Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?
Awesome info, thanks!

Does it make a difference if I introduce Zee to my friend before she meets his dog? Maybe raise her comfort level with him around as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Dirt5o8 posted:

Awesome info, thanks!

Does it make a difference if I introduce Zee to my friend before she meets his dog? Maybe raise her comfort level with him around as well?

Couldn't hurt. If her issue is mainly dogs, I wouldn't expect it to help much.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
Our 6 month old Labrador swallowed a big chunk of kneecap while we were watching him last night. :(

This morning's x-ray show the bone still in his stomach so they don't think it'll go out on its own. We got wet food and laxatives to try to help at least until Monday when surgeries aren't twice as expensive. He's asymptomatic for now so the vet thinks we can wait and see how it goes.

Here's to hoping everything goes well. :ohdear:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Good luck! Lab puppies should really just come with a zipper installed, they pretty much all need something removed at some point.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
So does anyone else's dog...chirp? I can't come up with any other explination for it, but my chihuahua (mix? no one quite knows) has recently started chirping. It's not a yelp, like when he's in pain or when i suddenly displace him off my lap and startle him, and its a lot more high pitched than when he howls (I've trained him to "sing") and he only does it when he's in one of our laps, and generally when one of us is baby-talking him because, well, cute little dog. Is this like a normal thing for some dogs, or is something wrong? He doesn't seem to be in pain or anything, and he just occasionally lets out this really high pitched, not really a squeal and its like a howl turned up 3 or 4 octaves.

also, gently caress dog owners that don't pick up after their dogs. first nice day all winter so i took him out on a long walk, which took twice as long because we had to stop and sniff every pile of dog crap. which was...every ten feet. I'm apparently the only dog owner in a complex of like 2000 with at least 100 other dogs that picks up after my dog. We ran into three other dogs on our walk (which made me happy because since I've had him, i really havent seen him interact with other dogs, and he was really well behaved. completely ignored one dog that was twice his size and then the little sheltie we ran into they walked up to one another, sniffed, and then he looked up at me like "what do i do now?" and had no problems when we continued going our way and the sheltie went their way) and I was the only one with a plastic bag in hand. It's a pain in the rear end to have to avoid stepping in dog crap walking him. Would I be an rear end for suggesting to the complex management to start enforcing the "curb your dog" rule?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Welp, the first thaw of the year comes with the unwelcome reminder that Penny remembered she loves to dig in the yard.

Going to have to nip this in the bud ASAP somehow. And quick. I don't want to have to supervise her every second she's outside at 8 months now.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I've seen people suggest giving dogs their own sandboxes to dig in. That might be a possible solution. Or at least part of one.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Ponyfields posted:

How much squirty cream can I feed my puppy, and how regularly? It's like puppy crack and other dogs can actually be near her while she's eating it without her going totally loving mental because OMG other dogs.

It only has cream, sugar and propellants in it so I figure it should be fine in moderation? She doesn't seem to be having any bad reactions to it at the moment and ate about 1/3 of a can today. I'd probs be using about half a can on Wednesday for puppy class and half a can on Saturdays for 1 to 1 training.

How many calories are in that amount?

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

crowtribe posted:

Rescue dog appears to have incontinence. She's been peeing herself in her sleep, and because she's deaf, when the cats cautiously come over for a sniff, she sprays piss in her shock that someone's appeared RIGHT NEXT TO HER.

We originally took her to the vet last week when we first got her for an initial check up and noted that she was stopping to pee constantly, often with nothing coming out, so they gave us antibiotics in case of a UTI, as the vet explained incontinence could cause a UTI, or alternatively, a UTI could cause incontinence, and one keeps causing the other endlessly.

Is there any treatment for incontinence in dogs? It's been 6 days, and we super love her, but it's getting a little frustrating having to mop pee up constantly with no warning and no way to train her out of it.

It depends on what the cause of the incontinence is. How old is your dog?

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
Oh man, a reply for me!

The rescue says about 3.5, but we took her into the vet yesterday (woo Sunday vets) and they said she's more likely around 5. She has been spayed.

They gave us some preprprpelisone stuff to drop 3/4 of a mL onto her food twice a day and see how that goes, as the effects should be noticeable within just a few days. If there's no luck with that, they'll look into doing an ultrasound to check the ureter path and make sure it's not a congenital defect.

Also she's stone loving deaf. The vet dropped a bed pan (or surgical instrument pan?) on the ground which made me and my girlfriend just about poo poo our pants, and Lexie didn't even turn around to look.

If you can think of anything else to raise with the vet as we go through this, please don't hesitate to tell me - the more I know the happier I'll feel about how we proceed and long-term prospects.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
That sounds like a pretty good plan assuming you mean phenylpropanolamine. Here's a site that goes through common reasons for urinary incontinence in dogs: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_urinary_incontinence.html

Also deaf dogs rule. Did the rescue know why she was deaf?

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
From what I've gathered she was dumped at a pound in a pretty neglected state and was due to be PTS. The vet couldn't find any good reason to do so and snuck her out into a breed-specific rescue.

She apparently had quite a lot of infections and issues with her ears when the rescue got her and they were trying for some time to sort them out. In the end she had to have an ablasion procedure to her right ear, and I think the left has just been so damaged as to leave her deaf. It's odd to ruffle one side of her face and not feel that connection/limitation of movement of the ear canal.

But, she's cool as, sleeps a lot, has a spazz out every 2-3 days with her toys, barely notices the cats, and is just really friendly considering her past.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

crowtribe posted:

Oh man, a reply for me!

The rescue says about 3.5, but we took her into the vet yesterday (woo Sunday vets) and they said she's more likely around 5. She has been spayed.

They gave us some preprprpelisone stuff to drop 3/4 of a mL onto her food twice a day and see how that goes, as the effects should be noticeable within just a few days. If there's no luck with that, they'll look into doing an ultrasound to check the ureter path and make sure it's not a congenital defect.

Also she's stone loving deaf. The vet dropped a bed pan (or surgical instrument pan?) on the ground which made me and my girlfriend just about poo poo our pants, and Lexie didn't even turn around to look.

You know, since she wasn't born deaf, this may be partly an acclimatization issue. She doesn't hear someone walking up next to her and gets startled when you're suddenly there.

I had a ferret who was congenitally deaf and nothing ever fazed him. He was 100% accustomed to sensing vibrations from the ground to know when someone was approaching, and I can't think of a single time anyone got the drop on him, whereas if I was quiet I could soundly startle my other ferrets.

Sounds like your pup may have done underlying urinary issues, but I think she'll get better with the startling over time as she learns to cope with her deafness. It may sound silly, but try walking more heavily around her so she begins to get the sense of people moving around her. The cats will always be difficult since cats are naturally tiptoers, but she'll get better at sending them too with time.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Engineer Lenk posted:

See a dog -> cue -> focus only on me and not on the environment is mostly a management technique; it requires you to be proactive. It does not decrease leash reactivity in a number of dogs that I've seen. I prefer to use Look At That because I think it works better and it makes the environmental triggers into a game rather than something that you're trying desperately to keep them from seeing.

In terms of polite greetings, I'd recommend a CGC class to learn how to be near other dogs on leash while you meet with their owner and not letting him 'say hi'. Any tension on the leash will mess with dogs' natural body language - it makes them come in with more energy in straight lines (a fairly aggressive posture). Beyond that, if your dog is already stressed, any touch or pressure is likely to make him react - including a tug on the leash.

Many clueless owners with 'friendly' dogs have anything but that - their dogs come in with high energy, tower over little dogs and sniff intrusively, then are 'friendly' because they bounce into a play bow. My terrier mix will have none of this - she escalates from a freeze with whale eye to a snarl to a snap, but she pauses at each step. Dogs who are appropriate will see her signs and back off. When I let her greet a bigger dog (on-leash or off), I'm picky about who she interacts with and I keep the whole thing very short, calling her away before she can get upset. If a dog comes by that I don't want her to meet, I put myself between her and the other dog and ask the owner to call them away or stay back.

If you want to let him greet and don't want to let him practice bad behavior, work on greetings that last no more than two seconds. He goes, gets a sniff, then you walk on and give him a treat.

I just wanted to follow up on this and say thank you so much for the ideas, and that Oskee and I have been making progress. We've been doing a mix of "Look At That"/ignoring some dogs/the short greeting for others. I've been paying more attention and if a dog comes up to him that's full of energy, super riled up, bouncing off the walls, Oskee gets really loud and aggressive quickly. If it's a more passive dog, then Oskee is much more receptive to it. It's warmed up so I've been taking him for more walks, and out of the seven dogs that we met, he only flipped out on one. Progress! One of the dogs, an older Husky, he sniffed and walked alongside for a few minutes like he had known her his whole life. It was awesome!

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Any frisbee recommendations for a Lab/Retriever? We've been getting these plastic ones from the dollar store but they don't fly too well and she eventually cracks them in half. I see the Kong or Chuck-it ones but I have no idea how good they actually are.

Just thought I check in here for dogs with similar interests. (Chasing gliding poo poo)

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

m.hache posted:

Any frisbee recommendations for a Lab/Retriever? We've been getting these plastic ones from the dollar store but they don't fly too well and she eventually cracks them in half. I see the Kong or Chuck-it ones but I have no idea how good they actually are.

Just thought I check in here for dogs with similar interests. (Chasing gliding poo poo)

Once it's warmer I'm going to try to get Artemis into frisbee too. And yeah, the plastic one we had lasted maybe a day before damage beyond repair so any recommendations would be great

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I like Hero discs (http://www.herodiscusa.com/canine-dog-discs). Jawz discs (http://hyperflite.com/jawzdiscs.html) are considered some of the toughest ones around. But, they're still just plastic, so dogs with a strong bite will still go through them relatively quickly, so if you get serious about it be prepared to buy lots. They're pretty expensive (or at least, shipping can be), so best bet is to place an order in bulk with a few friends, or buy them from a club.

Those discs can be used in competition too. Disc Dog is a hella fun sport.

a life less fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 12, 2014

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

a life less posted:

I like Hero discs (http://www.herodiscusa.com/canine-dog-discs). Jawz discs (http://hyperflite.com/jawzdiscs.html) are considered some of the toughest ones around. But, they're still just plastic, so dogs with a strong bite will still go through them relatively quickly. They're pretty expensive (or at least, shipping can be), so best bet is to place an order in bulk with a few friends, or buy them from a club.

Those discs can be used in competition too. Disc Dog is a hella fun sport.

Anything with maybe a rubber type coating? As of now we're playing in our back room and it's so loud when it hits the wall. The Chuck-it ones appear to be kevlar fabric or something so they may be much quieter.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

The Kong puppy frisbee is rubber so it's decent for play inside. The Jawz Soflite would probably work well inside since it's made of a softer plastic. Not sure of others. Basically the softer the disc the poorer it flies, so you kind of have to trade off with it.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

a life less posted:

The Kong puppy frisbee is rubber so it's decent for play inside. The Jawz Soflite would probably work well inside since it's made of a softer plastic. Not sure of others. Basically the softer the disc the poorer it flies, so you kind of have to trade off with it.

Thanks.

I think in the end I may try out the Chuck-it brand ones at petsmart. Reviews seem ok and I can't really justify $13 in shipping to Canada for a frisbee.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
My wife and I are thinking about adopting a Huskie mix puppy from a rescue. Is there anything about huskie puppies we should watch out for aside from the normal puppy stuff? We already have a 6-year-old beagle dachshund mix who seems to get along better with bigger dogs, but how well do huskies do with smaller dogs?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

My wife and I are thinking about adopting a Huskie mix puppy from a rescue. Is there anything about huskie puppies we should watch out for aside from the normal puppy stuff? We already have a 6-year-old beagle dachshund mix who seems to get along better with bigger dogs, but how well do huskies do with smaller dogs?

I love huskies. That said, they're assholes. They have a rough style of play that a lot of dogs take exception to and there's often just something about the way they hold themselves that turns a lot of dogs off. They're also very energetic and not particularly inclined to listen to you even at the best of times. Off leash control is tough, but doable with lots of training and careful management.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

a life less posted:

I love huskies. That said, they're assholes. They have a rough style of play that a lot of dogs take exception to and there's often just something about the way they hold themselves that turns a lot of dogs off. They're also very energetic and not particularly inclined to listen to you even at the best of times. Off leash control is tough, but doable with lots of training and careful management.

Thor's style of play is very nippy and wrestly, so he'll love that. We also don't do any off-leash outside of the local dog park because off leash dogs are illegal here and we don't have a back yard. Thor typically gets two 45-minute walks a day, but those could easily be made longer if that's not enough exercise for a huskie.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This is my first puppy and boy is she stubborn and bitey as hell. We think she's a mix of a Pomeranian and a Beagle (Bomberanian or a Peagle, can't decide) and she loves to nip at my toes.

The question I have is when will she let me pet her? She's very smart. She's two months old and we've already taught her sit and shake, she knows her name, she knows when she's doing something bad (oh I thought you meant the OTHER curtains), but whenever I try to scratch her behind the ears she just wants to play.

Is that normal?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

This is my first puppy and boy is she stubborn and bitey as hell. We think she's a mix of a Pomeranian and a Beagle (Bomberanian or a Peagle, can't decide) and she loves to nip at my toes.

The question I have is when will she let me pet her? She's very smart. She's two months old and we've already taught her sit and shake, she knows her name, she knows when she's doing something bad (oh I thought you meant the OTHER curtains), but whenever I try to scratch her behind the ears she just wants to play.

Is that normal?

"Pom Beagle cross" is just fine.

That sounds pretty normal. Whether she ever calms down enough to let you do it will be dependent on her personality as she ages. I know that my herding dog has only just recently (at 4 years old) begun truly enjoying scratches and cuddles (and only then in moderation). Before that she'd acquiesce but made it clear that she was tolerating it for me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey can I use a plastic pet carrier as a crate or do I need one of those wire things

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
The plastic carriers (sometimes just called airline crates) are totally fine. Many people use them instead because their dogs figure out how to bust out of the wire crates.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
So for some reason my 4 month-old pug has become really into eating kitty litter over the last day or so. I make sure there's no poop in the litter boxes each morning, but I'll still catch Frodo with his nose in the box, trying to eat it. I use silica crystals because my cat is a prissy rear end in a top hat who won't poop on anything else, and I have no idea how much litter he's been eating when I'm studying or generally not looking and how much of a risk it is for him to be eating the crystals.

Every time I catch him going near the litter box I've been calling him and distracting him from it, and I've changed the litter over completely to see if it's the taste of urine or something he likes. I'm not too sure what else I can do without disturbing the cat too much.

e: Nope, apparently he also likes clean litter. What is so goddamn tasty about silica I really don't understand

Ten Becquerels fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 16, 2014

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Ten Becquerels posted:

So for some reason my 4 month-old pug has become really into eating kitty litter over the last day or so. I make sure there's no poop in the litter boxes each morning, but I'll still catch Frodo with his nose in the box, trying to eat it. I use silica crystals because my cat is a prissy rear end in a top hat who won't poop on anything else, and I have no idea how much litter he's been eating when I'm studying or generally not looking and how much of a risk it is for him to be eating the crystals.

Every time I catch him going near the litter box I've been calling him and distracting him from it, and I've changed the litter over completely to see if it's the taste of urine or something he likes. I'm not too sure what else I can do without disturbing the cat too much.

e: Nope, apparently he also likes clean litter. What is so goddamn tasty about silica I really don't understand

Can your cat figure out those kitty doors for a covered litter box? My cat figured it out pretty quickly, but my puppy hasn't at all. (The otherwise quite smart labrador retriever I had as a kid never figured out how to open doggy/kitty doors or human doors that were open a crack.) Managing access seems much easier than trying to train this ASAP.

Here's the kitty litter I have:

You just kinda have to remember to be diligent about scooping, since the the lid covers the smell it makes it really tempting to not do it as often, but whoo boy think about how it smells inside.

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 16, 2014

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Hey can I use a plastic pet carrier as a crate or do I need one of those wire things

I use an airline crate for my dog most of the time, because she likes her airline crate better than the wire one. It works fine. The only thing you really have to be aware of is when it is hot because the reduced air flow because of the mostly solid sides means that it'll get hotter in there faster. I live in a pretty hot climate and don't use air conditioning much so I had to be aware of that during the summer and either move it to a cooler spot in the house or turn on the cooler if I was going to lock her in there. It isn't a big deal most of the time though, just on miserably hot days or in the car.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

Ten Becquerels posted:

You have a couple options here:

1. You can buy a box like DirtyRobot recommended, or if you're worried the dog will figure it out or you're cheap/broke/whatever, you can also just get a large storage bin with a lid like this, and cut a hole in the lid for the cat to jump down into(in case it isn't obvious, you put the litter inside the bin). I see this recommended a lot in dog circles and since your dog is smaller it should work great.

2. You can also use a baby gate in the doorway to where you keep the box. For me, I keep mine in the bathroom. I have a baby gate up that blocks off the entry way hall that blocks the front door, kitchen, and bathroom. You can get these cheap off Craigslist(mine was :10bux:)

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif
I've been looking into getting a puppy for the last few years now, but kept putting it off as I couldn't decide on the right breed. A lady I work with has had her 5 year old Cavalier King Charles spaniel knocked up, she loves her dog and wants another bitch one from her line. It has never been a breed I'd considered in the past, I remember a neighbour had one when I was a kid and it was a lovely friendly dog. I've spent the last week reading into them and think it would be a perfect addition to our family.

I'm in the UK. Both parents are Kennel Club registered. Before the mating occurred lineages were checked going back six generations to avoid interbreeding, neither have issues with hereditary illnesses typical to the breed. I'm not familiar with dog shows and the like but have been told the bitch has 1 champ in her line and the stud 16 (not a clue :iiam:). I'm happy with the breeders and lineage, if anything seems amiss here please let me know. The puppy will be Kennel Club registered and have had it's first injection when I receive it. There is an estimate price of £400 but my colleague thinks it will be less, her main aim is to have one pup for herself and cover expenses so I should get "mate rates", £400 seems reasonable for the type and breeding from what I can see though.

I'm a bit concerned that we have a two year old cat, and an 8-10 week old puppy will probably look tasty to her. Personally I can't stand her but I wouldn't get rid of her for the world, she's part of the family. The pup will be getting cage trained. Would keeping the pup in the cage for the first few days when the cat is around so they can get used to each other before introducing them while under supervision be sufficient? I'm planning on keeping the dog in a large cage when unsupervised until he's close to fully grown but would like him to have some freedom when I'm around and don't want to worry about the cat having a snack when I go for a dump. The cat mainly leaves the house for her active hours before coming home for food and a nap so it may be a non-issue, I'm just hoping for a bit (probably a lot) of advice so I know how to deal with problems that arise.

I wouldn't be bringing the pup home until July so I have plenty of time to prepare. I just wanted to see if any red flags pop up with anyone in this situation.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Xillah posted:

I'm in the UK. Both parents are Kennel Club registered. Before the mating occurred lineages were checked going back six generations to avoid interbreeding, neither have issues with hereditary illnesses typical to the breed.

Really? Because, like, every CKC in the world has a heart murmur.

Wikipedia posted:

Nearly all Cavaliers eventually suffer from disease of the mitral valve, with heart murmurs which may progressively worsen, leading to heart failure. This condition is polygenic (affected by multiple genes), and therefore all lines of Cavaliers worldwide are susceptible. It is the leading cause of death in the breed. A survey by The Kennel Club of the United Kingdom showed that 42.8% of Cavalier deaths are cardiac related.

They're awesome, fun dogs, but they are very far from a healthy breed. Don't kid yourself (or let the breeder kid you!) about the potential for serious illness. As long as you're okay with that, CKCs can be pretty great pets.

http://www.cavalierhealth.org/mitral_valve_disease.htm posted:

Heart mitral valve disease (MVD) is the leading cause of death of cavalier King Charles spaniels throughout the world. MVD is a polygenetic disease which statistics have shown may afflict over half of all cavaliers by age 5 years and nearly all cavaliers by age 10 years, should they survive that long.

The cat thing is doable with some management. I'm running short on time so I'll leave it to others to hash out a proper answer.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif
The bitch is 5 right now, not sure about the stud, he could be younger. At present there aren't any problems.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

FizFashizzle posted:

We think she's a mix of a Pomeranian and a Beagle (Bomberanian or a Peagle, can't decide)

Please don't. Like ALL said, just call it a Pom Beagle mix. Cutesy designer dog names are a huge pet peeve of mine and everyone hates them except other people who use them. If you're really intent on a stupid name, at least make it so it's obvious what the mix is(vs your current two ideas which is just taking the first letter of the other breed).

FizFashizzle posted:

Is that normal?

My shiba puppy was the same way and would go into mouthing mode when I tried to pet her. I followed kikopup's training on teaching her not to mug my hand for treats(video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRT6r6d79OU, it's basically the beginning building blocks for leave it). Teaching her that reaching hand =/ food incoming got rid of 75% of her mouthing issues. I would give that a try.

Xillah posted:

I've been looking into getting a puppy for the last few years now, but kept putting it off as I couldn't decide on the right breed. A lady I work with has had her 5 year old Cavalier King Charles spaniel knocked up, she loves her dog and wants another bitch one from her line. It has never been a breed I'd considered in the past, I remember a neighbour had one when I was a kid and it was a lovely friendly dog. I've spent the last week reading into them and think it would be a perfect addition to our family.

I'm in the UK. Both parents are Kennel Club registered. Before the mating occurred lineages were checked going back six generations to avoid interbreeding, neither have issues with hereditary illnesses typical to the breed. I'm not familiar with dog shows and the like but have been told the bitch has 1 champ in her line and the stud 16 (not a clue :iiam:). I'm happy with the breeders and lineage, if anything seems amiss here please let me know. The puppy will be Kennel Club registered and have had it's first injection when I receive it. There is an estimate price of £400 but my colleague thinks it will be less, her main aim is to have one pup for herself and cover expenses so I should get "mate rates", £400 seems reasonable for the type and breeding from what I can see though.

I'm a bit concerned that we have a two year old cat, and an 8-10 week old puppy will probably look tasty to her. Personally I can't stand her but I wouldn't get rid of her for the world, she's part of the family. The pup will be getting cage trained. Would keeping the pup in the cage for the first few days when the cat is around so they can get used to each other before introducing them while under supervision be sufficient? I'm planning on keeping the dog in a large cage when unsupervised until he's close to fully grown but would like him to have some freedom when I'm around and don't want to worry about the cat having a snack when I go for a dump. The cat mainly leaves the house for her active hours before coming home for food and a nap so it may be a non-issue, I'm just hoping for a bit (probably a lot) of advice so I know how to deal with problems that arise.

I wouldn't be bringing the pup home until July so I have plenty of time to prepare. I just wanted to see if any red flags pop up with anyone in this situation.

FYI, KC registered doesn't mean anything as far as health goes, it just means that both dogs are purebred. Just saying, don't take it to mean they're healthy. I like that she made sure she wasn't inbreeding, though. Having champs in the line doesn't mean much besides they've won dog shows, which means they conform to the breed standard(or a judges interpretation of the breed standard), but again, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's a healthy dog because the way some breeds are interperated produces some really unhealthy dogs. Not sure if thats the case with Cavs.

My experience of cats and puppies is that my cats want nothing to do with her. It's been about 2.5 months since we brought her home and they're just now venturing so far as to jump on the bed when she's up here. How we managed it(because shibas have a high prey drive), is we got a cat tree for the cats, positioned in the living room, and then blocked off a portion of the house(entryway+bathroom+kitchen) with a baby gate so that if puppy was being an obnoxious butt they had two different places on opposite sides of the apartment to escape to.

I would be wary about leaving the dog in a crate a lot to start, if only because I'm not sure how used to the crate she'll be right off the bat and I wouldn't want to risk the dog starting to associate the crate with being alone/bad things. That said, a lot of people like to use the crate especially in the beginning to manage potty training, so if your dog takes well to it that's a good option. You can also get an xpen, which will give the dog a bit more freedom and mobility, which is what we did because our puppy started showing minor signs of separation anxiety that was only exacerbated by being confined to such a small space. When we introduced them we did it with the cats on one side of the baby gate, and puppy on the other.

I would ask the breeder is she's done any OFA testing on her dogs and/or if any of the dogs farther back down the line have been tested, same with their eyes? Cavs are prone to lots of hips, knees, and eye problems. What about tested to see if either parent is a Syringomyelia carrier? Cavaliers have issues, man.

Hope this all made sense, I'm a little sleep deprived and hung over at the moment.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

Psychobabble! posted:

FYI, KC registered doesn't mean anything as far as health goes, it just means that both dogs are purebred. Just saying, don't take it to mean they're healthy. I like that she made sure she wasn't inbreeding, though. Having champs in the line doesn't mean much besides they've won dog shows, which means they conform to the breed standard(or a judges interpretation of the breed standard), but again, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's a healthy dog because the way some breeds are interperated produces some really unhealthy dogs. Not sure if thats the case with Cavs.
Thanks for the info, clueless about shows and the like, it isn't something I'm interested in. There are issues with this breed as standard, they a're all descended from about half a dozen dogs that survived world war two.

Psychobabble! posted:

My experience of cats and puppies is that my cats want nothing to do with her. It's been about 2.5 months since we brought her home and they're just now venturing so far as to jump on the bed when she's up here. How we managed it(because shibas have a high prey drive), is we got a cat tree for the cats, positioned in the living room, and then blocked off a portion of the house (entryway+bathroom+kitchen) with a baby gate so that if puppy was being an obnoxious butt they had two different places on opposite sides of the apartment to escape to.
My house isn't open plan so I can just close doors, I'm reluctant to do that though as the cat gers prissy if she can't have the run of the place. I'm looking at 4ft cat trees to give her a high spot she can chill in if the pup is trying to use her as a chew toy, the big worry for me is her getting pissed off and trying to off the pup. Yo the replies I've had so far have relived some of my concerns.

Psychobabble! posted:

I would be wary about leaving the dog in a crate a lot to start, if only because I'm not sure how used to the crate she'll be right off the bat and I wouldn't want to risk the dog starting to associate the crate with being alone/bad things. That said, a lot of people like to use the crate especially in the beginning to manage potty training, so if your dog takes well to it that's a good option. You can also get an xpen, which will give the dog a bit more freedom and mobility, which is what we did because our puppy started showing minor signs of separation anxiety that was only exacerbated by being confined to such a small space. When we introduced them we did it with the cats on one side of the baby gate, and puppy on the other.
I'm going to be at home full time for the first fortnight then have shorter days for another couple of weeks after that (then it's the summer holidays so there will be someone there most of the time). The cage will be a large breed one with a divider so he won't be cramped, I mainly want it for toilet training/ sleeping / playing. Ultimately it's about the little fella having a safe environment that is 'his' so I need him to feel comfortable in there.

Psychobabble! posted:

I would ask the breeder is she's done any OFA testing on her dogs and/or if any of the dogs farther back down the line have been tested, same with their eyes? Cavs are prone to lots of hips, knees, and eye problems. What about tested to see if either parent is a Syringomyelia carrier? Cavaliers have issues, man.
I'l recheck what the parents have been tested for as I'm unsure about Syringomyelia, I think it will be fine as the owner has treat the mating like a eugenics programme.

Psychobabble! posted:

Hope this all made sense, I'm a little sleep deprived and hung over at the moment.
It's helped with some concerns and given me more to think about and check into so it's just what I needed. Thanks for your advice.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
How old should a puppy be before it's okay to start leaving them alone at home for hours at a time

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

How old should a puppy be before it's okay to start leaving them alone at home for hours at a time

Nyx is 11 months old and we just left her alone for 8 hours for the first time with no accidents. General rule was for every 1 month they are alive is 1 hour they can hold their bladder. Seemed to hold up fairly well for us until about 6 months in, then we just played it by ear.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Artemis is about 14 months now, and Jada is right around 10-11 months now, and while I trust that they can hold their bladders (they do overnight and are well house broken at this point) I think they're just too energetic at this point to be let loose. Maybe in a couple of years once they calm down I'll restrict them less (maybe some day I'll move them up to a room they can play in during the day rather than a crate) but I'd be very careful of jumping into the deep end. Not only can puppies compete for the "how the gently caress did you get ahold of that?!" awards, but the chewing, the eating, the "let's run around the house and make sure to step in that brown stuff I made earlier every time". I just don't see it happening for me any time soon (my dogs are super danty now, and don't step in poop. But when they were puppies, whoah boy it was a daily occurence. Inside OR outside, they just didn't pay attention.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

mcswizzle posted:

Artemis is about 14 months now, and Jada is right around 10-11 months now, and while I trust that they can hold their bladders (they do overnight and are well house broken at this point) I think they're just too energetic at this point to be let loose. Maybe in a couple of years once they calm down I'll restrict them less (maybe some day I'll move them up to a room they can play in during the day rather than a crate) but I'd be very careful of jumping into the deep end. Not only can puppies compete for the "how the gently caress did you get ahold of that?!" awards, but the chewing, the eating, the "let's run around the house and make sure to step in that brown stuff I made earlier every time". I just don't see it happening for me any time soon (my dogs are super danty now, and don't step in poop. But when they were puppies, whoah boy it was a daily occurence. Inside OR outside, they just didn't pay attention.)

I guess it all depends on the type of Dog. Nyx is a Lab/Retriever and I'm pretty sure she sleeps all day when we're not around. Which means she's got so much energy when we get home. Can't wait until it's nicer out so I can just run her around the field for an hour.