Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I don't particularly trust the Washington Times as a source. Why were the police raiding Witaschek's house? edit: apparently, because his estranged wife said he threatened her with a gun. This is the second time they found ammo in his house.

On Boonstra, it appears the actual cost calculation never occurred. Boonstra was probably used as a sympathetic face, and her story was what Obamacare opponents wanted to hear, so the facts were unimportant.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie
On David Gregory: An ATF official told NBC that displaying an empty magazine would be legal. The official was wrong, due to some miscommunication between the ATF person and an individual at the MPD, but it's not like Gregory was trying to openly flout law enforcement, which was a factor in the decision not to prosecute (along with the fact that he was trying to fulfill the press's role of informing the public about an ongoing policy debate).

As for the idea that Witaschek is being prosecuted mercilessly, he was offered a plea deal for a $500 fine and no jail. He refused. Oh, and the police were searching his home because of allegations that he threatened his estranged wife with a gun.

Incidentally, if you'd like to see all the details LeJackal omitted from the WT article he quoted from, here's the article in full.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

AtraMorS posted:

Incidentally, if you'd like to see all the details LeJackal omitted from the WT article he quoted from, here's the article in full.

There is some good stuff in there, like the court finding that the allegations of him making threats were completely baseless.

Sorry I didn't include a link in my post. I'll be sure to do so next time.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

LeJackal posted:

There is some good stuff in there, like the court finding that the allegations of him making threats were completely baseless.

Sorry I didn't include a link in my post. I'll be sure to do so next time.
It's actually the dishonest nature with which you manipulated quotes from the article that's a problem. Make sure you include ellipses as well when you're cutting out paragraphs at a time.

The judge also didn't make that ruling until August, 2012, and simply cited a lack of evidence for the phone call, not that the claim was "completely baseless."

quote:

But in court, Judge Jose Lopez denied Ms. Landinez’s request for a civil protection order (CPO) (and financial support) in Aug. 2012, saying there was no evidence of a threatening phone call.
The search in question was executed in July of that year, before said judge's ruling. Edit: Not to mention Judge Lopez was denying a restraining order, not ruling on whether or not the allegation was grounds for a warrant. Judge Molin, in Witaschek's actual trial, upheld that warrant.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/feb/23/trial-mark-witaschek-washington-dc-one-shotgun-she/?page=all

(Yes, I feel dirty quoting the Times.)

AtraMorS fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 8, 2014

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
There has to be more to this story than is being reported. If they are going after him that much and the only thing they had was someone's word that he said something then it was an overreach by law enforcement.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

dalstrs posted:

There has to be more to this story than is being reported. If they are going after him that much and the only thing they had was someone's word that he said something then it was an overreach by law enforcement.

Or maybe it is just an overreach by law enforcement? No need to try propping up your Just World fallacy.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

quote:

Who told you that was "perfectly fine," you dumb gently caress? Tons of people on both sides of the aisle, including the ACLU, came down hard on Chicago for even proposing the idea and nothing ever came of it. And that was like two years ago.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
If one liberal proposes an idea, all liberals like the idea. Duh.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

If one liberal proposes an idea, all liberals like the idea. Duh.

One of us, one of us!

Now let me tell you about a little thing that all the ni urban feral thug negros are doing called the knockout game. They are all doing it, because they are all black and act as one unit you see. :v:

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

I don't know what's worse; the "peaceful" Russian invasion of Crimea; claiming that the US started the Korean War or cleaning that the USSR didn't have any links to North Vietnam... I've posted about this guy before, he's a literal emo brony fascist; so his statuses are usually really funny...

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
All Russia ever did was invade this one country one time. Nothing else. They certainly were not the other world power asserting dominance throughout the Cold War. And they never killed any German Civilians during WW2.

Nope, just good old peaceful Russia.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

That is a guy who really misunderstood why the Gulf of Tonkin incident was bullshit.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Re-shared by a conservative white male from a group called "political correctness gone wild":

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

seiferguy posted:

Re-shared by a conservative white male from a group called "political correctness gone wild":

"When is my Straight White Male History Month?" :qq:

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

LeJackal posted:

Or maybe it is just an overreach by law enforcement? No need to try propping up your Just World fallacy.

It's possible, but it's hard to get that from your heavily edited quotations of an article in a Mooney newspaper.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

vyelkin posted:

"When is my Straight White Male History Month?" :qq:

A British comedian named Richard Herring spent most of yesterday (International Women's Day) responding to all the 'So, is there going to be an International Men's day? Thought not libtards :smug:' twitter posts.

It's November 19th.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/03/08/16-people-who-completely-missed-the-point-of-international-womens-day-4479014/

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

dalstrs posted:

He had unregistered firearms in a district where it is unlawful to possess such things without them being registered.

A criminal complaint was filed against him for domestic violence and making threats to use a deadly weapon.

He consented to a search of his home, which was conducted without a warrant but with his consent.

The search determined that he was in violation of the law.

He was offered a plea deal, he rejected it and insisted on going to trial.

In what way is any of that "going after him that much"?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn't there another right-libertarian who got arrested for smoking a joint in public. What happened to him?

Also who gives a gently caress about David Gregory?

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

McDowell posted:

Wasn't there another right-libertarian who got arrested for smoking a joint in public. What happened to him?

Also who gives a gently caress about David Gregory?

He works in DC, same city as Obongo. Probably eats arugula. Thinks he's better than me!

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protest_permit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_registration#United_States

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

seiferguy posted:

What is it with conservatives completely and utterly failing to understand any hint of context?

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Guilty Spork posted:

What is it with conservatives completely and utterly failing to understand any hint of context?

They don't get a lot of things - irony being another big one.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Keshik posted:

He had unregistered firearms in a district where it is unlawful to possess such things without them being registered.

A criminal complaint was filed against him for domestic violence and making threats to use a deadly weapon.

He consented to a search of his home, which was conducted without a warrant but with his consent.

The search determined that he was in violation of the law.

He was offered a plea deal, he rejected it and insisted on going to trial.

In what way is any of that "going after him that much"?

He didn't have an registered firearm, the gun he had was exempt because it was an antique.

It was the 2nd search in a month.

His underage daughter let the police in.

Being offered a plea deal because he had a single shotgun shell is dumb.

And I think it was his ex-wife said he threatened her. The word of one person should not be enough to search someones house.

I'm as liberal as the next guy, but from the source that was posted it looks like a bullshit excuse to hassle a guy. Like I said before it is possible poo poo was left out of the article posted but if the facts of the article were a correct account of what happened it was an overreach by police.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mo_Steel posted:

Affording Health Care and Education on the Minimum Wage

It's easy, it only takes 10 full-time weeks out of the year at minimum wage to afford to enroll in one year of a 2 year college program. Just don't eat anything or need any car repairs or pay any bills for one week out of every month and you'll be there in no time. :smugbert:

Or work two full time minimum wage jobs and be a full time student, then for only one week out of each month you have to find a way to survive on $290 for your 16 hours of labor instead of the $580 you'd be getting from both jobs. I'm not sure when you'll sleep working 80 hours a week and being a full time student but I'm sure you'll manage.

Isn't it a better argument to approach it from the perspective that even if everyone automagically had enough money, intelligence, drive, etc etc to get a college degree or even a PHD, you literally cannot have a society where no one is working minimum wage?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

Isn't it a better argument to approach it from the perspective that even if everyone automagically had enough money, intelligence, drive, etc etc to get a college degree or even a PHD, you literally cannot have a society where no one is working minimum wage?

Depends on the person you are arguing the subject with honestly. Some people respond to an argument on numbers, some people respond to an argument on morals. I do think arguing that 'because somebody is going to have to wash cars / make hamburgers / wait tables / clean toilets that we should guarantee that jobs pay an acceptable minimum rate for more than barely surviving in poverty' is a valid argument to make on moral grounds, but a one of the reasons people argue that it's acceptable to pay those jobs a tiny pittance is the argument that people can readily and easily escape those jobs with the smallest of efforts and thus those people are shiftless slacker moocher bums who want free stuff forever.

In essence I'm angling at the supporting argument with my response. If people can't easily or readily escape terribly paying jobs is it still ethical to oppose paying people who may be trapped in those jobs wages that are barely survivable?

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 9, 2014

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

dalstrs posted:

And I think it was his ex-wife said he threatened her. The word of one person should not be enough to search someones house.

I'm as liberal as the next guy, but from the source that was posted it looks like a bullshit excuse to hassle a guy. Like I said before it is possible poo poo was left out of the article posted but if the facts of the article were a correct account of what happened it was an overreach by police.

Just a hint, dismissing domestic violence out of hand does mean you're a pretty lovely liberal at best.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

rkajdi posted:

Just a hint, dismissing domestic violence out of hand does mean you're a pretty lovely liberal at best.

Alleged. It's not dismissing domestic violence to say that an allegation of domestic violence isn't enough for a search of a house.

prom candy fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 9, 2014

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

prom candy posted:

Alleged. It's not dismissing domestic violence to say that an allegation of domestic violence isn't enough for a search of a house.

If someone alleges domestic violence with a weapon, looking for a weapon in their possession is not overkill, sorry dude.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

13Pandora13 posted:

If someone alleges domestic violence with a weapon, looking for a weapon in their possession is not overkill, sorry dude.

So if your ex-girlfriend says you threatened to shoot her it is ok for the police to search your house?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

dalstrs posted:

So if your ex-girlfriend says you threatened to shoot her it is ok for the police to search your house?

I suppose the counter would be "should the police's hands be tied if someone threatens to shoot you?"

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

dalstrs posted:

When my ex boyfriend threatened to shoot me, yes, I totally hope the police searched his house.

(edit)

Here's the thing - if she was lying, and the search turned up nothing, she would be liable for making a false report. You don't get to willy-nilly make false reports, and police can/should take appropriate action to assess/investigate threats. He had an illegal weapon (?). It's not as if he did nothing wrong.

13Pandora13 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 9, 2014

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

13Pandora13 posted:

For real. This is one of the few times that law enforcement got a domestic violence issue right, but because it was against some gun nut he gets to try to spin it as "poor me" versus "I am a poo poo who threatens to hurt my ex". And he's too drat dumb to follow the laws about the thing he's supposedly passionate about, sounds like a winning combination.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Inspector Hound posted:

I suppose the counter would be "should the police's hands be tied if someone threatens to shoot you?"

I would say if the only thing the police can do is search a house then their hands are already tied.

13Pandora13 posted:

When my ex boyfriend threatened to shoot me, yes, I totally hope the police searched his house.

(edit)

Here's the thing - if she was lying, and the search turned up nothing, she would be liable for making a false report. You don't get to willy-nilly make false reports, and police can/shoould take appropriate action to assess/investigate threats. He had an illegal weapon. It's not as if he did nothing wrong.

And if they find a gun does that mean he said it? All we have is your word against his. A large percent of the population owns guns, so finding a gun would be evidence of nothing and would not prove that he ever threatened you.

Edit: didn't see the last part before I replied, but very rarely do people get charged with making false accusations. If they don't find a gun it doesn't prove anything either, he very well could have threatened her, still it doesn't prove anything one way or the other.

dalstrs fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 9, 2014

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

dalstrs posted:

Yes, especially when said person is a resident of an area requiring mandatory fire arm registration, and in which he isn't on the registry. That is pretty straight forward PC.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

dalstrs posted:

I would say if the only thing the police can do is search a house then their hands are already tied.

And if they find a gun does that mean he said it? All we have is your word against his. A large percent of the population owns guns, so finding a gun would be evidence of nothing and would not prove that he ever threatened you.

If someone allegedly makes a threat with a weapon, the police should assess if they are capable of carrying that threat out.

I'm going to assume you've never been through domestic courts and the restraining order process, but it's NOT easy. It's not a matter of you just say something and they take your word for it.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

dalstrs posted:

He still violated the firearms law! I loving love how this is immediately turned to being the woman's fault, even though she's the accuser not the accused. Can we get some rape dismissal in here for some extra misogyny?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Sure, hang on, I can do that and more. It wasn't her fault she hallucinated her husband threatened her, she was forced to do it by her ovaries. :biotruths:, y'all! Besides, all this is talk about wimmin is a distraction from the real issue: why didn't he shoot all those cops who invaded his sovereign property?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm not defending this guy because it seems pretty obvious that he's a shithead who is guilty, but if an allegation of domestic violence is enough for a search why didn't the police have a warrant?

I'm not arguing that the woman's wrong, or anything like that. I'm arguing that I don't want police combing through my poo poo because of an allegation.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

rkajdi posted:

He still violated the firearms law! I loving love how this is immediately turned to being the woman's fault, even though she's the accuser not the accused. Can we get some rape dismissal in here for some extra misogyny?

I'm speaking in general terms for it being PC, not this specific case.

I never said it was the woman's fault. The fact of the matter is one person's word should not be probable cause to search someone's house. If it is then you can get anyone's house searched because they piss you off.

prom candy posted:

I'm not defending this guy because it seems pretty obvious that he's a shithead who is guilty, but if an allegation of domestic violence is enough for a search why didn't the police have a warrant?

I'm not arguing that the woman's wrong, or anything like that. I'm arguing that I don't want police combing through my poo poo because of an allegation.

Exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
And another thing what if she lies about being on birth control, can I force her to get an abortion to counteract this spermjacking?! I'm just asking questions here, it's a troubling world we live in for men.