Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

OldTennisCourt posted:

For a channel called Comedy Central they sure as hell had possibly the worst selection of movies I've ever seen. I think the highest quality movie they ever did was Ghostbusters 2 and UHF like once or twice.

I swear Comedy Central played Monty Python and the Holy Grail back in the day, and that's where I first saw it, but you have me doubting my memory...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
They did play Holy Grail in the past.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

I really thought we were getting Independence Day today but instead we got Don't Tell Mum The Babysitters Dad.

Even better.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Flython posted:

I really thought we were getting Independence Day today but instead we got Don't Tell Mum The Babysitters Dad.

Even better.

Is this a typo or a Mrs Doubtfire joke?

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Meme Emulator posted:

Is this a typo or a Mrs Doubtfire joke?

It's a Flophouse gag. I love how much gold they pull out of minor mispronunciations.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Flython posted:

It's a Flophouse gag. I love how much gold they pull out of minor mispronunciations.

Oh, hah, I just assumed you were talking about the movie choice of one of the other million bad movie podcasts.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

HDTGM is up with "Winter's Tale" and HOLY poo poo. I know nothing about this book, didn't even know this was a movie that was out, and I am blown away. My favorite episodes are the ones that they do movies I haven't seen and now I cannot wait to watch this movie to try and make some sense of this.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cams posted:

HDTGM is up with "Winter's Tale" and HOLY poo poo. I know nothing about this book, didn't even know this was a movie that was out, and I am blown away. My favorite episodes are the ones that they do movies I haven't seen and now I cannot wait to watch this movie to try and make some sense of this.

I would have loved to been there when Jason thought he was the only one in the theater and then Andy Daly shows up.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Was literally about to post how incredible that would have been. National tragedy that June wasn't on this episode, would love to have heard her thoughts/interpretation on it.

Best thing about the episode is them talking about the insane trailer for Blended - I watched it twice last week and still could not work out the premise for the film.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Doubtfire and Winter's Tale for the lovely movie podcasts today? My cup runnith over, but ya know, with poo poo.

Winter's Tale is so loving crazy and terrible, when it shuffles onto Netflix with a wet fart, I massively recommend it.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Still can't wrap my head around how Blended's plot works. How does 4 tickets turn into 7 tickets? Why buffalo wings so spicy?

I have to see Winter's Tale just for the Will Smith parts. I thought they were joking at first.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Still can't wrap my head around how Blended's plot works. How does 4 tickets turn into 7 tickets? Why buffalo wings so spicy?

I have to see Winter's Tale just for the Will Smith parts. I thought they were joking at first.

Nothing they said about it was a joke, that's how stupid this poo poo is, the best joke is just describing what happens.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

The Mrs. Doubtfire episode of WHM, so loving good. Every time they busted out the impression I was cracking up.

Oooh dearie just making some mincemeat pies in the loo!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

The WHM Mrs. Doubtfire was a good close to listener request month. My favorite parts were pointing out there was nothing wrong with Pierce Brosnan, and that Robin Williams went on the anti-smoking tirade but had a serious drinking problem that was never addressed.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Mrs. Doubtfire was my childhood introduction to "unsympathetic rear end in a top hat wins back ex from good-natured rebound spouse" films. To date, my favorite example of the genre is a made-for-TV movie called Christmas Do-Over. It's basically Groundhog Day, but Christmas. Unlike its contemporaries, the main character is under no uncertain terms the villain, and the most sympathetic character is the ex-wife's new fiance. Jay Mohr, the psycho presented as our hero, spends the movie studying all the wonderful things the fiance does for his ex-wife. Instead of learning about how the fiance pays more attention to her and thus developing as a character, he uses his Groundhog Day powers to learn how best to either sabotage the fiance's plans or steal them for his own. The end result is an entirely innocent man watching the woman he loves get taken away from him over the course of one day by an irredeemable human that did not learn anything from the experience except how to use miracles to cheat.

I'm planning on submitting the movie to the next WHM request month :xd:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I was really hoping they would discuss the fact that the original ending of the movie had them get back together. Just hearing the outrage over that would be incredible.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

DoombatINC posted:

Mrs. Doubtfire was my childhood introduction to "unsympathetic rear end in a top hat wins back ex from good-natured rebound spouse" films.

loving "Liar, Liar."

DoombatINC posted:

Unlike its contemporaries, the main character is under no uncertain terms the villain, and the most sympathetic character is the ex-wife's new fiance. Jay Mohr, the psycho presented as our hero, spends the movie studying all the wonderful things the fiance does for his ex-wife. Instead of learning about how the fiance pays more attention to her and thus developing as a character, he uses his Groundhog Day powers to learn how best to either sabotage the fiance's plans or steal them for his own. The end result is an entirely innocent man watching the woman he loves get taken away from him over the course of one day by an irredeemable human that did not learn anything from the experience except how to use miracles to cheat.

So it's Eternal Sunshine from the point of view of Elijah Wood's character?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

DoombatINC posted:

Mrs. Doubtfire was my childhood introduction to "unsympathetic rear end in a top hat wins back ex from good-natured rebound spouse" films. To date, my favorite example of the genre is a made-for-TV movie called Christmas Do-Over. It's basically Groundhog Day, but Christmas. Unlike its contemporaries, the main character is under no uncertain terms the villain, and the most sympathetic character is the ex-wife's new fiance. Jay Mohr, the psycho presented as our hero, spends the movie studying all the wonderful things the fiance does for his ex-wife. Instead of learning about how the fiance pays more attention to her and thus developing as a character, he uses his Groundhog Day powers to learn how best to either sabotage the fiance's plans or steal them for his own. The end result is an entirely innocent man watching the woman he loves get taken away from him over the course of one day by an irredeemable human that did not learn anything from the experience except how to use miracles to cheat.

Kind of reminds me of when they reviewed Babyface and Addicted to Love, both of which focused on terrible people ruining some innocent person's life in pursuit of their "true love".

Is "rear end in a top hat wins the love of the innocent while destroying a second innocent life" a secret film genre?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Kind of reminds me of when they reviewed Babyface and Addicted to Love, both of which focused on terrible people ruining some innocent person's life in pursuit of their "true love".

Is "rear end in a top hat wins the love of the innocent while destroying a second innocent life" a secret film genre?

Most romanitic comedies?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Most romanitic comedies?

Mind BLOWN.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
Holy poo poo Winter's Tale :psyduck:

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SoupyTwist posted:

Holy poo poo Winter's Tale :psyduck:

I almost want to see it because it sounds amazingly bad. Will Smith out of nowhere in a Hendrix shirt? In 1916? And that scene isn't in the book? Sold!

Not that I'd spend money on it but I can't wait until it's on netflix.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Soooooo...

Are just not going to talk about this week's We Hate Movies?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Evil Mastermind posted:

Soooooo...

I'm still trying to get through it. I'm really glad this movie was aggressively forgotten. Jesus.

Edit: "I was just remembering the first time I kissed you. It was at your Christening. Your mother was powdering your bottom and I said I wanted to be the first man to kiss it. And I leaned over and I did."

"How dare you drive a tiny baby wild with desire. *giggle*"

:gonk: :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: :gonk:

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 4, 2014

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

I might be alone in this, but I prefer the WHM episodes about romantic comedies because these movies seem to be the least aware about how messed up they are (Addicted to Love, The Pallbearer, Babycakes, Date with an Angel). I know sexual politics were a little different in 1984 but GOOD GOD what were these people thinking when they read the script?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

bobservo posted:

I might be alone in this, but I prefer the WHM episodes about romantic comedies because these movies seem to be the least aware about how messed up they are (Addicted to Love, The Pallbearer, Babycakes, Date with an Angel). I know sexual politics were a little different in 1984 but GOOD GOD what were these people thinking when they read the script?

I wish I could remember where I saw it, but I think Michael Caine will take any role offered to him because the dude just loves acting, or he sees any role as a chance to improve his skills. He's apparently been in 115 films in his career.

Still, he should have broken his rule for this one.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

I wish I could remember where I saw it, but I think Michael Caine will take any role offered to him because the dude just loves acting, or he sees any role as a chance to improve his skills. He's apparently been in 115 films in his career.

This might have been the point where he needed money. Christopher Walken is the one who just loves acting.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Edit: "I was just remembering the first time I kissed you. It was at your Christening. Your mother was powdering your bottom and I said I wanted to be the first man to kiss it. And I leaned over and I did."

I about threw up in my car when I heard that. I'm definitely inflicting this movie on my friends. I can't even imagine who would write this poo poo - I'm gonna gently caress your daughter, but you've been loving my wife, and you know what, let's all just get our families back together and it'll all work out.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

"How dare you drive a tiny baby wild with desire. *giggle*"

I'm so glad I was alone in my car when I heard this.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Evil Mastermind posted:

Caine famously quipped in an interview that he hasn't seen Jaws: The Revenge, but he has seen the house he built with the money he made doing it. He's an unapologetic working actor.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I swear to God from the way it's described thought this movie was supposed to be an Edward Albee drama or at least a horrific thriller and not a comedy right until the very end.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Soooooo...

I just came to the forum to post about it.

I've actually seen Blame it on Rio... unfortunately. They're not misrepresenting the film. I've held that it's Michael Caine's worst movie and considering some of the poo poo he was in during the 80's and 90's that's saying something.

bobservo posted:

Whenever I come across a movie or book where the sexual relationships are that screwed up I have to look toward the creators putting their fantasies on the screen. Hot teenager throwing herself at an older man? I wonder if the fact that one of the credited writers and the director were hitting their sixties when they were making the film had anything to do with that...

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Yeah, that bit made my skin loving crawl. They mentioned American Beauty, and I agree that the comparison works, but I'd also mention a little known film called Beauty, which shows how loving creepy and wrong it really WOULD be for a man to creep on the nubile child of his best friend, a child that he'd known since birth and who considered him an uncle. Except in Beauty, the situation plays itself out in a much more realistic fashion - no one has any idea that the "uncle" wants to bang the kid, least of all the kid himself - until the last minute, when all his creepy stalking ends with him raping his friend's son. I mean...if you're going to do a story like this, at least acknowledge and recognise that it's just...really really gross and unsavoury, and stop trying to make it into a romantic sex romp or whatever the gently caress.

bobservo posted:

Oh, I completely agree. I mean...silly action movies have a certain sort of predictability to them (Oh, that acting was really over the top/bad! Oh, that explosion/effect was insane/really terrible looking!), whereas bad romcoms/romantic dramas/sexy thrillers/family movies or whatever...are all horrible in beautifully unique ways, and I love to see them being taken down. And I mean..in a bad action movie, when a guy does something weird and bad, he's usually the bad guy - whereas in a movie like Mrs Doubtfire, you're supposed to think that everything's lovely and sweet when in fact it's weird as gently caress.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I got way too excited when I saw that The Flop House was doing a bad movie that I have actually seen this week. And they made the same mistake I did ("Renny Harlan doing a movie about the Dyatlov Pass incident? Even if it's not good it's going to be crazy!").

snackpants
Sep 3, 2009

Watch how fast I type "motherfucker."
Genuinely (and probably one of the few) kind of disappointed there were no Floppies this last episode. The "Stuart Face Down on the Floor Watching 'Oogieloves' Award for the Movie That Almost Broke Me" is one of the most beautiful things ever said during the podcast.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I truly think Blame it on Rio is the worst movie that We Hate Movies has ever done. There may be films that were produced worse, filmed worse or had worse acting, but holy poo poo that line everyone here has already quotes was stunningly bad. The writer HAD to know that line was going to totally destroy the rest of the movie right?

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

In case you missed the announcement, WHM has a new episode of Animation Damnation about the Teen Wolf cartoon: http://whmpodcast.bandcamp.com/

OldTennisCourt posted:

I truly think Blame it on Rio is the worst movie that We Hate Movies has ever done. There may be films that were produced worse, filmed worse or had worse acting, but holy poo poo that line everyone here has already quotes was stunningly bad. The writer HAD to know that line was going to totally destroy the rest of the movie right?

Definitely the most vile comedy they've done, and WHM has covered some bad ones. I suggested Overboard (1987) during their first listener request month, and I was bummed they didn't use it, because that so-called "comedy" has a premise that could easily be rewritten into a horror movie.

bobservo fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 10, 2014

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

OldTennisCourt posted:

Yeah I listened to it on the train and I had to get up and move to a place where I was certain nobody else could hear it.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Overboard should get reviewed by How Did This Get Made, with Paul F. Tompkins as the guest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

sweeroy posted:

Yeah I listened to it on the train and I had to get up and move to a place where I was certain nobody else could hear it.

I literally started cringing and making faces on the train before I remembered I was on a train when they played the line the bottom powdering. That's some gross poo poo.