Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Do you guys think that when Boeing rolls out a new plane they start an office pool about which airline will crash it first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Is that office pool indoors under a billiard light?

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008
According to the New York Times, there's no evidence of an explosion: "Using a system that looks for flashes around the world, the Pentagon reviewed preliminary surveillance data from the area where the plane disappeared and saw no evidence of an explosion, said an American government official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the subject matter is classified."

Okay, my reasoning that it wasn't likely to be terrorism because terrorists love to claim their work isn't really a good reason. After poking around, it seems there are some examples of terrorist attacks where nobody claimed responsibility (but some blame was able to be assigned anyway). Lockerbie was never officially claimed but everyone still put the pieces together. Al-Qaeda didn't actually claim 9/11 at first, yet I remember seeing pictures of the suspected hijackers and their affiliation on the New York Times website just an hour or two after the second tower collapsed.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Why do the Pentagon have a system that looks for flashes of light?

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

I prefer a quiet station,
thank you.
lol check out this little gem hidden away in the middle of a sprawling article about "terrorism fears"

quote:

The missing plane is believed to have been involved in a crash in August, 2012, when it damaged the tail of a China Eastern Airlines plane at Shanghai Pudong Airport, according to unconfirmed reports.

In the incident, the tip of the wing of the Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 broke off.

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.

WastedJoker posted:

Why do the Pentagon have a system that looks for flashes of light?

it'll be part of their early warning system for ICBM launches. They were pretty cool back in the 80s where sunlight reflecting of low altitude clouds could cause attack warnings.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Skipjack posted:

lol check out this little gem hidden away in the middle of a sprawling article about "terrorism fears"

My new fave theory: Tail flaps became jammed in position, they fought to circle around before eventually the tail gave way under the immense forces and they plummeted to their deaths.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

No idea what the original source for this is (read it from a Finnish tabloid news) but apparently there were five people who were checked-in for the flight but didn't board the plane (and also had their luggage removed from the plane as is customary).
So that's extreme luck/good karma for that group, or planned part of a terrorist act.

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.
it was the other plane that had the damaged tail, the missing plane lost part of its wing tip. If the repairs weren't carried out correctly, which isn't unheard of, i guess that increases the odds of this being a catastrophic failure of the airframe in flight.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

god drat it.

chefvinny
Apr 5, 2009
The connection to a potential terrorist incident makes for a big headline, but there are examples of sudden, catastrophic accidents caused by mechanical failure or even pilot error where no distress call was put out:

Lauda Air 004 - 767's thrust reverser engages on one engine, causing the plane to bank hard and fall out of the sky at Mach 1 before breaking up.

China Airlines 006 - 747 alerts crew to a potential engine failure while flying in high clouds. Inappropriate crew reaction sends the plane into a spiral dive over the Pacific, only recovering when breaking through the clouds at 10,000 feet.

Everyone's favorite mystery crash TWA 800 - fuel vapors ignite in the center tank from low level electrical arcing / Ufo encounter / meteorite strike / Navy laser / CIA bomb / terrorist missile / swamp gas / Foo Fighter.

The factor of flying over an ocean at night may play a significant role in the accident - a serious problem compounded by a lack of visual cues

Knight Corgi
Jan 5, 2014
Well there we go, some updates to add to the mystery.

Debris, possibly from the aircraft, found in waters.

Very strange fact about the stolen passports: both bought the tickets in Thailand and through the same company.

:iiam:

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Realtalk: it must loving suck to have someone you know die in a mysterious plane crash/supposed terrorist attack, like you're never going to see the body ever or say bye. :(

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

It would be weirder if they bought their tickets separately, had nothing to do with each other, and just happened to be on the same plane which then crashed into the ocean.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Knight Corgi posted:

Oh okay I see. But that's still kind of unnerving.

Actually it owns

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

AKA Pseudonym posted:

It would be weirder if they bought their tickets separately, had nothing to do with each other, and just happened to be on the same plane which then crashed into the ocean.

The news is now saying that the identities of the two people with fake passports has been determined.

http://www.astroawani.com/news/show/identiti-dua-penumpang-mh370-dengan-pasport-palsu-sudah-dikenalpasti-31569 (use google translate)

Oddly enough they aren't sharing their citizenship. poo poo's getting mysterious.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
Malay translates real well to English through Chrome's auto translate option. Mustn't have many grammatical changes or anything. I guess that's why they always say Bahasa Indo and Bahasa Malay is a really easy language to learn. Dilarang morokok mothafuckas. When all those people died, I bet the collective horror and then silence woke every telepath on the planet. I wish more people spoke Malay; then it could be a quick and useful language to learn and throw onto a C.V..

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

Helmacron posted:

Malay translates real well to English through Chrome's auto translate option. Mustn't have many grammatical changes or anything. I guess that's why they always say Bahasa Indo and Bahasa Malay is a really easy language to learn. Dilarang morokok mothafuckas. When all those people died, I bet the collective horror and then silence woke every telepath on the planet. I wish more people spoke Malay; then it could be a quick and useful language to learn and throw onto a C.V..

Ya I also thought that was shockingly coherent for an auto-translated job. Dunno about how easy Malay is to learn though; I very nearly failed my high school final exam due to poor proficiency in Bahasa Malaysia(it's a compulsory subject here). Also we don't know if they're really dead yet!!!!

They probably are though :dings:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rocks posted:

Realtalk: it must loving suck to have someone you know die in a mysterious plane crash/supposed terrorist attack, like you're never going to see the body ever or say bye. :(

You could always adopt a crab or lobster caught in the area of crash. Pretty good chance the bottom feeders munched on your loved one.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrFrosty posted:

The news is now saying that the identities of the two people with fake passports has been determined.

http://www.astroawani.com/news/show/identiti-dua-penumpang-mh370-dengan-pasport-palsu-sudah-dikenalpasti-31569 (use google translate)

Oddly enough they aren't sharing their citizenship. poo poo's getting mysterious.

Google Translate posted:

Photographs are said to be the image of debris floating in the sea, after a 90-minute drive from Kuala Lumpur.

I'm not falling for that one again.

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

NFX posted:

I'm not falling for that one again.

I just checked and that is literally what the actual article says. Google translate isn't at fault here, lovely writing is. gently caress me we can't even do news articles right, why do they let us fly planes?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

guys

rupert knows all

https://twitter.com/rupertmurdoch/status/442680012630945792

Rupert Murdoch ‏@rupertmurdoch
777crash confirms jihadists turning to make trouble for China. Chance for US to make common cause, befriend China while Russia bullies.

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

thank you.
favin that poo poo to retweet a hundred times when it turns out it was a structural failure

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Bolivar posted:

I prefer the food in Singapore as well, but the main thing I noticed going from Singapore to KL was the amount of extremely beautiful women multiplying by 10. Kind of like a moment of "I knew SOMETHING was wrong in Singapore but I couldn't quite grasp what it was".

Well, I mostly went to touristy spots in Singapore though my hotel was in little india, so the women I saw were mostly ivory-faced chinese expats with fake tits wearing thongs out in the street, and the women in KL were mostly covered in niqabs, walking ten feet behind their D&G wearing hair gel abusing douchenozzles who all gave me the evil eye for not looking enough like bin laden, so we'll have to agree to disagree.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

is it weird that they haven't found wreckage yet? seems like there would be some international help on this front...

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

guys

rupert knows all

777crash confirms jihadists turning to make trouble for China. Chance for US to make common cause, befriend China while Russia bullies.

lol it's cool that Rupert has his massive propaganda empire to do the job for him but he still likes to get his hands dirty and help the cause with a few tweets every once in a while

Woden
May 6, 2006
WSJ is reporting that it's probably been found but wont be able to properly search until daylight Monday.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

The Rage posted:

Do you guys think that when Boeing rolls out a new plane they start an office pool about which airline will crash it first?

To be fair I do feel for people involved in the production of the aircraft, this has to be a stressful time until we figure out the cause.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
I swear Vietnam are just trolling Malaysia by finding debris "again"

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Woden posted:

WSJ is reporting that it's probably been found but wont be able to properly search until daylight Monday.

Yeah, I mean we would go looking tonight but its getting dark... Walking Dead is on later... I was going to have some people over... Tell you what, tomorrow morning, like first thing when I get up, I'll head over there and take a look.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Vertical Lime posted:

guys

rupert knows all

He's really trying hard to become the Tomorrow Never Dies version of himself, clearly

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

AP posted:

Vietnamese authorities searching waters for the missing Boeing 777 jetliner spotted an object Sunday that they suspected was one of the plane's doors, as international intelligence agencies joined the investigation into two passengers who boarded the aircraft with stolen passports.

It has not been confirmed that the plane attempted to turn back.

I thought this was kind of interesting...

AP posted:

A telephone operator on a China-based KLM hotline on Sunday confirmed that "Maraldi" and "Kozel" were both booked to leave Beijing on a KLM flight to Amsterdam on March 8. Maraldi was then to fly to Copenhagen, Denmark, on KLM on March 8, and Kozel to Frankfurt, Germany, on March 8.

She said since the pair booked the tickets through China Southern Airlines, she had no information on where they bought them.

Having onward reservations to Europe from Beijing would have meant the pair, as holders of EU passports, would not have needed visas for China.

Apparently traveling together on stolen passports with two different destinations in the EU.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Three Olives posted:

Apparently traveling together on stolen passports with two different destinations in the EU.
And now they're both dead.

Owned passport stealers.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

chefvinny posted:

Everyone's favorite mystery crash TWA 800 - fuel vapors ignite in the center tank from low level electrical arcing / Ufo encounter / meteorite strike / Navy laser / CIA bomb / terrorist missile / swamp gas / Foo Fighter.

Definitely the Foo Fighters. Their music was too much for that plane to handle.

Skipjack posted:

it was the other plane that had the damaged tail, the missing plane lost part of its wing tip. If the repairs weren't carried out correctly, which isn't unheard of, i guess that increases the odds of this being a catastrophic failure of the airframe in flight.

Again underpaid labor. What do you expect?

E: As for the passports, I'm more willing to believe it was drug traffickers than anything else.

E2:

MrFrosty posted:

I just checked and that is literally what the actual article says. Google translate isn't at fault here, lovely writing is. gently caress me we can't even do news articles right, why do they let us fly planes?
Can't fly planes.
Can't write articles.
Can't find lost planes.
Can't check passports.

Not off to a good start.

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 9, 2014

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Al Borland posted:

E: As for the passports, I'm more willing to believe it was drug traffickers than anything else.

why would smugglers bring down the plane idgi thats dumb

e: seriously, surprised no one else brought up that possibility.

Slush Garbo fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 9, 2014

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

LOL

texasmed
May 27, 2004

Hugh Malone posted:

bring down the plane

we don't know this part yet

Woden
May 6, 2006

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Yeah, I mean we would go looking tonight but its getting dark... Walking Dead is on later... I was going to have some people over... Tell you what, tomorrow morning, like first thing when I get up, I'll head over there and take a look.
Even in Australia we call off searches when it gets dark, I don't know maybe it's just a regional thing?

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

texasmed posted:

we don't know this part yet

no kiddin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The plane can actually be used as a submarine and those two terrorists are down there buzzin around in the ocean on their plane-sub it's loving crazy you guys

• Locked thread