Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Let a Christian's Court Chaplain get to work. I had a really fun game where I did that with the Caliph and got the event to convert about 2 weeks after he arrived, and had no problem leveraging my long reign opinion bonus into demanding everybody converts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

The Seljuk Turks are weird. They invaded, took over one duchy, and proceeded to join the Abbasid Caliph in every single one of his wars (I was playing ironman as Byzantium, having started as a duke in Sicily), throwing 30k troops against me in the first war (in a game where I had 35k, the Abbasids had 40k), destroying my beautiful ironman empire. I saw them show up and thought 'great, finally an opportunity to pincer the Abbasid Caliphate', but the reality turned out vastly different. It's bizarre that the Seljuks prioritize helping out their most obvious conquest target over, well, conquering them. They've been around for 20-30 years and they act as a de facto vassal to the Caliph.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Allyn posted:

Let a Christian's Court Chaplain get to work. I had a really fun game where I did that with the Caliph and got the event to convert about 2 weeks after he arrived, and had no problem leveraging my long reign opinion bonus into demanding everybody converts.

Around what time do they send missionaries to you? I both want to get off of gavelkind as fast as I can, and also become Catholic to leverage their Holy Orders. I want to try and do a Russia holds off the Mongols and I'm not sure how to do it without the combination of all the holy orders.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I got plenty of Orthodox guys early on, turned down 3-4 of them. Took probably 75 years for a Caliph to send his guy though. Don't remember if I got any Catholics, actually...

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Allyn posted:

I'm not a pagan. I'm Orthodox. This is the 1066 start.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

What causes a county to not be de jure part of any empire? In what should be part of Tartaria, when I go to the map mode there are just black provinces.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

TaurusTorus posted:

What causes a county to not be de jure part of any empire? In what should be part of Tartaria, when I go to the map mode there are just black provinces.

In vanilla there shouldn't be any way for this to happen. All counties are de jure part of an empire, and while they can drift into other empires, there's no way for a province to be not de jure without either a bug, a mod, or maybe some peculiarity in an update.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

occipitallobe posted:

In vanilla there shouldn't be any way for this to happen. All counties are de jure part of an empire, and while they can drift into other empires, there's no way for a province to be not de jure without either a bug, a mod, or maybe some peculiarity in an update.

Here's the screenshot, it's 100% vanilla.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

occipitallobe posted:

The Seljuk Turks are weird. They invaded, took over one duchy, and proceeded to join the Abbasid Caliph in every single one of his wars (I was playing ironman as Byzantium, having started as a duke in Sicily), throwing 30k troops against me in the first war (in a game where I had 35k, the Abbasids had 40k), destroying my beautiful ironman empire. I saw them show up and thought 'great, finally an opportunity to pincer the Abbasid Caliphate', but the reality turned out vastly different. It's bizarre that the Seljuks prioritize helping out their most obvious conquest target over, well, conquering them. They've been around for 20-30 years and they act as a de facto vassal to the Caliph.

It's because they are sunni so they don't want to fight their caliph. If the caliphate is still strong when the Seljuks arrive you're pretty much hosed.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

occipitallobe posted:

Kingdoms could drift out of de jure empires a few patches ago. Is that still possible?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Kingdoms could drift out of de jure empires a few patches ago. Is that still possible?

Yes, but the kingdom will drift into another empire. Being independent for a hundred years will not make them a de jure part of no empire. I have no idea what to make of those black holes in the de jure empire mapmode.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Caufman posted:

Yes, but the kingdom will drift into another empire. Being independent for a hundred years will not make them a de jure part of no empire. I have no idea what to make of those black holes in the de jure empire mapmode.

I meant that kingdoms could cease to be part of any empire if the king held all the kingdom's de jure lands and was not part of any empire for 100 years.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Gort posted:

The combination of retinues and Republics is kind of obscene. I have five provinces and am fully capable of taking on Byzantium, massive Muslim nations or the Kingdom of Italy and winning handily as Amalfi.

Yeah, especially if you get decently establish (lots of trade posts), because then you can fund a few mercenary groups as well. If you min-max your retinues (right types, right commanders) it will really feel almost like cheating when you suddenly have 50k retinues/mercenaries/holy orders and are killdozing your way around during crusades.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

TaurusTorus posted:

Here's the screenshot, it's 100% vanilla.

Hate to tell you that this looks like a major bug. Is this an old game? The only thing I can think is that it's possibly related to downloading DLC or being around for an update while already mid-game. I remember when the first DLC and patch came out it gave me an unusable black spot like that in Italy thanks to a new province being added to my existing game.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Mar 9, 2014

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Is it possible to change the names of empires? I'm doing my first ironman game and I don't particularly want to be the Wendish empire.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Is it possible to change the names of empires? I'm doing my first ironman game and I don't particularly want to be the Wendish empire.

Yes, but its DLC.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
How good is the Italian cultural retinue? My retinue cap right now is 3700 so I've been making a mixed army of arches and heavy infantry (2500 all told) but should I just have 3 stacks of pikes instead?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

MrBling posted:

How good is the Italian cultural retinue? My retinue cap right now is 3700 so I've been making a mixed army of arches and heavy infantry (2500 all told) but should I just have 3 stacks of pikes instead?

If your general are of Italian (or Scottish) culture then they are quite strong. But in the early game you will probably profit more from siege bonus that archers have, while pikes are rather bad at sieging.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Those black holes on the de jure empire mapmode are because some of the duchies of Tartaria have instead drifted out of Cumania and into (what was) a titular kingdom. Khazaria maybe? And Khazaria has no de jure empire set, hence that mapmode showing empty space.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Anticheese posted:

Yes, but its DLC.

Which one? I think I have them all.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Which one? I think I have them all.

Customisation Pack. If you have it (and are running it), click the coat of arms for the title and there's a little button near the name of it. You can only do it for titles you hold.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Is there a clever way for me to get back the bits of Italy that Lotharingia somehow grabbed? Other than waiting for them to revolt, I mean.
I almost had the duchy of Ferrara in a holy war (they briefly turned Fraticelli and started an independence revolt) but Lotharingia brought a 12k doomstack to the party and I had to peace out.

The muslims have started jihad'ing so I'm hopeful they will weaken the Byzantines to the point where I can start kicking them out of Italy. Amalfi was independent for the longest time but I guess they figured they would be safer wearing purple.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Ferrara/Susa are part of your de jure realm, so you can push anyone's claim on the duchy and they will become your vassal if you win. No need to wait for a heretic to pop up as duke. As for actually winning... your best bet is just to keep trying to stab Lotharingian kings to give it a shot again. Alternatively, keep a close eye on whether Lotharingia gets into a war against multiple other Karlings so they can't all gang up on you. (Not to mention being at war on another front will keep them distracted in the meantime.)

As for preparing for it, expelling the jews will put you up to 350 gold, 650 if you don't already have the loan. I dunno what your levies are like, but 500 gold's worth of mercs would probably set you well for being able to beat their doomstack.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Allyn posted:

Customisation Pack. If you have it (and are running it), click the coat of arms for the title and there's a little button near the name of it. You can only do it for titles you hold.

Does anyone know if this carries over into EUIV with the converter? Like if I have a game where I form Britannia as the Irish and rename it the Irish Empire with the Customization Pack and then convert it into EUIV, will it be called the Irish Empire in that game as well, or will it just default to being Great Britain as usual?

Also, all my DLC worked again after deleting and reinstalling the game and then rebooting the computer, so thank you to both of you that helped me with that last night :)

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I believe it carries over whatever name you give it. The converter creates a mod file, though, so even if it doesn't it's not too difficult to fix it. (Plus at the same time you can give your hypothetical Irish Empire the Irish idea group, which it almost certainly won't get automatically.)

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Another succession war and once again a vassal with a good relation (55) has been called into the rebellion after it started by a vassal they aren't related or allied to. Why and how is this happening?

E: also they are only 14 and I am their guardian so shouldn't I be able to imprison them for rebelling? They are still resident in my court.

E2: she just called my heir into a succession war to make a distant cousin king.

a pipe smoking dog fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 9, 2014

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

Is there something I can do about obscene numbers of religious revolts? It seems like I'm always juggling two or three (the 6th revolt started after I unpaused for a screencap, as did a 2nd Sunni one). I have my religious councillor converting provinces but it's so drat slow and maybe 15% of my territory is actually Jewish. The Khazar start is already a pain without this constant uprising demanding at least 4k troops to stomp them back down.

Edit: Also I've had three kings die before 30 and leave behind sons under 6. The path to the Kingdom of Israel is hard.

Zhaan fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 9, 2014

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Concentrate on getting rulers of the correct religion in place, they'll convert their own holdings and they're better at it than you are. Otherwise just get your Moral Authority up.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

CapnAndy posted:

Concentrate on getting rulers of the correct religion in place, they'll convert their own holdings and they're better at it than you are. Otherwise just get your Moral Authority up.

I just went through my entire court and vassal list and only one mayor wasn't Jewish already, since I've been on the ball about making sure there's no non-Jewish folks in power. I win holy wars fairly regularly against the pagans, but there are Muslim and Byzantine blobs over the holy sites, so moral authority hasn't been going over 30-35.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Zhaan posted:

Is there something I can do about obscene numbers of religious revolts? It seems like I'm always juggling two or three (the 6th revolt started after I unpaused for a screencap, as did a 2nd Sunni one). I have my religious councillor converting provinces but it's so drat slow and maybe 15% of my territory is actually Jewish. The Khazar start is already a pain without this constant uprising demanding at least 4k troops to stomp them back down.

Edit: Also I've had three kings die before 30 and leave behind sons under 6. The path to the Kingdom of Israel is hard.

5th uprising? Pfft. Starting as Ivar the Boneless and creating the Empire of Britannia I think I went through over 30 Catholic uprisings throughout my game as I conquered half the map until my heirs died out due to some extreme misfortunes.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Update: my heir succeeded in deposing himself before dying childless of a cold. Now his sisters imbecilic son is the last remaining vestige of the senior branch of my house. The cadet branch in the meantime has let our borders be overrun by pagans and apparently didn't understand why I was supporting the Byzantine Empire so the Caliphate has now conquered Greece and is moving rapidly into Bulgaria, Croatia, and Italy.

Hopefully I'll manage to regain the throne before Catholicism is wiped out but I'm not all that hopefull.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The worst is cross culture revolts and religious revolts. It's loving incessant. Once you crush a revolt it should have a 5-10 year timer before the next one is possible. Of course being an Emperor you have to take care of it yourself because your deadbeat Kings and Dukes wont.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

YouTuber posted:

The worst is cross culture revolts and religious revolts. It's loving incessant. Once you crush a revolt it should have a 5-10 year timer before the next one is possible. Of course being an Emperor you have to take care of it yourself because your deadbeat Kings and Dukes wont.

Yeah, it's really dumb, and should be something patched in. Listen, Douxbag Ionnes, you were given this land decades ago and your troop count is full. You aren't the frontier that can't support itself yet, do your own vassals a loving favor and kill these rebels. Jackass.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Node posted:

5th uprising? Pfft. Starting as Ivar the Boneless and creating the Empire of Britannia I think I went through over 30 Catholic uprisings throughout my game as I conquered half the map until my heirs died out due to some extreme misfortunes.

Had so many of those that they literally stopped being numbered. That said, it is slowing down now that Catolicism is almost irradicated in my game, so i only have to deal with the 20th Orthodox or Sunni rebellion :smith:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

YouTuber posted:

They won't really go out of their way to take care of it, but revolts take forever to get an empire to -100% warscore, and in the meantime they're hostile to everyone and the AI doesn't seem to bother navigating around rebel armies. So if you have a big enough empire with big enough vassals, you can leave a religious revolt alone for a few years and there's a pretty good chance one of your vassals will accidentally ram an army into them during a war with another one of your vassals. It's shocking how many revolts get crushed without me even bothering to look for the rebel army because the Duke of Something went to war with the King of Somewhere and a bunch of rebels happened to get caught right in the middle. And in the meantime you're getting the sweet "Defending from Foreigners" bonus with all your vassals.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Main Paineframe posted:

And in the meantime you're getting the sweet "Defending from Foreigners" bonus with all your vassals.

I leave rebels up as long as possible when I am a new ruler and have a short reign penalty to prevent revolts, or to easily push through a vote. It's pretty much cheating and it really needs to be fixed. I understand they did that so if your entire realm is under threat, you can raise your full levy and defend it, since even the vassals that hate you know that if the realm is invaded, they're hosed.

But it should be some hidden mechanic that dampens people joining factions and raises your levy count, instead of a straight up 50 or 75 opinion modifier. And that mechanic should erode over time, so you can't keep the rebels alive and not have to worry about factions. It's so god drat abusive.

Maybe the "Defending against foreigners/infidels" should tick down every certain period of time until it reaches zero.

Node fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Mar 10, 2014

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
My ruler was just executed by his wife. He wasn't a captive and she wasn't a landholder. Don't think I've run into this before...

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

They're here! :staredog:

:smugdog:

You don't want to see the bill to replenish the cataphract legion though.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

Once I got an emperor who lived over 30, the spread seemed to go a lot better. This guy's father had 8k piety before he finally kicked it in his 70s.

I'm not sure how to do anything about the Byzantine Empire swiping duchies off me though (they've taken three so far). They have 30k troops and I can muster 15k with levies and gold for mercs. The one time I tried to fight them, a 20k deathstack appeared right on my border and sieged down three provinces before I could move troops from my capital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

monster on a stick posted:

They're here! :staredog:

:smugdog:

You don't want to see the bill to replenish the cataphract legion though.

B-but my historicity! :qq:

• Locked thread