Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

This was a while ago but we were having a discussion about PC racing games in the Gran Turismo/Forza style awhile back and I thought I would report back.

Dirt 3 is pretty but the unskippable tutorial dialogue made me indescribable angry and I didn't get very far in it. Test Drive Unlimited 2 has a cheesy story and you have to spend forever tweaking the controls before you can really get into it, but the biggest annoyance was that it sat on connecting to server forever each time I tried to start it up.

I just picked up Need For Speed: Shift in the steam weekend sale and it's finally scratching the itch for "almost zen racing cars then unlocking poo poo and upgrading cars to race more cars to unlock poo poo" gaming. I like how you level up based on your performance in both precision and aggression. I'll have to pick up Shift 2 at some point. I haven't come across anything challenging like the S License tests but it's pretty early too.

I have my eye on that Assetto Corsa game but they want waaayyy too much for an early access game, even on sale... maybe one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Does anyone have any good hacking games they're recommend? Bonus points for any realism or multilayer.

Edit: added multiplayer request

MohawkSatan fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 9, 2014

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

MohawkSatan posted:

Does anyone have any good hacking games they're recommend? Bonus points for any realism.

In the "realism" category: https://www.hackthissite.org/

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

MohawkSatan posted:

Does anyone have any good hacking games they're recommend? Bonus points for any realism.

Uplink is probably the gold standard, although not at all "real". I played a multiplayer browser game called SlaveHack a long time ago, but I have no idea if it's still going. That was a lot of fun, though.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

MohawkSatan posted:

Does anyone have any good hacking games they're recommend? Bonus points for any realism or multilayer.

Edit: added multiplayer request

For something that's actually legit hacking? https://microcorruption.com/

They're known as "CTF" or "Capture the Flag" sites.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
This probably sounds really dumb and esoteric but I love games that give me a good visual feedback on all the loot and stuff I've hoarded, whether it be a strategy or RPG game. Like, stacks of gold, guns, armor on display, whatever. Outside of Bethesda stuff, are there any other games that offer that?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Thompsons posted:

This probably sounds really dumb and esoteric but I love games that give me a good visual feedback on all the loot and stuff I've hoarded, whether it be a strategy or RPG game. Like, stacks of gold, guns, armor on display, whatever. Outside of Bethesda stuff, are there any other games that offer that?

Obviously any good house mod for Bethesda stuff will do a great job of showing that off. One of my favorite things to do in Fallout NV is look at my nicely auto-stocked shelves :)

The Stalker games show your inventory with visual items taking up slots a la Resident Evil. You can build up a nice chest of loot with inventory visuals.

Fable 3 had a treasury room that filled or emptied with gold that you could walk around in, but it was a terrible game in most repsects. Don't play it.

Minecraft/Terraria/Starbound are fun to collect stuff and then place that stuff on display. Starbound especially has a wide variety of decorative elements to collect from dungeons and display on your customizable ship.

Sid Meier's Pirates (remake) has a bunch of stat-boosting items to collect, some of which are displayed on the character and all of which are displayed on a collections screen with a nice picture.

Civ 3 (another bad game you should not buy) had an "expand your palace" mechanic that unlocked new graphics for your palace as you progressed in the game.

Maaybe Rockstar games that generally do a good job of showing off trophies of your exploits?

Now that I think of it, not many games do a good job of visually showing off your loot, do they?

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.

Thompsons posted:

Payday 2 puts all your stuff - modded-up guns, customised masks, huge piles of cash - on display in your safehouse. Example

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Thompsons posted:

The Impressions city-building series do this really well. If your industry is overproducing goods, you'll see your warehouses overflow with supplies. Pharaoh might be the prettiest game in the series.
Here's a warehouse full of linen ready to be exported:

Here's my quarry sector anticipating a large pyramid project:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Bouchacha posted:

The Impressions city-building series do this really well. If your industry is overproducing goods, you'll see your warehouses overflow with supplies. Pharaoh might be the prettiest game in the series.

Looks like a bit of a prettier version of stronghold crusader. Probably not what you're looking for Thompsons but you can physically see everything you produce.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Bouchacha posted:

I wish Pharaoh used an area-based system for service coverage instead of the frustrating-as-gently caress walkers, or at least that the walkers were smarter and easier to control. I would probably still play the hell out of it if it was just a little less annoying to deal with.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Supraluminal posted:

I wish Pharaoh used an area-based system for service coverage instead of the frustrating-as-gently caress walkers, or at least that the walkers were smarter and easier to control. I would probably still play the hell out of it if it was just a little less annoying to deal with.

The walker system is indeed really annoying and probably the only reason I stayed away from the series for so long. That said, you can significantly mitigate the annoyance with some clever housing blocks. Here's a youtube description of the one I use for Pharaoh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPDdbrlRSg0
And here it is in action with slight modifications, it's super stable:

Most of the housing blocks for Zeus are also very stable and easy to set up. Caesar 3 is just annoying, as this was before 'roadblocks' was a feature. No one really talks about Emperor.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Bouchacha posted:

The walker system is indeed really annoying and probably the only reason I stayed away from the series for so long. That said, you can significantly mitigate the annoyance with some clever housing blocks. Here's a youtube description of the one I use for Pharaoh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPDdbrlRSg0

Most of the housing blocks for Zeus are also very stable and easy to set up. Caesar 3 is just annoying, as this was before 'roadblocks' was a feature. No one really talks about Emperor.

I mean yeah, you can do what you need to do to get it to work, it just always felt like a lovely compromise to me. I'd rather be able to build a more organic-looking city and have it work out OK. If they just had walkers prioritize paths with high demand instead of taking random turns, that might have been enough.

e: To be clear I still love Pharaoh and would encourage anyone who feels up to grappling with some dated UI to give it a shot. There's a lot to like, and I was happy to put up with the lousy walkers to enjoy the rest of the game back in the day.

Supraluminal fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 10, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Thompsons posted:

This is definitely not dumb. I love pretty much any game that allows me to have a place of refuge that continuously improves along with my character(s) to reinforce how badass I have become. Elder Scrolls games are pretty much top of the heap for this.

I'd also like to know of any other games that do this kind of thing.

What about the Strongholds in the Baldur's Gate games? Do those get better over time or do you just get them at a point and it's yours forever and static.

edit: Now that I think about it, Assassin's Creed 2 gives you a mansion and surrounding village that constantly improves over the course of the game. You also get to invest in parts of it that increase your income over time. It definitely scratches the itch you're talking about.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Bouchacha posted:

Which is weird because Emperor is really, really good. It's easily my favorite of the Impressions city builders--you don't have to fart around with roadblocks since you can just slap down a town gate and say "This walker is allowed through here and this walker is not." I like Pharaoh too but it's so hard to go back to it and its walker management after playing Emperor.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Genpei Turtle posted:

Which is weird because Emperor is really, really good. It's easily my favorite of the Impressions city builders--you don't have to fart around with roadblocks since you can just slap down a town gate and say "This walker is allowed through here and this walker is not." I like Pharaoh too but it's so hard to go back to it and its walker management after playing Emperor.

That's great to hear, I now have enough of a game list to last me at least until fall.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Banished also has the stores stockpiling that you guys are showing in the pics. You also get to see more people about as your city grows as well as more cattle if you have them as they breed.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Suspicious Dish posted:

For something that's actually legit hacking? https://microcorruption.com/

They're known as "CTF" or "Capture the Flag" sites.

Whoa, this is super cool. Know any similar ones aimed at complete beginners to programming?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Just for fun, here's a 29 page academic paper examining the behavior of Pharaoh's walkers: http://people.umass.edu/ssimkins/ambulom2ed.pdf

:psyduck:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Remember the Commander function in Battlefield 2? I'd like to have an experience like that, except more modern because giving orders with the BF2 Commander interface was really bad.

I want to have a map with dots representing my teammates where I can select them and tell them where to go, then yell at everyone on the microphone about how they're pushing up our right side and 3 squad needs to rotate South to protect our spawn.

I heard Arma 3 has this kind of experience and can work well (my computer can handle it according to the sys reqs), but I've heard that the playercount isn't very good and that the number of mods have really split whatever community the game has. I could be wrong, but this is my impression of things.

Recommend me a game pls.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
I'm on a Chromebook and having trouble finding games that will work with the Chrome OS/hardware and don't suck. I spend most of my time playing on chess.com but I've had some good times with Atomic Brawl and Running Fred. I miss escaping into something competitive that requires a lot of teamwork and coordination, but I'm open to any suggestions

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Love Stole the Day posted:

Remember the Commander function in Battlefield 2? I'd like to have an experience like that, except more modern because giving orders with the BF2 Commander interface was really bad.

I want to have a map with dots representing my teammates where I can select them and tell them where to go, then yell at everyone on the microphone about how they're pushing up our right side and 3 squad needs to rotate South to protect our spawn.

I heard Arma 3 has this kind of experience and can work well (my computer can handle it according to the sys reqs), but I've heard that the playercount isn't very good and that the number of mods have really split whatever community the game has. I could be wrong, but this is my impression of things.

Recommend me a game pls.

You could always try being a fleet commander on EVE?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Recommend me a game pls.

Natural selection 2.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Recommend me a game pls.

I've been sort of doing this in Arma 2. There's a mission called Patrol Ops 2, designed for multiplayer, and you can hire on AI soldiers and tell them what to do and where to go. You are limited to controlling 9 dudes total I believe. I've been having my team of friends (who do not coordinate well all the time) go into a mission and I stay back at base, loading up a few ground vehicles or CAS with AI, then I send them in as support if they need it. If you're out of line of sight, though, you have to rely on the map and your imagination to give them orders, there's no flying your camera over the battlefield or anything. You can, however, HALO drop somewhere near the action and get a visual that way. While joining in the action of course.

There's also a mode called "Warfare" which inserts RTS features into Arma, and a game called Carrier Command (same company, same clunky engine), designed for single player, which is much more of a hybrid RTS.

Also I would say that if you're looking for a great co-op RTS in general where you are constantly coordinating action, you might check out AI War: Fleet Command.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 12, 2014

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Just helped my roommate with a brand new build, he's requested "a pretty RPG that is not Skyrim" and I'm drawing a blank. Goons, help?!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

black.lion posted:

Just helped my roommate with a brand new build, he's requested "a pretty RPG that is not Skyrim" and I'm drawing a blank. Goons, help?!

Morrowind with a shitton of mods?

Serious answer: The Witcher 2 is probably the gold standard for a Not Skyrim RPG that will push the envelope on your PC, at least until later this year.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I think he's played that as well, but I'll definitely suggest it. What's coming out later this year?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

black.lion posted:

I think he's played that as well, but I'll definitely suggest it. What's coming out later this year?

Dark Souls 2 is really pretty.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

black.lion posted:

Witcher 3 is delayed sadly, but there's still a new Dragon Age, and Dark Souls II coming. Also a whole ton of highly anticipated titles that won't push pixels as hard like the various Kickstarter RPG's (Wasteland 2, Torment, Eternity), Child of Light, etc. etc. etc.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Rift is great looking and so is the new FFXIV if those are his bag.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
What are some quiz/trivia games with online multiplayer? Anything on browser/PC would be best.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I've been on an ARPG kick recently. Are there any ARPGs that are as flexible as Path of Exile while being a little more transparent and forgiving?

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What are some good open world RPGs where you get to be an rear end in a top hat thief/archer? I know there's got to be tons of good ones, but it's hard knowing where to start.

Not a big fan of turn based games. I want things like Skyrim or Two Worlds 2.

Blast of Confetti fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 14, 2014

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Blast of Confetti posted:

What are some good open world RPGs where you get to be an rear end in a top hat thief/archer? I know there's got to be tons of good ones, but it's hard knowing where to start.

Theif?

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is Thief open world? I figured it was a mission to mission game. I just can't get in to RPGs unless I get to gently caress around in a field for half an hour before bothering with the mission.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Is Thief open world? I figured it was a mission to mission game. I just can't get in to RPGs unless I get to gently caress around in a field for half an hour before bothering with the mission.

not really? It's mission based in that you just go from place to place, but each mission has a large open-world-ey level for you to dick around in and find poo poo.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

black.lion posted:

What about Stalker? The newest one is a few years old, but it's very pretty out of the box and even prettier once modded.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rivensteel posted:

What about Stalker? The newest one is a few years old, but it's very pretty out of the box and even prettier once modded.

Oh gently caress, I keep somehow forgetting the Stalker series exists. It's not medieval, but it's always looked interesting enough for me to want to try it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

I've been on an ARPG kick recently. Are there any ARPGs that are as flexible as Path of Exile while being a little more transparent and forgiving?

Torchlight 2. Also diablo 3 just got a huge patch that makes it worth playing again and an expansion drops in 2 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

StashAugustine posted:

Not sure what you mean by flexible, but I would suggest Marvel Heroes. A lot of dudes to be clicked in that game.