Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Boxman posted:

Lightning Bolt to the dome against Twin! It's like you're getting out of church with your family and some dude just walks up and smacks your kid!

The best metaphor I have ever heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Commentary has been so much better than wotc events, man. I especially liked the 3 squadron hawks siding down to 2 games 2 & 3.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

Gr Tron, since it's what I've been playing for 7 months.

How did your decklist change with the recent unbannings? and/or post that decklist, I'm curious to see how GR tron is handling the new aggro heavy meta

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So as a person who wants to get into Modern, I have two decks of choice I'm looking at; a variant of Pod, maybe Kiki Pod, or Fish.

How would I go about building up those decks through trades? Would I just win as many packs as possible in my standard tournaments, and then cash in my winnings and build up for those Fetches, and buy all the cheap 1-2 dollar stuff?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I want them to print a bunch of merfolk lords with Flash so that there can be a deck called "Go Fish".

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Watching some of the replay and Hunt said, "Jitaxian Probe." Please tell me this is not how it is pronounced.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

oryx posted:

Watching some of the replay and Hunt said, "Jitaxian Probe." Please tell me this is not how it is pronounced.

Not as bad as all the people who say "pie-thing needle".

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

oryx posted:

Never trust any of his pronunciations, more than likely it's the opposite of how he says it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I usually pronounce it "Gih-ta-zign"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Boxn posted:

Never trust any of his pronunciations, more than likely it's the opposite of how he says it.

I'm almost convinced it's deliberate at this point.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Since the dude's name is Jin Gitaxias, it would be weird if the "Gi" is pronounced the same as the "Ji" in his first name. It's pronounced a hard G, like Gum.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Had a pretty fun night at a Standard kinda ruined by the last round I had to play. I went 3-1 playing Maze's End, losing only to Mono-Black. I had never been to that store before, and had never actually played the in US before. Because I play in Taiwan, My Maze's End deck uses alot of non-English cards (mostly Chinese and Japanese, but there is at least one-English copy of everything in my deck besides sideboard Turn/Burn.) In the previous rounds no one really said anything about them besides asking where I got them. During the top 8, I play a guy who is playing an all foiled-out Jund deck. I'm making a little chit-chat about how I hope he plays a fast deck because I need to leave soon (I didn't think I was going to win, most of my games were slow crawls to close victories and I knew he was playing aggro.) He steamrolls me game 1, but got grumpy when I played a 2nd Maze's End, trying to tell me that it was Legendary (when everyone else in the store told him it wasn't, he started getting mopey.) We sideboard me for game two. He was playing very slow, and I figured he was gonna beat me again quickly the next game. He sideboards in Pithing Needle (drops 2 naming Maze and Jace) hits 2 Slaughter Games (taking all my verdicts.) When playing the Slaughter games he writes down my entire deck, making comments about how my cards are in "Oriental" and that when playing in America, "we use English cards here :smug:" Through lucky top decks of my artifact removal, I somehow pull the win out of my rear end when he can't get through my fogs. I breathe out a sigh of relief, and tell him that it was the luckiest game of my life. He then gets really huffy at me, saying "it wasn't luck, I made mistakes and should have won." Game 3 he hits Pithing Needles and Slaughter Games again for my Verdicts and D-Spheres this time (which, considering 2 games in a row, he hit both Slaughter Games turns 4 and 5, when I didn't shuffle his deck, did put me off a little.) but this game went by much quicker when I had him in complete fog-lockdown. I put the last gate down, and extend my hand, and get cold-shouldered, and get more flack for my non-English cards (even though in all three games I told him exactly what each cards did every time I played him.) I then rush out the store because my brother was waiting in the parking lot for an extra hour because I didn't expect this match to go on this long and needed a jump (which another player graciously helped us with.) I tell the owner to give the store credit I won to the guy whom I beat and then leave. Am I the rear end in a top hat for not conceding when I was going to leave no matter what next round? I saw other people playing with non-English cards today (granted not at the percentage I was) so it is considered bad to play with so many Non-English cards?

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
You're an rear end in a top hat for giving your store credit to that douchebag, thus letting him believe that his behavior was even vaguely acceptable. Otherwise it sounds like you're a perfect gentleman.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
^^^ This too, don't give the store credit to some shithead, give it to a new person or something.

I don't know man, if you had to go, just bounce, it's what I do no matter what, I don't want to keep my sister waiting. On the topic of foreign cards, he's just a oval office, foreign ones are really cool, no matter the language. I guess he reacted that way because he doesn't know a lot of the cards or something. It shouldn't be bad form to run foreign cards at all.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

No that guy was an rear end in a top hat. You should definitely not have given him the store credit.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Condensing that mess of run on sentences:

Wizards are bad at Greek.

This is sort of OK because they're not quite writing Greek. On account of them somewhat understanding that they're bad at it.

They should still be clearer about them not quite writing Greek, because they are really bad at it and not owning up encourages people to try to apply rules which they don't want applying.

If you'd like to pronounce the 'Nyk' of Nykthos roughly Ancient Greekly, the y is a bit further back in the throat than you'd naturally pronounce 'Nyk' in English. (Explaining the 'thos' part would make this post long and confusing again so I won't.)

The Wizards pronunciation for Polukranos is the one that upsets BaronVonVaderham.

I'll be clear here - I love reading your posts, and I'd like to read more of them!
As for Magic pronunciation - Since my first language is Bulgarian, which is phonetic and rather hard I find that more often than not, if you pronounce an obscure or made up Magic card name as if in Bulgarian you tend to get it right more often than not,

Monsieur Mango
Apr 29, 2009
Angry uneducated white person

Nope. But you definitely acted the stereotypical Asian with no back bone. Have some balls next time and tell a guy that he's a shithead when he's being one.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Mortimer posted:

How did your decklist change with the recent unbannings? and/or post that decklist, I'm curious to see how GR tron is handling the new aggro heavy meta

2 Spellskite main, down to 2-2 Pyroclasm main-side split, and me begrudgingly adding 2 All is Dust main (i.e. 5 combined permanents sweepers). I haven't played against any Zoo though.

gently caress Daylight Savings time. My hotel's wake up call system bugged and called me at 3:00 am when it switched.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

There was a guy wearing a tricorn hat at the GP yesterday. Oddly, whenever I saw him throughout the day I never saw him with friends.

Fedora report from day 1: only saw ~20. The fedora concentration is much less than the Pokemon video game regionals my friend and I went to. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'm going to agree and say you shouldn't have given him the store credit. It's not like mazes end plays really crazy cards. The guildgates shouldn't need explanation, nor should verdict or sphere. The fogs shouldn't need much either unless someone doesn't know that fog prevents all combat damage (including to planeswalkers) or that riot control affects all damage to you including burns. Assuming 27 land 16 fog and playsets of the UW control staples that's almost your entire deck that should be pretty self explanatory.

Entropic posted:

I want them to print a bunch of merfolk lords with Flash so that there can be a deck called "Go Fish".
Isn't that what aether vial is for?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Monsieur Mango posted:

Nope. But you definitely acted the stereotypical Asian with no back bone. Have some balls next time and tell a guy that he's a shithead when he's being one.

But...I'm white?

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IPKL1Oy-CA

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

GoutPatrol posted:

Had a pretty fun night at a Standard kinda ruined by the last round I had to play. I went 3-1 playing Maze's End, losing only to Mono-Black. I had never been to that store before, and had never actually played the in US before. Because I play in Taiwan, My Maze's End deck uses alot of non-English cards (mostly Chinese and Japanese, but there is at least one-English copy of everything in my deck besides sideboard Turn/Burn.) In the previous rounds no one really said anything about them besides asking where I got them. During the top 8, I play a guy who is playing an all foiled-out Jund deck. I'm making a little chit-chat about how I hope he plays a fast deck because I need to leave soon (I didn't think I was going to win, most of my games were slow crawls to close victories and I knew he was playing aggro.) He steamrolls me game 1, but got grumpy when I played a 2nd Maze's End, trying to tell me that it was Legendary (when everyone else in the store told him it wasn't, he started getting mopey.) We sideboard me for game two. He was playing very slow, and I figured he was gonna beat me again quickly the next game. He sideboards in Pithing Needle (drops 2 naming Maze and Jace) hits 2 Slaughter Games (taking all my verdicts.) When playing the Slaughter games he writes down my entire deck, making comments about how my cards are in "Oriental" and that when playing in America, "we use English cards here :smug:" Through lucky top decks of my artifact removal, I somehow pull the win out of my rear end when he can't get through my fogs. I breathe out a sigh of relief, and tell him that it was the luckiest game of my life. He then gets really huffy at me, saying "it wasn't luck, I made mistakes and should have won." Game 3 he hits Pithing Needles and Slaughter Games again for my Verdicts and D-Spheres this time (which, considering 2 games in a row, he hit both Slaughter Games turns 4 and 5, when I didn't shuffle his deck, did put me off a little.) but this game went by much quicker when I had him in complete fog-lockdown. I put the last gate down, and extend my hand, and get cold-shouldered, and get more flack for my non-English cards (even though in all three games I told him exactly what each cards did every time I played him.) I then rush out the store because my brother was waiting in the parking lot for an extra hour because I didn't expect this match to go on this long and needed a jump (which another player graciously helped us with.) I tell the owner to give the store credit I won to the guy whom I beat and then leave. Am I the rear end in a top hat for not conceding when I was going to leave no matter what next round? I saw other people playing with non-English cards today (granted not at the percentage I was) so it is considered bad to play with so many Non-English cards?

Holy poo poo. Why do you think you did anything wrong here?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

GoutPatrol posted:

Do you know what your cards do?

Should your opponent probably know what Maze's End decks do, and that the majority of the deck is literally the same land with different colors attached and standard staples plus Maze's End?

If the answer is yes, then congratulations, you did nothing wrong!

Some people love to be the stereotypical USA USA USA fuckwagons who think every other country owes us for winning World War 2 "single handedly".

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

GoutPatrol posted:

Am I the rear end in a top hat for not conceding when I was going to leave no matter what next round? I saw other people playing with non-English cards today (granted not at the percentage I was) so it is considered bad to play with so many Non-English cards?

You're not an rear end in a top hat. You played until the turn you wanted. And playing with non-English is definitely okay.

However, it might be a good idea to have the Oracle text for your cards readily available. I'd recommend MTG Familiar if you have a smartphone, or even just an English copy of a couple of them (Maze's End, Fog, D-Sphere) to avoid any sort of similar issue. Also, if your opponent (or anyone really) was offensive to you as a person (you mention 'Oriental' comments), you should have informed a Judge. Personally, if he had been an rear end already, I would have called one about him noting your entire deck, citing Slow Play. :v:

And, yes, you definitely shouldn't have given him your credit.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Monsieur Mango posted:

What the gently caress

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Serperoth posted:

You're not an rear end in a top hat. You played until the turn you wanted. And playing with non-English is definitely okay.

However, it might be a good idea to have the Oracle text for your cards readily available. I'd recommend MTG Familiar if you have a smartphone, or even just an English copy of a couple of them (Maze's End, Fog, D-Sphere) to avoid any sort of similar issue. Also, if your opponent (or anyone really) was offensive to you as a person (you mention 'Oriental' comments), you should have informed a Judge. Personally, if he had been an rear end already, I would have called one about him noting your entire deck, citing Slow Play. :v:

And, yes, you definitely shouldn't have given him your credit.

He said there was at least an English copy of everything. On Android there is also the MTGJudge app if you want the comprehensive rules, MTR, IPG, and JAR.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

The proper response to someone (especially someone with an all foil deck in the top 8 of anything) complains about foreign language cards is to call a judge, then loudly explain how your opponent would like the oracle text for Golgari Guildgate or whatever. Do this every time they ask / complain.

Also call a judge any time someone tries to write your entire decklist while they search your library. This is specifically disallowed by the rules. Speaking of that being a racist rear end in a top hat is ALSO specifically disallowed too.

In short you were way nicer than I would have been, and I don't think you did anything wrong.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

oryx posted:

Phyrexian names cannot be properly spoken by our imperfect flesh. Any pronunciation we hear is wrong. :black101:

Boring
Nov 29, 2004

nuhhh
TIL you could Pithing Needle Maze's End

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

kirtar posted:

He said there was at least an English copy of everything. On Android there is also the MTGJudge app if you want the comprehensive rules, MTR, IPG, and JAR.

I know that, I was referring to a copy outside of the deck, for reference. MTGJudge seems like a better app than MTG Familiar, I'll be downloading that. Thank you.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Merfolk is the remaining undefeated deck... :allears:

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Merfolk reigns on top as the only undefeated deck at 12-0 going into the next round. Defeats BG Rock fairly handily, although Rock never got an Obliterator out.

Err... now they're saying 3 undefeated. So one more round till we get the real King of the Hill.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Pinwiz11 posted:

Merfolk is the remaining undefeated deck... :allears:

and scapeshift!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Scapeshift is so dead...

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

TenjouUtena posted:

The proper response to someone (especially someone with an all foil deck in the top 8 of anything) complains about foreign language cards is to call a judge, then loudly explain how your opponent would like the oracle text for Golgari Guildgate or whatever. Do this every time they ask / complain.

Also call a judge any time someone tries to write your entire decklist while they search your library. This is specifically disallowed by the rules. Speaking of that being a racist rear end in a top hat is ALSO specifically disallowed too.

In short you were way nicer than I would have been, and I don't think you did anything wrong.

I don't know what REL this was at, but if it was competitive, definitely call a judge if your opponent writes your deck down as that is an example given in the IPG for slow play or USC Stalling depending on whether the judge thinks he is trying to take advantage of the time limit. Even at regular such slow play is under unwanted behaviors.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Serperoth posted:

I know that, I was referring to a copy outside of the deck, for reference. MTGJudge seems like a better app than MTG Familiar, I'll be downloading that. Thank you.

It is depends on what you're using it for. I like MTG familiar as an all in one app (the trade functionality is nice), but I use mtgjudge whenever I'm checking oracle text or the rules.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

kirtar posted:

It is depends on what you're using it for. I like MTG familiar as an all in one app (the trade functionality is nice), but I use mtgjudge whenever I'm checking oracle text or the rules.

On iPhone MTGGUide is a handy all in one. Full comp rules, and card lookup will link to relevant rules.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Ok the King of the Hill match will be Scapeshift vs Merfolk. My impressions of Scapeshift is that if its doing well it ran really hot or someone has figured out the perfect mix of interactive cards for the meta. Merfolk is just going to vial in as many lords as fast as possible, maybe hold up mana for counterspells about when scapeshift can go off if it even lasts that long.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Merfolk kept two really awful hands. :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Did anyone catch the whole list of the scapeshift deck they just did the decktech on?

• Locked thread