Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have Astros and the only time I an hear myself talk is when my friends lovely turtle beaches echo back what I said.

The only time I hear direct feedback from my mic to my headset is rubbing the mic with my finger or breathing heavily into it.

I either can't notice it or they don't do it.

Either way, I wore earplugs pretty regularly for the past 4 years as a musician so I am pretty adept at keeping my voice normal when wearing headphones/plugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Laserface posted:

I have Astros and the only time I an hear myself talk is when my friends lovely turtle beaches echo back what I said.

The only time I hear direct feedback from my mic to my headset is rubbing the mic with my finger or breathing heavily into it.

Either way, I wore earplugs pretty regularly for the past 4 years as a musician so I am pretty adept at keeping my voice normal when wearing headphones/plugs.

The general idea behind sidetone is that the speaker wants to avoid it because it's distracting and unpleasant. Sidetone is usually at about 4-9% of your actual voice. If you start raising your voice it starts getting louder and more unpleasant, forcing you to be more quiet. If you don't hear your own voice on your headset then this could mean that you're either really quiet or just at the right level.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Stux posted:

Then you have the whole 50hz deal.

How did MS handle this? Does it just make the whole X1 (games and all) run at 50hz or does something else happen?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

How did MS handle this? Does it just make the whole X1 (games and all) run at 50hz or does something else happen?
As far as I'm aware it forces 50Hz output only when full-screen video is happening.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I actually just heard an ad on the radio for Comcast about "voice control". So you can record, change channels/volume, turn on/off, start netflix/hulu/etc from the comcast cable box using your voice, similar to the X1. I personally don't see the need for cable boxes anymore, but hearing that the cable box itself functions similar to the X1 (actually better than) makes me wonder what media capabilities does the average consumer gain buy purchasing the X1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD_CA9cWsmE

Comcast's newest cable boxes are called the X1 platform. Don't have anything to do with or any ties to microsoft though.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Tyree posted:

Comcast's newest cable boxes are called the X1 platform. Don't have anything to do with or any ties to microsoft though.

Comcast also has a big partnership with EA. Their cable boxes are going to stream console-quality games. It's like they're trying to cause brand confusion.

Edit: \/\/ Talkin' about this. Seems to be in beta, still. Just like another X1. ;)

Cable boxes will probably always be hot trash, though.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 9, 2014

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I have that Comcast box and it's hot trash. Voice control with an iOS app only. You can only stream Pandora. No Netflix and On Demand sucks like it always has. I have no idea what the previous poster is talking about.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I have that Comcast box and it's hot trash. Voice control with an iOS app only. You can only stream Pandora. No Netflix and On Demand sucks like it always has. I have no idea what the previous poster is talking about.

A company overselling the capabilities of their device in marketing you say :crossarms:

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

From what I've read, it switches to 50hz output for watching TV through the Bone, but games still output in 60 so you get tearing or whatever unless you re-disable 50hz.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

A shrubbery! posted:

From what I've read, it switches to 50hz output for watching TV through the Bone, but games still output in 60 so you get tearing or whatever unless you re-disable 50hz.

Are you positive? Wouldn't it intelligently autoswitch between 50 and 60 hz on the fly depending on what app was in focus?

How does it handle snapping?

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

How does it handle snapping?

As I understand it, it only switches to 50Hz when it's on "HDMI in" mode, and only when it's full screen. Snap something else in and it's back to 60Hz mode, which means judder city if you're watching PAL television.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

A shrubbery! posted:

I believe its linked to the TV app, so it switches to 50hz when the app's launched and back to 60hz when it's closed. No idea about how noticeable judder is when something's snapped, I bet you'd need pretty good eye sight. When I've got TV snapped whilst playing it's not something I'm paying too close attention to, but I'm in a 60hz region so can't say how distracting it'd be at 50hz.

They've released times you can play digital downloads for the exclusive Titanfall http://www.titanfall.com/news/preload-and-unlock-details

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Laserface posted:

Astros have sidetone. You don't notice it because you're not supposed to notice it. The absence of it is very noticeable though.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Can anyone recommend a good headset that has sidetone? It's incredibly disconcerting without it. I have the adapter already, just need a headset to go with it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Astros have sidetone. You don't notice it because you're not supposed to notice it. The absence of it is very noticeable though.

So when I have them turned off and I am wearing them and talking, like I am doing right now, its supposed to sound weird?

because it doesnt.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Laserface posted:

So when I have them turned off and I am wearing them and talking, like I am doing right now, its supposed to sound weird?

because it doesnt.

There's a threshold which was discussed on a recent QI (I don't remember what the exact delay they used was); most traditional phones do this quickly enough that it isn't a problem, but once the delay reaches a certain point it completely throws off your ability to speak properly (although not, apparently, if your brain is built weirdly like Alan Davies).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Laserface posted:

because it doesnt.

It's supposed to, yeah. It won't for everyone.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I've been waiting to pick up an XBOX One because I wanted to get the Titanfall bundle. Im hoping I can go grab a bundle at a midnight launch tonight. Hopefully the game downloads fast. I have a 50mb connection, but i'm assuming their serves are going to be swamped tonight.

arbybaconator fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 10, 2014

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
yeah, i am super amped up for Titanfall tomorrow but I have no doubt that it will be a catastrophic clusterfuck just like pretty much everything that requires the internet on launch day.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

yeah, i am super amped up for Titanfall tomorrow but I have no doubt that it will be a catastrophic clusterfuck just like pretty much everything that requires the internet on launch day.

Yeah given that preloading still isn't Bone-vailable its gonna be a fuckin mess tonight when I try to buy that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Barudak posted:

Yeah given that preloading still isn't Bone-vailable its gonna be a fuckin mess tonight when I try to buy that.

I don't get what it is about not having pre-loads. The PS4 doesn't offer it either and it's infuriating.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I don't get what it is about not having pre-loads. The PS4 doesn't offer it either and it's infuriating.

If you can't preload you might go grab a disc from retail to save the download time.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Sony's infrastructure can do pre-loads but they hosed up on PS3 with GTA 5 because people were able to decrypt audio files and spoiler the game 3 weeks before it was released. Also a lot of retail stores lean on the digital distributors because apparently digital isn't allowed to be better than retail and if it tries the retail stores will just take their ball and go home.

I wonder if the Titanfall Xbox One bundles at least come with some sort of preinstall on their hard drives, otherwise people are in for a nasty surprise when they get it home and set it up and find they still need to download 40 gigs.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

univbee posted:

Sony's infrastructure can do pre-loads but they hosed up on PS3 with GTA 5 because people were able to decrypt audio files and spoiler the game 3 weeks before it was released. Also a lot of retail stores lean on the digital distributors because apparently digital isn't allowed to be better than retail and if it tries the retail stores will just take their ball and go home.

I wonder if the Titanfall Xbox One bundles at least come with some sort of preinstall on their hard drives, otherwise people are in for a nasty surprise when they get it home and set it up and find they still need to download 40 gigs.

If I remember correctly it was confirmed to be a download redeem code included in the package.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

univbee posted:

+Patches.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I said come in! posted:

If I remember correctly it was confirmed to be a download redeem code included in the package.

It definitely is but that doesn't necessarily preclude the install from already being there, just requiring an owning account to unlock it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In not-titanfall-somehow news Games with Gold to continue to suck for the near future with a nebulous promise to "improve the selection of games offered in the coming months" Thanks Phil Spencer!

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Nah I am sure the Titanfall download will go smooth for digital copies. I have never had an issue with xbox download speeds in the past. Everyone always claims end days about this poo poo

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Uh, probably because a major game never released digitally on the Xbox before.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Nah I am sure the Titanfall download will go smooth for digital copies. I have never had an issue with xbox download speeds in the past. Everyone always claims end days about this poo poo

The difference here is that Microsoft is selling a bundle with the game as a download voucher. If the console has no pre-install that's an awful lot of connections downloading 40 gigs. On amazon.ca the bundle is outselling the standalone game.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

People on here said the same thing with the Day one patch that was required. Everything went fine. But preach on dudes

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

People on here said the same thing with the Day one patch that was required. Everything went fine. But preach on dudes

I mean, something could happen. It wouldn't shock me at all. I bought the disc version because it came with a bonus 10 xbucks or whatever I'm supposed to call system locked money.

It took well over an hour to download and install the CoD Demo over the weekend though, and that was smaller. On my fiber connection I'd still be looking at a 3.5 hour download for Titanfall, and just about nothing has delivered on the pre-launch promise of playing while downloading/installing for me so eh.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

DangerZoneDelux posted:

It's 40gb vs what, 500mb? Plus the Titanfall day one patch is apparently a further 840mb.

The server load isn't really going to be the same level.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

58 times larger means more concurrent users.

Regardless, I think you're right because Titanfall probably isn't going to do huge numbers on Xbone on day 1. Definitely not digitally.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Pretty sure Akamai etc. can handle it :)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MJBuddy posted:

It took well over an hour to download and install the CoD Demo over the weekend though, and that was smaller. On my fiber connection I'd still be looking at a 3.5 hour download for Titanfall, and just about nothing has delivered on the pre-launch promise of playing while downloading/installing for me so eh.

This feature for me was "great" on Crimson Dragon. At about 20% it goes "you can play the game now" so I boot it up. It lets you play the tutorial or about 1:30 of gameplay and then says you have to wait for full installation to play anything else.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

The connection is fine, but it is dropping down to single figure FPS if anything exciting is happening according to GiantBomb.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Reviews so far. Hype fulfillment.

OXM 8.5/10
OXM UK 9/10
Venturebeat 82/100
Polygon 9/10
EGM 10/10
Gamespot 9/10
Giantbomb's Not review No score yet
Rev3 5/5
Edge No score yet
IGN Norway 8.1/10
Videogamer 8/10
Gamereactor 9/10
Gamersglobal 8.5
Gamesradar 4/5
Joystiq 4.5/5
Gameinformer No score yet
Gameblog 4/5
Metro GameCentral 9/10
Gametrailers 9.3/10
Ausgamers 8.7/10
PC Gamer No score yet
Vandal Online 9.2/10
Machinima 9/10
Jeux Video 17/20

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Crafty posted:

Reviews so far. Hype fulfillment.

OXM 8.5/10
OXM UK 9/10
Venturebeat 82/100
Polygon 9/10
EGM 10/10
Gamespot 9/10
Giantbomb's Not review No score yet
Rev3 5/5
Edge No score yet
IGN Norway 8.1/10
Videogamer 8/10
Gamereactor 9/10
Gamersglobal 8.5
Gamesradar 4/5
Joystiq 4.5/5
Gameinformer No score yet
Gameblog 4/5
Metro GameCentral 9/10
Gametrailers 9.3/10
Ausgamers 8.7/10
PC Gamer No score yet
Vandal Online 9.2/10
Machinima 9/10
Jeux Video 17/20

Not surprising as it is a good game, just a shame the the performance on The One is being independently reported as abysmal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Titanfall is receiving exactly the score it deserves; It is the multiplayer successor to Call of Duty Modern Warfare but without the budget to make all the touches and bevvy of poo poo like Singleplayer CoD has.

peter gabriel posted:

Not surprising as it is a good game, just a shame the the performance on The One is being independently reported as abysmal.

I played the beta for over 15 hours and I never had a single issue with the framerate except for a weird v-sync tear at the start of a few matches. I, in fairness, didn't play Last Titan Standing because that mode is terrible so I guess its not fair to say it can't have framerate issues but I definitely was in some huge 3v3 or higher mech fights and never had a framerate issue.

• Locked thread