Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

I've heard of this movie and I want to watch it, but I also don't want anyone to see it in my "Recently Watched" queue...

I'll second the recommendation of Bee Girls. And by "recommendation", I mean it's entertainingly bad schlock.

ha netflix really needs a history clear button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Franchescanado posted:

I'm assuming you'll eventually think to watch Nude Nuns With Big Guns and, whatever you do, DON'T... It's shot well enough, it's stylish and competent, but the fun premise is ruined by copious rape scenes, cruelty, and it just comes off as hateful.

This is sound advice but I don't grant the style or competence. It's aping some weird amalgam of Tarantino, Ritchie, and Tony Scott and the editing is so haphazard I often had no idea who was speaking to whom or where they were in relation to each other.

etalian posted:

ha netflix really needs a history clear button

Embrace your inner sleaze fan.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
Archer Season 4 is now up.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Neo Helbeast posted:

I recently finished watching Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and outside of some cg stuff in the first and second season that show holds way better than it should. Kevin Sorbo and Michael Hurst really seem like BFFs in the show and I wouldn't be surprised if they really were friends outside of the show and every episode really did feel like an adventure. I'm about to start Xena and I have the distinct feeling it will be nowhere near as good.

I do seem to think that Herc did 'humor' and 'clipshow' episodes better, though, from what I recall. However, Xena has The Bitter Suite which is really good and was innovative for the time, but it's sort of faded from peoples' memories when compared to the continued popularity of Whedon's musical stuff and other shows since that have done musical number episodes. Also, it had a fun 1930s Indiana Jones-styled episode.

Xena seems to be the more respected of the two, though.

There was a lot of crossover back when they both on the air, it was sort of like getting a proto-Marvel Studios cameo a few times a season on their respective shows.

When you're done, you might want to give the Young Herc show a gamble if it's available. I don't recall too much of it, but it wasn't horrible from what I remember and what little I saw.

(edit: I was just thinking, "the kid that played Teen Herc looked something like Ryan Gosling." Turns out he didn't. It WAS Ryan Gosling.)

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I'm about 10 episodes into The Twilight Zone and it mostly owns, but some of the episodes definitely feel like they'd work just as well as like a two page short story.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I'm about 10 episodes into The Twilight Zone and it mostly owns, but some of the episodes definitely feel like they'd work just as well as like a two page short story.

Most of the episodes probably originated as short stories in the pulp magazines of the day, so that makes a certain kind of sense.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The excellent Robert Reich documentary "Inequality For All" is now available on Netflix streaming.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

You're going to hate season 4 then (or at least you would if it were on Netflix; Hulu's got it, though). They started stretching them out to fill an hour-long time slot, and it really shows; apparently even the writers hated it. They go back to the original format in season 5, though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I'm halfway through a movie called LIFE 2.0 about people who play Second Life. I've watched a ton of documentaries about weird nerd subcultures and this is by far the most pathetic I have ever seen. I almost feel bad watching these people with such blatant mental illnesses and other issues. This grown man who was playing an 11 year old girl avatar in Second Life just deleted his account because he couldn't not play for like 16 hours a day and this cat furry dressed as a pirate gave a farewell speech.

I hope you made it to the end of his story. It took him from "loving loser pedo furry" to "oh god I feel so sorry for this broken man".

Actually it may be the most depressing documentary I've seen in a long time overall, because the ending of the sexed up middle aged adulterers was just sad too.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?
I just watched Glenngary Glen Ross and although it's a bit slow, it's a great showcase of acting talent. Pacino and Jack Lemmon are spectacular. Keep in mind that it was based on a play and it's pretty much all dialogue.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Namirsolo posted:

I just watched Glenngary Glen Ross and although it's a bit slow, it's a great showcase of acting talent. Pacino and Jack Lemmon are spectacular. Keep in mind that it was based on a play and it's pretty much all dialogue.

I've tried so many times to like this film, it's had nothing but high praise and its cast contains almost all of my favourite actors, but I still haven't made it past thirty minutes or so.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I've tried so many times to like this film, it's had nothing but high praise and its cast contains almost all of my favourite actors, but I still haven't made it past thirty minutes or so.

Well that movie is for closers only.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Paper Kaiju posted:

You're going to hate season 4 then (or at least you would if it were on Netflix; Hulu's got it, though). They started stretching them out to fill an hour-long time slot, and it really shows; apparently even the writers hated it. They go back to the original format in season 5, though.

Holy poo poo it was nothing but the first two seasons for the longest time. Yes!

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I'm looking for some recommendations. I've been on a Segal-ian thriller kick, watching a bunch of movies about dudes who have secret pasts and they're not saying they were in black ops... but they were in black ops. (And now they have to be a badass because terrible thing happened/person got kidnapped).

This has involved most of the Jason Statham movies on there, Largo Winch, In Bruges, and I just watched "The Man from Nowhere" (Which was fantastic). I'm also looking for heist movies, I recently re-watched The Usual Suspects, Ronin, and the modern Italian Job. If the Italian Job doesn't indicate it already, they don't need to be cinematic masterpieces, I just want excitement and badass fights and/or thievery. If anybody's got suggestions, I would appreciate it!

Edit: To give a little more information on what I'm looking for, I also enjoyed the Run Down quite a lot (although I don't think it's on netflix) and consider that under the same umbrella, and am not looking for stuff as pure everybody-is-in-misery as stuff like Oldboy. I guess "Crime Adventure" movies might be a better way for me to put it.

surc fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 9, 2014

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

surc posted:

This has involved most of the Jason Statham movies on there, Largo Winch, In Bruges, and I just watched "The Man from Nowhere" (Which was fantastic). I'm also looking for heist movies, I recently re-watched The Usual Suspects, Ronin, and the modern Italian Job. If the Italian Job doesn't indicate it already, they don't need to be cinematic masterpieces, I just want excitement and badass fights and/or thievery. If anybody's got suggestions, I would appreciate it!

For a different type of heist movie - check out A Sound of Noise about a group of musical anarchists staging a series of illegal concerts across the city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU_74htRyZU

Get the Gringo is probably my favorite crime/heist movie up there right now. It's really funny and an entertaining watch.

For action - if you haven't seen it yet, watch Dredd. Even if you've seen it, watch it again.

If you have Hola unblocker, you should also check out The Raid. I think Brazil or UK Netflix has it. Similar to Dredd, equally badass.

And just regular crime thrillers. Elite Squad: Enemy Within is pretty good.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

If you've never seen Sneakers now's the time. Its a very fun movie with a lot of familiar faces.
Edit: doh its only available on DVD.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Sneakers is a really fun movie, whether it is streaming or not. Make sure to watch Three days of the Condor first, since Sneakers is a spiritual successor (To me. Shut up, I can't hear you, LALALA). Imagine a 70s Jason Bourne, if Bourne read a lot instead of killed people and was unbelievably handsome.

e: For actual streaming movies that fit your description, how about Marathon Man? The best part of that movie is that it has the same writer as Princess Bride. Well, that and every other part.

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 9, 2014

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Get the Gringo is probably my favorite crime/heist movie up there right now. It's really funny and an entertaining watch.

This was a fun watch. It's also another movie in which Peter Stormare plays a minor-to-middling role, of which I have seen maybe half a dozen in the last month, never knowing going into them that he'd be appearing. It's really starting to get to me. At this point I'm imagining that if I rewatch an old movie, one that I've seen before and know does not contain Peter Stormare, he will suddenly be in it, and have always been in it, and even though I like Peter Stormare and his off-kilter, vaguely louche performances, it's kind of a terrifying thought, you know? Peter Stormare is gaslighting me.

But yeah, definitely watch Get the Gringo.

e: Get the Gringo, Bad Milo!, Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters, The Last Stand, Pain & Gain, Alien 3, Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Indolent Bastard posted:

If I like action/dramas about criminal activity like heists and general robbery, is there anything I should seek out? (The addition of them being period pieces helps).

I have seen and enjoyed:

Get Carter (original)
Lock Stock....
Snatch
Heist
Ronin
The Town
Heat
The Italian Job (original)
The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (original)
The Usual Suspects
Inception
Reservoir Dogs
I know this is an old post but...

The Bank is an early 2000s Australian movie, more about playing stockmarkets type of heist, if you can call it that.

Sadly it seems The Bank Job isn't up on streaming (at least for America, might be on Canadian/UK netflix?) It is a good movie based on real events.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I just finished Blue Is The Warmest Color and I am still trying to process it all. I had been debating watching this for the past week as I was slightly put off by the NC-17 rating. I've always felt movies that get pushed into the NC-17 rating seem to stray away from story telling and focus more on the shock value of the rating. Blue is the Warmest Color never seems to stray off from it's goal on telling a powerful love story though. I had read reviews before watching it and feel my view of it might be slightly skewed, but the first half does seem to carry it's self stronger than the second half. None the less, it is worth three hours of your life, some of the best acting and story telling I have watched in a very long time.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Has the influx of new stuff into Streaming slowed down a bit? I notice Arrested Development is still billed in the "new releases" tab and there have been less than a half dozen new entries to the horror genre in... what, four months? I can't remember the last time I had a chance to watch Netflix, but it looks like the bulk of the new additions are series.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

One of the writers over at Badass Digest has been watching a whole load of Twilight Zone and writing about the standout episodes. Might be useful if you decide you don't want to watch everything?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

JediTalentAgent posted:

I do seem to think that Herc did 'humor' and 'clipshow' episodes better, though, from what I recall. However, Xena has The Bitter Suite which is really good and was innovative for the time, but it's sort of faded from peoples' memories when compared to the continued popularity of Whedon's musical stuff and other shows since that have done musical number episodes. Also, it had a fun 1930s Indiana Jones-styled episode.

Xena seems to be the more respected of the two, though.

There was a lot of crossover back when they both on the air, it was sort of like getting a proto-Marvel Studios cameo a few times a season on their respective shows.

When you're done, you might want to give the Young Herc show a gamble if it's available. I don't recall too much of it, but it wasn't horrible from what I remember and what little I saw.

(edit: I was just thinking, "the kid that played Teen Herc looked something like Ryan Gosling." Turns out he didn't. It WAS Ryan Gosling.)

I think Xena was a lot more popular and respected if only for the coverage it got for being the flagship tv program of the lesbian community at the time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Any recommendation for "bunch of scientists go on an adventure" movies? Preferably old ones? I'm talking about stuff like Fantastic Voyage or Andromeda Strain, those kind of old flicks.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

precision posted:

Any recommendation for "bunch of scientists go on an adventure" movies? Preferably old ones? I'm talking about stuff like Fantastic Voyage or Andromeda Strain, those kind of old flicks.

There's Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959) up.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

stickyfngrdboy posted:

God, I actually completely forgot that I watched it a month ago. I don't remember a thing about it, which I guess says a lot about the movie.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010

surc posted:

I'm looking for some recommendations. I've been on a Segal-ian thriller kick, watching a bunch of movies about dudes who have secret pasts and they're not saying they were in black ops... but they were in black ops. (And now they have to be a badass because terrible thing happened/person got kidnapped).

This is the basic plot line of pretty much every Jean Claude Van Damme movie, and there are a few on Netflix. I especially like Sudden Death

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

precision posted:

Star Trek: TOS features an entire science ship going on adventures.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Das Boo posted:

Has the influx of new stuff into Streaming slowed down a bit? I notice Arrested Development is still billed in the "new releases" tab and there have been less than a half dozen new entries to the horror genre in... what, four months? I can't remember the last time I had a chance to watch Netflix, but it looks like the bulk of the new additions are series.

They've added a bunch of stuff lately. They're just terrible about making it known unless it's something like Arrested Development, which is their original content.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Hey, thanks for the crime adventure recommendations guys, definitely gonna have to check out Sneakers and Get the Gringo. (I loved Get Carter, so from the description, I want to pretend Get the Gringo is just a sequel, and picks up a few months later after he's gotten out of town.)

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

If you don't like Glengary Glenn Ross you either don't like movies or like them for entirely the wrong reasons.

It has one of my all-time favorite scripts, the performances are nuanced and memorable, and even though I wouldn't say that it's visually arresting the movie does an excellent job of looking moldy and tawdry in all the right ways. It also has the weird honor of having the most miserable movie weather I can recall, where people actually look harried and soaked after being outside more than a few seconds.

Watching Jack Lemmon drip on the pristine upholstery of Kevin Spacey's luxury sedan and beg for a lead is what movies are about.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Pretend I empty quoted ^^^

bartok
May 10, 2006

Sarchasm posted:

If you don't like Glengary Glenn Ross you either don't like movies or like them for entirely the wrong reasons.

That seems a bit harsh and I love the movie. What would you say if someone enjoyed the original play over the movie?

I recently started watching Raising Hope and I am really enjoying it. The show might as well be a My Name is Earl spin-off but I get less of a hidden Scientology propaganda vibe.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Sarchasm posted:

It has one of my all-time favorite scripts, the performances are nuanced and memorable, and even though I wouldn't say that it's visually arresting the movie does an excellent job of looking moldy and tawdry in all the right ways. It also has the weird honor of having the most miserable movie weather I can recall, where people actually look harried and soaked after being outside more than a few seconds.

Watching Jack Lemmon drip on the pristine upholstery of Kevin Spacey's luxury sedan and beg for a lead is what movies are about.

Someone doesn't like the thing I like I must correct them immediately.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Raising Hope is about as good-natured as a sitcom about a family of idiots can be, and I like it a lot. Also Garret Dillahunt is great.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

bartok posted:

That seems a bit harsh and I love the movie. What would you say if someone enjoyed the original play over the movie?

I recently started watching Raising Hope and I am really enjoying it. The show might as well be a My Name is Earl spin-off but I get less of a hidden Scientology propaganda vibe.

I'm watching both right now. They're fun and they do a decent job filling the void left by Malcolm in the Middle, but their regressive politics are pretty lovely.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
...don't watch The Lifeguard, it's dumb.

watch Headhunters for some Nordic fun with the crazy little dude from Max Manus and Jamie Lannister.

watch American Gigolo and laugh at the early 1980's and Richard Gere, and rocking Blondie soundtrack.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

Sarchasm posted:

I think its well acted, has a fine script, but the characters are just so unlikable to me. I get the same vibe watching American Psycho and just don't get any enjoyment out of it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

ChineseConnection posted:

I think its well acted, has a fine script, but the characters are just so unlikable to me. I get the same vibe watching American Psycho and just don't get any enjoyment out of it.

The characters are unlikable to everyone; that's the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

bartok posted:

That's fair. It was a play first and as with something like that everyone is going to have their pet production.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The characters are unlikable to everyone; that's the point.

I have this recurring argument with a friend of mine who hates all my favorite books because she can't relate to any of the characters, and it just kills me to hear her badmouth Cormac McCarthy because no one in his books are "nice."

• Locked thread