Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Roar posted:

For what I remember, he's pretty good at building projects and poo poo and tends to cut out a lot of boring stuff, so he's got that going for him. If you like watching people play with square blocks for thirty minutes at a time, that is.

Though why people enjoy him enough to go to that level of creepy stalking is beyond me

He's one of those guys who just has some really annoying habits like reading everything out loud, laughing at his own jokes and generally appealing to his audience of small children.

That said, I can't understand why anyone would want to track down a let's player like they are suddenly going to be best friends simply because the stalker really like the videos the LPer puts out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Lazyfire posted:

He's one of those guys who just has some really annoying habits like reading everything out loud, laughing at his own jokes and generally appealing to his audience of small children.

That said, I can't understand why anyone would want to track down a let's player like they are suddenly going to be best friends simply because the stalker really like the videos the LPer puts out.

People tend to have horrible social skills. The internet has made this fact worse in most regards.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lazyfire posted:

Well, LP'ers who put out a lot of content inevitable show a window into their lives. Chip Cheezum for example has had his dad for a video or two and talks about his life or events in them every so often. You end up feeling like you know the lp'er in question, but the truth is you don't, and that leads to them believing they can be easy friends.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

For the same reason all stalkers do. Because they're crazy.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
The same thing happens to anchormen and women. So hey, at least there are fewer people bothering weatherladies, right? Look at that silver lining.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Apparently, Markiplier has someone roleplaying as him on twitter. That's... pretty loving creepy right there!

VampireWatermelon
Jul 16, 2012

ALFRED! Take me to Joker's hideout!

Maremidon posted:

I'm reminded of this old video Chip and Ironicus did. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFAy-Ajua8g

Oh god, you're right!

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

I can normally handle things I encounter online, but for some reason online roleplaying just strikes me as way stranger than a lot of other things. And this poo poo right here is incredible.

For anyone lucky enough to not have looked, from what I can gather he's currently interacting with his daughter Elsa (the loving ice queen from Frozen), trying to explain how he's injured from some sort of argument with her other father (identity unknown). What in the gently caress is this. WHY in the gently caress is this.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

PAMaster posted:

some sort of argument with her other father (identity unknown)

Oh, that's no joke some other LP guy. At least, that's what I get when I google "Yamimash".

I mean, I don't see the appeal of online roleplaying; but when people do it with real people; its definitely a lot worse. Its like when people decide to write fanfictions involving pewdiepie or retsupurae or something - you're actually writing about a real person who probably isn't happy about you writing about them loving Sonic the Hedgehog...

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

IceAgeComing posted:

Oh, that's no joke some other LP guy. At least, that's what I get when I google "Yamimash".

I mean, I don't see the appeal of online roleplaying; but when people do it with real people; its definitely a lot worse. Its like when people decide to write fanfictions involving pewdiepie or retsupurae or something - you're actually writing about a real person who probably isn't happy about you writing about them loving Sonic the Hedgehog...

I actually mentioned the Yamimash dude back when the thread first started. He's an incredibly annoying LPer who does facecams for nearly everything and if you look through Markiplier's videos they collaborate all the time. It's just this giant network of poo poo between Marki, PDP and Yamimash. Maybe Athene can show up and tell us how he's the best gamer in the world after this.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

Lazyfire posted:

I actually mentioned the Yamimash dude back when the thread first started. He's an incredibly annoying LPer who does facecams for nearly everything and if you look through Markiplier's videos they collaborate all the time. It's just this giant network of poo poo between Marki, PDP and Yamimash. Maybe Athene can show up and tell us how he's the best gamer in the world after this.

I've seen a video of this Yamimash before! It was of Sonic.exe, because I was interested in finding out what it was. Turns out, that was a poor decision on my part.

I lasted until 1:25.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

RSCNyx posted:

I've seen a video of this Yamimash before! It was of Sonic.exe, because I was interested in finding out what it was. Turns out, that was a poor decision on my part.

2:30 for me. What a worthless video.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

RSCNyx posted:

I lasted 0 seconds. I just hovered over the video, got the thumbnail, and decided "nope, I'm not clicking that poo poo".

I think this tells me everything I need to know about what lurks behind that link. If only all videos were this open.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I'm more surprised that his audio is so badly balanced. I cannot hear a drat word he's saying.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 9, 2014

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

Combat Lobster posted:

I'm more surprised that his audio is so badly balanced. I cannot hear a drat word he's saying.

To be honest, I considered it more of a blessing.

I could go without hearing him mindlessly say, "buukake" when he sees a pile of dead animals. I wonder if he considers any large group of things a "buukake".

In all seriousness, though, yeah, his audio balancing sucks rear end. For being a big-ish YouTuber, I'm pretty shocked.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Apparently, roleplaying as youtube people is a thing, because there's also a toby turner one and at least 15 pewdiepies.

I'm strangely fascinated by this. I mean, there might be some appeal in pretending to be someone from a fictional TV show or something because its a way of escaping a boring life my pretending that you're a superhero. But these guys are pretending to be LP people; which means that they're escape from a dull life is being a man who plays videogames?

Its the thing about fandom of LP people though. I find the tumblr-style fandom thing insufferable (the whole bad gif, post about doctor who all day 365 days a year thing is terrible); but for some reason its worse when its not a kids TV show and instead someone playing games for the internet. Like there's a real person there, and writing stories about them loving another real person when they're both famous for playing games for the internet is just way too far for me...

Also; if you ever write this line:

the first loving tumblr post when i searched posted:

So if you don’t like that PewDiePie dry-fucks a plastic doll in his videos, then don’t loving watch him.

then you need to reassess your life...

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Yamimash also has a video of another game based off a creepypasta. It's hilariously bad. (both the video and the game) This brings up two questions in my mind:

1) Just how loving many terrible video games based off of terrible video game creepypastas are there?

2) Is it about time for a reboot of Slowbeef's House of Horrors?

e: Christ, here's another. THE POKEMON CHILLS AND THRILLS JUST DON'T STOP, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 9, 2014

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

RSCNyx posted:

To be honest, I considered it more of a blessing.

I could go without hearing him mindlessly say, "buukake" when he sees a pile of dead animals. I wonder if he considers any large group of things a "buukake".

Honestly, It took me roughly a minute or so to notice that Tails little mouth expression was his mouse cursor on the middle of the screen, and not just another lovely graphic of the game. I wonder if he strategically put it there for that exact purpose. Deep meaning yo.

IceAgeComing posted:

the first loving tumblr post when i searched posted:

So if you don’t like that PewDiePie dry-fucks a plastic doll in his videos, then don’t loving watch him.

Technically, he/she makes a point. That's one of the main reasons I don't watch PewDiePie. Unfortunately however, he/she made this technically truthful statement for all the wrong reasons.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The idea of someone dry-loving a plastic doll while on a webcam is hilarious but I have a feeling pewthepie finds a way to gently caress it up.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

forbidden lesbian posted:

The idea of someone dry-loving a plastic doll while on a webcam is hilarious but I have a feeling pewthepie finds a way to gently caress it up.

Lol.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

DSP would blame the manufacturer saying that the holes are bugged and that the belly button is too small. If he ever opens the box for it...

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Well, yeah. That's what he's doing

KamenZero
Oct 19, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

DSP would blame the manufacturer saying that the holes are bugged and that the belly button is too small. If he ever opens the box for it...

He would then sell the doll after he's finished (or even before he's finished) and give away the empty box with his signature on it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

KamenZero posted:

He would then sell the doll after he's finished before he could finish, citing hardware issues, and give away the empty box with his signature on it.

Then ask for more donations.

Mazo Panku
Nov 30, 2013

Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?
All the last page or so of this thread has managed to do is make me want to start my own roleplay Livejournal, as DarkSydePhil, wherein he is actually a heavily misunderstood nice guy who is constantly bullied by slowbeef and Diabetus. In my elaborate head-canon, DSP and Awesome Incarnate start a loving relationship and become best friends with Sly Cooper and Hank Goku, and they go on adventures with lightsaber keyblades and multiple facecams.

This is going to take ages to write... I mean, plagiarize heavily from the world's worst fanfiction, so do me a favor and don't start a Livejournal account called DarkSydexRPxPhil before I do, okay? In order to keep the canon in line with reality, I need to refrain from creating the account for a while and then make a post complaining about how bullshit the controls on Livejournal are.

dijon du jour posted:

e: Christ, here's another. THE POKEMON CHILLS AND THRILLS JUST DON'T STOP, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!

I certainly get chills when people fail at the Unown alphabet. Still lacking thrills, though. 9/10

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

So, I have been looking for a good explanation why facecams are bad. I do know they are bad, and I kinda (?) know why - but what really makes them bad. What are the fundamental reasons?

They distract the viewer from the actual content, I realize that. But is that really the only reason?

e: I want to tell people how stupid they are.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Michaellaneous posted:

So, I have been looking for a good explanation why facecams are bad. I do know they are bad, and I kinda (?) know why - but what really makes them bad. What are the fundamental reasons?

They distract the viewer from the actual content, I realize that. But is that really the only reason?

Most of the time, they obscure a part of the game, which in itself is already pretty bad, but another thing to consider is that since the LPer has decided that their face must be present on screen so you can get reactions, then they are saying that they're more important than the game they're playing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

It's mostly because they add nothing to the video of a thing you're maybe thinking of spending 60 or more dollars on depending on where you live.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Michaellaneous posted:

My usual explanation is that it tries to emphasize the LPer as a character who's more important than the game itself, which goes against the primary thing about LPs, showing off a game.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

RareAcumen posted:

It's mostly because they add nothing to the video of a thing you're maybe thinking of spending 60 or more dollars on depending on where you live.

The ones on Dark Souls are usually hilariously pointless because the streamers are almost always utterly expresionless, they might as well be a rock.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Angrymog posted:

The ones on Dark Souls are usually hilariously pointless because the streamers are almost always utterly expresionless, they might as well be a rock.

On the other hand, a lot of them fake their reactions to the point where they're overly expressive and obnoxious.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Yeah it kinda what I thought, but now I finally could write together a decent reply. Thanks.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Really, I just think that if it's not the thing you specifically turned on your Tv or Computer to watch then it doesn't need to be there. Notice how tv people never tried to make Picture-in-Picture a constant necessary component in their products.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Michaellaneous posted:

Yeah it kinda what I thought, but now I finally could write together a decent reply. Thanks.

Because people will tell you "but I like scarecams!" as if that's a counterpoint, concede that maybe there is something to it and an acceptable level of compromise is to...

1. Rather than just throw up a screen and call it a day, try to incorporate it in the UI somehow
2. Ask - does the scarecam need to be present through the entirety of the playthrough? Can't we have it come in/out when particularly interesting poo poo happens rather than all the drat time?

Kajmir
Jan 17, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Most of the time, they obscure a part of the game, which in itself is already pretty bad, but another thing to consider is that since the LPer has decided that their face must be present on screen so you can get reactions, then they are saying that they're more important than the game they're playing.

TARDISman posted:

My usual explanation is that it tries to emphasize the LPer as a character who's more important than the game itself, which goes against the primary thing about LPs, showing off a game.

I agree with this sentiment, but I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say that sometimes the let's play is nothing more to these people than a stage for them to perform on. For some people, like PDP, they could play literally anything and their viewers wouldn't care either way. So it's easy to see why these people might begin to think that they're more important than the games they play.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Not strictly scarecams, but I always thought it would be interesting if someone doing a shooter or something had a map layout maybe over the motion sensor or the minimap and used that to talk about the path they were taking through the area and why it works. Maybe a Splinter Cell game like that would be viable, showing off the routes, hiding spots, guard positions and so on before tackling an area.

The scare/facecam thing is really distracting from the game being played, but I think someone can still find a use for it that isn't terrible. Until then, YouTube superstars are going to dress up like Mario and play Super Mario Sticker Star in the most low effort way possible.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

slowbeef posted:

2. Ask - does the scarecam need to be present through the entirety of the playthrough? Can't we have it come in/out when particularly interesting poo poo happens rather than all the drat time?

In all the years of scarecam's existence, [it's been years right?] I can't believe still that no one has done a horror game and decided to not put up the scarecam the whole time through and only pull it up when there's a thing on the screen that they're shocked by.

Actually that would require some thought on their part so no wonder I've never seen it.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
I kinda wanted to do something dumb for La-Mulana or the sequel where it's a "notebook" cam, where the viewer would progressively see my notebook spiral out of control with clues from the game. Though thinking about it, images in a forum would probably be better for that.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.
On the topic of extra stuff added in, what do you guys think of controller cams when it comes to really intuitive things like speedruns or fighting games or something like that? The best example I can think of is Trihex's streams. I don't think it adds TOO much, but it's kind of neat to see how ridiculously fast and technical something as simple looking like Yoshi's Island is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Highwang posted:

I kinda wanted to do something dumb for La-Mulana or the sequel where it's a "notebook" cam, where the viewer would progressively see my notebook spiral out of control with clues from the game. Though thinking about it, images in a forum would probably be better for that.

It would probably be better to do the note-taking off-screen (since it's just downtime), and at that point, just making images and posting them along with the videos would be better anyway. But that's a pretty good idea that way - and I'm almost certain it's been done before. There was this weird puzzle-point-and-click game where you're in some eccentric guy's museum that never got opened and there's these spirits that attack you, and there's an LP of it in the Archive, and I think the LPer gave shots of his notebook as he went along playing, but I just can't remember the name because it's been a while since I read it.

• Locked thread