Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Grand Fromage posted:

Hon tsuyu is the dipping sauce for cold soba noodles.

Wow. The lady at the store was terribly wrong. Guess I'll pick up some soba noodles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Declan MacManus posted:

I'm making a yorkshire pudding tonight and I just realized since I'm making it for two I made way too much batter. If I freeze the batter, will it keep? And for how long?

Frozen Yorkshires that are just foil cases filled with uncooked batter are a thing. It'll be good for a fair while.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Boris Galerkin posted:

My pressure cooker gets in today and the first thing I wanna do is convert all my frozen chicken carcasses into stock.

Do I need to thaw them out first?

You may want to so that you don't get frostbite from breaking all the long bones in half to release the delicious delicious marrow.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Alton Brown recommends wrapping sandwiches and letting them sit for a few hours at room temperature: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pan-bagnat-recipe.html

Isn't that "the danger zone" and a bad idea?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

ashgromnies posted:

Alton Brown recommends wrapping sandwiches and letting them sit for a few hours at room temperature: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pan-bagnat-recipe.html

Isn't that "the danger zone" and a bad idea?

25°C for 2 hours isn't going to grow anything.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

25°C for 2 hours isn't going to grow anything.

Except an appetite!

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Aerofallosov posted:

Wow. The lady at the store was terribly wrong. Guess I'll pick up some soba noodles.

What did the lady at the store say it was for?

You can use hon-tsuyu and dashi to make soup for hot soba too. Neither would be good for ramen really without a whole load of other ingredients, but if you had some cooking alcohol and soy sauce you could make ramen eggs using the tsuyu. You can also use it as a dipping sauce for tempura or for making egg dishes like egg donburi.

If you have mirin and soy sauce you could use the dashi to make hotpot dishes, beef stew, mixed rice dishes (where you cook the ingredients and rice together). If you want to get fancy you can mix a tiny bit with olive oil to use on bruschetta, set it as a gel and use it on salads (I think this doesn't work so well, but it's super popular in Japan so :shobon:), you can use it to make hitashi (sort of simmered/blanched fresh veggies). Oh and miso soup.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Rolled Cabbage posted:

What did the lady at the store say it was for?

You can use hon-tsuyu and dashi to make soup for hot soba too. Neither would be good for ramen really without a whole load of other ingredients, but if you had some cooking alcohol and soy sauce you could make ramen eggs using the tsuyu. You can also use it as a dipping sauce for tempura or for making egg dishes like egg donburi.

If you have mirin and soy sauce you could use the dashi to make hotpot dishes, beef stew, mixed rice dishes (where you cook the ingredients and rice together). If you want to get fancy you can mix a tiny bit with olive oil to use on bruschetta, set it as a gel and use it on salads (I think this doesn't work so well, but it's super popular in Japan so :shobon:), you can use it to make hitashi (sort of simmered/blanched fresh veggies). Oh and miso soup.

Well. I made the curry udon with it she suggested. But that was about it.

And those sound good. I've got some soy sauce. I need to grab some mirin. Thank you. :D

Shif
Aug 12, 2013
Anybody have any decent ideas for a member of the military that is confined to a barracks room with a small fridge (no freezer, mind you) and a microwave? I've tried tacos and a few others that didn't seem to work out that well. If I could somehow purchase a hotplate, would that help things?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Shif posted:

Anybody have any decent ideas for a member of the military that is confined to a barracks room with a small fridge (no freezer, mind you) and a microwave? I've tried tacos and a few others that didn't seem to work out that well. If I could somehow purchase a hotplate, would that help things?

Do you have access to a market or something, or are you looking for novel ways to combine honey roasted peanuts and cheetos?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Shif posted:

https://vimeo.com/35229150

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I don't care how good a cook someone is, if they use a lab beaker to pour out rice wine, they are a complete arse.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Scientastic posted:

I don't care how good a cook someone is, if they use a lab beaker to pour out rice wine, they are a complete arse.

How else are you supposed to measure something out though?

Shif
Aug 12, 2013

Drifter posted:

Do you have access to a market or something, or are you looking for novel ways to combine honey roasted peanuts and cheetos?

I do have a Commissary on base, trying to aim for healthy ways to maintain an active (lifting/running) lifestyle. Our unit PT's about 4 times a week, so I'm guessing a decent balance of calories and protein are in order.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I know this isn't a very gws answer, but can't you eat at the mess hall?

Shif
Aug 12, 2013

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I know this isn't a very gws answer, but can't you eat at the mess hall?

I'm on COMRATS, no meal card for me. Get around $310 a month to spend on food.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Invest a small amount of that in a rice cooker down at the px. There are a great number of meals that can be made with just a rice cooker.

Shif
Aug 12, 2013

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Invest a small amount of that in a rice cooker down at the px. There are a great number of meals that can be made with just a rice cooker.

So, a crock pot more or less? Or is it just a steamer for veggies?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Shif posted:

It is a cooker of rice.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I just realized I hosed up gravlax of all things.
Reversed the sugar:salt ratio. Awesome job, me...

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Mmm candied salmon?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Shif posted:

My rice cooker also has slow-cook and steamer settings. But it's mainly a rice cooker.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

No, the opposite. You're supposed to have more sugar than salt (or at least a 50/50 mix) and I went 2:1 salt over sugar instead.

Ah well, it's cured for only 24 hours now, so I haven't sampled it yet. Maybe it'll be passable. Wasn't meant for anything special, they just had salmon on sale for like $6.50 a lb so I grabbed a half fillet to gently caress around with.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 9, 2014

Shif
Aug 12, 2013

Drink and Fight posted:

My rice cooker also has slow-cook and steamer settings. But it's mainly a rice cooker.

Are they all the same? Perhaps there are brands I should steer clear of?

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Drifter posted:

But what I'd recommend if you have the hour or two is to take your frozen carcasses, feather them with oil, and then roast them at 450 F until they turn a bit goldeny. Roasting your stuff before you stock it really adds a nice flavor.

Is this worth doing if your carcasses are from an already roasted chicken? That is, even with 'cooked' bones is applying that direct heat going to provide a nice flavor?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

If he had a measured amount, he wouldn't be an arse. But using a lab beaker to pour out a rough amount by eye makes you an arse.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Scientastic posted:

If he had a measured amount, he wouldn't be an arse. But using a lab beaker to pour out a rough amount by eye makes you an arse.

No I'm pretty sure it's impossible to measure something without a lab beaker, stop being obstinate.

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008

No I'm pretty sure it's impossible to measure something without a lab beaker, stop being obstinate.

Beakers are hilarious inaccurate tools for measuring. The graduations are off by as much as 10-15% easily. A good liquid measuring cup is probably more accurate than a beaker.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
Anyone have a good traditional/plain southern cornbread recipe? I have 1 1/4 cups of leftover buttermilk to use up. I've only ever really had the sweet northern style so I want to see what the fuss is about, since every cornbread recipe I can find online has two pages of snarky "that's not cornbread" comments.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Comic posted:

Is this worth doing if your carcasses are from an already roasted chicken? That is, even with 'cooked' bones is applying that direct heat going to provide a nice flavor?

I would think it's a little different in that you're roasting more of the bones now, and not the meat, so it'll get hotter and cook more. I may be wrong on that and just making it up, but it's what I've done and it tastes different than just putting bone in from an already cooked chicken.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Cuddlebottom posted:

Anyone have a good traditional/plain southern cornbread recipe? I have 1 1/4 cups of leftover buttermilk to use up. I've only ever really had the sweet northern style so I want to see what the fuss is about, since every cornbread recipe I can find online has two pages of snarky "that's not cornbread" comments.

You'll need more buttermilk.

Use either 2 cups cornmeal or a mix of 1.5 to .5 cornmeal to wheat flour. Add a half teaspoon baking soda, teaspoon baking powder, teaspoon salt, and mix well. Crack in an egg and enough buttermilk to make a thick batter. Mix well. Get the oven to 425, and get a cast iron skillet hot. Put in a lot of bacon grease or lard and melt, then pour in your batter. Even it out, then into the oven for 20 minutes to half an hour, or when the top is brown and a toothpick in the middle comes out clean. Serve with butter or sorghum.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

With a graduated cylinder.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
What's the best way to evenly cook uneven portions of meat on a cast iron skillet? Like, chicken breasts have a thin half, about 1/4 of an inch, thickening up to about 1.5 inches on the other side. Should I have the flame lowered after the intial pan pre-heat so it only mainly heats the center of the pan, and just position the cut of meat thin side furthest from the flame, thick side closest to the middle?

Is there a better way?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Drifter posted:

What's the best way to evenly cook uneven portions of meat on a cast iron skillet? Like, chicken breasts have a thin half, about 1/4 of an inch, thickening up to about 1.5 inches on the other side. Should I have the flame lowered after the intial pan pre-heat so it only mainly heats the center of the pan, and just position the cut of meat thin side furthest from the flame, thick side closest to the middle?

Is there a better way?

Smash it with a heavy thing until the thickness is even.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Smash it with a heavy thing until the thickness is even.

So really the only way to cook uneven things evenly is sous vide and then a quick pan sear? (or I guess lowenslow in an oven)

I enjoy chicken breasts and their strangely prismatic triangular shape.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 9, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

You can also butterfly the chickenbreast. But thats just another way to give it a uniform thickness.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If I were to cook chicken then shred it up for sandwiches later on, how long would it last in the fridge?

Second question, would I get food poisoning if I grab some shredded chicken that was refridgerated for a few days, throw it on a sandwich and stuff it into a bag with a single ice pack and left in a car for 4ish hours?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Leal posted:

If I were to cook chicken then shred it up for sandwiches later on, how long would it last in the fridge?

Second question, would I get food poisoning if I grab some shredded chicken that was refridgerated for a few days, throw it on a sandwich and stuff it into a bag with a single ice pack and left in a car for 4ish hours?

5 days. Less if it smells off, more if you're feeling adventurous.

No.

Shif
Aug 12, 2013
I've never thought to keep chicken bones for marrow, but does it even taste good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Shif posted:

I've never thought to keep chicken bones for marrow, but does it even taste good?

yes. But there's not much marrow, you'de able to eat most of it while you're eating the chicken. I'd keep the bones for stock, though.