Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

Striking Yak posted:

If there's two of them, surely they should both show up on the test score leaderboards? If you were paying attention you wouldn't be in this mess, Goon! :argh:

Voting for B-ho. Sorry Miho, guess you just weren't very fortunate. :smug:
That's a very good point. It seems like the world only acknowledges one Miho! You'd think more people would know "oh yeah, the Shirayuki twins" or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Friar John posted:

That's a very good point. It seems like the world only acknowledges one Miho! You'd think more people would know "oh yeah, the Shirayuki twins" or something.

That's what I find hilarious about this run. Miho and B-ho keep switching personalities to opposite extremes, yet no one seems to notice enough to mention it. And Goon just rolls with it during the dates.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Catalina posted:

That's what I find hilarious about this run. Miho and B-ho keep switching personalities to opposite extremes, yet no one seems to notice enough to mention it. And Goon just rolls with it during the dates.

Tokimemo 4 parodies this somewhat mercilessly, and I can't wait to show it off :)

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
I have a question for ya, where are you getting your info from about some of the finer points of these games? I ask here because really where the hell else am I going to go to find stuff out about TokiMemo?

Like throughout the LP's of both games you often mention how "most FAQS" will tell you to do X or Y or reload if Z etc, but I can't find any of these FAQ's and I'd quite like to because any information I've found is woefully incomplete. All I can find is generic guides for English speakers to help them navigate and no real specifics for individual routes. I couldn't even find Ayako's stat requirements when I was going through her route, which basically resulted in me raising everything to 130 just to be absolutely sure. Trying to raise Guts to 130 resulted in me somehow ending the game with 300+ in Sports, go figure.

Whether it's in Japanese or not, I'd still like to know where you're finding this stuff since I'm considering trying Tatebayashi's route and I completely don't fancy trying to work out how to complete that one on my own.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Whether it's in Japanese or not, I'd still like to know where you're finding this stuff since I'm considering trying Tatebayashi's route and I completely don't fancy trying to work out how to complete that one on my own.

I am collecting together a few sources, all in Japanese.

1) I happen to own a few of the original Hibikino Watchers, which not provided the extra EVS discs, but also provide character profiles, likes/dislikes, etc.

2) A couple of my friends are providing me with old doujinshi that collect the wisdom of diligent fans from the turn of the century. It's like being advised by my ancestors.

3) I'm also making extensive use of Japanese online wikis. I can provide the links here, but be warned: as they are FAQs and guides, there WILL be nothing but spoilers on them if you want to explore them. So click/Google translate at your own risk! I'll provide the link to the Miharu guide, though.

Tokimeki Dictionary: Miharu

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

vibratingsheep posted:

I'm also making extensive use of Japanese online wikis.

Tokimeki Dictionary: Miharu

Oh, that's excellent. Thanks a bunch! The word "random" is being kicked around with worrying frequency on that page.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
I came in originally for cute frogs but honestly the times we've chatted with Miho she doesn't seem as interesting... Which might mean she's saving her personality reveals for later, but if the truth about the two of them doesn't come out until way later in the game that's a long time to put up with vague comments about fairies and little explanation of her real thoughts. So B-ho just because her dialog is somewhat more entertaining while getting to that point.

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010
I'm voting for Miho because I think she's a bit cuter and actually find her talking to fairies and naming her clothes somewhat endearing. Also I would rather be ignored than get the death glare unless B-ho is just being tsudere. If that ever did end up the case, I might reconsider, but from what we've seen of the two so far, I doubt that is happening.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

vibratingsheep posted:

Holy crap that's a lot of "go away" crammed in one picture

If Miho had the angry B-ho look this'd be just like real life! Hahaha

:smithicide:

Kimitsu posted:

The Girl's Side games also got a "Best Friend" option, where you can friend zone a guy. There are even endings for this where you have to reject another guy to get the confession scene from the friend.

Meanwhile, the girls in the first two GS games kind of hate your guts the instant they realize the guy they like likes you better.

The girls side games sound pretty interesting. Hopefully we can get to them after getting through the main series. :unsmigghh:

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

B-ho, because I can't say no to an rear end in a top hat.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

One last chance for my girl Miho. :frogc00l:

Shofra
Dec 19, 2012

Wait, you're not into this sort of thing, are you?
I just read through this thread over the past day, and I'm really enjoying the look into the TMM games I haven't played. I really hope you play at least one of the GS games so we can see the comparison to these (My vote is either 3 because it lacks an english patch, or 2 because I know it has a better selection than 1.) I particularly hope to see you play the Valentine's chocolate game and, assuming you'll play the DS (not PS2) version, for the best feature of the game...skinship, or as I call it, the true calling of the touchscreen. It is weird as hell.

Also, seeing as you are having some difficulties with the Miho/B-Ho conundrum, I have prepared some guides for you of the outfits we saw in the last update. I don't feel shame staring at a girl's chest.

There's no other way to put that one than "bigger chest". I think you'll be able to see it with the gif.

Putting them side by side reveals the differences readily enough, but the issue is, unless we reload and find the other one, we can't tell by sight alone with is which--especially in that second one, where I thought B-Ho was Miho at first glance. This basically means you'll have to figure it out each time until we get to the point where we've seen all the outfits and they repeat with the seasons (or at least, mostly repeat.)

...so good luck with that. :shrug:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Shofra posted:

I just read through this thread over the past day, and I'm really enjoying the look into the TMM games I haven't played. I really hope you play at least one of the GS games so we can see the comparison to these (My vote is either 3 because it lacks an english patch, or 2 because I know it has a better selection than 1.)

:science: The group that did an English translation patch for TMGS2 is pretty far along on a patch for TMGS3. The latest news on their forums is that it's almost time for them to pick out beta testers. They're not very public about it, because when they were doing the TMGS2 patch, they kept getting too many annoying messages demanding it be done sooner.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

I declared this thread as a Tokimemo megathread, and at this point I think I would be guilty of false advertising if I didn't play at least one of the Girl's Sides. I'm tempted to try a completely blind playthrough of it, but I don't know if that would be satisfying if I missed any fun events.

Meanwhile, I have updated the OP with the pervy convenient side-by-side comparisons of Miho and B-ho's bust sizes. I remember one old, fun theory from back in '99 - "maybe her personality changes when she puts in the pads".

Catalina
May 20, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

I declared this thread as a Tokimemo megathread, and at this point I think I would be guilty of false advertising if I didn't play at least one of the Girl's Sides. I'm tempted to try a completely blind playthrough of it, but I don't know if that would be satisfying if I missed any fun events.

Meanwhile, I have updated the OP with the pervy convenient side-by-side comparisons of Miho and B-ho's bust sizes. I remember one old, fun theory from back in '99 - "maybe her personality changes when she puts in the pads".

Personally, I think it would be fun to watch you do a blind run. TMGS 1, 2, and soon to be 3 can be played in English, unlike the mainline series. Plus, you're very familiar with the Tokimeki Memorial series, but haven't played Girl's Side yet, so your reactions would be fun to see.

I would recommend the 3rd one for PSP if possible since the third one has the most features, and the PSP release added more to it. (the English translation will also only be for the DS version of 3) Any are good, though!

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010
I already was considering mentioning the possibility of B-ho being self-conscious of her bust and stuffs if they were split personalities. But it also came to mind that maybe Miho is and binds instead.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Hang on guys... what if.. what if, stick with me here... B-ho is actually Miho, and Miho is actually B-ho? :tinfoil: ALL OF THESE LITTLE HINTS COULD SUDDENLY FLIP OUTTA NOWHERE AND GOON WOULD BE SCREWED!

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

ShichiNoBushi posted:

I already was considering mentioning the possibility of B-ho being self-conscious of her bust and stuffs if they were split personalities. But it also came to mind that maybe Miho is and binds instead.

No stop it shut up

Shofra
Dec 19, 2012

Wait, you're not into this sort of thing, are you?

Catalina posted:

Personally, I think it would be fun to watch you do a blind run. TMGS 1, 2, and soon to be 3 can be played in English, unlike the mainline series. Plus, you're very familiar with the Tokimeki Memorial series, but haven't played Girl's Side yet, so your reactions would be fun to see.

I would recommend the 3rd one for PSP if possible since the third one has the most features, and the PSP release added more to it. (the English translation will also only be for the DS version of 3) Any are good, though!

As much as I love more content...skinship. Don't tell me you don't want to see everyone react to skinship mode. Say it to my face. :colbert:

All that aside, 3 would be a good choice regardless of system for the mechanic they introduced in it with dating boys.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Shofra posted:

As much as I love more content...skinship. Don't tell me you don't want to see everyone react to skinship mode. Say it to my face. :colbert:
Do I want to know what a skinship is? It sounds...unpleasant. :gonk:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Haifisch posted:

You don't want to know.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ChaosArgate posted:

You don't want to know.

Well now I kinda do.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

Haifisch posted:

Do you not long for the unity of the Many?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Skinship's really just a super-unfortunate word for physical closeness as a cultural thing. It's definitely something America doesn't do much, we're way more into the whole 'bubble of personal space' thing.

EDIT: No idea what it's going to mean in the context of Tokimeki, though. PROBABLY SOMETHING WEIRD

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Voting for B-ho

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Shofra posted:

All that aside, 3 would be a good choice regardless of system for the mechanic they introduced in it with dating boys.

I had forgotten they had placed skinship with another minigame for the PSP version. I think my brain was trying to erase it from memory because if you fill up all the hearts in the PSP version, you enter the also-unfortunately-named Climax Mode. :stonklol:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Haifisch posted:

It's mostly just physical closeness, but when people refer to 'skinship' in anything vaguely Japanese related, they mean stuff like 'one girl groping another in a bath to check out their breast size' or something like that.

Because apparently women do that in Japan.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Clayren posted:

Do you not long for the unity of the Many?

What is a stick of pocky, compared to the whole box? What is a doujin, compared to a convention? Our unity is full of otaku, which your tiny individualism... cannot even bathe.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.

vibratingsheep posted:

If you haven't taken up Jenner's offer of the DS games (whether due to convenience or lack of hardware), I do have a copy of the PSP version for TMGS3. (I assume you have a PSP for the fourth game at least. Or I suppose you could just emulate them.) I'm all too happy to go through the second, third, and fourth games first before that becomes a concern, though.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Creepy Dead Space talk aside, I'm closing the poll - we're going after the extra character, B-ho on this run! B-ho won by just about a 2:1 margin, so it seems like frogs will have to take a back seat in this particular play-through.

The good thing is that I can use a lot of these save games and show off a lot of the Miho events in this route, since the natural flow of the game will lead to a lot of Miho events. This includes being able to go back and show off the Miho ending without too much extra work.

Two bad things:

1) If Takumi falls for Miho, the B-ho route becomes impossible because the B-ho route requires an event that can only occur if Takumi does not meddle. So we're going to have to do a lot of giblo :(
2) Miho's affection needs to be good for B-ho to show up, but it can't be higher than B-ho's affection or B-ho won't show up for certain events like the sports festival, which are determined by affection and not random chance. This may force the intentional bombing tactic to make Miho like Goon less, since the only safe school day activity is drama club (if you slack off and sleep, Homura shows up!)

But that's all stuff I can and will take care of - especially since I want to rewind time and unmeet Miyuki on the current run anyway.

Next post should be Tuesday:

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 10, 2014

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

vibratingsheep posted:

Creepy Dead Space talk aside, I'm closing the poll

System Shock 2, dude. System Shock 2. You gotta know your roots here. :colbert:

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

InfiniteJesters posted:

System Shock 2, dude. System Shock 2. You gotta know your roots here. :colbert:

In my feeble defense, I've only been able to play first person shooters in the HD console era - anything with a chunky frame rate made me puke, so pretty much everything before Halo on the Xbox is a mystery to me :(

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

vibratingsheep posted:

In my feeble defense, I've only been able to play first person shooters in the HD console era - anything with a chunky frame rate made me puke, so pretty much everything before Halo on the Xbox is a mystery to me :(

I know that feeling. The early portions of Jedi Outcast, where you're forced to play 1st person, always made me nauseous if I played too long. Thankfully using the lightsaber in that game takes you to 3rd person mode, which didn't have that problem.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

vibratingsheep posted:

Mmmm, fair enough, fair enough. I think System Shock 2's frame rate in the GOG/Steam releases is decent, though, but I digress.

On a more on-topically-anime-and-choppy-frame-rate-related note, I saw Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and while it was a nice film dear LORD did it show its age. :v: I dunno which was more '80s, the choppy pre-CGI-era animation or the synthesizer soundtrack.

On a wholly on-topic note, gently caress YEAH B-HO.

TaxEvader
Apr 28, 2013

ShichiNoBushi posted:

It is more likely that Miho has an eating disorder, being the thinnest girl in the game (official BMI 16.84, low even in Japan). Only one girl out of the main characters falls in the normal range, and that at the lower end.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Ok, I think it's time to stop this train of thought now.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Catalina posted:

Ok, I think it's time to stop this train of thought now.

Agreed!

vibratingsheep posted:

This may force the intentional bombing tactic to make Miho like Goon less, since the only safe school day activity is drama club (if you slack off and sleep, Homura shows up!)

On this note, do Miho and B-Ho have separate stats on the "table of bombing?" That is, do they like certain girls more or less independently? I'm curious how you could bomb Miho without bombing B-Ho the same or worse.

Poulpe fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 10, 2014

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Poulpe posted:

On this note, do Miho and B-Ho have separate stats on the "table of bombing?" That is, do they like certain girls more or less independently? I'm curious how you could bomb Miho without bombing B-Ho the same or worse.

B-ho does not get affected by bombs. It'll all make sense at the end, I promise.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

vibratingsheep posted:

In my feeble defense, I've only been able to play first person shooters in the HD console era - anything with a chunky frame rate made me puke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

vibratingsheep posted:

B-ho does not get affected by bombs. It'll all make sense at the end, I promise.
Interesting. Does she go to a different school? I'm too lazy to go back and see if we ever see B-ho at school.

• Locked thread