Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Whether a car does that or not depends on how much gases are being forced through the exhaust system. At high RPM, the fuel is still in burn when valves open. If there's a lot gases being pushed through the pipes, the velocity of it increases a lot and creates a wake effect accelerating the gases even more, dragging the flames to the outside. That's why car makers intentionally design constrictions in the exhaust system, to accelerate gases aiding the evacuation of the gases in the engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

webmeister posted:

The P1 has a blue flame thing going on with the exhaust as well, like at about 45 seconds onwards:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t1L5ShVR8w

Maybe it's something specific to the hybrid motors that the 918 and the P1 use?

A few cars will blow blue flames on the overrun, even non exotica. Factors like heat of the exhaust (glowing exhausts pretty much guarenttee flame), amount of unburnt fuel etc . Rotarys are notorious for it, my basically stock at the time Series II blew impressive flames when on a track or on a quiet night somewhere dark with corners. WRX's do it too and even my Commodore has burped a few. It's not just a supercar thing or a tuned like all gently caress engine thing either - most turbo cars will do it when you give them heaps, moreso with a big open exhaust. Hugely hot exhausts, bit of unburnt fuel, good chance of spitting flames.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 7, 2014

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Or just some LEDs :rice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ5qhht1AIQ

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

BOOMZhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I like this more than I should. I should install one on my wife's Focus.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Apparently Top Gear US is filming in Gainesville Florida tomorrow. I am down here for a wedding and saw a bunch of no parking signs downtown for it. Not really a fan of the US one, but it might be interesting to stop by and see what they are doing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Negromancer posted:

Apparently Top Gear US is filming in Gainesville Florida tomorrow. I am down here for a wedding and saw a bunch of no parking signs downtown for it. Not really a fan of the US one, but it might be interesting to stop by and see what they are doing.

You should film yourself shouting that they suck and UK Top Gear is so much better and why are they even trying? Then you high five all your bros and post it on reddit to get all the upvotes.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

So the last two episodes are the Burma bullshit. We'll see you in July, though, for the poo poo you really wanted to see.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

fyodor posted:

So the last two episodes are the Burma bullshit. We'll see you in July, though, for the poo poo you really wanted to see.
No, we'll see you in 5 minutes for the poo poo you really wanted to see. :colbert:

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Wow the first half of the Burma special is fantastic. Not as much silly as the last couple has been. I think this will rank ultimately right behind Vietnam for the best special they have ever done.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Burma looks a bit poo poo. i'd also like them to do a special like this in bowlers or something mental and fun.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh poo poo it's Sunday already... does the proxy trick still work with the iPlayer?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I think this might be the best special they've done, man. Awesome stuff, funny jokes, the truck modifications are awesome, etc.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
I was surprised that we got the "CLARRRKKSSSOOONN!" in this episode instead of waiting for the beginning of next one, like the Africa special.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Seems like they're trying to do the India special again, only funny this time.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Data Graham posted:

Seems like they're trying to do the India special again, only funny this time.

They're succeeding. Fantastic special so far.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Djarum posted:

I think this will rank ultimately right behind Vietnam for the best special they have ever done.
Bolivia is still my favorite, but Vietnam's right up there. I'm holding off on this one until part two airs so I can watch them both together, but I'm very encouraged by the responses so far.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bolivia remains my favorite largely because the soundtrack elevates it to a level no others match. It's the only Top Gear thing that's made me go out and spend money on whole albums.

I can't bear to watch it in the export version with the genericized music. :(

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Data Graham posted:

Bolivia remains my favorite largely because the soundtrack elevates it to a level no others match. It's the only Top Gear thing that's made me go out and spend money on whole albums.

I can't bear to watch it in the export version with the genericized music. :(

That's the worst part about the Vietnam Special on Netflix. They cut out "Born in the USA" so the burn against whoever it was that had a broken down bike makes absolutely no sense.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I really want to drive that enormous stretch of road.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
I really want to buy some beaters and try and cross country them. It would be chuffing magic!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

tobu posted:

I really want to buy some beaters and try and cross country them. It would be chuffing magic!

There was some talk of doing an AI rally some years ago. I think we should revisit the idea but make it a team effort instead.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
Honestly that was a great episode, heaps better than the India special. I think that the country specials make the best episodes, and this one was no exception.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mustard_tiger posted:

Honestly that was a great episode, heaps better than the India special. I think that the country specials make the best episodes, and this one was no exception.

I agree, still hard to beat the Vietnam special though. Or the "technically we're sailing" bit from Antarctica.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Arctica :colbert:

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Arctic :colbert: :canada:

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
Fairly solid special so far, but I do have some beef:

I was mildly annoyed by their antics in the narrow street. It just seemed unnecessary and over the top.
Scratching up people's cars, knocking over their merchandise and fondling their powerlines. I was expecting them (JC in particular) to be dragged from their cabs and beaten up at any second (or at the very least get zapped by the powerlines). Then again I suppose a lot of abuse is permitted when you are trailed by a large crew with endless stacks of cash in a largely Buddhist country.

And then the petulant teenager dumped a ton of bricks on the only road through the hills. Nice work.
Maybe a lovely Vespa suits JC better for traveling through this part of the world.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tsuru posted:

I was mildly annoyed by their antics in the narrow street. It just seemed unnecessary and over the top.
Scratching up people's cars, knocking over their merchandise and fondling their powerlines. I was expecting them (JC in particular) to be dragged from their cabs and beaten up at any second (or at the very least get zapped by the powerlines). Then again I suppose a lot of abuse is permitted when you are trailed by a large crew with endless stacks of cash in a largely Buddhist country.

Don't tell anyone, but Top Gear is scripted :ssh:

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

Don't tell anyone, but Top Gear is scripted :ssh:
"Scripted" does not (have to) mean unnecessary and over the top.

I was reminded of the scene at the fish shop in the Japan special, maybe that's what did it. (also, I am literally James May IRL)

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 10, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tsuru posted:

unnecessary and over the top.

This is Top Gear we're talking about. That's kind of what they do.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Tsuru posted:

And then the petulant teenager dumped a ton of bricks on the only road through the hills. Nice work.
Maybe a lovely Vespa suits JC better for traveling through this part of the world.

Jeremy feels really bad about making you so upset.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Tsuru posted:

Hahahaha.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WHATEVER.

The place with the ice and poo poo.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
One thing that bugs me whenever the boys get into a truck - why don't they wear seatbelts? It really isn't safe to be just sitting there like that. The time they did the lorry challenge Clarkson slid off his seat, cut up his leg and got the gear shift up his arse.

In fact, the only time I think they've ever worn belts in a truck is the time they drove them through watercoolers and a brick wall.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

One thing that bugs me whenever the boys get into a truck - why don't they wear seatbelts? It really isn't safe to be just sitting there like that. The time they did the lorry challenge Clarkson slid off his seat, cut up his leg and got the gear shift up his arse.

In fact, the only time I think they've ever worn belts in a truck is the time they drove them through watercoolers and a brick wall.

I don't think they had seat belts, Hammond's truck didn't even have a real seat.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tsuru posted:

(also, I am literally James May IRL)

Me too, we should get together and talk about screwdrivers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gorilla Salad posted:

I would be curious to see how many of the countries they visit have seatbelt laws.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Rhyno posted:

I would be curious to see how many of the countries they visit have seatbelt laws.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seat_belt_legislation#Developing_countries

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.
Jesus wept, I thought I was going to pass out I was laughing so hard at May and Clarkson on those tiny horses/ponies. May was a constant stream of "Ow! Ow! Ow!" as his nuts smashed into the saddle, and Clarkson just laughed like a crazy person the entire time.

Seriously, they're pretty much the same size as the animals they are riding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,
Don't Hurt Em :(
I don't know why, but this was my favorite moment: