Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

...and dust your kits for Christ's sake.

That actually is dusted (well, not the bases, but gently caress the bases), that's the topcoat I use catching the light. It doesn't look like that on the other two kits because of the lighter plastic. I'm thinking of changing topcoats just because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So Gundam Guy posted a review of the Miss Sazabi on his site, and there are only four stickers total! I'm feeling better and better about selecting this set, even if the design is rather polarizing from what I've been reading. One thing that bothers me is that the (vents?) on the shoulders are a sticker instead of a molded part, and the stickers seem slightly off color in comparison. How difficult would it be to construct vents out of styrene sheeting? Am I overthinking how to approach my first set? :ohdear:

S-Alpha posted:

That actually is dusted (well, not the bases, but gently caress the bases), that's the topcoat I use catching the light. It doesn't look like that on the other two kits because of the lighter plastic. I'm thinking of changing topcoats just because of that.

What topcoat are you using?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

centaurette hentai posted:

So Gundam Guy posted a review of the Miss Sazabi on his site, and there are only four stickers total! I'm feeling better and better about selecting this set, even if the design is rather polarizing from what I've been reading. One thing that bothers me is that the (vents?) on the shoulders are a sticker instead of a molded part, and the stickers seem slightly off color in comparison. How difficult would it be to construct vents out of styrene sheeting? Am I overthinking how to approach my first set? :ohdear:

I wouldn't worry too much about it. That picture's darker than the rest, so they're probably the same shade of yellow (or at least close enough you don't have to really care) under proper lighting.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Hahaha wow, the leg connections look exactly the same. Hope they bothered to fix the polycaps. (They probably didn't).

In any case, I'm actually really liking the design. Can't wait to see it in motion.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

So my HGUC Victory came in the mail and I'm just in love with the little Core Fighter it comes it, I don't even know when I'm going to build the main unit but dammit all this thing is adorable. :allears:

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012
I've been meaning to get into building MG models and I'd like to know if the MG Gundam X was a decent kit. I figure it would be a good one since it's a newer kit but it couldn't hurt to get some expert opinions on it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It was. It's way too simple a design to have what could be considered a bad MG nowadays. Pretty much the only "flaw" with it is that the purple capacitors all over it are transparent purple instead of solid purple to accommodate people who wanted to mod LEDs in. And I guess the fact it has the Wing vEW/SEED vRM changeable hands, but that's really easy to fix unless you are the laziest person alive.

Also no waterslides, unless you count SD's. If you do get his, make sure to tell him to change "Illumination System" to "Flash System". I still can't believe I didn't catch that when I got a set for my HG X Divider. :negative:

AFK Werewolf
Mar 2, 2013

Fighting Falken posted:

I've been meaning to get into building MG models and I'd like to know if the MG Gundam X was a decent kit. I figure it would be a good one since it's a newer kit but it couldn't hurt to get some expert opinions on it.

I had a lot of fun doing the Ez-8 MG, it's older but it's tank solid and a fun build. Not as much articulation as some of the newer ones, but I love the Ez-8 with all my heart. I like the Jesta a lot too, it was a super fun build and has insane amounts of articulation. Granted, I'm just getting into MG so I'm just doing stuff I like the designs of. My only suggestion is to avoid Unicorn Gundam, it caused me a lot of grief.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

S-Alpha posted:

That setup is actually easier on the arms than the normal FA Unicorn. The Phenex has a special backpack with mounts for the shields and armed armor de set, so they can be displayed like wings, and that's what that model is using. Normally, if you were to add the armed armor de expansions onto a normal FA Unicorn, it'd look like this:

Theoretically, that means you can have five shields on that kit, two on the arms, two on the wings, and one on the back. I might do that someday and proceed to break my shelving unit.

What kit is that middle guy? I want it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

PaintVagrant posted:

What kit is that middle guy? I want it.

MG Sinanju Stein, what the Sinanju originally looked like before Full Frontal had it Char'd the gently caress up.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Cool. Is it weird that all my favorite designs don't have the typical "antenna ninja mask" heads?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So my MG Sengoku Astray came in today and Jesus the amount of work and detail just the frame bits need is nuts. I wasn't super great with panel lining when I did the original red frame, so this is just a huge challenge. I'm in love with the kit though.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Am I wrong or are the v-fins supposed to echo the design of samurai helmets?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

unpurposed posted:

Am I wrong or are the v-fins supposed to echo the design of samurai helmets?

This is correct, the traditional Gundam Aesthetic is supposed to be reminiscent of samurai armor and various series hew to this with different levels of subtlety.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yes, Gundams are literally robot samurai. They even have skirt armor.

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

It was. It's way too simple a design to have what could be considered a bad MG nowadays. Pretty much the only "flaw" with it is that the purple capacitors all over it are transparent purple instead of solid purple to accommodate people who wanted to mod LEDs in. And I guess the fact it has the Wing vEW/SEED vRM changeable hands, but that's really easy to fix unless you are the laziest person alive.

Also no waterslides, unless you count SD's. If you do get his, make sure to tell him to change "Illumination System" to "Flash System". I still can't believe I didn't catch that when I got a set for my HG X Divider. :negative:

Okay, cool. That's something I was hoping for, a design I liked that wasn't too difficult and didn't have a lot of flaws. I'm sure there are plenty of kits like that, but the X is too cool to pass up.

AFK Werewolf posted:

I had a lot of fun doing the Ez-8 MG, it's older but it's tank solid and a fun build. Not as much articulation as some of the newer ones, but I love the Ez-8 with all my heart. I like the Jesta a lot too, it was a super fun build and has insane amounts of articulation. Granted, I'm just getting into MG so I'm just doing stuff I like the designs of. My only suggestion is to avoid Unicorn Gundam, it caused me a lot of grief.

I like the Unicorn a lot, but I've read enough of this thread to know what kind of problems that kit has. It looks kind of intimidating too, so there's another reason to avoid that thing. :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
GundamGuy's got a review up of that Silver and Gold HG Sumo twin-pack

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com.au/2014/03/p-bandai-online-hobby-shop-exclusive.html

I can never understand why you'd put stickers on a special-edition shiny metallic kit like this (not including the transparent ones on the Phenex or general eyepiece stickers). They just take away from the magnificent glory of their shininess :allears:.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The Unicorn pretty much falls into the "it's really impressive they managed to pull this off, but it's not that good of a kit" zone along with the Zeta, ZZ (given the time it was made) and Victory. It's a shame it won't get a 2.0 anytime soon, it was right after it that Bandai learned that you need a silver backing to make transparent pieces shine.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

What topcoat are you using?

I usually use Armory matte coat, which comes in a can twice the size of Mr Clear and half the price. It's great, and that dust usually goes away after a couple scrubs, but it takes a few weeks.

Also, I went out and bought a random HGUC Banshee to practice painting on, and I'm doing a custom scheme. How awful/gaudy does it look? (Sorry about the lovely photos, I lost my good camera.)

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Quick question that the op didn't answer: If I wanted to build a robot but had no prior experience with that, what are the tools/other useful things I should get to make it easier.

I made some as a kid but those were the little SD / no grade kits they released during the big gundam boom.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

You're in luck, I just finished editing that part of the guide.

quote:

Note: Almost all of the tools I suggest here have some sort of equally valid substitute. I want to avoid overwhelming you with options though, so I'm only listing what I consider to be the best picks.

The first tier is the bare minumum. You need a kit, micro flush cutters (Xuron 410s make a good budget option), a hobby knife (look for one with a cap), and superglue. That last one isn't needed if you stick to Gunpla, but if you want to get into ships or military kits it's needed.

The second tier encompasses basic touch-up tools. You'll want multiple grits of sandpaper (I recommend 400, 800, and 1200 for regular sandpaper, and fine/rough for sanding sticks), a mechanical pencil with 0.3mm lead, plastic cement, and disposable latex gloves.

The third tier has everything you might need to put on a decal. You want a cutting mat, clear tape, some sort blunt instrument, Pledge FloorCare Multisurface Finish (more commonly known as Future, used to be called Klear in the UK), decal setter, some q-tips, and a source of clean water.

In between tiers three and four is a clear coat. I put it in here because I'd like you to buy a protective facemask along with it, and what kind you get depends. If you're planning on going the full nine yards into the hobby, definitely pick up a respirator. If not, a simple filter mask will do.

The fourth tier includes everything you'd need for painting: a degreaser, 90% or more concentrated rubbing alcohol, paint, paint thinner, paint cups, masking tape, and primer. You'll also want something to keep your pieces in the air while the paint dries; a lot of people do what I did here and rig something up with a styrofoam block and alligator clips, but you can buy something more official too.

You'll also need something to paint with. What you should use is somewhat complex though, so I'll get into that in the appropriate section.

The fifth and final tier is an assortment of various modificiation tools. This includes sheets of styrene plastic (colloquially known as "plaplate"), a pin vice with small drill bits, brass rods (not pictured) of the same size as the drill bits, modelling putty, add-on kits, a scriber, a base for a diorama, scale props, and an active imagination.

Also any kit benefits from panel lining.

Not an empty quote.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

PaintVagrant posted:

Cool. Is it weird that all my favorite designs don't have the typical "antenna ninja mask" heads?

Maybe. But you're not the only one, I have a thing for mono-eye suits used by the Zeon, Titans, ZAFT and so on. What can I say, I like the bad guys. Japanese robot toys don't usually make a lot of bad guys... except for Gundam and Transformers.

I think the main reason why I like mono-eye suits is that because the eyes can move, they can "emote" sorta and look either menacing or scared depending on the angle of the head. When they move their eyes back and forth, they look kinda sneaky.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

GundamGuy's got a review up of that Silver and Gold HG Sumo twin-pack

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com.au/2014/03/p-bandai-online-hobby-shop-exclusive.html

I can never understand why you'd put stickers on a special-edition shiny metallic kit like this (not including the transparent ones on the Phenex or general eyepiece stickers). They just take away from the magnificent glory of their shininess :allears:.

I love the designs from Turn A, but the stickers and bad nubs on those kits make them look lovely as hell. I still might get the 1/100 Gold Sumo to go with my MG Turn A and eventual MG Turn X, though.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Do people do a clear coat before they apply graphite panel lining? Also, what there any downsides to using pencils to do panel lining compared to a panel wash?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So anyone else with the Sengoku Astray Master Grade, are your legs incredibly wobbly, because mine are full Hi-Nu levels. I can't be too mad though since the kit essentially came with parts to convert into a regular redframe and part of a blue frame.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Do people do a clear coat before they apply graphite panel lining?

The purpose of gloss coating before panel lining is to protect the layer of paint underneath. If you're not painting, there's no point.

quote:

Also, what there any downsides to using pencils to do panel lining compared to a panel wash?

Graphite rubs off very easily, and if you're not careful you can break the pencil lead and leave a fairly annoying mess. It's much easier to do than most other techniques though, and I personally find panel washes to be better for legitimate panel lines while pencils are better for highlighting raised detail.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Those Thunderbolt kits :allears:

Gihon
Jan 9, 2014

I've done about 3 HG kits so far. Is it time to try out an MG kit, or will I be in over my head?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Gihon posted:

I've done about 3 HG kits so far. Is it time to try out an MG kit, or will I be in over my head?

You should be ready for an MG; you'll probably find them a little easier because in general the pieces aren't as tiny as an HG, but there is more detail to accidentally damage if you screw up. MGs also take a fair bit longer to build overall than HGs.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

I really wanna know the story behind Thunderbolt. Those things are fuckin' ridiculous. A Zaku with 3 extra bazookas on his back? A Zaku manning a gigantic MS sized gun? Those are silly.

I like it how they all have cloth covering their joints though. Reminds me of Patlabor. I guess it's to keep out like, dust particles and stuff? Almost makes me want to put some actual cloth in the elbows and knees of my MGs and see how it works.

Gihon
Jan 9, 2014

Cool. Though I think I'll get another HG kit at the same time and do that first for more practice.

Also, does anyone have any tips for getting a Frame Arms kit to stand under its own weight? The kit is in a box right now because any time a breeze rolls in the torso joint gives out.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Gammatron 64 posted:

Almost makes me want to put some actual cloth in the elbows and knees of my MGs and see how it works.

Cloth doesn't scale well. The drapes and wrinkles you'd see on the full-sized object simply aren't going to happen in miniature. Usually when cloth is used in models it's treated with glue or varnish and sculpted into shape, which obviously rules out its use on moving parts.

The rubber sleeves you get in Patlabor kits aren't very good either, unfortunately. It's a problem with no real solution that doesn't involve freezing the joints.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Do waterslide decals have the wax paper sheet beneath them like rub-ons? I'm wondering how I can tell which is which. MG kits no longer come with waterslides?

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Do waterslide decals have the wax paper sheet beneath them like rub-ons? I'm wondering how I can tell which is which. MG kits no longer come with waterslides?

I have yet to actually apply the water slides I just got for my rg RX-78-2, but here's what I learned about the differences.

Water slides usually come with a blue backing, but sometimes they're green. Only the rub-ons have the wax paper. You can easily tell the difference between stickers and slides by looking at the sheet. Stickers will be super obviously stickers, with clear definition between each one while slides don't have that.

Basically, if it's not a rub on, and not a sticker, it's a slide. Process of elimination.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Gihon posted:

Also, does anyone have any tips for getting a Frame Arms kit to stand under its own weight? The kit is in a box right now because any time a breeze rolls in the torso joint gives out.

Get an action base or lean it against a wall. v:shobon:v

Gammatron 64 posted:

I really wanna know the story behind Thunderbolt. Those things are fuckin' ridiculous. A Zaku with 3 extra bazookas on his back? A Zaku manning a gigantic MS sized gun? Those are silly.

"Silly" is pretty much Thunderbolt's plot in one word.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Nowadays, Bandai decals can very easily be identified. Waterslides have a blue backing (and if you turn them around there are blue instructions how to apply them), stickers have a green backing, and dry transfers are clear and have wax paper underneath.

MGs pretty much never came with waterslides, only very big kits like Nu vKa and Sazabi vKa did.

EDIT: Since the "deadline" for my club's group build is coming up, yesterday night I powered through what was left of my V2.

Still need to do some seam welding and panel lining, but the the build is done. Got to admit, I'm really considering giving this kit the RG color scheme treatment. There's just so much white.

Also beam effects.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 8, 2014

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Gammatron 64 posted:

I like it how they all have cloth covering their joints though. Reminds me of Patlabor. I guess it's to keep out like, dust particles and stuff? Almost makes me want to put some actual cloth in the elbows and knees of my MGs and see how it works.

Thunderbolt takes place in the wreckage of a destroyed colony. The giant gun is so Zekes hiding in the wreckage can snipe passing ships, the cloth coverings and movable shields are put on the GMs so they can go after they snipers without getting completely wrecked by debris instantly.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Got to admit, I'm really considering giving this kit the RG color scheme treatment. There's just so much white.

Three parts white to one part dark gray is still too dark. Oh well, too late to go back now.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

BlitzBlast posted:

Three parts white to one part dark gray is still too dark. Oh well, too late to go back now.

Isn't it supposed to be 90% white or so?

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Okay so I got some new kits in the mail today, I got the Nobell Gundam beserker and Mr. Bushido's Ahead.

I bought some paints to go along with it but, I bought enamel paints instead of acylic, should I bother using the stickers or just got get some acrylic ones tomorrow?

Also can I use the enamel paints for something as I just suck as using them.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Looking it up, 95% white, 5% gray, and a pinch of blue. 75% white and 25% gray probably would have looked alright too, but all I had is dark gray.

I'm probably gonna be rebuilding this kit two more times for V2 Buster and V2 Assault anyways so I just can't give a crap. :effort:

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I bought some paints to go along with it but, I bought enamel paints instead of acylic, should I bother using the stickers or just got get some acrylic ones tomorrow?

If you plan on painting, don't bother with the stickers. The residue they leave behind is a bitch to paint over.

quote:

Also can I use the enamel paints for something as I just suck as using them.

Enamels are really great for panel lining and painting metallics (especially small details like vulcans).

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Mar 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

BlitzBlast posted:

If you plan on painting, don't bother with the stickers. The residue they leave behind is a bitch to paint over.

Enamels are really great for panel lining and painting metallics (especially small details like vulcans).

Thanks man, I've started using the stickers on the bushido build, It doesn't look too bad, For the nobell I'm going to get some acrylics.

Thanks for the heads up man.

EDIT: is there a way I can make my panel pen thinner? Since using it on my first kit it's got a little wider and requires 2-3 goes at it.

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Mar 9, 2014

• Locked thread