Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
i really wish that we had some movie/tv versions of culture stories but i do realize how unfilmable they are

*writes "consider phlebas" in crayon on a titan a.e. dvd and pretends*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

ol qwerty bastard posted:

i really wish that we had some movie/tv versions of culture stories but i do realize how unfilmable they are

spraypaint a bicycle seat silver and hang it from wires like some old doctor who poo poo and there's a drone. make it talk like a bad c3po impression and autotune it

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
what was that movie where the alien was literally a spraypainted beach ball

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SmokaDustbowl posted:

what was that movie where the alien was literally a spraypainted beach ball

dark star, i think

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

that was a cool movie

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

AlsoD posted:

can somebody (i'm looking at you coffeetable) please remind me of what happened at the end of the 1st Stormlight Archive book please

so the parshmen are dormant destroyers? do they know? what will reactivate them?

so by the end of the way of kings, iirc
  • kaladin (the slave) has worked out he magic, n has been employed as dalinar's bodyguard
  • dalinar (the lord) discovers his visions are from the Almighty, that the Almighty is long dead, and that the "Everstorm" is coming soon
  • shallan (the aristo girl) has revealed herself to jasnah (the scholar girl), who turns out to be magic too. she tells shallan the parshmen are the "Voidbringers". implication is they'll turn evil when this "Everstorm" turns up
  • szeth (the assassin) turns out to be commanded by some prescient king guy, who has told him to kill dalinar

i feel ashamed for reading this poo poo, but it certainly hits the spot.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

SmokaDustbowl posted:

spraypaint a bicycle seat silver and hang it from wires like some old doctor who poo poo and there's a drone. make it talk like a bad c3po impression and autotune it

i was going to duct tape a smartphone to a quadrotor; that's halfway to being an irl drone other than lacking in field technology

maybe i should make a stop-motion lego movie about the culture

e: but seriously, titan a.e. was actually pretty neat. the ship in it is totally how i imagine the clear air turbulence to look

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

shaggar your general taste in things has me really wondering if java/c# are actually any good

lmfao

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

This move owns, btw

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
lmbo i got banned from some reddit for suggesting that guinan was a magical negro

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lmbo i got banned from some reddit for suggesting that guinan was a magical negro

qfb

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
now that u mention it they never really resolved Guinan did they? some kinda ancient being, rolled with the likes of the q continuum for a while, idk mebes exists outsied ofp time. who knows. some serious tremagik going on there (lil combo of trek and magic right there idk if it works)

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Smythe posted:

some serious tremagik going on there (lil combo of trek and magic right there idk if it works)
magitrek

like magitek, in the final fanatsy games

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

hi, i post on reddit and i don't like marky mark

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Sham bam bamina! posted:

magitrek

like magitek, in the final fanatsy games

noice, thnx 4 this. lets signal b00st this neologism out into the trekosphere

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Smythe posted:

now that u mention it they never really resolved Guinan did they? some kinda ancient being, rolled with the likes of the q continuum for a while, idk mebes exists outsied ofp time. who knows. some serious tremagik going on there (lil combo of trek and magic right there idk if it works)

her species just lives a really long time

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
cool...

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
guinan was a terrible character

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

her species just lives a really long time

that wouldn't entirely explain how she senses stuff like how tasha was supposed to be on the enterprise c &c

unless she was like bill murray in groundhog day or something and she'd seen all of this before

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

syscall girl posted:

that wouldn't entirely explain how she senses stuff like how tasha was supposed to be on the enterprise c &c

unless she was like bill murray in groundhog day or something and she'd seen all of this before

too many trips through the nexus

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Beeftweeter posted:

troi doesnt bother me as much because she's sort of the bubbly airhead that got to be on senior staff or whatever by having a weird ability and being nice to people and poo poo in the midst of all these super smart engineers and tacticians and whatnot, she's kinda just like a regular person (also: titties)

guinan on the other hand has p much no redeeming characteristics other than "shes mysterious" even though the writers didnt seem to realize that having a character never say or explain or do anything of consequence doesnt make them mysterious, even though we're supposed to hold this person in high regard it just makes them completely loving useless. i wouldn't have minded the character as much if she had some flaws a la troi being an idiot but instead they just tacked on more stupid loving supposedly mysterious retarded bullshit

they could have been the same character i guess, but when troi says "i dont know i cant really explain sorry" you figure its just because she's dumb and everyone basically glosses over it, when guinan goes "oh i dont know blah blah blu" everyone goes "whoa holy poo poo we gotta figure this one out guys all stop"

denise crosby has two ways of delivering lines: YELLING ALL THE TIME TO MAKE SURE YOU KNOW SHE'S SURE or completely flat with emphasis on the wrong words

january jones is pretty terrible too though i'll give you that

here i'll quote myself from 2011

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

maybe guinan had similar origins to sisko

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
space ghost?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
yea, some space ghosts came down and b0ned my dad... idk... i g2g become a space ghost now. bye -sisko

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
space ghost owns

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

q-punching demigod

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Beeftweeter posted:

space ghost owns

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
mods rename smythe to pranceatron

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
gonna tackle m'fker DUKAT into this fire and join me ol mom as a space ghost. yall can come visit if the blue worm hole world thats also a rock planet if u want. ill also come back sumtime. no, dont worry. when? idk.. mebes next week, mebes over 9000 years! hehe. well, cya jake. remember, thats jake, hehe. dont go back into 20s or smthing - advice from ur pops. take care of cassidy, cassidy - little tip: ur rebel homies all got a$$fuKed by my coworkers and i laughed. bye -sisko

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

maybe guinan had similar origins to sisko

we need some minorities on our show that aren't a gang of space black dudes that get shitfaced on space beer and then do a bunch of space crimes

oh, so personality free autistic overachievers or black people with magic powers

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
just finished against a dark background again

gently caress it owns so hard

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cocoa Crispies posted:

coincidentally, same here

and it does

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Cocoa Crispies posted:

hell yeah

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
just finished the silo trilogy, it was p good

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

i'm most of the way through "the wise man's fear" now

it's definitely weaker compared to the first book. seems kind of aimless. oh i'm at the university. oh okay now i'm suddenly across the continent working for a rich dude. welp now i'm a mercenary hunting bandits. and now i'm stuck in the fairy world hanging out with a literal sex goddess (who i totally wowed with my awesome sex moves even though i'm only 16 and had never had sex before :smug: )

i can only hope that he plans to bring everything to some sort of conclusion in the third book

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
finished caprica, it got better towards the end and that little montage of "the next season" actually looked kinda decent. i guess they didn't know it wasn't renewed lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
reminder that the new cosmos starts tonight

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i just finished it an hour ago, kept waiting for the culture to show up and was a lil disappointed it wasn't there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

haveblue posted:

reminder that the new cosmos starts tonight

Gonna plug in the ol rabbit earzzz

• Locked thread