Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Why the hell are they jamming IM 40 back into our faces so much lately? Why aren't they giving out more of the new characters? I guess I won't be bothering with the Divine Tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
These Hulk events are pretty good for farming HP. 100HP per top 20? 50HP per top 100? That seems like a lot given that these things are given out every day.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Gallow posted:

Why the hell are they jamming IM 40 back into our faces so much lately? Why aren't they giving out more of the new characters? I guess I won't be bothering with the Divine Tournament.

That is going to be a tournament I won't enter. I already have one cover of that dude so I'll be able to do any mission where he's required. And my storm is already maxed so meh.

I also got a black hulk cover form the single hulk token I got. Now my hulk is at 0/0/3. Having him at a low level with 5 on black would make him a hilarious battery.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 7, 2014

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:
Is it even worth opening a new roster spot for Ares now that it's costing me 350 HP a pop?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ares is a pretty solid character. If you can afford it, go for it.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Arschlochkind posted:

Is it even worth opening a new roster spot for Ares now that it's costing me 350 HP a pop?

He's like a backup Thor for when Thor needs some time to heal up.

Then again, I spend all my HP on opening new slots so that I don't have to cut anyone from my team, so I may not be the best person to listen to.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Arschlochkind posted:

Yeah because, sooner or later, you will need him to enter some mission. He's also pretty decent.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Arschlochkind posted:

Yes, Ares is really good, particularly in pvp. His nuke damage won't scale well for level 230 pve opponents but it doesn't need to for regular 85 and even 141 opponents.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
It's either buy a sure-thing roster spot or roll on a chance for Bagman. Or pay way too much and buy a sure-thing cover. Or buy health packs. Yes buy the roster spot.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Gallow posted:

I'm pretty happy with them giving some of the older characters. As they add more and more 3 stars, it becomes harder to get specific covers for them due to there being the same chance of getting a 3 star as before, but more characters for the RNG to pick from once you get one. When they add them as specific rewards though, it lets those that don't have them get a decent chance to get them.

I am on about day 66 if the daily rewards are accurate and my first IM40 cover I got was the other day when they offered them as rewards.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Climbed to 41st with Spidey and some liberal rerolling; picked up the purple Loki. Am I better off than if I'd gotten an Ares?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Mister Macys posted:

Climbed to 41st with Spidey and some liberal rerolling; picked up the purple Loki. Am I better off than if I'd gotten an Ares?

Well, if you didn't have either, you probably would have been better off with 3 Ares than 1 Loki. I managed to snag 2 Loki, which is much better for me than any Ares would have been.

I just wish I was at more than 2 black covers, I'd like to use him against Daken and Bullseye in the Hulk event. Hate fighting those guys.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mister Macys posted:

At that level, you'd probably be better off with 3 ares. Ares is a beast. Loki's real use is with Patch.

Hey baby girl

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
I finally won a bracket for the first time and snagged IW which will probably sit there without another cover forever.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Uuugh so lazy.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

Uuugh so lazy.

Thats 3.5k iso there. Unlock em all while watching TV or something.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Secretly I'm hoping for the bug where they all turn into heroic tokens.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
Do tokens ever expire like covers or do they sit there bugging you forever?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Only if they're the limited time special tokens. Those expire when the events expire.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CaptainScraps posted:

At that level, you'd probably be better off with 3 ares. Ares is a beast. Loki's real use is with Patch.

Hey baby girl

Oh well, next time then.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

SynthOrange posted:

Uuugh so lazy.

I had 2 turn into hp, so you might get a pleasant surprise

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I figured if I left things alone in 39th place, I'd get crabbed down into the safe zone for my Ares and I could go to bed. Nope. gently caress Loki.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
gently caress Desert Ares/Daken/Venom bullshit cascades. :suicide:

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Largepotato posted:

gently caress Desert Ares/Daken/Venom bullshit cascades. :suicide:

M.Storm is always the answer on desert stages. Two red matches and you can pretty much cascade the board forever. Bonus points if you use Thor to add more green with his yellow.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I started this two months ago and quit for some reason, but getting back into it right now seems more fun for some reason. I just got two questions:
-some old boosts no longer drop(I think it says they're discontinued?), I guess because they've all been replaced by new ones that fill their roles better. So should I use up all my old ones?
-is the OP outdated in any way?

I get kinda peeved whenever I get an unusual two star character because I'd really like to use Magneto and Bullseye but with both stuck at level 6 with one ability, they're pretty useless.

Also, how do the PVE rewards change over time? Because I did the same mission over and over until it only started giving 1 point, and now it's harder but gives more points again. Does it increase in difficulty after a period of time or according to character levels or something?

Friendly Fire posted:

M.Storm is always the answer on desert stages. Two red matches and you can pretty much cascade the board forever. Bonus points if you use Thor to add more green with his yellow.

Is that the term for when a nonstop avalanche of matches start because of one move? Because it's really appropriate. Especially the part where you make a move and then luck screws you over and gives the enemy 4 crits in a row.

HGH fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 8, 2014

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

HGH posted:

Is that the term for when a nonstop avalanche of matches start because of one move? Because it's really appropriate. Especially the part where you make a move and then luck screws you over and gives the enemy 4 crits in a row.
M. Storm can use a couple of reds to clear all of the environment tiles (and usually get some cascades of matches after the first one), then use the cheap environment ability to create green tiles (and sometimes get cascades), and then use the extra green tiles to blow up half the board (and sometimes get more cascades). Then repeat with reds and environments.

With a little luck, you can go on a loop where you keep using actives and never have to make a match. If you have the right support, you can jump start the cycle when it stalls (or stun the enemies and take a free turn). Since the Hulk event started with all these desert stages, I've had a couple of runs where I got a 5-match on the first turn, and started the cycle from there. You can kill the enemy team without them ever taking a swing on desert with Modern Storm.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Were the prizes for the latest Hulk rounds supposed to be Heroic tokens instead of Hulk ones? because that's what I got.

Also: M.Storm, OBW, Thor are hilarious on the desert stage. The widow will steal AP to fuel your chains (and prevent Hulk's countdowns from happening, if you run out of gas) and Thor generates even more green.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

trucutru posted:

Were the prizes for the latest Hulk rounds supposed to be Heroic tokens instead of Hulk ones? because that's what I got.
Yep. You get Hulk Tokens by reaching point milestones in the "main" Hulk map. The rewards for the shorter rounds are Heroic tokens.

One of which got me a Blue Spidey :dance:

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

trucutru posted:

Also: M.Storm, OBW, Thor are hilarious on the desert stage. The widow will steal AP to fuel your chains (and prevent Hulk's countdowns from happening, if you run out of gas) and Thor generates even more green.

This is what I have been running when I don't have to use a set character and it is so good it is pretty much broken. I found that I pretty regularly end up with 30 green AP so I can even sneak Thor's green in every now and then without breaking the chain.

Fat Samurai posted:

Yep. You get Hulk Tokens by reaching point milestones in the "main" Hulk map. The rewards for the shorter rounds are Heroic tokens.

One of which got me a Blue Spidey :dance:

After getting an Invisible Wonman token from winning my PVP bracket, I got another one from a heroic token in the Hulk event. I would have preferred a Spidey thougg, mine has been stuck on 2 covers forever.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Snazzy Frocks posted:

It's either buy a sure-thing roster spot or roll on a chance for Bagman. Or pay way too much and buy a sure-thing cover. Or buy health packs. Yes buy the roster spot.

Well, I was going to buy the roster spot in any case - it's the only thing I spend HP on.

I had just gotten a yellow Ares cover with a standard token before I posted the question, so I went ahead and got 3 more with the PvP event and added him to my roster.

Fat Samurai posted:

Up until the last short round (lol) I had been getting Hulk tokens, now it's all heroic.

SynthOrange posted:

Uuugh so lazy.

I'm at 42 myself. Waiting for the heroic glitch too, or maybe I'll wait until I have 50 and have a little Marvel Christmas morning.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Oh yes, Bolivia, famous for its deserts. (Shut up about the Atacama desert, I have wikipedia too). There is even a loving desert in the Amazon, geez, the deforestation has reached critical levels. M.Storm, queen of the desert, is pleased.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Of course when I decide to just recruit up M. Hawkeye they take replace the Hulk tokens with heroics. The only covers from those I couldn't use was Thor's. :sigh:

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

trucutru posted:

Oh yes, Bolivia, famous for its deserts. (Shut up about the Atacama desert, I have wikipedia too). There is even a loving desert in the Amazon, geez, the deforestation has reached critical levels. M.Storm, queen of the desert, is pleased.

Don't forget the infamous Canadian deserts.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Largepotato posted:

Don't forget the infamous Canadian deserts.

It may not be what we're know for but they do exist!

http://www.canada.com/mobile/iphone/story.html?id=f8d104e8-9497-4850-a913-e07ae63a0578

There are also semi-desert areas near Kamloops and other areas in BC.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
It seems that 80% of the people killing my team is M.Storm+MBW. And any match against them can turn ugly even with level 65-70 characters. I just had to retreat from one because they had ALL THE GEMS by turn 2.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Sadly, I was not able to double dip on Hulk covers after picking up the super early one. I was able to farm the Hulk stash prerequisites before most anyone could, though.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Black Widow lives! :woop:

She finished the battle at full health.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Why aren't you killing the gem matcher/ability without countdown user first? Eliminate Moonstone and it's extra easy sailing from there on.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Holy gently caress, Daken/Thor/M. Storm is absolutely broken in this new tournament. You can keep cycling through the board at your leisure, all while Daken makes an insane amount of strike tiles that compound with literally everything. Thor's maxed yellow means you are never at a loss for green for board churn, which immediately gives you a shitload of strike tiles. It's basically impossible to lose. I'm fighting 85 teams with no boosts and I'm only level 50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

death .cab for qt posted:

I'm fighting 85 teams with no boosts and I'm only level 50

I made the mistake of going against a 110 team with boosts and the M.Storm/Thor/Desert strategy. Didn't turn out as good.
Speaking of which, why am I up against teams this strong? My highest level covers are only at 25 and I'm not repeating the levels either.