Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pieter Pan
May 16, 2004
Bad faith argument here:
-------------------------------->

Brown Moses posted:

And I, too, will be going to Istanbul soon.

Have you considering visiting Syrian refugees? Since you work tirelessly for the rights of Syrians, I can imagine getting to meet them might help realize what it's worth for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autech
Jun 6, 2008

The Brazilian Legkick Machine
Latest video doing the rounds via social media. My Arabic is pretty weak but apparently it is ISIS in this video.

This NOT worksafe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spa3CGDM6cQ

This war is brutal man :(

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Pieter posted:

Have you considering visiting Syrian refugees? Since you work tirelessly for the rights of Syrians, I can imagine getting to meet them might help realize what it's worth for.
I've been invited a couple of times, finding time is the problem for me. This month I'm off to New York on Monday to meet with Google Ideas, then Istanbul where I'll be working on my book proposal, website launch, and a presentation I'm doing for the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute, then Stockholm at the end of March to give that presentation, then in April I start the month by doing a lecture to journalism students in Wales, then I'm off to Norway to speak at an investigative journalism conference, followed by another journalism conference at the end of the month in Italy. Hopefully by that point my agent would have got me a publisher for my book, so I'll be spending time writing that.

And I've got mod D&D!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Oh cool, ISIS executed a little boy and a bunch of non-combatant men because...? I wish that Assad would manage to drop a barrel bomb on these guys rather than the civilian populace of Aleppo for once.

Also, when was this shot? I see snow falling in the video, but a cursory look at Syrian weather suggests that it's been heating up a bit.

Autech
Jun 6, 2008

suboptimal posted:

Oh cool, ISIS executed a little boy and a bunch of non-combatant men because...? I wish that Assad would manage to drop a barrel bomb on these guys rather than the civilian populace of Aleppo for once.

Also, when was this shot? I see snow falling in the video, but a cursory look at Syrian weather suggests that it's been heating up a bit.

Sadly i don't know enough about the vid to answer that. I just hope that the ISIS guys get what they deserve.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's more info in Arabic, supposedly a group of foreign ISIS fighter led by Abu Asad al-Uzbeki

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
So, Libyan rebels in Sidra, I guess one of the port cities they've been blockading the government from collecting oil revenue, are cutting their own deals, and just filled up a North Korean oil tanker. If they're actually making a good deal of cash on these sorts of deals, it's going to help undermine the federal government significantly.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-26495625

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I think I saw somewhere that one of the government threatened to bomb the tanker if it attempted to leave the port.

More on the executions video from Reuters

quote:

Separately, a video was published online by activists purportedly showing members of the al Qaeda splinter group the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) executing eight prisoners.

In the video, fighters in fatigues line up the prisoners inside a building and force them to kneel before shooting them from behind.

Some of the men in the video speak Russian with marked Caucasian accents and speech patterns. Toward the end, one speaker is heard to say "kill them, brothers".

Many foreign Islamists have joined the fight against Assad, largely from Arab countries but also from Russia's North Caucasus region as well as Europe, North America and Asia.

It is not clear when the video was taken or where. Syrian state media also broadcast the footage, which it was not possible to verify independently. Activists said the fighters belonged to ISIL, but that was also impossible to verify.

ISIL is a rebranding of al Qaeda's affiliate in neighbouring Iraq but al Qaeda's central leadership formally announced a split with the group in February after disputes over its refusal to limit itself to fighting in Iraq rather than Syria.

Another hardline Islamist group, the Nusra Front, is al Qaeda's affiliate in Syria.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 8, 2014

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Has there been any evidence at all of Assad attacking ISIS since the Geneva talks? I know the FSA has been openly willing to give his people exact coordinates and everything.

Autech
Jun 6, 2008

Thanks for the information BM.

I am starting to get plugged into extremist Muslims FB accounts in order to see what the "current" mood is. No surprises that they see this kind of stuff as "lies" and "propoganda".

Autech
Jun 6, 2008

NWS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BlaeFZMsIg

This chap is being made to recite the muslim call to prayer. If he get's one word wrong he is probably a dead man. It is a way that some extremists "test" a person.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Brown Moses posted:

I've been invited a couple of times, finding time is the problem for me. This month I'm off to New York on Monday to meet with Google Ideas, then Istanbul where I'll be working on my book proposal, website launch, and a presentation I'm doing for the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute, then Stockholm at the end of March to give that presentation, then in April I start the month by doing a lecture to journalism students in Wales, then I'm off to Norway to speak at an investigative journalism conference, followed by another journalism conference at the end of the month in Italy. Hopefully by that point my agent would have got me a publisher for my book, so I'll be spending time writing that.

And I've got mod D&D!

Just think, in another life you could've run a very successful Etsy store. Way to go!

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009

Autech posted:

Thanks for the information BM.

I am starting to get plugged into extremist Muslims FB accounts in order to see what the "current" mood is. No surprises that they see this kind of stuff as "lies" and "propoganda".

You're following some fringe pages then, every single non-ISIS Islamist there is has been extremely critical of ISIS, whatever their particular allegiance may be. This goes for Qaeda believers, Sufis, Shiites, Salafi Jihadis, and pretty much any other strain of political Islam there is, violent or non-violent.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've just come across this very interesting picture

This is from an official ISIS Twitter account posting images from al Anbar, Iraq. What's interesting about this picture is it appears to be a Croatian M79 OSA being used to blow up US-made Iraqi army tanks, very strong evidence the weapons Croatia provided to Saudi Arabia for the FSA have reached the hands of ISIS and are now being used to attack the West's allies. I've blogged more details here.

Autech
Jun 6, 2008

Muffiner posted:

You're following some fringe pages then, every single non-ISIS Islamist there is has been extremely critical of ISIS, whatever their particular allegiance may be. This goes for Qaeda believers, Sufis, Shiites, Salafi Jihadis, and pretty much any other strain of political Islam there is, violent or non-violent.

Ahh, i haven't followed any specific pages/groups but have just set up a fake account and befriended a load of folk - some of them are truly despicable and yeah, are pretty much on the fringes. They still want "evidence" :(

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What western equipment does the Iraqi army use? Are we talking tanks? If so, which? Abrams?

Wonder if we'll see videos of western tanks being blown up in spetacular form.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

Autech posted:

Latest video doing the rounds via social media. My Arabic is pretty weak but apparently it is ISIS in this video.

This NOT worksafe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spa3CGDM6cQ

This war is brutal man :(

It makes me wonder how many of these ISIS executioners suffer PTSD. How many of them are hesitant to do these acts? Obviously some of them suffer from it, but others seem to casually mow civilians down like some low-budget video game super villains, and then pretend they benefited from it somehow.

It makes my head hurt trying to understand that intense religious beliefs can be so powerful that you can so easily dehumanize another human for simply believing the same religion a slightly different way. Sectarian violence is so alien to most of us westerners. Even if this video isn't sectarian, it shows how desperate and narrow-minded some people in war environments can become.

This thread really has opened a lot of curiosities of mine that I wish to answer.

Imapanda fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 9, 2014

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I highly doubt drug use isn't rampant in the ISIS, specially the execution squads.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

Mans posted:

I highly doubt drug use isn't rampant in the ISIS, specially the execution squads.

Are there any decent newer articles discussing drug-use in the Syrian situation? It completely went over my head, isn't opium usage seriously heavy in the region?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Imapanda posted:

It makes me wonder how many of these ISIS executioners suffer PTSD. How many of them are hesitant to do these acts? Obviously some of them suffer from it, but others seem to casually mow civilians down like some low-budget video game super villains, and then pretend they benefited from it somehow.

It makes my head hurt trying to understand that intense religious beliefs can be so powerful that you can so easily dehumanize another human for simply believing the same religion a slightly different way. Sectarian violence is so alien to most of us westerners. Even if this video isn't sectarian, it shows how desperate and narrow-minded some people in war environments can become.

This thread really has opened a lot of curiosities of mine that I wish to answer.

I think they were hosed up in the head to begin with, and gravitated to a group they would let them indulge in their sick desires.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The Einsatzgruppen had the job of shooting civilians day in and day out, and despite being nazis believing they were ridding the world of subhumans, still exhibited high rates of alcoholism, desertion, and other disciplinary issues.

BabyChoom
Jan 7, 2014

by XyloJW
It is highly more likely that these are just the regular old rebel that everyone cheerleads for. Because, after all, didn't the rebs chase ISI out of Syria and into the friendly US and GCC training camps in Turkey and Jordan?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mans posted:

They execute people over cigarettes..

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

They don't need drugs, they've got religion.

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009

Mans posted:

What western equipment does the Iraqi army use? Are we talking tanks? If so, which? Abrams?

Wonder if we'll see videos of western tanks being blown up in spetacular form.

They've Americanized all their inventory and training. Iraqi troops are being trained in Jordan as we speak. For a state with an obviously tyrannical ruler aligned with the 'other side', currently engaged in a three way sectarian war against both the Anbar tribes and ISIS, not to mention the blatant but under the table support of the Syrian Regime with both personnel and transport, he does get a lot of support from the international community.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Imapanda posted:

I think that most of them don't live long enough to come to term with their actions.

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug

Muffiner posted:

They've Americanized all their inventory and training. Iraqi troops are being trained in Jordan as we speak. For a state with an obviously tyrannical ruler aligned with the 'other side', currently engaged in a three way sectarian war against both the Anbar tribes and ISIS, not to mention the blatant but under the table support of the Syrian Regime with both personnel and transport, he does get a lot of support from the international community.

Maliki is now an obviously tyrannical ruler? It's funny how we went from Saddam and the Sunni minority controlling Iraq in a clear dictatorship to now the Shias nominally ruling and everyone making GBS threads on Maliki for not being inclusive enough for the Sunnis that are carbombing people every day.

BabyChoom
Jan 7, 2014

by XyloJW
A lot of people think democracy is the tyranny of the majority. With the #1 tyrant being the head of state. They think a fairer form of democracy would be if everyone accepted their sectarian/partisan viewpoint and put them in power. If they don't then they think another democratic method is the use of force to impose their sectarian/partisan viewpoint.

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009

Miruvor posted:

Maliki is now an obviously tyrannical ruler? It's funny how we went from Saddam and the Sunni minority controlling Iraq in a clear dictatorship to now the Shias nominally ruling and everyone making GBS threads on Maliki for not being inclusive enough for the Sunnis that are carbombing people every day.

Malki is one of those clear cut dictators with death squads, torture rooms, shadowy agencies outside the reach of law and a thirst for power that looks to be insatiable. I don't think it is anything but obvious that he is a dictator, gradually receding to the levels of Assad and Saddam.

Some good news: the nuns that were taken from Maloula 4 months ago we're exchanged for 125 prisoners. The exchange happened over the border in Lebanon, and surprisingly it was JAN who did the exchange, even though it wasn't them who took the nuns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3ZZyRv3kSo

A press conference with one of the nuns:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADCeIFOUpvM
Haven't found a subtitled version, but it's a run of the mill 'we were treated kindly' thing.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

This was the lead story on the BBC website a short while ago:

Syria: Assad forces 'using starvation as weapon of war'

Amnesty International have issued a condemnation of the Syrian government about their treatment of the Yarmouk refugee camp in Damascus which has seen heavy fighting. It currently has about 20,000 Palestinian refugees remaining, of an original population of over 100,000, who have been cut off without proper supplies for months.

Quick note, this is a "refugee camp" which is more like a Damascus city quarter which was set up by refugees from Palestine back in 1957.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-hearst/saudi-arabia-threatens-to_b_4930518.html

quote:

Saudi Arabia has threatened to blockade its neighbouring Gulf State Qatar by land and sea unless it cuts ties with the Muslim Brotherhood, closes Al Jazeera, and expels local branches of two prestigious U.S. think tanks, the Brookings Doha Center and the Rand Qatar Policy Institute.

The threats against the television station Al Jazeera, Brookings Institute and the Rand Corporation, were made by the Saudi Foreign Minister Saud bin Faisal in a foreign minister's meeting of the Gulf Cooperation Council in Riyadh last week, according to a source who was present. Bin Faisal said only these acts would be sufficient if Qatar wanted to avoid "being punished."

News of the threats to shut down the Brookings and Rand Corporation think tanks in Doha will embarrass the U.S. president Barack Obama, who is due to visit Riyadh at the end of month. His Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker was in Abu Dhabi on Sunday, where she told AP that she will tell officials from the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia and Qatar that closer economic cooperation with Washington is a bridge to building deeper security ties.

The Saudi royal family were enraged and threatened, in equal measure, by the role Al Jazeera played in the first years of the Arab Spring , which saw fellow potentates deposed in popular revolutions in Tunisia and Egypt . They are now equally upset at the sympathetic coverage the Doha-based television station gives to the opposition, secular and Islamist, in Egypt. Three journalists from Al Jazeera, its Egypt bureau chief Mohamed Fahmy the Australian correspondent Peter Greste and Egyptian producer Baher Mohamed appeared in court in Cairo last week accused of "joining a terrorist group, aiding a terrorist group, and endangering national security." A fourth journalist, from Al Jazeera Arabic, Abdullah al-Shami is being tried in a separate case.

The military backed government in Egypt accuse Al Jazeera of providing a platform for the supporters of the ousted president Mohamed Morsi, and the now outlawed Muslim Brotherhood. "Journalists are not terrorists," Fahmy shouted from the cage in the courtroom.

The threat to lay siege to Qatar was made in private before the Kingdom withdrew its ambassador to Doha and issued a decree on Friday declaring the Brotherhood a terrorist organization, alongside Al Qaeda, Hezbollah, the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria and the Nusra Front.

The threat of a sea blockade is not taken seriously in Qatar. But the state's only land border is with Saudi Arabia and is therefore easily closed. At present a substantial amount of the fresh food and goods the bustling city of Doha needs every day passes through this border. There are only 40 miles of sea and land borders between the two states, and clashes have taken place along them in the past. The border was disputed for 35 years. Qatar and Saudi Arabia skirmished in 1992, when Saudi troops occupied a border post. A final border agreement was only signed in 2001.

The increasingly McCarthyite tone adopted by the Saudi monarchy in its public pronouncements about the Brotherhood is thought to be a sign of desperation at the way events in Egypt are turning out. Supporting the military dictatorship in Cairo is costing the kingdom and its ally in the United Arab Emirates dear. Together they have spent $32 billion propping the coup up, with no end in sight to the chaos.

The Egyptian authorities are battling continuing protests by Morsi supporters and secular activists, a mass campaign of civil disobedience including attacks against policemen and police stations, strikes, an insurgency in the Sinai peninsula, as well as drive by shootings and bomb attacks mounted by Islamic militants.In hinting that he would run for the presidency, General Abdel Fatah al-Sisi said his country needed 3 trillion Egyptian Pounds, twice the current public debt to refill the nation's empty coffers.

The draconian decree issued on Friday will have a dramatic impact on free expression in Saudi Arabia itself. Cast in the most general terms, it targets not only supporters of named banned organizations, but anyone "preaching any atheistic thought." It bans all protest and anyone attending conferences or symposia, locally or internationally "that target the security or stability of the country and stir up sedition within society."

Article four of the decree outlaws: "whoever manifests affiliation to any of these [groups] or expresses sympathy with any of them or promotes any of them or convenes meetings under their umbrella whether inside or outside the Kingdom."

The articles continues: "This includes participating in all forms of media, whether audio or print or video, and in social media networks of all forms and types, audio, print and video, and in internet websites by reporting or re-transmitting any of their contents in whatever format, or the use of the slogans or emblems of these groups and currents or the use of any such symbols that may express support for them or sympathy with them."

This is aimed at the millions of twitter accounts in the Kingdom, which has become the only unfettered means of expressing opinion and dissent.

Analysts elsewhere in the Gulf expect the Saudi tactics to backfire. They have already paralyzed the Gulf Cooperation Council, with Oman refusing to expel Qatar and Kuwait deeply uneasy. It is also propelling the start of a significant regional realignment. Within hours of the Saudi decision to withdraw its ambassador to Doha, the Turkish prime minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan called the emir of Qatar Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad in support. Doha has also become closer to Iran as a result of its bust up with Riyadh.

The open diplomatic warfare between Riyadh and Doha pits two generations of Gulf ruler against each other -- the 89-year-old Abdullah bin Abdulaziz versus the 33-year-old Tamim bin Hamad. It will be interesting to see which generation prevails.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Is there any chance at all Al-Jazeera will actually be closed because holy poo poo. :stare:

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
No, I don't see that happening. It may take on a more friendly tone though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

WOW that escalated quickly.

Also the GCC wide security law is terrible and Kuwait's parliament rejected it after the Foreign Minister agreed to it, which is one advantage of having the only voted parliament in the GCC I guess.

I'm not surprised with the Jazeera and MB comments but I didn't expect Saudi to have an issue with the US thinktanks.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

That Huffington Post article makes it sound as if the current Egyptian government is facing more popular resistance than I have heard from other places. I general I've heard some pretty depressing things about the general kowtowing to the army. Is it really that big a drain right now?

Also, I find it "amusing" that Saudi Arabia is supporting Islamists against the current authorities in one of their near neighbours all whilst condemning the Muslim Brotherhood as dangerous radicals in Egypt.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
So Assad is winning in Yabroud?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Holy moly, Saudi Arabia is dropping the hammer.

I'm sad about Al Jazeera. No one should be able to lean on the press like that—especially press that does a fantastic job. :( Then again, not perfect world, etc.

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009

MothraAttack posted:

So Assad is winning in Yabroud?
The rebels have retaken Sehel and parts of Rima, which means Hezbullah and the regime have not really made any gains since the start of this offensive.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Muffiner posted:

The rebels have retaken Sehel and parts of Rima, which means Hezbullah and the regime have not really made any gains since the start of this offensive.

Sounds like Stalingrad in the Middle East.

Edit:

Or more like Verdun in the Middle East.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Munin posted:

Also, I find it "amusing" that Saudi Arabia is supporting Islamists against the current authorities in one of their near neighbours all whilst condemning the Muslim Brotherhood as dangerous radicals in Egypt.

Saudi Arabia is Sunni and so they support Sunni insurgents while opposing Shia activities of all kinds.

• Locked thread