Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Yeah that was a typo. The slowdown does seem to happen mostly when downloading so that might be it.

I did a reset not too long ago. It was fine for awhile but slowly got worse.

Normy fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Normy posted:

Yeah that was a typo. The slowdown does seem to happen mostly when downloading so that might be it.

I did a reset not too long ago. It was fine for awhile but slowly got worse.

If the slowdown mainly happens when you're downloading and updating apps; there's not much you can do to help that. It's normal for older Android phones to chug along while doing those.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
OTOH, it's weird and dumb that Normy can't just factory reset and upgrade to 4.3. Haven't heard of any malware that persists in a way to prohibit stock OS updates after reset, and it'd be weird for Google to just turn that option off after less than a year.

Normy, anything strange done to the phone? Rooting or hacking or whatever? My old phone (i9250 same as yours) was updated to 4.3 after that came out and I keep it around as a travel-loaner and personal-fallback. It's laggy during quarterly app updates but seems pretty functional otherwise for anything I'd want to do with a phone.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

No it's just always been like this. I had a horrible time trying to get my last set replaced by Samsung and the warranty has expired now.

I think I'll try to update it manually.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

gently caress it, at this point just wipe it and flash the factory image for 4.3.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

gently caress it, at this point just wipe it and flash the factory image for 4.3.
The correct answer, it's this.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

I'm gonna give cyanogenmod a try. Seems to have what I'm looking for.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Normy posted:

I'm gonna give cyanogenmod a try. Seems to have what I'm looking for.
As a person who owned a GSM Galaxy Nexus for two years and also has a picture of Khrushchev as my wallpaper at work, I'm telling you you'd be better off following my advice and just using Xposed/GravityBox instead.

You'll get all of the functionality in CM without any of the (many, many) drawbacks. Trust me.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

I'll look into that, thanks comrade.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society
Is Poweramp still the goon recommended music player? Or has it been dethroned?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

Is Poweramp still the goon recommended music player? Or has it been dethroned?

I'm still using it, and it still does everything I want from a music player. That's not to say there might not be newer, better alternatives; I'm happy with it so I haven't looked.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
So I just factory reset and updated my old rear end Samsung Galaxy S2 T-Mobile, and I've been using GO Launcher EX since I got the phone... but this time I'm going to try to go with Action Launcher per various recommendations I've seen in this thread about it, and it looks be pretty awesome.

So similarly to That Guy From Pearldiver's post asking if Poweramp is still the best goon recommended music player, I'd like to ask if anyone could recommend improvements or favorite alternatives to the following applications that I've been using for a while. I'm always happy to switch if something cooler comes along!

ES File Explorer - File explorer
Dialer One - Dialer alternative
AirDroid - Remove file manager over wi-fi
Akimbo Audio Book Player - Audio player made specifically for Audiobooks
CameraZoom - Camera
Flashlight - lovely free app that turns your LED into a flashlight
KeePassDroid - App to read KeePass databases (which apparently just got updated to allow editing instead of just reading)
Chrome - Web Browser
Shopping List - Create grocery shopping lists (categories, quantities, etc.)

I guess worst case scenario here is that the above is a list of apps that I actually find use in if anyone else is looking for suggestions, but are there any apps out there for the mentioned job description that are improvements over the listed app?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
What are these Xposed and GravityBox things? They don't seem to be on the Google Play, one brings up only additions and one brings up a dumb game. It sounds like they add CM functionality without needing CM. Do they need an unlocked bootloader or anything? Special ROM support?

I'm on a rooted locked BL Galaxy S4 with Action Launcher, but I miss some functions of CM from my fascinate days.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Is anyone else using Helium (premium) noticing it's not backing up on schedule? I find I still have to go in manually to initiate them.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Paramemetic posted:

What are these Xposed and GravityBox things? They don't seem to be on the Google Play, one brings up only additions and one brings up a dumb game. It sounds like they add CM functionality without needing CM. Do they need an unlocked bootloader or anything? Special ROM support?

I'm on a rooted locked BL Galaxy S4 with Action Launcher, but I miss some functions of CM from my fascinate days.

Xposed
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1574401

Gravity Box
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2316070 (for 4.3 android)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2554049 (for 4.4 android)

You need to be running pretty much stock android for it to work. Follow the instructions on the two threads to get your poo poo working.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Essobie posted:

Shopping List - Create grocery shopping lists (categories, quantities, etc.)

I guess worst case scenario here is that the above is a list of apps that I actually find use in if anyone else is looking for suggestions, but are there any apps out there for the mentioned job description that are improvements over the listed app?

For shopping lists try "Recollect"
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.recollect

You can make your list and when you go to a grocery store it'll pop up a notification with your list in it. You shouldn't forget your list as long as you look at your phone at some point in the store.

It also works for a variety of other things too. If you need a reminder to pay your bills you can set a reminder to activate when you are at home and so on.

It's been super valuable to me.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Just got a chromecast, so what's the reccomended app that'll enable me to put a picture or video from my phone onto my TV?

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Just got a chromecast, so what's the reccomended app that'll enable me to put a picture or video from my phone onto my TV?

Avia works really well, I think it was 3.99 for the full feature version with Chromecast support. Downside is videos have a hard time running it seems. A lot of buffering. I don't know if that's an app problem or a Chromecast thing.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

AllCast is pretty good.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
After I updated my Note 3 to KitKat the other day, my home button stopped working as intended when single pressed (go to default home screen) but everything else works perfectly fine (i.e. long press for multitasking). I googled around for solutions and the common one I've seen is changing Gestures and Buttons -> Home Button to "none" on Nova Launcher but that still didn't works. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

So when you're in an app and you press the home button, nothing happens? Or are you just talking about when you're looking at your home screen in Nova? If it's the latter you could try setting it to Default Screen instead of None, see if it makes a difference. Or maybe clear your Nova settings

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Disharmony posted:

After I updated my Note 3 to KitKat the other day, my home button stopped working as intended when single pressed (go to default home screen) but everything else works perfectly fine (i.e. long press for multitasking). I googled around for solutions and the common one I've seen is changing Gestures and Buttons -> Home Button to "none" on Nova Launcher but that still didn't works. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I've had a similar experience when I updated my Note 2.

A press of the home button takes 2 and 3 times before it actually responds sometimes. Not sure if that's what you're experiencing as well.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

ninmeister posted:

Avia works really well, I think it was 3.99 for the full feature version with Chromecast support. Downside is videos have a hard time running it seems. A lot of buffering. I don't know if that's an app problem or a Chromecast thing.

That doesn't sound like it works well at all.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down

baka kaba posted:

So when you're in an app and you press the home button, nothing happens? Or are you just talking about when you're looking at your home screen in Nova? If it's the latter you could try setting it to Default Screen instead of None, see if it makes a difference. Or maybe clear your Nova settings

Yes, the former. Tried that one too (that's on by default actually) and doesn't work.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm looking for a notepad widget that lets you write with a stylus straight onto it. I'm using my tablet a fair bit at work and it'd be great if I could flick to a home screen, scribble down a to-do note or something without having to open anything or type anything one-handed etc.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

kri kri posted:

That doesn't sound like it works well at all.

After rereading my response I guess not, geez. Well it works great for photos! I'm still going with it being a chromecast issue.

facile arrow
Mar 27, 2005

ninmeister posted:

I don't have any issues with buffering on avia so that may well be a network/chromecast issue. My problem with avia is the awkward media library interface. I'd switch in a second if there were a more polished alternative.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Review of today's free app on Amazon:

quote:

I think that this app was created in about 30 minutes after guzzling a six pack of beer.

Which one of you goons is developing apps?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Drunk Badger posted:

Review of today's free app on Amazon:

Which one of you goons is developing apps?

Isn't this the majority of the 'Free App(s) of the Day' on Amazon's App Store?

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009
Anyone know of any Twitter apps that worked like TweetDeck used to before they offed it? Or any Twitter apps where you can use a list-based view?

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

Priss In Plate posted:

Anyone know of any Twitter apps that worked like TweetDeck used to before they offed it? Or any Twitter apps where you can use a list-based view?

You can still look at lists in the official Twitter app, its just kinda buried.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
With a crafty work-around, Falcon Pro still works and I believe it is free.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Priss In Plate posted:

Plume is what I use. You can make columns out of lists which is how I read most of my timeline.

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009
This looks like it has what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I have tunein radio and love it. Pinky problem is that the notification shade constantly shows the app even when I close it in the multitasking tray. Can't see any options in the app as well. Any help?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Has the navigation voice suddenly gotten much louder in comparison to other sound (music, podcasts) after the TTS update, or is it just my phone?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I have tunein radio and love it. Pinky problem is that the notification shade constantly shows the app even when I close it in the multitasking tray. Can't see any options in the app as well. Any help?

Hit the stop playback button in the app? When I do that and just leave the app, it doesn't stay running or in the notification pane.

E: Actually, I don't consistently get it in the notification tray. Not sure if that happened with 4.4 or something, because I definitely remember it being in the notifications before.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 11, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Wow. So I just had to press stop. I dont know what I could have been pressing, maybe pause. Thanks dude.

ZombyWoof
Sep 7, 2012

Essobie posted:

ES File Explorer - File explorer
KeePassDroid - App to read KeePass databases (which apparently just got updated to allow editing instead of just reading)
A couple of possible suggestions here -

I have a thing for Total Commander. It's a pretty flexible and customisable file manager and while it might not have a proper holo interface, it's functionally acceptable.

I use KeePass in Linux and it's great, I did use it in Windows but I recently started importing in to Safe in Cloud and using that through my phone. I normally wouldn't have bothered but it honestly is a lovely app, I have no regrets.

Whoever asked about audio players, I used to use Poweramp but GoneMAD Music Player has been my player of choice for a while now. It handles large libraries like a champ and has every feature under the sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ZombyWoof posted:

A couple of possible suggestions here -

I have a thing for Total Commander. It's a pretty flexible and customisable file manager and while it might not have a proper holo interface, it's functionally acceptable.

I use KeePass in Linux and it's great, I did use it in Windows but I recently started importing in to Safe in Cloud and using that through my phone. I normally wouldn't have bothered but it honestly is a lovely app, I have no regrets.

Whoever asked about audio players, I used to use Poweramp but GoneMAD Music Player has been my player of choice for a while now. It handles large libraries like a champ and has every feature under the sun.
I dumped ES for Root Explorer (there is also the free Explorer that is identical without the root function) and have no regrets. It's trusted, has good support, isn't bloated (my main complaint against ES) and it's full Holo (my second complaint).

It also plays nicely with SMB shares in OSX which ES does not.

I'm a LastPass guy and have no complaints. I like not janitoring my passwords which KeePass seems to encourage.

• Locked thread