Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

P.d0t posted:

Get a shittier d20.

Or let the players use that one, too.

Dangit, top of page. Feel free to retcon any fights that go disastrously wrong, either because you screwed up or the dice were horrible. In The Slaying Stone, you could always have them wake up inside the tower, having been rescued by the lady they were going to meet after the wolves. Once they're in the town, you could also have them wake up not dead, surrounded by the corpses of whatever was kicking their asses. Later, they may find out who saved them (maybe the dragon, maybe a friendly kobold, who knows).

homullus fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My PCs keep dropping, too. We're two sessions in and I don't think there's one among them who hasn't been below 0 HP yet. Worst example from last session was the invoker going down twice in one battle, along with the paladin, but as far as I'm concerned it just goes to show you don't let an artillery stand around at 4 HP for two rounds, and also, when your party is striker-heavy, you go in guns blazing rather than hold a defense position.

Speaking of the paladin, that's the one with the low primary and high secondary scores. It's kind of working out not badly, actually. He hit a fair amount last session, he's going after wounded enemies so even when his Divine Challenge does only 4 damage, they're going to respect that (see also: that artillery), and he's a decent secondary healer. I still say he'd be better with a regular build and leader multiclassing, but, y'know, duh.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

homullus posted:

Or let the players use that one, too.

Dangit, top of page. Feel free to retcon any fights that go disastrously wrong, either because you screwed up or the dice were horrible. In The Slaying Stone, you could always have them wake up inside the tower, having been rescued by the lady they were going to meet after the wolves. Once they're in the town, you could also have them wake up not dead, surrounded by the corpses of whatever was kicking their asses. Later, they may find out who saved them (maybe the dragon, maybe a friendly kobold, who knows).

We all use the same dice.

Yeah that's what I did. Last guy standing & lady dragged them into the tower, lady used raise dead on the guy who was completely dead instead of just dying. (Which totally costs 50gp)

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

When my players "died" in the Slaying Stone, they just woke up later all tied up in kobold prison. I don't really like having others save the players, I feel it kinda cheapens the whole "being a drat hero" experience.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Nihilarian posted:

That reminds me of when I played a minotaur. That racial power was pretty disappointing. They ever fix that?
Opportunity Gore and using inherent bonuses makes it less terrible.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Inherent Bonuses make no difference to Opportunity Gore, they're still enhancement bonuses, which it doesn't get, being neither a weapon nor an implement power.

PCs going down in 4e shouldn't be a surprise - a good encounter will involve significant damage flying on both sides, but PCs in 4e are fairly easy to get back up on an encounter basis. Good tactics help, though - if you remember to delay until after the leader/pally's turn, he can get you up before you miss a turn. If you don't, it can wind up death-spiralling.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

My Lovely Horse posted:

My PCs keep dropping, too. We're two sessions in and I don't think there's one among them who hasn't been below 0 HP yet. Worst example from last session was the invoker going down twice in one battle, along with the paladin, but as far as I'm concerned it just goes to show you don't let an artillery stand around at 4 HP for two rounds, and also, when your party is striker-heavy, you go in guns blazing rather than hold a defense position.

Speaking of the paladin, that's the one with the low primary and high secondary scores. It's kind of working out not badly, actually. He hit a fair amount last session, he's going after wounded enemies so even when his Divine Challenge does only 4 damage, they're going to respect that (see also: that artillery), and he's a decent secondary healer. I still say he'd be better with a regular build and leader multiclassing, but, y'know, duh.

Running heavy on ranged monsters in a melee party can be a tough slog on the players, particularly if you throw in minions without a controller in the party.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I drop one or two PCs out of a party of five per fight that is usually level+1 or 2. That seems reasonable, and it makes for exciting encounters.

E: the party has pretty much the default composition: 1 each of controller, defender and leader, and 2 strikers; essentials wizard, fighter, druid, warlock, and a PHB2 barbarian. The warlock goes down the most, with the barbarian and fighter jockeying for second place.

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 10, 2014

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

P.d0t posted:

Running heavy on ranged monsters in a melee party can be a tough slog on the players, particularly if you throw in minions without a controller in the party.
Apart from the striker focus and the defender running at half steam, they're actually a pretty balanced party with two melee characters, two ranged and one who swings both ways. The invoker regularly makes short work of minions, too, and in fact turned another encounter into a cakewalk by blasting the bunch of minions first. Just in this particular setup, they dropped the ball a bit.

Speaking of PCs going down, question for Masterplan pros. I had an effect active that was to end at the end of the bard's next turn. The bard went down and was dying. When her turn came up, Masterplan simply skipped it and the effect didn't end (nor did it prompt me for a death saving throw). Not a huge deal, but is there an option somewhere that I missed?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Don't know if this has already been posted, but my DDI renewal came around:

quote:

Should you decide to renew your subscription, we wanted to make you aware of some upcoming changes to DDI. As we look to the future launch of D&D Next, we are shifting our focus to the development and support of the new rules set, which will impact the Dungeons & Dragons Insider subscription service:

• DDI will remain available to those who still wish to access all the great 4th Edition Magazines and Tools as part of the DDI subscription.
• Starting in March of 2014, the DDI tool set (Character Builder, Adventure Tools and Compendium), will no longer be updated with new 4th Edition game content.
• Existing issues of Dungeon magazine and Dragon magazine will continue to be offered for viewing.

Nice to know that DDI's going to hang around! It's pretty ambiguous as to whether they're going to add Next stuff to DDI as well though.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
I was under the impression they stopped adding new content to the CB and compendium several months ago

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

xiw posted:

Don't know if this has already been posted, but my DDI renewal came around:

Nice to know that DDI's going to hang around! It's pretty ambiguous as to whether they're going to add Next stuff to DDI as well though.
I just re-upped mine, too, though my goal is to download and locally store the compendium.

The Masterplan import is what tipped the scales for me.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Is Masterplan Windows only?

I'm going to be DMing in May, and any tools that would make that easier would be fantastic. However, I am writing this post from a Mac.

Apple Mummy
Oct 11, 2012

I recently subscribed for a month mostly just to download all the art and maps from their books. Having hundreds of battle maps and other pieces of art to use or convert into tokens has helped me a lot in my Roll20 game.

Regarding tools, Power2ool has been pretty useful for me. I use it to type out and print monster cards but a friend of mine used it to run a paperless game on his tablet.

Apple Mummy fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 10, 2014

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Honestly I don't think I would bother much with 4E without the character builder, it greatly enhances the game and even after subbing for two years I've saved money (and utterly immense amounts of time) compared to buying and thumbing through every book, which is how my 3E experience generally went. It doesn't hurt that I don't get a lot from the 4E fluff, such as it is, so the books tend to have no value to me.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

OmegaGoo posted:

Is Masterplan Windows only?

I'm going to be DMing in May, and any tools that would make that easier would be fantastic. However, I am writing this post from a Mac.
Yep, Windows only. I'm unfamiliar with macs; is boot camp still a thing?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

dwarf74 posted:

Yep, Windows only. I'm unfamiliar with macs; is boot camp still a thing?

Boot camp is still a thing, but if you are boot camping to use like a 2MB program (that you can run a game without), things are getting silly.

Honestly I think the best utility for a computer is making initiative tracking a snap.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
I'm Bootcamping for other reasons. I'm also hopefully getting a Windows machine in May as well, so no worries there. I just couldn't find any information about it on the site. Thanks!

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
My party composition is going to be INTERESTING - one of the players I had considered dropping out so I persuaded a different friend to play.. and then the player who was waffling decided to join, after all, so now I have six players. As all roles in the party were already filled (two strikers, one of each other) I told her to pick anything she wanted in the PHB.. and she went with a second wizard. Looks like I'm going to be loading up on minions for most fights!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Drake_263 posted:

My party composition is going to be INTERESTING - one of the players I had considered dropping out so I persuaded a different friend to play.. and then the player who was waffling decided to join, after all, so now I have six players. As all roles in the party were already filled (two strikers, one of each other) I told her to pick anything she wanted in the PHB.. and she went with a second wizard. Looks like I'm going to be loading up on minions for most fights!

If the party has no defenders or leaders in a six-man group they are probably headed for disaster. Also, overloading on minions with a bunch of strikers in the group will make being a striker really boring.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

If the party has no defenders or leaders in a six-man group they are probably headed for disaster.

Drake_263 posted:

all roles in the party were already filled

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Oh, OK. Had a hard time making heads or tails of that post.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Drake_263 posted:

My party composition is going to be INTERESTING - one of the players I had considered dropping out so I persuaded a different friend to play.. and then the player who was waffling decided to join, after all, so now I have six players. As all roles in the party were already filltryed (two strikers, one of each other) I told her to pick anything she wanted in the PHB.. and she went with a second wizard. Looks like I'm going to be loading up on minions for most fights!

Try some 2-hit monsters.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Well, that problem was solved. We had the final setup session tonight (finishing up characters, bouncing story concepts, all that) and the player of the original wizard ended up convincing the other player to play something easier - so now she's playing Puck the Fey-pact halfling Warlock. Already had one warlock in the group but he's Star Pact and they're rather different personality- and theme-wise, too, so it should work out. So now they have 3 strikers (fey pact warlock, star pact warlock, and a rogue), one controller (wizard), one defender (a paladin) and a leader (support cleric) - this should make things a little easier.

Meanwhile the original wizard is now named Ginharia Widhad (Say it out loud fast), and random table conversation involved things like using a couple castings of Tenser's Floating Disc to pull their wagon, later replacing the wheels entirely by permanenced Floating Disc effects, even later mounting what essentially boils down to a quintessence-powered ramjet engine into the rear of it, then finally mounting a pair of open bags of holding in designated crumple zones within said wagon to turn it into a mystical vortex warhead to kill gigantic dragons with..

We haven't gotten to actually play yet, yrt the jokes are flying and we're having a lot of fun. I have a good feeling about this!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Your players actually get to make use of those feats that let a warlock profit from another warlock's curse. Nice.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
How does 4e fare with Tiny races as PC such as Pixies and Fairies? My backup character is an int/cha Warlord with a tiny warhorn but I was informed that 4e doesn't really do Tiny.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

killstealing posted:

How does 4e fare with Tiny races as PC such as Pixies and Fairies? My backup character is an int/cha Warlord with a tiny warhorn but I was informed that 4e doesn't really do Tiny.

The fact that it's Tiny doesn't really matter for a Pixie, the only thing it does is let it occupy enemy squares. For everything else, the Pixie basically uses the rules for Small creatures instead. So...no 2-handed weapons pretty much.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Ah alright, and it would move by flying with a maximum height of one square or so? I think I'll ask my DM first but it's a lot more clear now.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

killstealing posted:

Pixies are quite strong usually. The main disadvantage with being Tiny is that you can't use a lot of weapons properly, but if you're a Lazylord that doesn't even matter. Having at-will flight is a huge advantage for the class that makes up for it in most circumstances anyway.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Myriad Truths posted:

Pixies are quite strong usually. The main disadvantage with being Tiny is that you can't use a lot of weapons properly, but if you're a Lazylord that doesn't even matter. Having at-will flight is a huge advantage for the class that makes up for it in most circumstances anyway.

I had to google Lazylord and it sounds ideal for what I want to do. Obviously as a buzzing sprite I won't be solid at melee combat so just telling others to hit harder/faster sounds good to me. The party could also use someone with high Cha/Int. It's a really big party (8 people) so Warlord an sich will be powerful anyway.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

killstealing posted:

I had to google Lazylord and it sounds ideal for what I want to do. Obviously as a buzzing sprite I won't be solid at melee combat so just telling others to hit harder/faster sounds good to me. The party could also use someone with high Cha/Int. It's a really big party (8 people) so Warlord an sich will be powerful anyway.
Hey! Listen!

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

killstealing posted:

Ah alright, and it would move by flying with a maximum height of one square or so? I think I'll ask my DM first but it's a lot more clear now.

The thing about altitude limit is that it only matters at the end of your turn. In the Pixie's case, if you end your turn higher than 1 square above the ground, you Crash (basically fall, but slightly modified). There is no "max height" beyond that.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Nihilarian posted:

Hey! Listen!

Yesssssssssss

Generic Octopus posted:

The thing about altitude limit is that it only matters at the end of your turn. In the Pixie's case, if you end your turn higher than 1 square above the ground, you Crash (basically fall, but slightly modified). There is no "max height" beyond that.

So it's more like a max maintained height. Alright, thanks!

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

killstealing posted:

If you have time to kill, you might want to look into a Killswitch build; it's a hybrid of Warlord and Artificer that's very tactician-y and a very strong support/leader/enabler. Uses Int and I believe isn't concerned with a secondary so Cha can work fine. It's kinda min-maxish but the build mainly serves to boost up the rest of the party, so power discrepancy across the table isn't normally an issue.

killstealing posted:

So it's more like a max maintained height. Alright, thanks!

Yeah pretty much. It's also really easy to circumvent as a Pixie if you play a Ranger with a Raptor pet (you can ride it 'cause you're tiny, and it doesn't have an altitude limit). Pretty fun.

Oh and also:

quote:

Obviously as a buzzing sprite I won't be solid at melee combat
Pixie Brawler Fighter says otherwise sir.:colbert:

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Just for clarification, altitude 1 means you're flying one square above the ground - ground level is altitude 0 instead. This means you can do things like hover over an ally or an enemy's square.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

killstealing posted:

I had to google Lazylord and it sounds ideal for what I want to do.

It's powerful but you have to keep it interesting when you're basically giving someone else all of your standard actions. I got tired of it real quick.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I agree with the Killswitch suggestion or the like, at least; I don't like Lazylords that aren't hybrided. There aren't that many awesome lazy powers.

Myriad Truths fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 14, 2014

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
The best pixie build is pixie knight because you can sit above an enemy's square and then it literally can't get out of your aura.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Yeah, it's a pretty big drag to build a full Lazylord, especially when there are so many great classes to hybrid with (artificer, wizard, psion)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Okay, totally unrelated question but this has been bothering me for ages and I was wondering what people's opinions are.

The Warlock feat Vestige Adept reads: "When your vestige pact boon is triggered, as a free action you can choose to change your active vestige to any other vestige that has been an active vestige for you since your last short rest or extended rest."

There are a number of Vestige dailies, which grant you vestiges on an encounter basis.

So the question is, does this feat give you access to those dailies in later encounters, allowing you to fire off a vestige daily in your first encounter of the day and potentially have access to it for the rest of the day? I saw people on the CharOp forums swear that it does not. My reading is that that text equates to "has either been an active vestige for you since your last short rest or has been an active vestige for you since your last extended rest". Since these dailies qualify under the latter half of that statement, they qualify.

If they do qualify, it seems to me like this feat is quite strong, comparable to the epic-level Vestige Mastery (which just makes a daily vestige of yours into a regular vestige).