Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Steam versions of Duke 3D and Shadow Warrior Classic are $1 on the Humble Bundle this week, if you don't mind also getting some kind of lame-looking indie films along with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

al-azad posted:

Except Contract JACK.

I've not played any of the NOLF games, but Contract JACK is something I've only heard mentioned. What's wrong with it? Wasn't it developed by Monolith too? What'd they do to gently caress up the formula so bad that the only place I've ever heard of Contract JACK is Wikipedia?

Edit: Also, Kamrat, I just want to say how much I love your avatar.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

catlord posted:

I've not played any of the NOLF games, but Contract JACK is something I've only heard mentioned. What's wrong with it? Wasn't it developed by Monolith too? What'd they do to gently caress up the formula so bad that the only place I've ever heard of Contract JACK is Wikipedia?

Never played Contract JACK myself, but from all I hear, it's just a bad spin-off game that lacks all the stuff that makes NOLF fun and has a lovely auto-aim system that sucks all the fun out of the shooting, in a game that is just the shooting. Part of why NOLF is fun is because of the silly Super Spy plots and fun characters and good gameplay, so I can see how a game that cuts out all of that wouldn't be well-received.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Mar 7, 2014

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

It was also ridiculously hard with constant lack of ammo and hordes of sharp-shooting mooks. The main character being an unfunny brute didn't help also, as Cate was one of the most original characters in genre.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Keiya posted:

Is there a way to get the Duke expansions to work with eduke32 without going to the command line every time I want to play one of them?

Nope. All there is is a bunch of old forum posts on various Duke sites with the command lines. The Duke community refuses to streamline mods with launchers, tutorials.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Commander Keenan posted:

Nope. All there is is a bunch of old forum posts on various Duke sites with the command lines. The Duke community refuses to streamline mods with launchers, tutorials.

I'm still waiting for the DN3D and SW equivalent of Doom Builder. :argh:

Really though, I think most classic FPS games rarely have modern tools that are user friendly. Doom's easy to use and modern tools are the exception rather than the rule, as much as I wish otherwise. Even "big" titles from back in the day, like DN3D, use tools that are 13+ year old and user-unfriendly messes that occasionally don't run in a 64-bit OS. Good luck trying to mod obscure FPS games, like RoTT95, because nearly every editor for them only run in DOS. Unreal 1 and Serious Sam 1's editors are completely busted in 64-bit OSes (ignoring Unreal 1's 227 patch for a sec :v:), so even more "modern" classic FPS games have broken editors.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
All of the tools you need for Marathon editing work just fine in modern Windows/Macintosh :smug:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

The Kins posted:

I swear there was a thread about the Exploding Lips guy ages ago that died almost instantly. As far as I remember he's currently part of an instrumental band named after some Team Fortress stuff. Maybe that was just a bad dream while I was feeling ill?

He goes by EJ Gold, Gorebagg and a hundred other names. A quick Google search will turn up an inexhaustible torrent of :wtf: , I don't even know where to start with that guy.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RyokoTK posted:

All of the tools you need for Marathon editing work just fine in modern Windows/Macintosh :smug:

There's a windows toolset for Aleph One?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Apparently Dishonored 2 also gets you access to the 'Doom Beta'. Remember when demo versions didn't pretend to be beta releases, were free for everyone, could be shared, and were like the first third of the game?

closeted republican posted:

Unreal 1 and Serious Sam 1's editors are completely busted in 64-bit OSes

Be fair. Unreal 1's editor is completely busted no matter what you run it on. Even UEd2 is baaarely functional.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
UnrealEd 1 was written in Visual Basic. That's really all you need to know about that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Keiya posted:

Apparently Dishonored 2 also gets you access to the 'Doom Beta'. Remember when demo versions didn't pretend to be beta releases, were free for everyone, could be shared, and were like the first third of the game?

Not even Quake did that, as legit beta builds of Quake were released that only had very minimal content and were around many months before the shareware episode came out.

Doom 4 doesn't even have a release date yet, but it's looking like that won't be til 2015. So that's a far cry from the way your classic shareware games worked, where you didn't get that first episode unless the other episodes would be available to buy in like a week.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Mother of God!

Pity it's, you know, $375-$400.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Iron Crowned posted:

There's a windows toolset for Aleph One?

Weland to make maps, Shapefusion to do sounds/shapes/physics files, Atque to merge it all together. Plus Notepad, I guess.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Anyone remember the old Aliens FPS back in the day? I do recall playing that game extensively on Dosbox back in the day, but now I can't even recall the title or the date. Fun game, that was.

If anyone finds info about this, please do let me know. It's pretty much a Doom clone, but was fairly good and I remember it fondly.

Edit: Found it. It was The Alien Trilogy.

This is one of those games that actually got me into the AVP games (AVP2000 & AVP2) and looking back at it, it still looks fun and atmospheric despite its age. It's a little rough around the edges, but give it a try if you get your hands on it.

As far as I'm aware, this game is in copyright limbo, so it'll probably won't cost you anything trying out this port.

The Kins posted:

The System Shock stuff was negotiated by Night Dive Studios, who claim to be a game development studio but seemingly mostly just arrange for old-rear end games to get re-releases on GOG and Steam. They also handled Wizardry, I Have No Mouth..., 7th Guest and Shadowman, from the looks of their site.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was wondering how and where these came to be, especially regarding Shadowman which was stuck in a limbo for a while. I'm actually quite happy for that.

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

Keiya posted:

Be fair. Unreal 1's editor is completely busted no matter what you run it on. Even UEd2 is baaarely functional.

Naw, I think it's quite obviously a fake, since the "Preorder bonuses" image says that Dishonoured 2 is a 2016 release and why would they be doing preorder bonuses already.

Plus Wolf at least is related to Doom, so it makes some sense for it to be a bonus.

Plus no Gaming Journalists have even given it a mention and googling it dosen't even bring up the actual image, which is generally also a tip off. :v:

Some dumb idiot fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 7, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

Mother of God!

No buddy running after you in the background? Pre-order canceled.

catlord posted:

Imagine if Ion Storm released "THE OFFICIAL PREQUEL" to Deus Ex and it ended up being a completely linear corridor shooter where absolutely nothing interesting happens and enemies run at you like targets at a shooting range. Now keep in mind that combat wasn't ever the focus of Deus Ex and getting into extended firefights with multiple assailants is bad because you're pretty physically weak so you die real quick, enemies have pinpoint accuracy, and there's poo poo for ammo or health in an era before regenerating health. Now strip away all the exploration, plot, and RPG mechanics and you have Contract JACK.

Gameplay wise it reminded me of Bioshock Infinite if you only had guns and you took out Elizabeth and every story event. It's just shooting the same enemy models in narrow corridors for 3 hours. The first time I ever felt truly let down with a sequel/expansion pak and I have a high tolerance for mediocre games. I even enjoyed Invisible War for what it was, at least it had some respect for the franchise.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

The Kins posted:

Mother of God!

I dunno, I'd rather spend that kind of money on a mint, in box original registered version of Doom. What do people do with all the goofy figures and things they get from crazy special editions?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

mod sassinator posted:

I dunno, I'd rather spend that kind of money on a mint, in box original registered version of Doom. What do people do with all the goofy figures and things they get from crazy special editions?

Preserve their precious virginity, I guess?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

uncleKitchener posted:

Anyone remember the old Aliens FPS back in the day? I do recall playing that game extensively on Dosbox back in the day, but now I can't even recall the title or the date. Fun game, that was.

If anyone finds info about this, please do let me know. It's pretty much a Doom clone, but was fairly good and I remember it fondly.

Edit: Found it. It was The Alien Trilogy.

This is one of those games that actually got me into the AVP games (AVP2000 & AVP2) and looking back at it, it still looks fun and atmospheric despite its age. It's a little rough around the edges, but give it a try if you get your hands on it.

Don't forget about Aliens TC http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Aliens_TC which is a classic

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

The Kins posted:

UnrealEd 1 was written in Visual Basic. That's really all you need to know about that.

It's loving amazing that they managed to make Unreal 1 as good as it is when you see how bad the editor is. The devs must've had the patience of saints.

Install Windows posted:

Not even Quake did that, as legit beta builds of Quake were released that only had very minimal content and were around many months before the shareware episode came out.

Doom 4 doesn't even have a release date yet, but it's looking like that won't be til 2015. So that's a far cry from the way your classic shareware games worked, where you didn't get that first episode unless the other episodes would be available to buy in like a week.

Back then, betas were actually used to test the game and see how it operates on various systems. Now, they're demos with a cool-sounding word replacing "demo".

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Back then, betas were actually used to test the game and see how it operates on various systems. Now, they're demos with a cool-sounding word replacing "demo".

The latter part is what isn't true.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

The Kins posted:

The Steam versions of Duke 3D and Shadow Warrior Classic are $1 on the Humble Bundle this week, if you don't mind also getting some kind of lame-looking indie films along with it.

I'm curious how you found this. It's not linked on their main page as the weekly bundle is for pop cap games and even their update blog doesn't mentioned it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah, I could see wasting blowing money on a boxed copy, but--as cool as this is to look at--I couldn't imagine actually owning it and, you know, having it in my home. I also bought the Doom shirt that displays this scene...and it's cool as balls and I wear it all the time. It's actually a real quality shirt.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Vakal posted:

I'm curious how you found this. It's not linked on their main page as the weekly bundle is for pop cap games and even their update blog doesn't mentioned it.

I found the link through a news post on a gaming website. I wish they would put it front and center and I encourage everyone to donate everything to charity because it's assisting Brandon Boyer, the chairman for IGF. He has cancer and his insurance company basically said "gently caress you, pay your own $100,000 bill."

Then they sent him a chocolate bar as an apology for being unable to help him with cancer. I'm loving serious.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Vakal posted:

Devolver linked it on Twitter a few times.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Keiya posted:

No matter how bad UEd2 is, at least you no longer need to use UEd1 to mod Unreal 1. Gotta look at the bright side.

The same can't be said for Deus Ex and Wheel of Time. They'll always be using UEd 1. :(

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The same can't be said for Deus Ex and Wheel of Time. They'll always be using UEd 1. :(
Could have swore someone hacked UT99's UEd2 a bit to make it Deus Ex compliant... lemme check.... yep, it exists but it's a tad buggy (can't see meshes in the editor, for example)

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
edit: Got it sorted out!

spider wisdom fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 8, 2014

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.
Any recommendations for WADs if I wanted to play through the whole Ultimate Doom campaign with 8-16 other players co-op style? I was going to use the 10x enemies WAD, and these people have heard about Brutal Doom and want to go that direction.

Pretty new to this, usually I just go straight to Shotgun Frenzy.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
This won't work for largescale coop, but I just discovered Pokédoom and it is the most gloriously stupid and amazing thing ever. Tip: you need to pick a slot before you can catch a demon, use the 1-6 keys to do so.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
UT2k4's maps aren't really all that good. Sure, there's a lot of them, but most of them are ridiculously large and are really overdetailed. The maps from UT2k3 are the worse, as they're basically huge hallways with a ton of static meshes slapped into a level to make them look more fancy than they really are. I was playing CTF-Avaris a few hours ago, and nearly every part of the map has a ton of pointless statues and/or particles that just clutter up the map and make it a bitch to figure out where you're going. It was pretty stupid.

The outdoors maps seem are mostly identical because they seem to consist entirely of samey-looking hills with one or two structures thrown in to give you a reference to where you're at. The only one that really sticks out for me is DM-Antalus, and that's because there's actually a building or two in the level instead of endless hills.

I'm not saying that all of UT2k4's maps are garbage (DM-Grendlekeep is pretty nice for hitscan fun), but I think UT99 did a much better job with it's default maps. A majority of them play well and there's not a billion statues and metal arches everywhere to make the levels look more much detailed than they really are. The maps also have a decent scale, which means you all of your arsenal is effective instead of everyone plinking each other to death with the Shock or Sniper Rifle. They're not perfect, but they're noticeably more fun that UT2k4's are.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Counterpoint: Goatse.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
Are UT99 and 2k4's multiplayers still active much?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

It's loving amazing that they managed to make Unreal 1 as good as it is when you see how bad the editor is. The devs must've had the patience of saints.

I'm pretty sure most early FPS editors were buggy and lovely like that. They were pretty much just a basic tool that was designed to get through the process of creating the game.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I find UT99 more fun than UT2004 just because of the :krad: music.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Are UT99 and 2k4's multiplayers still active much?

2k4 does have a few populated servers but I had a hard time finding active games in 99 because half the servers that had players present told me I had to install some plugin and wouldn't connect.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Starhawk64 posted:

I find UT99 more fun than UT2004 just because of the :krad: music.

UT99 has better music and, most importantly, doesn't have Space Egypt. UT2k3/2k4 devs really thought that poo poo was cool for some reason.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Space Egypt. UT2k3/2k4 devs really thought that poo poo was cool for some reason.

Stargate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I just have a YouTube playlist that's predominately UT'99 and Hotline Miami music that I play in the background while I'm playing games like Doom or Unreal Tournament '99/2k4. There are a lot of other one-off songs that amp me up for killing poo poo, too.

UT99 has better music and, most importantly, doesn't have Space Egypt. UT2k3/2k4 devs really thought that poo poo was cool for some reason.

I didn't really understand it, myself. Maybe it was a nod to Stargate fans? Maybe there's some significant overlap between Stargate fans and people who play Unreal Tournament.

And maybe there's some significant overlap between people who love big meaty men in giant formless suits and people who play UT3.