Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

WickedHate posted:

I guess Tonpetty wasn't all that much of a master after all.

Neither was Kars apparently. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

FirstAidKite posted:

STANDS: USELESS

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

WickedHate posted:

I guess Tonpetty wasn't all that much of a master after all.

Hey, maybe he had a stand, but since we were in the eyes of Jonathan, we weren't able to see it !

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

RatHat posted:

Didn't Joseph say something in Part 3 about Stands being an evolution of the Ripple? Or am I making that up?

He did, he called Stands a "Ghostly Ripple", sort of that it's like ripplin' with your very soul.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I don't know about part 3 but in a bonus chapter in Steel Ball Run Araki explains that gaining a stand is the ultimate purpose of the ripple and the spin. I don't remember exactly but wasn't Gyro's stand, Ball Breaker, only created when he used the golden ratio? A ripple master could gain a stand the same way.

In SBR, the rules for stands from the parts 3-6 went out the window. He got the eyes on his balls stand from getting a christpart and then lost it when he lost the christpart. Then he got Ball Breaker when he mastered using the golden ratio. When Johnny mastered the golden ratio, his stand just evolved into a better one.

The only other person who got a stand naturally besides Gyro was Pocoloco, and I guess he was just lucky enough to randomly get a stand.

e: I guess that tree that had a natural stand

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 8, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
His stand made him so lucky he was lucky enough to develop his stand who made him so lucky he was lucky enough to develop his stand who you get the idea.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Pocoloco is a true American hero.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Cerebral Bore posted:

You can gain a Stand by perfecting a skill hard enough. It's like how Tonio got his Stand by practising cooking like a motherfucker.

Also Stands and the Ripple are two entirely different things. Otherwise DIO would have disintegrated the first time he used The World.
Naw, more likely he wouldn't be able to use it at all. The explanation for why the ripple destroys the undead is because their inner ripple energy is weaker than that of sunlight. --Or something...

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Tobaccrow posted:

Naw, more likely he wouldn't be able to use it at all. The explanation for why the ripple destroys the undead is because their inner ripple energy is weaker than that of sunlight. --Or something...

Straights disintegrated himself with the ripple.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't think Kars could develop a stand because he didn't actually need one. Stands are supposed to be the extension of one's soul and people develop them naturally because they really need it to fulfill a desire or to better themselves. Kira developed Killer Queen out of the need to hide himself, Tonio got Pearl Jam as a means to further improve his cooking, etc.

Kars was literally the ultimate lifeform. Who needs a stand when they are the ultimate living being?

Plus you have to have a soul to have a stand, DIO was only able to use the World because he stole Jonathan's body. Presumably the World was Jonathan's stand that he never got to manifest.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Nah, Jonathan's body had its own stand. It was visually similar to Hermit Purple and was what allowed Dio to keep tabs on the crew and what let him know when they could see him. The World was all Dio.

And who knows, maybe the Red Stone gave Kars a stand that let him do all the ultimate lifeform things and we just couldn't see it. Araki could certainly retcon it like that if he wanted :v:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Broseph Brostar posted:

Kars was literally the ultimate lifeform. Who needs a stand when they are the ultimate living being?

How about a stand that allows for interstellar travel?

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

Nah, Jonathan's body had its own stand. It was visually similar to Hermit Purple and was what allowed Dio to keep tabs on the crew and what let him know when they could see him. The World was all Dio.

I don't know, it's fishy that both stands ended up being just like Johnathan and Jotaro's. It's like Dio hacked into the Joestar DNA and got Joestar stands.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

WickedHate posted:

We'll call it Space Oddity.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

If stands are based on the user's body rather than their soul the gang from Part 5 would've suddenly ended up with each other's stands when Silver Chariot Requiem did its mind-swapping shenanigans. Also alternate universe Dio from Part 7 had The World and he wasn't a vampire using his arch-rival's body.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Despite sounding like an awful DBZ movie, Kars returning to earth a century later having developed a stand in space would have been pretty cool.

quote:

I don't know, it's fishy that both stands ended up being just like Johnathan and Jotaro's. It's like Dio hacked into the Joestar DNA and got Joestar stands.

Could be that he had more than one stand like Kira. I always assumed that DIO was literally Jonathan's body being mind controlled by Dio's head, which would explain why The World and Gold Experience were like Jojo stands, but that doesn't really make a lot of sense with the sons of Dio in part 6.

The only thing consistent about Araki's writing is that it's consistently awesome.

a cartoon duck posted:

If stands are based on the user's body rather than their soul the gang from Part 5 would've suddenly ended up with each other's stands when Silver Chariot Requiem did its mind-swapping shenanigans. Also alternate universe Dio from Part 7 had The World and he wasn't a vampire using his arch-rival's body.

Ah that's right, their stands did stay with their souls during that part. Maybe Dio is such a tricky bastard that he kept his soul when he became a vampire.

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 8, 2014

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

a cartoon duck posted:

Underutilising Tonio was Part 4's greatest failing. Hell, underutilizing most stand users that weren't Okuyasu, Koichi and Rohan was. They all showed up to those "pose together to show that poo poo's getting real" shots but then never actually did anything.

I figured that by the end Duwang was supposed to be a town full to the brim with stand users, and those are just the guys we ended up seeing a little more often. Made the town feel a little more special, I think.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
I'm still waiting for Jorge Joestar to be translated.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

legendsuper posted:

I'm still waiting for Jorge Joestar to be translated.

I want to find out what other batshit things happen in that book so much, like a beautiful, walking Duwang. I'm finally caught up on the manga and now I gotta wait a dang month for any more. :(

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

WickedHate posted:

I'm guessing Araki was originally going to have Dio have ALL of the stands but changed his mind.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Kars totally had a stand. It was his own body and it was called reading rainbow.

I can be anythiiiiing

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Broseph Brostar posted:

Could be that he had more than one stand like Kira.

Kira only had one Stand. It was a just a powerful one with many powers.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Broseph Brostar posted:

Despite sounding like an awful DBZ movie, Kars returning to earth a century later having developed a stand in space would have been pretty cool.

Could be that he had more than one stand like Kira. I always assumed that DIO was literally Jonathan's body being mind controlled by Dio's head, which would explain why The World and Gold Experience were like Jojo stands, but that doesn't really make a lot of sense with the sons of Dio in part 6.

The only thing consistent about Araki's writing is that it's consistently awesome.

Ah that's right, their stands did stay with their souls during that part. Maybe Dio is such a tricky bastard that he kept his soul when he became a vampire.

While Kars returning to Earth with a new stand after 100 years would be kinda cool... it would also undermine the JoJo's continuity, considering that (Part 6) billions of years elapsed in Stone Ocean.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
We already saw Kars' new universe counterpart anyway.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

swamp izzo posted:

While Kars returning to Earth with a new stand after 100 years would be kinda cool... it would also undermine the JoJo's continuity, considering that (Part 6) billions of years elapsed in Stone Ocean.

I don't even want him to show up back on earth. I want some Jason X ripoff one-shot where a research vessel finds him floating in space, and thaws him out to study him. Then we find out Kars has gone more or less feral, and a small group of surviving scientists have to try and escape.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

WickedHate posted:

I mean, Dio's very existence is so inexorably intertwined with the Joestar bloodline to the point where he practically is one. If you take that into account, it's not really surprising that the stand he was able to manifest is so similar to Jotaro's.

As for Jonathan, I've honestly got no idea why his soulless, lifeless corpse was able to manifest a stand, unless it's because he's still technically "alive" to some degree. But the reason it's effectively identical to Hermit Purple would almost have to be because of Jonathan and Joseph's times as Ripple users.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

I mean, Dio's very existence is so inexorably intertwined with the Joestar bloodline to the point where he practically is one. If you take that into account, it's not really surprising that the stand he was able to manifest is so similar to Jotaro's.
It's not like any other JoJo has such similar stands though. Platinum Star and The World are basically palette swaps.

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

As for Jonathan, I've honestly got no idea why his soulless, lifeless corpse was able to manifest a stand, unless it's because he's still technically "alive" to some degree. But the reason it's effectively identical to Hermit Purple would almost have to be because of Jonathan and Joseph's times as Ripple users.
There was no point in Jonathan having a stand at all really. It'd have been better if Dio's spying was just vampire magic.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

WickedHate posted:

It's not like any other JoJo has such similar stands though. Platinum Star and The World are basically palette swaps.

SBR Dio and Dr. Ferdinand basically have the same stand. The name is even only one letter different! (Scary Monster vs Scary Monsters) Dio even retains the ability to turn other creatures into dinosaurs. Although that's more a weird case of a stand transferring ownership for... no reason, really.

Except "because it would be awesome," I guess.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
SBR Dio should've been in ASB.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Maybe they thought 3 Dios would be too much. They were wrong of course, there can never be enough Dio.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

WickedHate posted:

Crazy Diamond is also really similar to them, especially in design, but the reason the main Jojos' stands become so dissimilar from Star Platinum and The World is just because of the shifting tone of the series. Araki branched way out after Part 3 and made fights far more focused on characters utilizing their really varied stand abilities rather than just "get in range/stop time, punch real fast and hard."

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Jonathan and Joseph's similar/identical stands would probably be because their situations were similar. Hermit Purple is perfect for a ripple user to extend their range, bind enemies in place, etc. The ability to spy on others is probably because both of them made it their mission to seek out Dio. For hunting and killing vampires Hermit Purple is pretty much the best stand for ripple users.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Begemot posted:

SBR Dio and Dr. Ferdinand basically have the same stand. The name is even only one letter different! (Scary Monster vs Scary Monsters) Dio even retains the ability to turn other creatures into dinosaurs. Although that's more a weird case of a stand transferring ownership for... no reason, really.

Except "because it would be awesome," I guess.

It's Zombie Jesus magic, man.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

For hunting and killing vampires Hermit Purple is pretty much the best stand for ripple users.

With one exception.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

So did anything ever happen with Santana? Isn't he still alive under some UV lights or something? Does he ever show up in parts after part 2?

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

So did anything ever happen with Santana? Isn't he still alive under some UV lights or something? Does he ever show up in parts after part 2?

He never shows up after part 2. I don't believe they ever state if they killed him off or not after the events of part 2. As far as we know, he's trapped under UV lights.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Santana's an afterthought, really. Joseph had like 20 years in which he could have killed him with no real trouble.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

ninjewtsu posted:

He never does, I guess we're to assume Joseph clackered his face off or something after all was said and done. Probably just Araki leaving a plot thread to use in the future, only to forget about it and move onto new craziness. JoJo is a lot of things, and I love it, but one thing it definitely isn't is tightly written.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Yeah, Araki has trouble staying consistent even within individual Parts. Like how Star Platinum brought books and beer and all kinds of stuff for Jotaro in his cell, then later was retconned to only having a range of a couple meters. Also SP randomly gained bullshit superpowers when the plot demanded it, like when it was able to inhale Enya's fog stand. I don't really mind it all that much though, especially since it was made fun of (intentionally or not) in the Death 13 fight where it looked like Jotaro was able to bring his stand into the dream, but it was actually a trick by the enemy.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I would consider Star Platinum inhaling Justice to be a legitimate application of humanoid form + superhuman strength; it makes sense that it would have strong lungs. And I'll attribute bringing stuff into the cell despite its short range to SP stealing stuff out of the guards' hands/pockets as they pass by. Time stopping came out of nowhere, though.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Another good rationalization for the jailcell is that the listed range is simply "range stand can punch good at and their specific powers can effect" and not "max range period"

That doesn't explain how Jotaro got a goddamn treadmill through prison bars, but oh well.

• Locked thread