Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Just noticed Birthing Pod has finally jumped on the Modern staple price spike bandwagon. Started yesterday and continuing in force today. Been wondering why it was taking so god drat long to make this kind of move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Just noticed Birthing Pod has finally jumped on the Modern staple price spike bandwagon. Started yesterday and continuing in force today. Been wondering why it was taking so god drat long to make this kind of move.

I actually wanted to buy Birthing Pods for the eventual abandoned creation of my ow Merilia Pod :(

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

MiddleEastBeast posted:

To be fair Pod has been under costed for a while now. This is more a correction than a spike.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Konstantin posted:

So the MOCS event just crashed, and took down several other events with it. I wasn't playing in the MOCS since I cut way back on MTGO in the last couple of months due to their constant problems, but I felt like playing some Magic and was 1-0 in a Daily. Gotta love MTGO.

Same, I was 1-0 in the Premier after thoroughly destroying mono black (always satisfying). More annoyed that I passed up on a local event to play in this.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I like you Baron but this is a terrible post :shobon:. Are you privvy to some internal pronunciation guide or something? Does this really bother you enough to bring it up?

There's no "officially" correct pronunciation, I'm not going to argue that, but there are linguistic rules that, yes, these made up words don't need to necessarily follow, but which when ignored sound incredibly grating. Polukranos is the perfect example: in a Greek-themed block with Greek-sounding words and names, the classic syllable construction would be that the '-kra-' would be accented, which would suggest a longer, more open 'a' with a shorter, more closed 'u'....pah-loo-KRAH-nos over puh-LOO-kruh-nos :eng101:

If you don't agree (or don't care), that's cool, but it is almost physically uncomfortable for me to hear. Pronouncing it "correctly" keeps the demons asleep :catstare:

That said, I'll keep my linguistic ravings to myself in the future and just quietly die a little inside :eng99:

I'm going to go find something else to do, now that I find myself with no MTGO to keep me busy...

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Boco_T posted:

2000 matches to choose from and they show a Melira Pod mirror.
I agree. Reuben Bresler tweeted that he was playing a match in the feature match area last round and I know from testing online he's on a sweet Ad Nauseam list. Of course they didn't show that match or cut to it after the main one finished.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

There's no "officially" correct pronunciation, I'm not going to argue that, but there are linguistic rules that, yes, these made up words don't need to necessarily follow, but which when ignored sound incredibly grating. Polukranos is the perfect example: in a Greek-themed block with Greek-sounding words and names, the classic syllable construction would be that the '-kra-' would be accented, which would suggest a longer, more open 'a' with a shorter, more closed 'u'....pah-loo-KRAH-nos over puh-LOO-kruh-nos :eng101:

If you don't agree (or don't care), that's cool, but it is almost physically uncomfortable for me to hear. Pronouncing it "correctly" keeps the demons asleep :catstare:

That said, I'll keep my linguistic ravings to myself in the future and just quietly die a little inside :eng99:

I'm going to go find something else to do, now that I find myself with no MTGO to keep me busy...

Don't worry about it, it's great to see the correct way of pronouncing things. Linguistics and a great grasp of a language is powerful, I wouldn't mind seeing you sperg out more about the correct pronunciation, since it irritates me too how people mispronounce cards (especially Pithing, Melira, Jitte, etc :argh: )

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Since we're bitching about pronunciations now:

Every single time I hear Liliana pronounced as "Lilly Ana" it makes me want to punch the commentator in the face.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
As a Melira Pod player, that match was actually really fun to watch :3:...but I can see how no one else would want to see that. Ever.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

BaronVonVaderham posted:

As a Melira Pod player, that match was actually really fun to watch :3:...but I can see how no one else would want to see that. Ever.

For me, it didn't help that I'm (somewhat) more familiar with Kiki Pod, so none of the lines of play I was thinking of existed.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Just call him Many Heads.

How do you pronounce Xenagos? I've always said zen-AH-ghos.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I wish I knew how that other pronunciation seemed to take primacy among everyone I know. What the gently caress.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I think that they should just write names in IPA from now on. Can't wait to play my pəluː'krɑːnoʊs!

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Re: Greek-ish names in Theros. I've always seen people refer to Nykthos as NIK-thos whereas I assumed it was NEEQ-thos. Anyone know if either version is correct?

bhsman fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 8, 2014

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Boxn posted:

Don't worry about it, it's great to see the correct way of pronouncing things. Linguistics and a great grasp of a language is powerful, I wouldn't mind seeing you sperg out more about the correct pronunciation, since it irritates me too how people mispronounce cards (especially Pithing, Melira, Jitte, etc :argh: )

Wait, pithing and jitte are actual words. How did Melira end up in that list? I thought it was a made up fantasy name.

suicidesteve posted:

I say ZEN-uh-ghos.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
^^^ Wouldn't it be like saying Xena, the Warrior Princess? Ah-sound.

Hmm keeping that obliterator back would have kept him alive. Seems like he really didn't need to press the attack so soon without a kill spell in his hand for exactly what happened.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

morning wood posted:

I was excited about watching the coverage, until I realized it was modern. Not hating on it but I'm still trying to learn standard and they don't even play modern at my LGS. "Here's an awesome card that you can never use because most card shops don't host modern tournaments." No thanks.

I played Modern yesterday at FNM. Not all stores are the same.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Kibler on stream right now. His fidgeting is so hypnotic...

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Boxman posted:

Wait, pithing and jitte are actual words. How did Melira end up in that list? I thought it was a made up fantasy name.

People mispronounce those names. It's really irritating.
EDIT: I can understand the fantasy mispronunciation since there isn't an official guide unless you follow linguistic rules like Baron said, but they should at least know how to pronounce real life words.

neetengie fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 8, 2014

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

suicidesteve posted:

At least this one doesn't morph vowel sounds too badly, it's more a matter of which syllable to accent. I think "ZEN-uh-gos" rolls off the tongue easier, but that's coming from a native English speaker. I think if you follow Greek convention your pronunciation is more technically correct.

vOv posted:

I think that they should just write names in IPA from now on. Can't wait to play my pəluː'krɑːnoʊs!

Seconded. I wonder how hosed up these things get in Chinese or French. Do they sort of shoehorn these names into that language's phonetic constructions or is it a totally different made up word for them? Like if I said "Polukranos" to a Japanese player never exposed to an English copy of the card, would they know what I was talking about? I know actual English words get translated (see: everyone's favorite foreign card, Retard), but I've never thought about the made up names before.

bhsman posted:

Re: Greek-ish names in Theros. I've always seen people refer to Nykthos as NIK-thos whereas I assumed it was NEEQ-thos. Anyone know if either version is correct?

I go with NIK-thos.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Seconded. I wonder how hosed up these things get in Chinese or French. Do they sort of shoehorn these names into that language's phonetic constructions or is it a totally different made up word for them? Like if I said "Polukranos" to a Japanese player never exposed to an English copy of the card, would they know what I was talking about? I know actual English words get translated (see: everyone's favorite foreign card, Retard), but I've never thought about the made up names before.

As far as I know, for every made up word in English or English words that don't exist in their language, the JP version is just in Katakana, so it sounds close to the English word Polukranos = Porukuranosu as far as I can tell.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Boxn posted:

People mispronounce those names. It's really irritating.
EDIT: I can understand the fantasy mispronunciation since there isn't an official guide unless you follow linguistic rules like Baron said, but they should at least know how to pronounce real life words.

Nobody uses those words in everyday conversation, dude. And the only people who care about obscure linguistic rules are english majors.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I have never seen either jitte or pithing outside of magic, and I read a lot of random rear end stuff.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

forbidden lesbian posted:

Nobody uses those words in everyday conversation, dude. And the only people who care about obscure linguistic rules are english majors.

I'll have you know I have a Master's in astrophysics, sir, I resent being called an english major :colbert:

But yes, I have no life :eng99:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

qbert posted:

Kibler on stream right now. His fidgeting is so hypnotic...

Does hypnotic mean "makes me want to punch Brian Kibler"?

Because if yes, then it's very hypnotic.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Watching Reid Duke play UW Tron is a thing of beauty.

edit: Why yes I'd like to cast Emrakrul in Modern.

Korak fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 8, 2014

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Korak posted:

Watching Reid Duke play UW Tron is a thing of beauty.

edit: Why yes I'd like to cast Emrakrul in Modern.

That's always a deck that I had in the back of my mind ever since GP Hoth. Can't wait to see the deck list.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

C-Euro posted:

Maybe some prices will go back down once this Modern season is over? That's what I'm hoping for at least, I really don't want to spend $55/card on a playset of Mox Opals :(

Dude if you shop around you can definitely get Mox Opals for less than 55 , especially if you are willing to get non NM copies. Just picked up 3 for 40 each.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Just had an affinity player rage scoop to UW prison. I'm living the dream.

Related: I've named the deck "Louisiana State Penitentiary"

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I go with NIK-thos.
Speaking as a Classicist, I'd rather it were moved further back in the throat than a typical 'nik-' syllable. Nykthos is clearly meant to be derived from Νύξ (Nyx), i.e. 'Night' and where we will go in the third set. This doesn't in fact work because the root syllable of Nyx is nykt- (kts being simply assimilated to x in the nominative while it expands fully in the other cases) and it's not trying to make a compound with a second aspirated word which might let the theta form, but anyway. What's being written as a y is meant to express the sound of upsilon - or upsilon between those two particular consonants at any rate. That doesn't make actually the English 'u', but does mean that our shortcutting of the y as vowel sound to something very close to 'i' wouldn't be appropriate. Partway between the two, I suppose.

I say that it wouldn't be appropriate because the Beyer et al. have given a go at Hellenicising stuff but clearly weren't ready to send someone through a proper high level course or anything for obvious reasons. Instead they've flipped through an English to Greek dictionary and had someone read a few translations of myths. They're not owning the variance from the real world as clearly as they have done in other sets where history or myth has inspired them, which is perhaps to their discredit when they are approaching it in quite so amateur a way, but it's very very obviously there and therefore I can give them a little leeway on matters of pronunciation going differently. Though naming Anax as they did is still loving dumb.

Meanwhile, the Wizards site says they've settled on Poh-LOO-krahn-ohs as their Polukranos standard.

Alaan posted:

I have never seen either jitte or pithing outside of magic, and I read a lot of random rear end stuff.

I read a lot of random rear end stuff and I've seen them both. :colbert:

Yay, anecdotes.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

AgentSythe posted:

Are you at the GP? It'd be pretty cool to see you on the feature match if you make it, I'd love to see that poo poo.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

AgentSythe posted:

Haha last night my friend sleeved up his newly ordered Affinity for the first time and I got my 1 main deck Stony Silence in my opening hand (mono W), I felt so bad to crush him so good.

What's your record so far?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sleep of Bronze posted:

I read a lot of random rear end stuff and I've seen them both. :colbert:

Yay, anecdotes.

I'm not even sure why you or the other guy brought this up. Just because you see a word doesn't mean you know how to pronounce it.

I'm sorry for this post, I'm really just bitter that I pronounced allegory wrong for like 15 years straight, because I never actually needed to say it out loud.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

AgentSythe posted:

Run good!!! Wait UW over RW Lockdown? Interesting.

Still hoping this guy wins it all.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Boxn posted:

Are you at the GP? It'd be pretty cool to see you on the feature match if you make it, I'd love to see that poo poo.

I'm x-2, but lost all my matches in 3 and they were all winnable. Unless I win my last 4 matches I dont think I'll make it on camera, and even then it'll be day 2.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Speaking as a Classicist, :eng101:

I feel even more confused. :(

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
What kinds of packs are the best EV these days? Winning a couple at my EDH melee and not really looking for anything in particular, plus I don't come here enough to bother with store credit.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Promoted Pawn posted:

To be fair Pod has been under costed for a while now. This is more a correction than a spike.

Oh absolutely agree, I've been scratching my head for months and months wondering how it could be sustaining at <$5 for years now. I mean it's the namesake engine card for not one but two widely played variants of a mainstay Tier 1 Modern archetype for crying out loud. Finally can feel smug about the 20 copies I bought in the late summer of 2011 as the only successful speculative buy of my life.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Oh absolutely agree, I've been scratching my head for months and months wondering how it could be sustaining at <$5 for years now.
It was a regular rare from a small set that came out recently (and was part of a massive expansion in print runs) :shrug:

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Reid Duke with more Ghostly Prison on stream!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Another Reid Duke match this time up against Dickmann's incredibly good Tarmotwin deck. Tied 1-1. I'm still loving this UW Tron deck with Celestrial Colonnades, Emrakrul, Iona, and Elesh Norn.

Korak fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 8, 2014

• Locked thread