Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
It sadly was and blew coolant right on to the coil pack. Picked up a replacement and oil filter today, installed the tank this evening and they sold me the wrong f'ing filter. Oh well, tossed the ~3k old one back in until tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
According to my wife, I do stupid things.

Like this:

$100 craigslist Ingersoll Rand SS-5 from ~2002. The motor was burnt up and the pressure switch is missing- but the pump looks great. It appears this is before the terrible smaller SS5 pumps that fail constantly. This is rated for 18.1CFM @90psi and 15CFM continuous. I already have a 5hp Champion horizontal 80gal, but I like the smaller vertical footprint of this compressor. I also happen to have a IR T30 pump and 5hp Baldor motor, so I might just use the tank. Franken compressor time :D.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 4, 2014

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Man that tank is worth more than 100$. I'm guessing it's got a little relay panel to go with it?

Jealous, I wish I could find something like that for a hundred bux.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man, nice tank. I'm jealous of your ability to get cheap shop gear, and more jealous of having places to put it.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
So this is how this is going to work-
I'm going to divorce my wife.
You're going to divorce your wife.
Then we can be together, forever, happy...
happy...

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

the spyder posted:

$100 craigslist Ingersoll Rand SS-5 from ~2002. The motor was burnt up and the pressure switch is missing- but the pump looks great. It appears this is before the terrible smaller SS5 pumps that fail constantly. This is rated for 18.1CFM @90psi and 15CFM continuous. I already have a 5hp Champion horizontal 80gal, but I like the smaller vertical footprint of this compressor. I also happen to have a IR T30 pump and 5hp Baldor motor, so I might just use the tank. Franken compressor time :D.

My father in law had a crazy setup with a fast 5hp motor with a small tank bonded to some sort of lopey slow motor with a huge tank that spun at 500rpm and sounded like a steam locomotive. It was bizarre but it worked really well. If it dropped below 100psi the fast motor would compensate, otherwise the slow one would clunka clunka clunka away keeping things in check.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

TheFonz posted:

happy...

Until you're asked to find a vacuum leak, or replace an oil pan gasket lol.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

TheFonz posted:

happy...

Forever and ever and ever…..

You tell your wife first, I'll be waiting.

(loooooooooool)

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
:j: "You want to marry some car guy from the internet? Is he at least cute?"

She asks the tough ones folks. She did like "The white one" when I showed her the RX-7s.(Racist)

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

the spyder posted:

The black FD in the pictures is going to be in my nightmares this week. It came back for some simple things, the owner was not happy with how his local shop installed the fuel system. I started to tear in to it yesterday and god.drat.it. Someone T'd the map sensor line for a boost controller, mounted a HKS twin power with velcro, let AN lines rub through the TPS sensor plug wires, did not mount the fuel pressure regulator, and stripped out two bolts on the oil pan trying to "fix" a leak. It's the last part that kills me- the motor pretty much has to come out to fix it. :shepicide:

I bill customers punitively for stuff like this. If another shop messed it up, there's no estimate for the repair - it's $100 x however many hours it takes me to make things right.

Savington fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 5, 2014

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Savington posted:

I bill customers punitively for stuff like this. If another shop messed it up, there's no estimate for the repair - it's $100 x however many hours it takes me to make things right.

I'm trying to work this out with the customer now. His couple hundred in easy things is turning in to $1200 in labor/work.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I can't afford it, but... http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/4360601842.html Please, tell me someone somewhere is going to be very happy.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I can't afford it, but... http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/4360601842.html Please, tell me someone somewhere is going to be very happy.

That's beautiful and that interior is to die for here in the southwest. I think I'm going to be buying a car from the pnw next as I'm sick of sun burnt cars.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
It's pretty. If I had $1000 spare, I'd buy it.

Shop news: I'm lazy as gently caress!

Unrelated news: Tool update- I've been running a pair of 3/8th's and 1/2" Ingersoll Rand cordless 19.2v impacts the last two years and the 3/8th's finally died. I took it to our local service depot and warrantied it, turned out to be just the switch. I also grabbed a pressure switch, belt, and compressor oil for the IR SS5. Just in time for my 30gal Husky to poo poo it's pressure switch. Great. $30 + $15 in oil/drain plug I've needed to replace for... 6 years and it will be back in service. Since I don't have enough projects, I emailed on a Saylor Bell 60Gal compressor with a bad motor. It's pretty and bluuuueeee.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
If you ever want race time, all I need is a little motor help. Lots of exciting races coming up this year. I'll win you over at some point :).

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

That is all.

(So who wants to start taking bets on how my wife is going to murder me?)

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

When your wife kills you I'm taking the Exocet.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

If your Exocet is getting a turbo 13b, you'll be able to give Revelations a run for his money with his locost.

Shine on you crazy magnificent bastard.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Eventually AI will liberate themselves from all material attachments except for the bare exoskeleton of a semi-lethal hot rod.

We will, all of us, be trapped at a gas station for hours while we answer the half-terrified questions of normals, who pay their bills, go to church, love their children and feature no spark of the horrible yearning tearing at our core.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Eventually AI will liberate themselves from all material attachments except for the bare exoskeleton of a semi-lethal hot rod.

We will, all of us, be trapped at a gas station for hours while we answer the half-terrified questions of normals, who pay their bills, go to church, love their children and feature no spark of the horrible yearning tearing at our core.

I'm halfway there with my doorless Jeep. I would drive the poo poo out of an overpowered Cobra replica, or something that's even more "just engine and wheels", like an Ariel Atom.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
So that's two Exocets in AI so far, Holdbrooks and you, plus the 4-wheeled cruise missile Revelations is building. I assume Holdbrooks is going to use the engine (chevy 4.8/5.3?) and turbo that was going into the Boso truck and Revelations is building that LS motor for his.

My vote is for a 20b-powered Exocet. :getin:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pretty sure he's using the Miata that got wrecked by wet leaves for the exocet.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I hereby nominate ssswitch to official poet of AI. His words are a beacon of hope shining from the permanent darkness of the frozen north.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
You got some purty words there Seat Safety Switch.

Ultimate Force needs to get back to a Locust and things will really be in a lather.

AI: The Horrible Yearning

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

ACEofsnett posted:

I hereby nominate ssswitch to official poet of AI. His words are a beacon of hope shining from the permanent darkness of the frozen north.

Seriously, I could read his prose about broken dreams and metal all day.

When everybody gets their respective ballistic bird-cages finished they should have a competition.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

leica posted:

Pretty sure he's using the Miata that got wrecked by wet leaves for the exocet.

It's going to be a combo. The replacement Miata is currently drinking a quart of oil per tank of gas on a "fresh" rebuild by the PO. What ends up powering this beast is a mystery, even to me ATM. I have a S5 NA block and a 13bREW sitting in the shop...

the spyder fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 20, 2014

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

the spyder posted:

It's going to be a combo. The replacement Miata is currently drinking a quart per tank of gas on a "fresh" rebuild by the PO. What ends up powering this beast is a mystery, even to me ATM. I have a S5 NA block and a 13bREW sitting in the shop...

13B-REW, there is no other option. Unless you want us Canadians to try and find you a wrecked 20B Cosmo. ( I might know a guy. )

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I would 100% toss a NA A or B series 20B in here with monster porting if I could find one. C or D series would end up turbo'd :D.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
The $100 Ingersoll Rand has turned in to a $200 compressor, but it's alive.

I ended up using a 5hp Baldor motor I had, but had to buy a pressure switch/oil/belt/pulley. Can't decide if I want to keep it or send it north to my dad's. We shall see.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Throw that s5 my way then you don't have an awful choice to make and the kit can end up with the turbo build like it should. ;). What are friends for.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Update: I've been offered a Mazdaspeed3 engine, complete with manifolds/turbo/wiring/ECU to toss in the Exocet + what ever other parts I would need for free. Sooo 263hp vs 140hp sounds like fun. Then again, there's always the comedy rotary option- but that's a rather PITA. I need to do more research.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

That sounds more like death than fun.

...do it anyway.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Free engine? What a terrible decision to have to make.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
And now the wait begins, I ordered mine in December and I am still waiting on my invoice for final costs with powder coating. last time I talked to them I was supposed to get the invoice like 6 weeks ago and a call at the end of March to arrange the pickup or delivery. a lot of people are starting to get pissed due to lack of communication.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
14-16 weeks is starting to sound like more like 20-30. I'm still waiting for a phone call :(.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

the spyder posted:

14-16 weeks is starting to sound like more like 20-30. I'm still waiting for a phone call :(.

Sounds about right las time I actually got ahold of them a while back I was 19th in line and they admitted to being at leas a month behind.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
There's a new Miata based kit car called the Catfish, Flyin Miata is building one right now.

http://bauerltd.com

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

There's a new Miata based kit car called the Catfish, Flyin Miata is building one right now.

http://bauerltd.com

That thing is uggo, might as well just keep a stock miata body at that point.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Yea, that's a bit too much for me. I really like the bare look of a lowcost/exocet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
So I'm unofficially looking at a 20+ week wait right now (waiting on confirmation).
I can do two things:
1) Wait it out and work on the 1000 other projects I need to do, build the car over the winter for next year.
2) Comedy option: Buy the tubing bender I have always wanted and build my own. This requires :effort: and time. Sooo option 1 it is. (I'm still buying the tubing bender, don't tell the wife. :D)