Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Queen Elizatits posted:

Benny you have never responded to me in this thread I don't think but I hope you read this.

Benny Please Read These Words

Part of what I did when I helped with hiring people was do quick internet searches to make sure nothing too terrible came up.

The aim id you have on your SA profile is connected to your real name, it's the first thing that comes up on google. Also either your aim name or your blog name, I can't remember which, are connected to a few sites where you mention the fetish you wouldn't name earlier in the thread. It's not illegal so personally it's not something I would care about but I don't know how open minded the people interviewing you are.

You need to keep your professional life separate from your private life. You have hopefully already gotten this advice but just in case not you need to have a completely unique email address to put on applications/resumes and it shouldn't be anything but some combination of your name. Don't mention your blog on your resume at all.

I'm not trying to shame you and I really hope no one else does the same search and posts poo poo in this thread but this is something you need to address and would certainly explain why you get interviews but no offers after people have had a chance to check you out.
Oh, that's not my real name. "Benny Ortiz" is a fake name.

Oh and as for the Target interview, it's been re-scheduled for the 19th. After not getting a call from HR, I got a hold of their HR rep and she told me they were understaffed. I'd be inclined to believe that they were blowing me off and rightfully so. However, when I was connected to their HR the first couple of times it sounded like they were in the middle of moving things around. So yeah, looks like the 19th is on.

I called Sears today and HR told me that there's no note next to my name indicating whether I'm moving on or not so she'll talk to one of the managers I spoke to. At least I have an interview next week with Olive Garden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
God drat I love this thread. Everything just bounces off of you. You're the boy who will never change. It's incredible.

Good luck with Olive Garden, I guess.

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Arian_Samurai posted:

22. Guy who cleans out the porta johns after music festivals

Oh hell no. I knew a guy who did that (crazy good money) and he fell in the sewerage tank when he was emptying them and nearly died of Weil's disease. Not a good fit for Benny.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS

Benny the Snake posted:

Why don't I buy this?

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Uncle Salty posted:

Why don't I buy this?

I don't know, but I don't buy it either. Possibly because it seems unlikely someone careless enough to use his SA-specific AIM name elsewhere would put in the effort to stick with a fake name. Possibly because he's so open and honest about everything when talking to people one-on-one. There doesn't seem to be any exception to that.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

I believe that his name is not really Benny Ortiz.

IMG SHOWING WHY I BELIEVE

removed cause apparently i dunno. it's not really hard to find that stuff if you want to.

crabrock fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 7, 2014

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
If you're trying to hide Benny's real name you just did a poor job maybe you should remove that image. Not very hard to find from that image.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

yeah, it took me literally two seconds. take it out dude.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
The main tragedy in all of this is the glaring omission of a review of The Hangover on Benny's film blog.

Or even Hard Target :laugh:

franco
Jan 3, 2003

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

BKPR posted:

yeah, it took me literally two seconds. take it out dude.

exactly. I'm just saying that his "not my real name" doesn't mean that there's not a trail of crumbs back to his real name. anyway...

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Benny have you tried getting addicted to crack and becoming homeless? I think this could solve a lot of your problems.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Quantum Finger posted:

Benny have you tried getting addicted to crack and becoming homeless? I think this could solve a lot of your problems.

Coming soon to Benny's resume:

Door to door magazine salesman!

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Straight to the top of the applicant list.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Nice Office Space reference.

Anyway, I've scheduled a second interview with Sears tomorrow. I'm going to tell my interviewer how I'm experienced and comfortable signing up people for credit cards from my work at Target. And I guess I'll have to mis-direct why I was let go from Target. I'm not comfortable with it because I have a sneaking suspicion that it'll come back to bite me in the rear end much like this thread. But I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 7, 2014

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Don't misdirect (as in deny or make up stories) just don't elaborate too much.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Zedd posted:

Don't misdirect (as in deny or make up stories) just don't elaborate too much.
So be vague then. I can do that.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

Yes Benny, yes you can.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Screw the enemy's gate man, I've got a fucking TAIL!
Do you know how crazy the ladies go for those?

Benny the Snake posted:

First actual true statement out of you this whole drat thread.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Maybe try heroin? If you want to get better at lying you should get hooked on heroin and start lying to everyone. You'd also learn the valuable art of stealing, and you might get some action when you run out of money and have to suck dick for smack.

Have some gumption, son.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Quantum Finger posted:

Maybe try heroin? If you want to get better at lying you should get hooked on heroin and start lying to everyone. You'd also learn the valuable art of stealing, and you might get some action when you run out of money and have to suck dick for smack.

Have some gumption, son.

Fetish revealed?

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

The one the only. Accept no substitutes.

Quantum Finger posted:

Have some gumption, son.

He'd probably wind up trying to snort tar and suffocating himself.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

almightyerin posted:

He'd probably wind up trying to snort tar and suffocating himself.

If he was trying to kill himself on purpose he probably couldn't do it for the life of him.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Benny the Snake posted:

Well, until you put your mind to it.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Benny the Snake posted:

Hey Benny! First off I want to thank you for reading and replying. Most people would have given up on this thread and I think it's awesome you keep updating. I think though you may have missed another point I was making which is totally understandable I tend to type a lot of words.

Again this is coming from someone who did hiring for Sears and I assume the same applies to most companies. The internet search I would do was very brief, certainly nothing like what SASS does. So while it's cool that the stuff that comes up from your aim name is not connected to your real name my second point is when an interviewer googles your
Name
Phone number
email address
Nothing should come up. I mean maybe a linkedin profile and the white pages, things like that. Not a SASS thread, not a fetish site, not someone else's name.

If we had 100 people interview for one job sure you can eliminate some applicants easily but when it comes down to 25 people who are all basically very similar we had to use some pretty insignificant stuff to narrow it down. I've seen people be passed over because their email address was theirname69@gmail.com

That was a lot of words to make the point that I hope the email address you use on your resume/applications is your name only or your name and birthday, something along those lines. And you should only use that address for work related stuff.

Benny the Snake posted:

Anyway, I've scheduled a second interview with Sears tomorrow. I'm going to tell my interviewer how I'm experienced and comfortable signing up people for credit cards from my work at Target. And I guess I'll have to mis-direct why I was let go from Target. I'm not comfortable with it because I have a sneaking suspicion that it'll come back to bite me in the rear end much like this thread. But I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens.

The fact that you got a second interview is a great sign. If I was you I would say something along the lines of while you loved working as a cashier for target cart corralling wasn't your thing and you were hoping to find a position where customer interaction would be the majority of your job. Word that though so it makes sense. Never say anything bad about the previous place you worked for but it never bothered me if someone mentioned there was a specific aspect of their job they didn't feel suited for unless that would be part of the job they were interviewing for. I assume this Sears doesn't have carts but check on that I guess before you say anything about it. And then yammer on about why you would be good at extolling the many virtues of the Sears card.

I am editing to add that if you can take a moment and research the Sears card before your interview so you can sell it to the interviewer, they would cream their pants over that.

Sears.com posted:

Sears Card®

Exclusive monthly savings and special financing offers
$0 Liability on unauthorized purchases
Additional users at no extra cost
Temporary shopping pass at Sears and Kmart if you forget your card*
Use at Sears, Kmart, Sears.com, Kmart.com, Lands' End, and more
Citi Identity Theft Solutions

* I.D. required. Sears and Kmart stores only.

Sears.com posted:

Sears MasterCard® Card
No annual fee
Monthly sales events and special financing offers every day
Shop everywhere MasterCard® credit cards are accepted
MasterCard Exclusive benefits such as Purchase Assurance®
$0 Liability on Unauthorized Purchases

What makes the Sears MasterCard® Card different than a Sears Card®?

The Sears MasterCard® Card offers the same great benefits as a Sears Card®, but it may also be used at millions of locations that accept MasterCard® credit cards. It can also be used for cash advances at thousands of ATM and branch banks all over the world, if your account has a cash advance feature.

You can do it Benny!

Queen Elizatits fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 8, 2014

MEMRI
Jun 18, 2012

Queen Elizatits posted:

Hey Benny! First off I want to thank you for reading and replying. Most people would have given up on this thread and I think it's awesome you keep updating. I think though you may have missed another point I was making which is totally understandable I tend to type a lot of words.

Again this is coming from someone who did hiring for Sears and I assume the same applies to most companies. The internet search I would do was very brief, certainly nothing like what SASS does. So while it's cool that the stuff that comes up from your aim name is not connected to your real name my second point is when an interviewer googles your
Name
Phone number
email address
Nothing should come up. I mean maybe a linkedin profile and the white pages, things like that. Not a SASS thread, not a fetish site, not someone else's name.

If we had 100 people interview for one job sure you can eliminate some applicants easily but when it comes down to 25 people who are all basically very similar we had to use some pretty insignificant stuff to narrow it down. I've seen people be passed over because their email address was theirname69@gmail.com

That was a lot of words to make the point that I hope the email address you use on your resume/applications is your name only or your name and birthday, something along those lines. And you should only use that address for work related stuff.

I am very excited to pursue this opportunity and would be eager to set up a time to discuss further how I would be an excellent candidate for this position. Please do not hesitate to contact me at (555)-123-4567 or at 420weedlord@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

MEMRI posted:

I am very excited to pursue this opportunity and would be eager to set up a time to discuss further how I would be an excellent candidate for this position. Please do not hesitate to contact me at (555)-123-4567 or at 420weedlord@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

You're joking but you would be amazed at some of the email addresses I have seen on otherwise professional resumes. I don't know if people think interviewers are old people who just sit isolated in a box 24 hours a day so there is no way they would know what a dirty sanchez or a cleveland steamer is but I've seen variations of both of those.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Thanks for the advice and encouragement. The interview is later on today, and I'm already dressed and prepared. I just hope I make such a good impression on them that I get hired on the spot.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Maybe I'm an outlier but I would hire clevelandsteamer69@gmail.com if they were competent and personable in real life.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Jeffrey posted:

Maybe I'm an outlier but I would hire clevelandsteamer69@gmail.com if they were competent and personable in real life.

Do you have a corporate job?

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Benny, give the thank you card to the interviewer before the interview even begins. This will demonstrate initiative and a can-do attitude.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

MEMRI posted:

Sincerely,

Obviously it's the 420 that's the problem; if only they had used weedlord.bonerhitler@gmail.com instead.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Benny the Snake posted:

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. The interview is later on today, and I'm already dressed and prepared. I just hope I make such a good impression on them that I get hired on the spot.

Sorry more words. Another thing that may help you is Sears is really big on hiring people from within the company. I started out taking orders and ended up in marketing, PR, and purchasing. Which I am sure is shocking because I know I type like an idiot. So if it's something you are still wanting to be paid for writing you might really enjoy marketing. Plus it's a good way to answer that "where do see yourself in five years" question. "I've heard there is always room for advancement within Sears and ideally I would see myself still working for this company something something something"

Jeffrey posted:

Personally I wasn't offended at all but Sears has a very high opinion of itself as being a classy store for classy older ladies and they don't like funny things.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Do you have a corporate job?

Yes? I mean it is still a negative, and I understand why an HR person might not want to do so as policy, but having seen how few candidates are truly competent, I could accept that one.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Jeffrey posted:

Yes? I mean it is still a negative, and I understand why an HR person might not want to do so as policy, but having seen how few candidates are truly competent, I could accept that one.

I think it would depend on the position; I'm not sure I'd want to hire some so socially inept that they use that as a professional email address into a customer-facing position.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Ursine Asylum posted:

I think it would depend on the position; I'm not sure I'd want to hire some so socially inept that they use that as a professional email address into a customer-facing position.

It's great because in the modern age you can create another email account and link it so that the emails come into your personal mailbox. I feel like I've definitely benefited from having my email be Firstname.Lastname instead of whatever else.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Good luck at your interview today, Benny.

Edit: If you get hired I hope it's because of the thank you card.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Aqua Bear posted:

Good luck at your interview today, Benny.

Edit: If you get hired I hope it's because of the thank you card.
Actually, the manager who I gave it to told me he appreciated it. I guess it did work.

As for the interview, I was told at the end that they would go through the group of candidates, including me, and they'll call me if they've chosen me. I feel disapointed that I didn't get the job on the spot since it was the second interview.

whenimmashoo
Jun 12, 2013

that means you didn't get the job bud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
It's only fair to let the people doing the interviews discuss the candidates together. Hope you get a call with good news!

• Locked thread