Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FallenSystm posted:

All I see are empty boxes/displays which is disappointing because I am still missing 5 of Series 12. Looks like I'll be heading to the Mall of America to see if the Lego Store still has the minifigs left over, can store associates identify re-sellers and stop them from purchasing large quantities?

I've heard the movie minifigs flew off the shelf and lego has none left to deliver. My wife says she heard they're "backordered" but I'm not convinced lego is going to bother making more.

Short version, if you see any left and you still want in on the action you better snatch them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

xzzy posted:

I've heard the movie minifigs flew off the shelf and lego has none left to deliver. My wife says she heard they're "backordered" but I'm not convinced lego is going to bother making more.

Short version, if you see any left and you still want in on the action you better snatch them up.

That's what I'm hearing from local stores and even the lego store. They are sold out and not expected to get more, my guess lego would rather do a second series of The Movie mini figures than rerun a production that ended 6+ months ago.

I couldn't find any baggies in the SF bay area, I did manage to scoop up the promo DJ[AMC], Western Emmet[gamestop] and PJ Emmet [regal theatres?]. I gave in and got a complete set of figures off ebay for $79 with free shipping because at this point its going to be difficult to collect 16 figures via normal means.

I didn't think Lego/retailers expected The Movie to take off like the way it did, all the targets near me is 100% cleared out on all sets, the the Toys R Us basically have 1 or 2 sets and that's it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, I saw one box of the ice cream truck at Target earlier this week and gaping holes in the shelves where all the other movie sets used to be displayed.

Which is a good warning for me, there wasn't much in this batch of sets I really wanted but any must haves (read: benny's spaceship) that do come out down the road I'll be sure to snatch up asap.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

xzzy posted:

Yep, I saw one box of the ice cream truck at Target earlier this week and gaping holes in the shelves where all the other movie sets used to be displayed.

That Ice cream truck is awesome though. :)

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Here's the release video for the Sand Crawler for those who haven't seen it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0l6OA1VZpI, drat that's a lot of pieces.

fygar
Nov 24, 2004
glorp

The_Doctor posted:

Is Shakespeare rare? I've been looking for him for ages. As a writer, he would be great for my desk.

According to this Eurobricks review, Billy Shakes is among the rarer minifigures in a case distribution. Velma, Gail and Marsha are just as rare.

It seems that Lego has posted downloadable "Create & Combine" instructions on the Movie minisite as a sort of stop-gap to address the unanticipated demand for Movie sets. The site mentions a "Lego Movie Adventure Builder" booklet. Does anybody have more information on that?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

fygar posted:

According to this Eurobricks review, Billy Shakes is among the rarer minifigures in a case distribution. Velma, Gail and Marsha are just as rare.

It seems that Lego has posted downloadable "Create & Combine" instructions on the Movie minisite as a sort of stop-gap to address the unanticipated demand for Movie sets. The site mentions a "Lego Movie Adventure Builder" booklet. Does anybody have more information on that?

Looks like it was a give away at Barnes and Noble last weekend

http://toysnbricks.com/lego-movie-building-event-march-1st-at-bn-usa/

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Gail is rare? drat, I have like 3 of her. And I didn't even buy that many movie figs because I had no idea they'd be gone from everywhere so fast.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Picked up some older Technic sets. They don't make em like they used to (although the instructions have improved significantly over the years)

Look at those studs! :allears:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I love that old school rack and pinion steering too.

Grimble
Jul 7, 2002

He will build a castle with garden on an island called Cheshire, and he is permitted to breed.

Asphyxious posted:

Do any Australians know how releases work over here? There seem to be "gaps" in certain lines that shops don't get in. As an example the new Chima stuff came out lately, but for some reason spinlyns cavern and lavertus' outpost aren't among them, to the point where they don't even appear in the catalogue.

If it works anything like it does here in Norway (to my annoyance, since I run a toystore). Those two sets are exclusive to different chains of toystores.

Here in Norway you can only get 70134 Lavertus' Outland Base at Toys R' Us and 70133 Spinlyn's Cavern at BR-Leker.

Seems like every 6 months there are two or three different sets exclusive to at least 4 different chains of toystores, so 8-12 sets alltogether. This time around, I am allowed to sell one exclusive Movie-set and one exclusive City-set that are not in the main catalogue, but am missing out on those Chima-sets, all due to which chain I've chosen to work with.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Had that Formula car and the dirt bike set. I have MOST of the pieces, but several Technic bits were in a box that is lost to the ages.

And it looks like I'll be stocking up on movie figs. :/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Great birthday or greatest birthday?

(Apparently other family members have more on the way, too. I'm loving spoiled.)

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

I watched the movie again last night... was just looking for background gags and little details.

Anyone watch the pigs during the escape from the old west sequence? Eventually one winds up in the car/cart with the gang with Vitruvius holding him thinking its Emmet. When they crash into the train, watch that pig as everyone flys up in the air towards camera.

He crashes towards the end of that shot, top of screen and explodes into a cloud of lego sausages... blink and you miss it...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Speaking of sausages, the chest on metalbeard has a dog bone and a sausage in it. :3:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Big K of Justice posted:

I watched the movie again last night... was just looking for background gags and little details.

Anyone watch the pigs during the escape from the old west sequence? Eventually one winds up in the car/cart with the gang with Vitruvius holding him thinking its Emmet. When they crash into the train, watch that pig as everyone flys up in the air towards camera.

He crashes towards the end of that shot, top of screen and explodes into a cloud of lego sausages... blink and you miss it...

Also the old west stores all have period-inappropriate signs in the window like "ATM Inside" and "Free wifi."

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Saw it a second time myself, the theater was still packed on a Saturday afternoon, this is a long-lived movie! Took my dad to see it since we used to build Legos together on the porch when I was little, he loved it. Everyone did, really. A quartet of fashionable college girls in front of us, the sort you probably wouldn't think would go to this movie, were having an absolute blast too. It's really a movie that can be enjoyed by anyone, except drunk people apparently.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I saw it again last night, still great, and I forgot how rapid fire the jokes are! It's definitely a movie that rewards repeat viewings. I want to see it in 2D as 3D blurs a lot of detail.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Still doesn't come out here (AU) for another three weeks :( You guys are making me jealous.

We still have plenty of Movie minifig boosters around here, although I guess that's going to change when the movie proper hits. Hell, yesterday I found a nearly-full box of Series 11 boosters in a Myer which still had things like a Jabba palace on shelf (naturally, still full retail price).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On a completely different topic, anyone who's glued lego are there any types that are destructive to the plastic?

I've found the fragments of one of the 1980's flags, the pole is broken off from the flag portion. Easy repair I just don't want to melt anything.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

xzzy posted:

On a completely different topic, anyone who's glued lego are there any types that are destructive to the plastic?

I've found the fragments of one of the 1980's flags, the pole is broken off from the flag portion. Easy repair I just don't want to melt anything.

Kragle...er, cyanoacrylate shouldn't hurt the plastic, but it's brittle. Most model glues melt the plastic for strength, but a little goes a long way.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Aaronicon posted:

Still doesn't come out here (AU) for another three weeks :( You guys are making me jealous.

We still have plenty of Movie minifig boosters around here, although I guess that's going to change when the movie proper hits. Hell, yesterday I found a nearly-full box of Series 11 boosters in a Myer which still had things like a Jabba palace on shelf (naturally, still full retail price).

Are series 11 packs rare now or something? Sainsbury's near me had two full boxes a few weeks ago and I've been steadily depleting them with my workmate. No one else seems to be buying them. Can't find movie figs or any other series though anywhere.

fygar
Nov 24, 2004
glorp
All the talk of Movie minifigures growing scarce had me wracking my brain of where I might find some. The Target by my workplace has been dry of minifigures for the past few weeks, and I didn't have the convenience of making a trip to my local Lego store (who were probably out anyway). I hated the idea of paying overinflated online prices. Then I remembered there's a board game store in the area that stocks Lego. Sure enough, they had a little less than a third of a case left. The bags cost a dollar more than SRP, but I was cool with that. I was supporting a locally-owned business, I'm going to be paying that price for future series, and I figured that the extra dollar was saving me a trip to some place like Walmart on a weekend.

I wound up getting a Velma, a William Shakespeare and a Scribble-Face Bad Cop. The store also had some Series 11 bags (at SRP), and I got the drive-in carhop. The lesson of the story is to remember checking with your local merchants before buying online.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Also check Walgreens. They tend to carry the minifigs, and noone really looks there for them.

Simpsons figures list leaked
http://www.bricksandbloks.com/lego-simpsons-minifigures-series-characters-list-revealed/

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

RodShaft posted:

Also check Walgreens. They tend to carry the minifigs, and noone really looks there for them.

Simpsons figures list leaked
http://www.bricksandbloks.com/lego-simpsons-minifigures-series-characters-list-revealed/

Ugh, they jacked the price up by a third.
I wonder if there's any chance I'll find a 30-count box.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Am I the only one who thinks the Simpsons stuff looks ugly as hell? Such a departure from regular minifigs makes them barely look like Lego and more like a crappy knock off.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Am I the only one who thinks the Simpsons stuff looks ugly as hell? Such a departure from regular minifigs makes them barely look like Lego and more like a crappy knock off.

Nope, they just aren't doing anything for me. I hope the Simpsons minifigs get cycled through quickly, because I really want to get back to their normal blindbags.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Speaking of minifigs, is there a reliable place to buy whole unopened boxes of the CMFs? I've got a buddy who wants to split a box of the Simpsons set.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Local target by me just put out a pretty non picked through box of movie figs. I picked up a few but I'm thinking I should just go back and buy the rest of the box today. First time I've seen them anywhere around here.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Yeah, all the Targets in my area have been cleaned out thoroughly (DC Area), though my fiance found two figs hidden in some random aisle so we're up to four now (two being the robot pioneer).

Disappointed Lego isn't likely to make any more of them. I know re-sellers are part of the problem, but I think the movies popularity is part of the reason why these are hard to find now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The only ones you can get from amazon now are from resellers, which is hilarious to me. You know they poked and prodded all those packs to find the rares, which they opened and put up for sale at $15. Anything they left sealed is going to be the chaff that no one cares about, and they still try to sell them at double the original price.

The system is starting to feed on itself, seems like the best thing for lego to do is to go back to minifig packs where you know what's inside. Jack up the price a bunch so lego gets a bigger cut of the action and let things settle down.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Speaking of minifigs, is there a reliable place to buy whole unopened boxes of the CMFs? I've got a buddy who wants to split a box of the Simpsons set.

Depends where you live. For the last ~8 series, I've had good luck getting a sealed box at Fred Meyer (northwest US chain) within a few days of release. I got a sealed box of movie figs at a Tacoma Toys R Us almost the day they were released (and unusually, they didn't have TRU's $.50 markup that they've had on minifigs in the past).

FallenSystm
Feb 9, 2005

"Full of Fish?"

FallenSystm posted:

So the old lady showed me her Facebook feed today. Lego leaked a photo of homers hand with a doughnut that read "New Mini Figures Coming Soon", is it just me or does this seem fast? On top of that I think all the re-sellers have stripped every store within a 50 mile radius of the bags here. All I see are empty boxes/displays which is disappointing because I am still missing 5 of Series 12. Looks like I'll be heading to the Mall of America to see if the Lego Store still has the minifigs left over, can store associates identify re-sellers and stop them from purchasing large quantities?

Well I have some good news and maybe hopeful news for others. We racked our brains over the weekend for locations that would be less likely to sell through the mini figs. K-Mart was a success, I think it may be the only one left in existence but they had an entire hanging box display full of them. We were lucky enough to find the 5 we were missing! I feel like the mini fig designers are loving with us at this point, how many of those Series 12 figures had the same type of piece in them!?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Oops... I wound up ordering an extra Gamestop pre-order Western Emett by mistake. I'll hold onto it bagged and see if I can trade it in the future I guess.

Is there any other Movie promos than:

-DJ Robot (some theatre chains)
-PJ Emett (some theatre chains)
-Western Emett (game store preorders)
-Press tin set of 6 (press promotional)
-Emett's car (Not sure if its a promo or just Toys-R-Us exclusive)

I know there are two DJ robots, I'm wondering if the other one will show up in a future set or series.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The flannel wearing minifig in 70813 is wearing a t-shirt with the neon Blacktron logo on it. :3:

fygar
Nov 24, 2004
glorp

Big K of Justice posted:

Oops... I wound up ordering an extra Gamestop pre-order Western Emett by mistake. I'll hold onto it bagged and see if I can trade it in the future I guess.

Is there any other Movie promos than:

-DJ Robot (some theatre chains)
-PJ Emett (some theatre chains)
-Western Emett (game store preorders)
-Press tin set of 6 (press promotional)
-Emett's car (Not sure if its a promo or just Toys-R-Us exclusive)

I know there are two DJ robots, I'm wondering if the other one will show up in a future set or series.

"Emmet's Car" apparently was a Toys "R" Us promotional in-store build and is not available for purchase. There's also one more promotional(?) Movie polybag called "Micro Manager Battle" (30281) that comes with a Wyldstyle minifig, but I have no idea how to acquire it.

EDIT: Forgot the "Piece of Resistance" polybag (30280) that was free with a purchase of $50 or more from Lego last month. It came with an Emmet minifig.

fygar fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 11, 2014

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Three hours worth of work and it's just a prototype.

Weird angles are hard. :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hard enough to push you to drugs apparently.

What kind of project is it?

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

The pill bottle are vitamin D capsules because, well, I don't go out enough. :smith:

Anyway, compounding on the unhealthy degree to which I play EVE, it's (eventually going to be) this:

That ring section's gonna be the real trick...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

mynnna posted:

That ring section's gonna be the real trick...

Depending on your scale, the ring section can be easy. Click-joints, ball joints, tank treads, brick-and-cylinder, or just pure brick curves are all possibilities.
Detailing some of them may be tricky, though.

All those different angles, though...