Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

haveblue posted:

reminder that the new cosmos starts tonight

it's already been spoiled

the first episode has a big atheist screed against religion thanks to seth mcfarlane's involvement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
holy crap louis the big bang was just a giant cosmic fart - seth "mac"farlane

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Stymie posted:

it's already been spoiled

the first episode has a big atheist screed against religion thanks to seth mcfarlane's involvement
cool, that sounds both relevant and tonally appropriate

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

theflyingexecutive posted:

i just finished it an hour ago, kept waiting for the culture to show up and was a lil disappointed it wasn't there

the titular "dark background" is not just the political background of golter but also the millions of light years between thrial and other stars

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cocoa Crispies posted:

the titular "dark background" is not just the political background of golter but also the millions of light years between thrial and other stars

Lmao.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
wrong, you used that word wrong

it's wrong!!

:byodood:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Sham bam bamina! posted:

it's wrong!!

die prescriptivist scum

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sham bam bamina! posted:

cool, that sounds both relevant and tonally appropriate

yep

basically thanks to shitbirds like bill nye, richard dawkins, ricky gervais and the aforementioned seth mcfarlane, science is now synonymous with militant atheism

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
90% of 'science' shows are about astronomy and the occasional chemistry topic and it's telling that no one's able to think outside of those boxes

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Stymie posted:

yep

basically thanks to shitbirds like bill nye, richard dawkins, ricky gervais and the aforementioned seth mcfarlane, science is now synonymous with militant atheism

wait bill nye is a ratheist?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

vOv posted:

wait bill nye is a ratheist?

he went on that horrible debate show with some chowderhead and kept having to say the most obvious stuff ever to try to keep things sort of in a place where debate could happen

but i kinda doubt that's what he's normally like

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Really glad Neil degrasse Tyson is official ambassador of science instead of either of the brians or dick Dawkins or muchio talku

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

syscall girl posted:

he went on that horrible debate show with some chowderhead and kept having to say the most obvious stuff ever to try to keep things sort of in a place where debate could happen

but i kinda doubt that's what he's normally like

and said "chowderhead" made nye look like a chump because nye is only funny/engaging with a script and good writers whereas the other speaker was well organized, argued cogently and wasn't invested in attacking his opponent

neil tyson should also be ashamed for letting atheist garbage into the remade cosmos because carl sagan was definitely not an atheist and knew that holding such a radical religious position only served to alienate

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

Really glad Neil degrasse Tyson is official ambassador of science instead of either of the brians or dick Dawkins or muchio talku

kaku is so terrible

quote:

By midcentury, we may have Brain 2.0, a backup copy of the brain, the byproduct of the ambitious BRAIN project of Pres. Obama and the European Union. Hence, when we die, our Connectome and Genome still survive. So our consciousness does not have to die when we die. And this consciousness, I write, may be placed on laser beams and sent into outer space. This might be the most efficient way to explore the universe, as laser beams carrying our consciousness into outer space.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sham bam bamina! posted:

it's wrong!!

i'm not the one quoting or responding to stymie

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

vOv posted:

kaku is so terrible

i heard that on science friday and almost crashed my car from laughing so hard

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I tend to leave the science channel on as background noise but when he comes on I have to switch it to something else

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Stymie posted:

and said "chowderhead" made nye look like a chump because nye is only funny/engaging with a script and good writers whereas the other speaker was well organized, argued cogently and wasn't invested in attacking his opponent

neil tyson should also be ashamed for letting atheist garbage into the remade cosmos because carl sagan was definitely not an atheist and knew that holding such a radical religious position only served to alienate

tyson is also not an atheist and is pretty outspoken as far as 'i dont really give a poo poo about atheist dickwaving' but he may not have had much control over it

also it hasnt aired and i dont really know if atheist is going to be a big part of it

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
ndt is openly atheist but his message about religion isn't negative, it's "don't present an idea as truth unless you have evidence"

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
he's denied being an atheist many times tho. i mean even if it's just 'dont lump me in with all these atheist morons' i think it's an important destinction

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

i heard that on science friday and almost crashed my car from laughing so hard

literally the plot of a greg egan novel

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
stymie you blithering idiot, did you not read any sagan at all?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

he's denied being an atheist many times tho. i mean even if it's just 'dont lump me in with all these atheist morons' i think it's an important destinction

you're exactly right, here's him talking about it (and I completely agree with him)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzSMC5rWvos

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

well that's it. he has repatedly in interviews said that he doesn't want to be called an atheist because he doesn't want to be labeled with the baggage of the arguments, which is the nuanced way of saying yeah i don't believe in god but let's just not talk about that

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
i think he's like most atheist scientists i know, in that he doesn't believe in god but doesn't want to be allied with assholes like dawkins, jerry coyne, and pz meyers in the eyes of the public. the easiest way to do that is to not call yourself an atheist, even if your beliefs fall pretty firmly into that camp

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i mean i dont call myself an atheist for the exact same reason so i definitely respect his desire not to be considered an atheist. at the end of the day i really dont care very much at all whether or not god exists and i dont want to spend any time thinking about it or talking about it because 'is there a god? is one of the least interesting questions ever posed

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

syscall girl posted:

stymie you blithering idiot, did you not read any sagan at all?

yes, especially the part where sagan explicitly denied being an atheist

you can argue against faith-based reasoning and still not be an atheist, and the modern scientific world could do with some serious self-examination in regards to its relationship to religion, especially atheism

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

i mean i dont call myself an atheist for the exact same reason so i definitely respect his desire not to be considered an atheist. at the end of the day i really dont care very much at all whether or not god exists and i dont want to spend any time thinking about it or talking about it because 'is there a god? is one of the least interesting questions ever posed

exactly, and the fact of the matter is that i share a lot of beliefs and goals with a lot of religious people: human rights, civil rights, social change, etc. if being a giant dick about my nonbelief causes those people to not want to ally with me on those issues even if we are working towards the same goals, that is a huge problem. trading that for being "right" about an absolutely pointless argument is a poo poo bargain imo

also, fwiw, people have this image of dawkins as a strident and dickish atheist, but he's absolutely polite and reasonable compared to coyne and meyers. i'm not saying dawkins isn't a huge rear end in a top hat, mind you, only that there are WAY bigger assholes out there

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
coyne in particular seems hellbent on excommunicating anyone who doesn't interpret "atheism" as "be as big an rear end in a top hat to religious people as possible at all times"

Zap!
May 15, 2002

Nuts.

Stymie posted:

yep

science was always synonymous with militant atheism since religious nutjobs figured out science causes issues with their favorite sci fi universe

Zap!
May 15, 2002

Nuts.
I told some Mormon girls that my wife and I are atheist and now they keep coming back to my house every 6 months or so asking if we need help with any work around the house.

I don't think these 20 year old girls could haul away the bathroom vanity on their bikes, but I'll certainly watch.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Zap! posted:

I told some Mormon girls that my wife and I are atheist and now they keep coming back to my house every 6 months or so asking if we need help with any work around the house.

I don't think these 20 year old girls could haul away the bathroom vanity on their bikes, but I'll certainly watch.

see if you can talk ur way into some extra wives

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Zap! posted:

great now ive got a new fetish

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
they need to have the guys who made the pseudo-series made of "the joy of stats", "the science of chance", and "the joy of logic" make more stuff because those were good and not your typical spaceships and/or explosions kind of science TV

also i really miss "inside nature's giants", even though dick dorkins was on it for a few minutes each episode, they were genuinely fascinating and i liked the hosts

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
if you keep dawkins on the subject of evolutionary biology, he's fine

anyway we can argue about the "atheist" label all we want but the important thing to remember is that people are stupid if they hold an absolute opinion on something that cannot be tested scientifically

is there a god? who cares.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
pretty excited. having a couple people over to watch cosmos and i'm gonna sous vide some tuna steaks should be good. after that gonna watch brew detective. gonna be a good sunday too bad it's loving hot alread

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
lol does nu cosmos really have a section where they talk about how fail god is

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
probably not

it's on fox

Adbot