Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Since it's International Women's Day (or was yesterday depending on where you live) I thought I'd share some maps about the treatment of women in different countries.

Both are from this Wikipedia article and both are from 2011 so they're a little bit outdated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

So is there any country where women are physically secure? Because it doesn't look like it.

Unless one of those countries that looks like "no data" is. The colors are pretty bad on that map.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Maybe one of the microstates?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Do any women live in Vatican City?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Ofaloaf posted:

Do any women live in Vatican City?

Nuns.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Not to poop in anyones cereal, but isn't the idea of absolute physical security for anyone incredibly utopic?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Not to poop in anyones cereal, but isn't the idea of absolute physical security for anyone incredibly utopic?

That's why stand your ground laws are so important :v:

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Ammat The Ankh posted:

So is there any country where women are physically secure? Because it doesn't look like it.

Unless one of those countries that looks like "no data" is. The colors are pretty bad on that map.
Let's see...

Groenland? Mostly empty, I don't know how native women fare.

Svalbard? Even less people, large proportion of contract miners and scientists? Wiki says among safest places on Earth.

Western Sahara? Does not exists, move along, move along, says the Moroccan soldier.

Central African Republic? Currently in a vicious civil war with ethno-religious overtones.

So best countries are Sweden, Danemark, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland and Austria.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

That map makes it seem like there are huge differences amongst European countries. France has 'high' while Germany has 'medium'? I don't think those countries are that different in this regard. Maybe some very subtle differences. But nothing compared to the difference between Europe as a whole and, say, Saudi Arabia. And that country is only two 'color' steps away from Germany?

This map doesn't make much sense to me.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Groenland? Mostly empty, I don't know how native women fare.
My immediate suspicion would be "not particularly well", due to a combination of social problems and alcohol abuse.

Yeah, looking it up, half of the women on Greenland have either suffered actual violence, or serious threats of violence, and the remoteness of the country pretty much leaves them to deal with it on their own. At least the alcohol abuse part has improved massively in recent years, falling by 30% since 2000, so now they drink less on average than us Danes. (Not that we're the image of appropriate alcohol use.)

http://www.westnordic-equality.org/violence-against-women

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
This is their definition, for what it's worth:

quote:

A. Multivariate Scale #1 (Physical Security of Women) MULTIVAR-SCALE-1: Originally coded February 2007 (look for updates in database); Professor Mary Caprioli's Physical Security of Women Scale. WomanStats variables examined include DV (Law 1, Practice 1 and 2, Data 1 (Domestic Violence), LRW (Law 1, Practice 1 and 2, Data 1 (Rape and Sexual Assault), LRCM (Law 2, Practice 1 and 2, Data 1 (Marital Rape), MURDER (Practice 1, Data 1). In 2013, we also asked coders to examine newer variables as well, including EWCMS (Practice 3, Law 5, Data 2 and 3), GEW (Practice 1, Law 1, Data 1), Suicide Practice 1, UVAW Practice 1, and LRCM Practice 2, Law 3, Data 2. We also asked coders to use the following scales as a check: Murder Scale 1, Suicide Scale 1, LRW Scales 4, 5, and 6. (NOTE: This scale does not include female infanticide, which is covered under the ISSA scales.)

0 – There are laws against domestic violence, rape, and marital rape; these laws are enforced; there are no taboos or norms against reporting these crimes, which are rare. There are no honor killings or femicides.*

1 - There are laws against domestic violence, rape, and marital rape; these laws are generally enforced; there are taboos or norms against reporting these crimes (or ignorance that these are reportable crimes), which crimes are not common. Honor killings and femicides do not occur.

2 - There are laws against domestic violence, rape, and marital rape; these laws are sporadically enforced; there are taboos or norms against reporting these crimes (or ignorance that these are reportable crimes), which are common. Honor killings and/or femicides are quite rare, occurring only in small pockets of the population, and are condemned by society.

3 – There are laws against domestic violence, rape, but not necessarily marital rape; these laws are rarely enforced; there are taboos or norms against reporting these crimes (or ignorance that these are reportable crimes), which affect a majority of women. Honor killings and/or femicides may occur among certain segments of society but are not generally accepted within the society.

4 – There are no or weak laws against domestic violence, rape, and marital rape, and these laws are not generally enforced. Honor killings and/or femicides may occur and are either ignored or generally accepted. (Examples of weak laws—need 4 male witnesses to prove rape, rape is only defined as sex with girls under 12—all other sex is by definition consensual, etc.)

The map you can find here is scaled green-to-red and it's more obvious that there aren't any countries with full security for women on their definition.

Zohar fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Mar 9, 2014

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Zohar posted:

The map you can find here is scaled green-to-red and it's more obvious that there aren't any countries with full security for women on their definition.

Then why even include it on the scale? It just compresses the rest of the categories and makes the data less useful.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Then why even include it on the scale? It just compresses the rest of the categories and makes the data less useful.

They probably include that to say that women are never totally physically secure, which is what the point of the map is to show.

Or, less cynically, perhaps they're anticipating the worldwide situation getting better in the future and include that step on the scale so they don't have to add additional steps on the scale and there can be some continuity when people look at that map across different years.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Makes it obvious that "Women have high levels of physical security" isn't a level we should settle for, it's just superior to the other ones.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Makes it obvious that "Women have high levels of physical security" isn't a level we should settle for, it's just superior to the other ones.

I think that's what they're going for, given that it's explicitly "fairly high" rather than just "high" on the map I linked.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Because if there's one thing that would help England, it's the destruction of its most valuable defensive asset.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TheBalor posted:

Because if there's one thing that would help England, it's the destruction of its most valuable defensive asset.

It looks like this was proposed during the interwar period as well.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

At least World War 2 would have been more interesting.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

computer parts posted:

It looks like this was proposed during the interwar period as well.

Maybe it was proposed by Germans.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Kennel posted:

Maybe it was proposed by Germans.

Sneaky bastards even put the Battle of Jutland on that map!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Kamrat posted:

Since it's International Women's Day (or was yesterday depending on where you live) I thought I'd share some maps about the treatment of women in different countries.

Both are from this Wikipedia article and both are from 2011 so they're a little bit outdated

You won't break any laws by trafficking women in Iran? I find that difficult to believe.

Also: the Caspain Sea isn't a good place for women, either.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Count Roland posted:

You won't break any laws by trafficking women in Iran? I find that difficult to believe.

You've never heard of temporary marriages?
Edit: sorry, broken w key messing with link.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Count Roland posted:

Each data point has sources in their database -- in this case it appears that until 2004 the law in fact didn't specifically prohibit trafficking in persons, and even after a law was passed that year illegalising it the regime has apparently continued to be directly involved in trafficking according to various different sources, so they've presumably taken the law to be non-credible. You need to create an account to see the data but it's free, and looks quite useful actually.

Though yeah the filling in of internal seas on those maps is a bit weird.

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

My immediate suspicion would be "not particularly well", due to a combination of social problems and alcohol abuse.

Yeah, looking it up, half of the women on Greenland have either suffered actual violence, or serious threats of violence, and the remoteness of the country pretty much leaves them to deal with it on their own. At least the alcohol abuse part has improved massively in recent years, falling by 30% since 2000, so now they drink less on average than us Danes. (Not that we're the image of appropriate alcohol use.)

http://www.westnordic-equality.org/violence-against-women

It's actually gone worse, a recent examination pointed out that 50% of native greenland women have been molested, sexually assaulted, or raped, before the age of 18.

80% of the time, it's a family member, 10% of the time, it isn't a family member, but still someone close. (teacher, stepfather/stepmother, etc...)

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

SniHjen posted:

It's actually gone worse, a recent examination pointed out that 50% of native greenland women have been molested, sexually assaulted, or raped, before the age of 18.

80% of the time, it's a family member, 10% of the time, it isn't a family member, but still someone close. (teacher, stepfather/stepmother, etc...)

Wow, those are horrible statistics.

Have any good articles on the subject that I can read?

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

Kamrat posted:

Wow, those are horrible statistics.

Have any good articles on the subject that I can read?

It's hard to come by, I have a few.
English
http://www.circumpolarhealthjournal.net/index.php/ijch/article/viewFile/18263/20956

Rapes, and attempted rapes (that was actually reported to the police)

and this one:
Danish
http://www.si-folkesundhed.dk/upload/detsvaereungdomsliv_dk.pdf
pages 83 and forward.

25% kvinder og 6% mænd var blevet tvunget eller forsøgt tvunget til nogen form
for seksuel aktivitet som barn (under 13 år) (34).

25% women, and 6% of men, have been forced, or attempted forced, into some sort of sexual activity as a child (below 13 years) (note 34)

Other notes from here: (regarding a 2004 report) "this is an increase since 1993-94, but that is mostly because of the increased focus on the problem.
(only a few (no specific number) of the children actually talked to the police, so it is certain, that the actual numbers are much higher.)

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantropa

http://strangemaps.wordpress.com/2008/06/08/287-dam-you-mediterranean-the-atlantropa-project/

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Wasn't one of these proposals meant to create a homeland for European Jews instead of them going to Palestine?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Question: Would these ridiculous "Reclaim the land from the sea"-type megaprojects be more or less expensive than just building a space colony?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

SniHjen posted:

It's hard to come by, I have a few.
English
http://www.circumpolarhealthjournal.net/index.php/ijch/article/viewFile/18263/20956

Rapes, and attempted rapes (that was actually reported to the police)

and this one:
Danish
http://www.si-folkesundhed.dk/upload/detsvaereungdomsliv_dk.pdf

Thanks man, will read them both soon when I have the chance. Will probably be both an interesting and horrifying read though.

SniHjen posted:

25% kvinder og 6% mænd var blevet tvunget eller forsøgt tvunget til nogen form
for seksuel aktivitet som barn (under 13 år) (34).

25% women, and 6% of men, have been forced, or attempted forced, into some sort of sexual activity as a child (below 13 years) (note 34)

Other notes from here: (regarding a 2004 report) "this is an increase since 1993-94, but that is mostly because of the increased focus on the problem.
(only a few (no specific number) of the children actually talked to the police, so it is certain, that the actual numbers are much higher.)

gently caress, that's horrible. Is Denmark working on the problem or is it up to the Greenland government to work on it?

Edit: Never mind, just checked wikipedia and it said that Greenland handles those kind of matters on their own.

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 9, 2014

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

That Venice canal is hilarious.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

DrSunshine posted:

Question: Would these ridiculous "Reclaim the land from the sea"-type megaprojects be more or less expensive than just building a space colony?

The Mediterranean Sea one probably wouldn't be because the dams are short. The 450 mile long dam across the North Sea would probably be worth a moon base or two.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It would be incredibly expensive, also because places like Barcelona or Antwerp would suddenly be inland cities. Rebuilding all that infrastructure would be very costly. The Channel would also lose its function as a maritime trade route.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The Mediterranean Sea one probably wouldn't be because the dams are short. The 450 mile long dam across the North Sea would probably be worth a moon base or two.

The building costs would not be that expensive as you said, while the damage done to the coastal cities (and the entire coastline) would just be huge.

But space colonies are REALLY expensive, especially on other planets.

I vote to use the funds earmarked for the mega-dams to build a space elevator.

Edit: And in light of recent events, I don't know how Russia would take a stranding of their Black Sea Fleet in the Black Sea.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Phlegmish posted:

It would be incredibly expensive, also because places like Barcelona or Antwerp would suddenly be inland cities. Rebuilding all that infrastructure would be very costly. The Channel would also lose its function as a maritime trade route.

Yeah but a Berlin-Cape Town train!!!!!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Edit: And in light of recent events, I don't know how Russia would take a stranding of their Black Sea Fleet in the Black Sea.
In this world, giant dredging ships would carve canals right through entire countries, with fleets following them. Finally, the tyranny of strait controlling countries would be over.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

DrSunshine posted:

The point of these projects was only partly to gain more land but also to combat unemployment through massive public works programs and the generation of ridiculous amounts of cheap electricity. Space colonies wouldn't provide any of that, although would arguably be more cool than living on a soggy wasteland 700m below sea level with a pile of dead fish.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Farecoal posted:

Yeah but a Berlin-Cape Town train!!!!!

Imagine the sheer amount of negotiation that you'd need to accomplish such a feat! You'd need to coordinate the leadership of dozens of countries!

Speaking about megaprojects, it's a shame that relations between the USA and Russia have cooled recently, since it means that cooperating on the Bering strait tunnel crossing and railroad will probably be delayed.

Imagine that! Being able to take a train from Miami all the way to Lisbon! Or shipping freight by rail directly from the factories of China all the way to America!

Magnificent!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Opening up the Arctic sea routes are probably orders of magnitude cheaper and quicker than that.