Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Are there any decent 2boxing programs out the besides paying for isboxer? I remember playing with something like wineq a long eretime ago and pl'ing my druid with my rogue until the druid got far enough along to turnabout then group.

Now that I'm back home, is there a decent place to level molo'ing with my tank merc at 46 (rogue)? Somewhere without a much of a chance of getting adds or at most pulling yellow con mobs in pair (which I can usually dump off on my merc). I was in Goru'kar Mesa from 45-46, but read a bit on PoJustice pulling to the ZO (which I guess means Zone Out?) I never made it to the Planes before when I played so this actually seems like fun and I am not worried about loot as much as decent exp.

Thanks a bunch for any help. It's amazing how many dead links there are to EQ stuff when I try to google :-).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I always disliked PoJ in modern EQ since there's enough mobs for the old era at the zone out but not enough to keep a good pace going. Try...Veksar, Sebilis, Crypt of Nadox or something along those lines. Plenty of mobs and usually not busy.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Stanos posted:

I always disliked PoJ in modern EQ since there's enough mobs for the old era at the zone out but not enough to keep a good pace going. Try...Veksar, Sebilis, Crypt of Nadox or something along those lines. Plenty of mobs and usually not busy.

They all sound good. Is it true you don't have to have a key to OSeb any more? I know the quest (tough w/out a tracker), but understood that a lot of old zones don't need keys but are usable with simply having a high enough lvl.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

You don't need a key if you're a certain level, can't remember what it is though.

Also whoever nevcro(?) was in game, internet died I can keep PLing you later. 1-80 in an hour woo woo

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Midnight City posted:

You don't need a key if you're a certain level, can't remember what it is though.

Also whoever nevcro(?) was in game, internet died I can keep PLing you later. 1-80 in an hour woo woo

Yeah that was pretty nuts. I think I want to fart around at 80 a bit and see the sights before I bug you again for more levels.

Related question:

Specialization for necros - conjuration then alteration, or alteration then conjuration?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
e: nevermind

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Alteration primary IIRC

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Full info about heroic characters here:

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/heroic-characters-begin-their-adventures-in-norrath-on-march-12.208798/

Think I'm going to boost up a Wizard on my 3rd account, can always use that for ports and such.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 8, 2014

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I believe 46 is the cutoff to get into sebilis without a key. Speaking of 46, Plane of Hate is nice too if you don't mind the long rear end wait to med and/or have good ways to interrupt heals. If you don't, just stay away from the clerics of hate. Good money for the level too from gems and armor you can turn in at the PoK for more gems/xp.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Pilsner posted:

Full info about heroic characters here:

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/heroic-characters-begin-their-adventures-in-norrath-on-march-12.208798/

Think I'm going to boost up a Wizard on my 3rd account, can always use that for ports and such.

Think I'm going to use my freebie on a mage. Gave mine away to a dude that later blew his loving stack playing LoL with us and disappeared off the planet. Didn't really like the mage, but they're pretty useful and I think I have every other class except warrior, rogue, and zerker at 90+ already anyway. My Bst is kinda scrubby though and a new elf one might be nice...

Definitely recommend wizard if you don't have one already. The ports are just the best poo poo and they box really, really well. Absolutely obscene damage for how dirt easy they are to play. Seeing ol' Gumbercules drop over 1mil damage from me pressing one key was almost enough to make me drop my necro :stare: It's absurdly fun to see big numbers

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Is it one free per account?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

My Zone Level Chart can help you find XP zones. There's also a column with the required level or key, if any, to enter.

At 46 I'd hit up Howling Stones and just grind through the wings. Very easy, good loot (at least it feels awesome to just casually loot a Bloodpoint or a Sash of the Dragonborn :) ), and nostalgic. You can XP to around level 55 in there.

Medullah posted:

Is it one free per account?
"For accounts created before Nov 8, 2013, the free Heroic Character option is available one time per account.

For accounts created on or after Nov 8, 2013, the free Heroic Character option is available one time per household"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Pilsner posted:

My Zone Level Chart can help you find XP zones. There's also a column with the required level or key, if any, to enter.

At 46 I'd hit up Howling Stones and just grind through the wings. Very easy, good loot (at least it feels awesome to just casually loot a Bloodpoint or a Sash of the Dragonborn :) ), and nostalgic. You can go to level 55 in there.

"For accounts created before Nov 8, 2013, the free Heroic Character option is available one time per account.

For accounts created on or after Nov 8, 2013, the free Heroic Character option is available one time per household"

Thanks, not sure how I missed that.

Hmmm...tempting to come back to my 4 freebie accounts on Test and create a new wrecking crew for a bit...

edit - Would there be any disadvantage to creating the "Heroic" character on a live server and then /testcopying them?

Medullah fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 9, 2014

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

None at all and I missed the obvious part about it being per-account for older accounts, so my new plan is Froglok monk + WE Bst + <something>

You can do whatever you want on live, then testcopy at any point and end up on the fun server that requires no money while still having all your poo poo.

God help you if you want to raid though, most of the last 20 pages of this thread is pretty clear on what to expect when you come to Test and join my guild to raid (tears and disappointment sometimes offset by our raid leader getting so drunk he passes out in his own front lawn and doesn't come back from "gonna get the mail brb" for 4 hours)

Edit - We also have literally no general-chat LFG groups, so if you just want to play your one character and meet new pubbies, this sure as hell ain't the place. Everyone just has 4-6 characters each here and does their own thing unless you join a guild. Mine has some groups going pretty frequently for those of us who don't feel like boxing, but it doesn't happen in general chat almost ever. It's totally make-some-friends-or-play-alone on Test

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 9, 2014

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

MrTheDevious posted:

None at all and I missed the obvious part about it being per-account for older accounts, so my new plan is Froglok monk + WE Bst + <something>

You can do whatever you want on live, then testcopy at any point and end up on the fun server that requires no money while still having all your poo poo.

God help you if you want to raid though, most of the last 20 pages of this thread is pretty clear on what to expect when you come to Test and join my guild to raid (tears and disappointment sometimes offset by our raid leader getting so drunk he passes out in his own front lawn and doesn't come back from "gonna get the mail brb" for 4 hours)

Edit - We also have literally no general-chat LFG groups, so if you just want to play your one character and meet new pubbies, this sure as hell ain't the place. Everyone just has 4-6 characters each here and does their own thing unless you join a guild. Mine has some groups going pretty frequently for those of us who don't feel like boxing, but it doesn't happen in general chat almost ever. It's totally make-some-friends-or-play-alone on Test

Oh I'm familiar with the pros and cons of Test, I played for a bit last year for my annual nostalgia kick. I just wasn't sure how the heroics were gonna work out, if there was some weirdness that wouldn't let them copy correctly, which I see no reason why not...but figured I'd ask.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Do heroic characters come with Epics ? I would assume they don't. Any level 85 would be able solo their Epic 1.0 - What about the Epic 1.5 or 2.0 - how soloable/moloable are they for a level 85 ?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Baconroll posted:

Do heroic characters come with Epics ? I would assume they don't. Any level 85 would be able solo their Epic 1.0 - What about the Epic 1.5 or 2.0 - how soloable/moloable are they for a level 85 ?

Everything in the 1.0-bypass, 1.5, and 2.0 is easy to solo at that level. EXCEPT for the final orb from CoA. You'll want help from a higher character or a small group to kill CoA bosses as epicless 85-90s in heroic gear.

A well geared 95 SK with an epic can sleep through getting CoA orbs. But without an epic and 5-10 levels lower, I'd bet on the mobs winning 90% of those fights.

For 85s in heroic gear, about a group would be safe. One or two less at 90.

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 9, 2014

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
How does upgrading an existing character to Heroic work? Does it just dump all the new equipment in bags on your cursor similar to /testbuff? Don't want to overwrite my dude completely, since he has some good higher gear in his parcels that I'd like to save.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
It gives you a reward window with all the gear, you can accept the reward and it drops everything into your inventory.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I am a bit confused. Will the heroic character be an upgrade from an existing character or one created new? I have my main as a rogue, but was hoping to make a heroic mage or wizard so I could play him completely off the rails of how I usually play.

Which is it?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

DerekSmartymans posted:

I am a bit confused. Will the heroic character be an upgrade from an existing character or one created new? I have my main as a rogue, but was hoping to make a heroic mage or wizard so I could play him completely off the rails of how I usually play.

Which is it?

If you create a new character, there's an option on there to make it heroic - see the green button on the right.

There is also a button on character select to upgrade one of your existing heroes to heroic - button on the left.

You must have had the account prior to November (13?) 2013 to be eligible, so that people didn't make a million accounts just for heroics. And I'm pretty sure it's just on Test for now.

Edit: the date is for being eligible for one free heroic. Everyone can buy them for Station Cash.

Devor fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 10, 2014

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

New model user spotted :(

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

RCarr posted:

Unless you're a human, who can use mounts with old graphics, or a bard that can selos all the time, you'll need some of the new models turned on for mounts.

I also think it's funny we still call them new models, even though those models were released at the end of 2001. I call them the new models too so I'm not making fun of you or anything.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Half the reason of using Macroquest is to use mounts with old models. The other half is for knowing where people are in the zone to train them effectively.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

RCarr posted:

My troll SK still only rides his horse while in skeleton form from the Pact of Hate lines. gently caress the leggy trolls. The real OGs are pear shaped.

That troll carries so many fond memories.

90+ days played and only level 66 though :smithicide:

Coming back after 10 years is like meeting an old friend again :unsmith:

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 10, 2014

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Midnight City posted:

Half the reason of using Macroquest is to use mounts with old models. The other half is for knowing where people are in the zone to train them effectively.

I just have AoNs for all my characters to be able to mount up without loading more models.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Just as a warning, I've had some difficulty creating heroic characters right off the character creation screen. On two of my accounts I've ended up with a ranger instead of a rogue and a wizard instead of a necro. Upgrading a pre-existing character works fine, though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

So I think I'm going to reinstall just to get the free Heroics. I have 4 accounts from my test craziness days. A mage and shaman. On one account I have a Necro, Bard and a Druid. On the other account, a cleric and a SK. What would be the best 2 to upgrade to go with the Shaman and Mage? I was thinking Bard just because he's my most loved character, or the Necro because he was my first. :). Goal is to have a wrecking crew around for dinking around in old world content when I get the itch to play again.

Ooh I forgot I have another account too that I had no real use for, I think I'll put a wizard on that account to port the group around.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
What programs are available for multi-boxing? Does WinEQ still work (what I used back in 2002) or is isboxer the only choice?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

acumen posted:

Just as a warning, I've had some difficulty creating heroic characters right off the character creation screen. On two of my accounts I've ended up with a ranger instead of a rogue and a wizard instead of a necro. Upgrading a pre-existing character works fine, though.

Creating new ones worked fine for rogue and bard for me

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I discovered tonight you can delete a heroic character and make another. Do this at your own risk though as a few others claimed to have it bug up on them. I had initially made my 81 ench into a heroic char and then decided later I wanted a shaman more for my team. So I deleted the ench and my heroic character button greened up again and I was able to make a heroic shammy from the creation screen :v:

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

So, if I'm duoing a necro and a mage, what's the best option for the second merc, a wizard or warrior?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

No More Heroes posted:

I discovered tonight you can delete a heroic character and make another. Do this at your own risk though as a few others claimed to have it bug up on them. I had initially made my 81 ench into a heroic char and then decided later I wanted a shaman more for my team. So I deleted the ench and my heroic character button greened up again and I was able to make a heroic shammy from the creation screen :v:

Thanks for this. Man, I need a freaking notepad file to keep track of all my accounts/characters now.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Carl Seitan posted:

So, if I'm duoing a necro and a mage, what's the best option for the second merc, a wizard or warrior?

Wizard unless you just can't be assed to pet tank, in which case there's probably better duos

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
What is gear like on the heroic characters ? Is it just level appropriate defiant, or better quality group or raid level equipment ?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Baconroll posted:

What is gear like on the heroic characters ? Is it just level appropriate defiant, or better quality group or raid level equipment ?

Tier 1 House of Thule gear, that is like 50 hp/3 ac/etc. less than its equal. They're all named after that gear, with Heroic added in front of it. Like the Heroic Jumping Axe has a couple less damage than the actual Jumping Axe drop, and a tiny bit less ac, HEM, and mod2s.

dinnerrollofdoom
Jan 30, 2014
Man... If only they would add a hardcore pvp progressive server like they had with Sullon Zek

Oh... the good ol days.

I would be back in a flash! lol

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

dinnerrollofdoom posted:

Man... If only they would add a hardcore pvp progressive server like they had with Sullon Zek

Oh... the good ol days.

I would be back in a flash! lol

lol!

Zek is like, the second lowest population server next to Trakanon. You'd get bored after the initial rush dies down, or sick of people exploiting to kill you.

Even project 99 red's population is horrible, compared to the blue server. Those days of EQ PVP are long gone.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Node posted:

lol!

Zek is like, the second lowest population server next to Trakanon. You'd get bored after the initial rush dies down, or sick of people exploiting to kill you.

Even project 99 red's population is horrible, compared to the blue server. Those days of EQ PVP are long gone.

MMO PVP is a much different thing than it was back in the original Rallos Zek days. I played Everquest hard core, then stopped all games until I played Star Wars: The Old Republic. "PVP" there is purely a zero risk, 100% reward - you play in specially designated PVP arenas and there is no downside if you lose - you get money and experience for doing it. Much, much different than the EQ days where you lost money and an item if you were killed. People these days don't want PVP with risk...maybe SOME do, but the vast majority want a nice, safe MMO.

Even PVE in that game is almost no risk...no XP loss if you die, no corpse runs, nothing. And from what I understand, WoW is like that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I am buying the new expansion today. Does this include RoF? Is there a giant download (sat internet dl cap is tiny) or do I already have it and I'll just be activating it?