Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Baldbeard posted:

In the US, do most local police departments have their own 24 hour phonenumber? Like, if I need to call police to break up a bad fight, do I just call 911 or what?

They'll have their own number for non-emergencies, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Couple of ebay questions:

I'm selling some stuff and a couple of auctions show two bids, but there's only one person bidding. Does that mean they increased their original bid?

Also, any sellers ever get emails from non-bidders requesting you end the auction early or lower your selling price? I had a guy email me telling me my opening price was way too high and that I would never sell the item and I should lower the price and sell to him. I told him no. I ended up selling the item at the price I wanted anyway.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Baldbeard posted:

In the US, do most local police departments have their own 24 hour phonenumber? Like, if I need to call police to break up a bad fight, do I just call 911 or what?

Yes, it's usually listed in the phone book. However, in many areas you can now call 311 to get local government services and non-emergency police.

Anyway, with something like people in the middle of a bad fight, it's ok to call 911 if you don't have the local police number on hand.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Why doesn't it stop exhausting though? Exhausting would get rid of the small amount of heat in the drum pretty fast right?

Because it's still hot enough to get rid of moisture, which is the entire point of a dryer. It's doing this in the most efficient way we currently know how, which is no longer "burn that thing until it's all dry". Again, thermostatically controlled. There is no point in raising the temperature above a certain point, and it's actually easier on most clothing.

With no exhaust all of the moisture would be trapped, completely defeating the purpose of the appliance being turned on.

hoobajoo posted:

They'll have their own number for non-emergencies, yes.

Don't be surprised if it's not answered outside of business hours and simply forwarded to dispatch (the same place 911 calls go) in most if not all small departments. Outside of the hours that administrative staff are in the PD many places are empty unless an officer is back to deal with a prisoner, get equipment, go on break, or at shift change.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 8, 2014

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Is 5 weeks enough time to get a new US passport?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cheerfullydrab posted:

Is 5 weeks enough time to get a new US passport?

Yes, but only if you pay for expedited service and are on the ball about getting your passport appointment setup as soon as possible.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Couple of ebay questions:

I'm selling some stuff and a couple of auctions show two bids, but there's only one person bidding. Does that mean they increased their original bid?

Also, any sellers ever get emails from non-bidders requesting you end the auction early or lower your selling price? I had a guy email me telling me my opening price was way too high and that I would never sell the item and I should lower the price and sell to him. I told him no. I ended up selling the item at the price I wanted anyway.

Yes and yes. eBay are fond of making it look like as many bids are on something as possible, because it encourages people into thinking it is worth bidding on.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

This pertains to blind tests, and statistics.

If someone has to randomly guess between 2 choices, say they have to guess if a randomly chosen number will be odd or even, which gives them a 50% chance at picking it right, what is the statistical average accuracy over 10 tries, 100, or 1000?

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

I was reading an interview with actress Lea Seydoux and she said "n'a pas froid aux yeux" and that it means "I am not cold in my eyes". What does this mean?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

ChocNitty posted:

If someone has to randomly guess between 2 choices, say they have to guess if a randomly chosen number will be odd or even, which gives them a 50% chance at picking it right, what is the statistical average accuracy over 10 tries, 100, or 1000?

If the numbers are randomly chosen and the sample of people picking is sufficiently large, 50% for all of these.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

RebBrownies posted:

I was reading an interview with actress Lea Seydoux and she said "n'a pas froid aux yeux" and that it means "I am not cold in my eyes". What does this mean?
Apparently it's an expression meaning something like to not be afraid, to be brave, to be hardened.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

ChocNitty posted:

It's exactly 50%, that's trivial. The more interesting question is how much can we expect to see a deviation from the average, and that is more complicated. I'm not great at crunching stats, so I won't attempt, but the takeaway is that even though 50% accuracy is the average, we'd expect to see most results to not be perfectly average, but falling within a certain range. And as that sample size increases, that expected range of deviation decreases.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
There actually is a difference in the 'predictability' of 10 coin tosses (your experiment is statistically identical to a coin toss so I'm going to use that), versus 100, versus 1000, etc.

So if you do enough tests the average is going to be about 50%, however any individual test could be 40%, or 80%, or 0%, or anything. The odds of it being around those numbers we can determine.

For 10 flips your average (as with all of them) will be 50%. The important difference is standard deviation. Standard deviation is, to put a complex subject simply, a measure of how much a set of data will vary. So if a standard deviation is high you can expect many measurements far away from the average, and if it is low then you would expect the measurements to be very close to the average. In fact, for a set of data like this, we know that ~68% of all measurements will be within 1 standard deviation plus or minus, ~95% will be within 2 plus or minus, and ~99.73% will be within 3 plus or minus.

For a set of coin flips, the standard deviation is going to be the squareroot(numberofflips*.25). So for 10 flips the standard deviation is about 1.6. This means that 95% of all experiments will fall between 5(the average) plus or minus (2*1.6), or 1.8-6.8 of either heads or tails.

For a larger experiment the standard deviation will be larger, but it will be smaller relative to the number of samples. Let's say we do 1000 coin flips. The standard deviation (by the formula above) would be 15.8. This means 95% of all trials would be between 452.6-557.4 heads or tails. When you consider the size of the trial that is actually a pretty impressive statistic.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
It gets a bit more weird when you ask groups to guess jelly beans in a jar or something.

quote:

The Columbia sociologist Hazel Knight kicked things off with a series of studies in the early 1920s, the first of which had the virtue of simplicity. In that study Knight asked the students in her class to estimate the room's temperature, and then took a simple average of the estimates. The group guessed 72.4 degrees, while the actual temperature was 72 degrees. This was not, to be sure, the most auspicious beginning, since classroom temperatures are so stable that it's hard to imagine a class's estimate being too far off base. But in the years that followed, far more convincing evidence emerged, as students and soldiers across America were subjected to a barrage of puzzles, intelligence tests, and word games. The sociologist Kate H. Gordon asked two hundred students to rank items by weight, and found that the group's "estimate" was 94 percent accurate, which was better than all but five of the individual guesses. In another experiment students were asked to look at ten piles of buckshot—each a slightly different size than the rest—that had been glued to a piece of white cardboard, and rank them by size. This time, the group's guess was 94.5 percent accurate. A classic demonstration of group intelligence is the jelly-beans-in-the-jar experiment, in which invariably the group's estimate is superior to the vast majority of the individual guesses. When finance professor Jack Treynor ran the experiment in his class with a jar that held 850 beans, the group estimate was 871. Only one of the fifty-six people in the class made a better guess.
http://www.randomhouse.com/features/wisdomofcrowds/excerpt.html

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Baldbeard posted:

A number of cities have adopted 311 as the go to non-emergency number. So if your car breaks down on the side of the highway, or if your neighbor keeps parking in front of hydrant, then you call 311. If the neighbors are trying to stab each other on the front lawn then call 911.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 9, 2014

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

And some places seem to prefer it if you just call 911.

When my car was struck by a hit and run driver while parked, I called the station for my district of Pittsburgh and was told to call 911 to file a report.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
When magazines post products as part of their "What's New" (or whatever) section, do they get paid by the companies? I suspect that companies send samples/product info to these publications hoping to get in, so maybe that's how they "pay" for play?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

socketwrencher posted:

When magazines post products as part of their "What's New" (or whatever) section, do they get paid by the companies? I suspect that companies send samples/product info to these publications hoping to get in, so maybe that's how they "pay" for play?

Pretty often, yeah, but not with money. They're paid with products or samples, like you suggest. It's generally a win win all around. From the point of view of the magazine, they're getting free content to fill pages. For the journalist they're getting a free thing and help writing a story, and the business gets free advertising.

For example, new restaurant sections in newspapers draw a lot of eyes, restaurants need a lot of press to make a good first impression, and journalists gotta write and eat. So they get a free meal, and they write a review. The same is done in a ton of industries.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

socketwrencher posted:

It's very rarely money, but usually free product according to the industry as you say, or sometimes gifts. I knew a guy who was a DJ in the 80s, and he insists record companies would "scratch your back" for playing whatever they were promoting with cocaine and strip club parties. Can't verify as I only heard his well after radio was dead, but given how it was at one point how most people connected to music, I could see it in a big city.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Is 40 minutes after the hour a standard time for commercials? Or at least in the morning? I notice that every morning while getting ready for work at 7:40 AM all of the stations I watch have commercials on. This is basically CBS, NBC, ABC, ESPN, ESPN 2, Food Network. Most mornings all of them have commercials at 7:40 AM (this is right before I turn off the TV and leave, so I notice it). Anyway, I went in an hour early one day last week and noticed that the exact same thing happened at 6:40 AM. Surely this isn't just a coincidence? I have noticed it for the past couple years because it annoys me...

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

socketwrencher posted:

Magazines don't profit by getting free samples, though. Basically, everyone sends free whatevers to a magazine and the editors are all "Oh, okay, drone/freelancer, try this X and see if it's any good and give me 100 words about it" and then whatever's left over sits around until some underpaid flunky takes it home.

Sending free samples is part of pretty much every consumer industry's marketing budget.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

AlbieQuirky posted:

Magazines don't profit by getting free samples, though. Basically, everyone sends free whatevers to a magazine and the editors are all "Oh, okay, drone/freelancer, try this X and see if it's any good and give me 100 words about it" and then whatever's left over sits around until some underpaid flunky takes it home.

Sending free samples is part of pretty much every consumer industry's marketing budget.

They benefit by not having to budget to purchase the whatever item, and also by having early access (usually) so even though the whatever thing isn't for sale when the issue's being prepped, they can still get the review out by the time it will actually release.

Separate from that, you have Consumer Reports and a few other magazines that always buy the product they'll review in the same way the average person would, refuse samples etc as part of maintaining a bias-free setup.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Install Windows posted:

They benefit by not having to budget to purchase the whatever item, and also by having early access (usually) so even though the whatever thing isn't for sale when the issue's being prepped, they can still get the review out by the time it will actually release.

Separate from that, you have Consumer Reports and a few other magazines that always buy the product they'll review in the same way the average person would, refuse samples etc as part of maintaining a bias-free setup.

Yes, but the "review early" is even more to the benefit of the whatever-sellers than to the manufacturers. It's a weird symbiosis, I agree, but it's not a bribe per se.

With car journalism you get to drive the car for a day up until a week, which is awesome if it's a good car, annoying if it's a mommybox.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

OctoberBlues posted:

Is 40 minutes after the hour a standard time for commercials? Or at least in the morning? I notice that every morning while getting ready for work at 7:40 AM all of the stations I watch have commercials on. This is basically CBS, NBC, ABC, ESPN, ESPN 2, Food Network. Most mornings all of them have commercials at 7:40 AM (this is right before I turn off the TV and leave, so I notice it). Anyway, I went in an hour early one day last week and noticed that the exact same thing happened at 6:40 AM. Surely this isn't just a coincidence? I have noticed it for the past couple years because it annoys me...

When I worked in radio breaks were at :20, :40 and :53 after the hour, every hour. So yes, that's pretty standard and if you've ever wondered why it seems that every radio station is playing commercials at the same time, it's because they pretty much are.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
How do I get the baby avatar? I want the baby 'tar.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Splurgerwitzl posted:

You get it by not having registered in 2009 when we got neither a free avatar or a baby avatar... Just the shame of nothing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Mister Kingdom posted:

I can't remember if I have gottne one like that but you'll definitely get side offers for lower. As sketchy as it sounds I've counteroffered if they do it off ebay so no ebay fees (PP still applies)

never had a problem but this is always for smaller, more niche things. You probably dont want to do it for a high ticket think like iphones, massive fraud risk

I had a Nigerian message me on Craiglist of all places.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Splurgerwitzl posted:

https://secure.somethingawful.com/products/titlechange.php
+
http://fi.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif
=
Stupid Newbie for the low low price of $5.00!

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

OctoberBlues posted:

Most of the day, hard breaks in TV are at x:30 and x:00 (when programs start). So the soft breaks are at ~x:15 and ~x:45, but these float (and can float a long way).

In the mornings, the major networks do a local news break at :25 and :55, throwing off the whole scheme - so the soft breaks float earlier, more like :10 and :40.

This is further explained by the fact that spot load is 16-20 minutes an hour (~30% of an hour), so it's really not outside the realm of reality at any point in the hour to flip through the stations and see a lot of them tied up in commercial breaks - because 30% of the time, they're in a commercial break.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

I was cleaning a dusty room yesterday and I woke up with one of my eyes super red and irritated. I think the dust and super dry weather must have jacked it up. Is there any over-the-counter stuff that would help soothe my eye? I've heard stuff like Visine doesn't actually help -- it just makes your eyes less red by constricting the blood vessels.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Baldbeard posted:

I was cleaning a dusty room yesterday and I woke up with one of my eyes super red and irritated. I think the dust and super dry weather must have jacked it up. Is there any over-the-counter stuff that would help soothe my eye? I've heard stuff like Visine doesn't actually help -- it just makes your eyes less red by constricting the blood vessels.

You want saline eye drops. They're more or less bottles of manufactured tears. You probably still have some gunk in your eyes, so flushing them with "tears" will help make them feel better. The ingredient you want to avoid is naphazoline hydrochloride, which constricts blood vessels like you mentioned. It's really not going to do anything bad per se, but you probably don't need it.

e: Also water works. When I've had really gritty eyes in the past some nice cool water always felt the best.

kedo fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 10, 2014

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I'm having a problem with MS Word 2010. When I highlight a line of text, a small box featuring bold/italic/font/etc. pops up before I'm done and stops me from fully highlighting what I want to highlight like 70% of the time. Very annoying. Is there anyway to turn this off? It's only become a problem recently which I find odd.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Today I picked up two sets of X-Rays from two different doctors to take to a specialist. I was hoping I could look at them myself because they each led to a different diagnosis. Each are a single burnable CD, but won't load when I try them on any of several computers. Is there some propriety data format that is making these disks not load or did I win the bad luck lottery and get two bum disks.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Xenoborg posted:

Today I picked up two sets of X-Rays from two different doctors to take to a specialist. I was hoping I could look at them myself because they each led to a different diagnosis. Each are a single burnable CD, but won't load when I try them on any of several computers. Is there some propriety data format that is making these disks not load or did I win the bad luck lottery and get two bum disks.
My doc can send mine as a .jpg. They are basically worthless without the interpretations of the doctor anyhow. It's like taking your computer to the shop and when they diagnose it with the problem, you ask for the schematic of the motherboard so you can take a look yourself. That said, if you have the right doc, they will point out the important parts of what brings them to a particular conclusion.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Xenoborg posted:

Photomikey is right. But if you want a look anyway, they are likely in DICOM (.DCM) format. There are a million free viewers for the "normal" formats: http://www.idoimaging.com/

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Thanks to both of you, that viewer worked. As expected I can tell no difference between the two, but that was just curiosity. I'm taking them both to another doctor tomorrow.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Xenoborg posted:

So, I have some experience in this area, and can tell you that while it could be a variety of issues, two bad discs are quite a bit down the list. Odds are the images are in a proprietary format. Most likely problems:

1) You are trying to use an Apple/Linux/anything but Windows computer to view them.

2) You are not auto-running the disc you are using to look at the images. It probably contains a viewer in it (odds are an executable format).

3) You do not have admin rights on the Windows computer you are trying to open the disc on.

4) You are attempting to run the disc on a version of Windows that was released in the last decade. I am not making GBS threads you. There is a significant chance your doctor's office is using imaging software that will only run on Windows XP. And I do mean Windows XP proper, not an emulated version of XP (some of the viewing software will run neither in Boot Camp nor XP Mode, only in XP proper; I have to keep old XP laptops around my office for just this purpose).

Welcome to U.S. Healthcare!

EDIT: Nice, glad that worked. So, soooooo late. :(

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
What's a good Windows program for creating a voiceover for a video?

I have a long voiceover track that I'm trying to slice up or insert pauses into to match the points on a video, the program that I made the video in doesn't have audio editing, so I have to create the voiceover separately to match the video and import it as a separate file.

My ideal endstate would be a single MP3 file that I can just load into the video program and export from there.

I have Adobe Premiere but I haven't used it for unlinked audio like this and it doesn't seem to do exactly what I'm looking for.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Audacity is pretty good for single-track editing and simple recording

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Xenoborg posted:

Thanks to both of you, that viewer worked. As expected I can tell no difference between the two, but that was just curiosity. I'm taking them both to another doctor tomorrow.

Can you let us see them? I've always wanted to see inside another goon.