Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

PJOmega posted:

Does that have 2x of the "8" costers? I hate the videos so I won't listen with sound.

Possible reasons to not run it are blowouts from the objective flipping. Beyond that yes in a straight smuggler's deck or Rebel control it is insane.

Yes. Also, it's a Reaction: not a Forced Reaction: (as pointed out in the video), so you don't have to trigger the board clear if it won't help you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Carteret posted:

Yes. Also, it's a Reaction: not a Forced Reaction: (as pointed out in the video), so you don't have to trigger the board clear if it won't help you.

Then yes, auto 1x if not 2x if packing the Golden Affiliation. Can you Millenium Falcon out the huge?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

PJOmega posted:

Then yes, auto 1x if not 2x if packing the Golden Affiliation. Can you Millenium Falcon out the huge?

Oh yeah. If you can somehow play the big guys AFTER you force the objective, there is a very good chance that they'll be free...

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

PJOmega posted:

Protect let's you put an amount of damage up to lethal, so you can't soak 20 damage onto a 2 health guardian.
I understand that. I was speaking more to the ability to move 2 damage from another char onto the guardian. I don't know if there's been another card that deals damage to multiple targets at once which is why I was wondering. I don't think you can, but I could see them also adding a phantom window where you're allowed to resolve damage in the order you choose from one effect or something bizarre.

Also I'm not THAT impressed with the pod. Han, Falcon, Chewie are still better I think (that said you could argue two of those are near the top of best pods in the game... ). It's really good, and I think if you're running mono it's a strong consideration but I'm not sure if it's an auto. Again that speaks to the strength of smugglers rather than it's weakness.

It would be nice though if they'd start adding some sort of support like this for scum :(

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

alansmithee posted:

It would be nice though if they'd start adding some sort of support like this for scum :(

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4615

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

I love this pose. "Iggy's here BITCHES!"

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut-KyLQujQA
:v:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

:getin:

Only two of us showed up at Atomic Empire in Durham for Store Championships, both of us from Raleigh. We played chill games but I misplayed my second and he got the plaque.

Super happy they finally made some alt art cards for Star Wars.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

alg posted:

:getin:

Only two of us showed up at Atomic Empire in Durham for Store Championships, both of us from Raleigh. We played chill games but I misplayed my second and he got the plaque.

Super happy they finally made some alt art cards for Star Wars.

LOL. I was really close to driving up there for shits and giggles, but 1) I slept in and 2) Next week I'm coming on Sunday then the following Saturday for Netrunner. Congrats on your loot!

If you have a SW LCG Mat you want to trade for a 2013 Netrunner Regionals Mat, lmk. I have two of them :v:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Carteret posted:

LOL. I was really close to driving up there for shits and giggles, but 1) I slept in and 2) Next week I'm coming on Sunday then the following Saturday for Netrunner. Congrats on your loot!

If you have a SW LCG Mat you want to trade for a 2013 Netrunner Regionals Mat, lmk. I have two of them :v:

If that's the one with Project Beale on it I totally would :frog:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

alg posted:

If that's the one with Project Beale on it I totally would :frog:

:wink:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

:eyepop:

I have a season 3 mat I kind of like but I might be winning (:smuggo:) another Store Championship, I'll let you know either way.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Rebels don't get any bonkers cards, of course, but I like the synergy with other sets released recently. Jan Ors :allears:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4653

Ewoks and Salacious Crumb :allears:

edit:

:stare:

alg fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 17, 2014

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Maybe with that guy we can finally start to see some balance to sith? The overall power level of sith + 4 force chokes in almost every sith deck have made character decks really hard to play.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, it may help some, but its still 6+ months away :/

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

alg posted:

Yeah, it may help some, but its still 6+ months away :/

Yeah, this long break is pretty miserable. Especially considering that the card pool is even smaller than it seems, with the objective set limitations.

Still, I made a new LS that was fun to play.

S&S affiliation
2x Falcon
2x Echo Caverns
2x Home One
2x Red Two
2x Mon Mothma

Lots of interesting play combinations here. Mon Mothma is pretty versatile actually. Cloud City operatives using 1 of her resources to put into play, and then triggering the cloud city operatives response to a DS character is fun. Or just using her for conflict, edge 1 + tactics is real nice. There is quite a bit of card draw, so I found myself winning a LOT of edge battles. Echo Caverns is really really strong, Renegade Squadron is my MVP on defense, Falcon gets a TON of unopposed attacks because Edge 1 + all those black icons, Red Two and Home One close games.

Even little things like Battlefield Engineers work pretty well in this deck because of Echo Caverns and the 2 cost 2 resource enhancement in the Falcon pod. You can use Echo Caverns twice in a turn, or once on offense and then again on defense, or double focus the resource and then use it again next turn.

There seem to be plenty of resources, but Defense of Yavin 4 is still the 'critical' objective to get out at the start. I'd say the best starting objectives are 1 Defense of Yavin 4 and 2 Mission Briefing.

It's REALLY strong to have that much draw just locked in and guaranteed. However, there are sometimes where Asteroid Sanctuary just crushes. Win edge battles, draw card, win another one, draw card. I had 3 unopposed strikes in a row one game, drew 3 cards, then at the start of my opponents turn drew another one for mission briefing. It's fun to be on the LS and get the 'how am I supposed to win edge battles with that many cards in your hand?' conversation.

tijag fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 19, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'd bet :10bux: that the art off the Precision Flying card is also going to show up as a pilot card for the TIE Phantom X-Wing expansion.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
So I've been playing this again in anticipation of the new cycle coming out, and I threw together a silly deck.

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Star Wars Deck Builder

Affiliation:
Scum and Villainy (Core)

Total Objective Sets: (10)

2x Black Squadron Assault (Core)
Vader's TIE Advanced (Core)
TIE Advanced (Core)
Black Squadron Pilot (Core)
I'm On the Leader (Core)
Target of Opportunity (Core)

2x Kuat Reinforcements (Core)
"Backstabber" (Core)
TIE Fighter (Core)
TIE Bomber (Core)
Tallon Roll (Core)
Death from Above (Core)

2x Defense Protocol (Core)
TIE Attack Squadron (Core)
TIE Fighter (Core)
Tallon Roll (Core)
Death from Above (Core)
Twist of Fate (Core)

2x The Endor Gambit (Core)
AT-ST Commander (Core)
AT-ST (Core)
AT-ST (Core)
Aft Armor Plating (Core)
Target of Opportunity (Core)

2x Hunt Them Down (Escape from Hoth)
Dengar (Escape from Hoth)
Kihraxz-class Assault Fighter (Escape from Hoth)
Kihraxz-class Assault Fighter (Escape from Hoth)
Remote Hideout (Escape from Hoth)
Target of Opportunity (Escape from Hoth)

I hope we get some more Dark Side Fighter stuff in this cycle. I love my "Star Destroy Rush" deck, but variety is cool, right?

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
Do you feel like you can get enough units out with how few resources the deck has?

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

tijag posted:

Do you feel like you can get enough units out with how few resources the deck has?

I think so, given how most of the units are. Kuat Reinforcements also helps. I may swap out an Endor Gambit for an Endless Reserves, but I'll see how it plays as is, first.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Apparently regionals were announced or something. My regional is in...Hickory :/

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

alg posted:

Apparently regionals were announced or something. My regional is in...Hickory :/

Would you prefer Atlanta, or Miami?

Maybe the region north of us will be in Virginia Beach? doubt it. I hate to find out where the nearest Netrunner Regional will be.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Carteret posted:

Would you prefer Atlanta, or Miami?

Maybe the region north of us will be in Virginia Beach? doubt it. I hate to find out where the nearest Netrunner Regional will be.

Yeah it could be wherever. 3 hr drive though is the same as Atlanta or Miami, no thanks. Kinda sucks they are limiting them so much.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Alt-art from the new league kit:

Starkiller is cannon :woop:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Carteret posted:

Alt-art from the new league kit:

Starkiller is cannon :woop:

So much better than the terrible promos they had before.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

I finally was able to pick up a Core Set and check the game out with a friend. Seems pretty cool so far! I have a couple of unanswered rules questions, though:

1> During an objective conflict, are units without icons still forced to focus and strike?
2> Judging by the rules, it seems like committing to the force (and determining who gets control of the balance of it) can be done regardless of ready or exhausted state. Is that correct?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Amante posted:

I finally was able to pick up a Core Set and check the game out with a friend. Seems pretty cool so far! I have a couple of unanswered rules questions, though:

1> During an objective conflict, are units without icons still forced to focus and strike?
2> Judging by the rules, it seems like committing to the force (and determining who gets control of the balance of it) can be done regardless of ready or exhausted state. Is that correct?

Yes to both questions.

During a conflict, all units in the conflict have To strike. This is true even if the unit striking will have no effect such as would happen if they had no icons, or only unit damage with no target, or objective damage after the objective was destroyed.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

PJOmega posted:

Yes to both questions.

During a conflict, all units in the conflict have To strike. This is true even if the unit striking will have no effect such as would happen if they had no icons, or only unit damage with no target, or objective damage after the objective was destroyed.

Also, just to clarify because I got this wrong when I was first playing. A unit committed to the force does not count its force pips if it is exhausted. You can commit an exhausted unit to the force, but outside of an edge case, that units force icons don't count on that turns force struggle.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Time to do some Freebootin' :getin: Can't wait to run them with Sleuth Scouts Saturday at my Store Championship

alg
Mar 14, 2007

http://toptiergaming.com/2014/03/27/against-all-odds/

Print some Rebel cards this good, FFG :mad:

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
All of the spoilers for Heroes and Legends are up on cardgamedb here.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Took 3rd out of 4 at my Store Championship :( I just don't know what keeps people from playing this game. It's got a lot more interaction than Netrunner and it's Star Wars!

Aquaris Freeholders were not the threat they seemed to be. Most people were dumping cards to avoid them even when I didn't have one.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

alg posted:

Took 3rd out of 4 at my Store Championship :( I just don't know what keeps people from playing this game. It's got a lot more interaction than Netrunner and it's Star Wars!

Aquaris Freeholders were not the threat they seemed to be. Most people were dumping cards to avoid them even when I didn't have one.

Distance :(

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

alg posted:

I think no cards coming out for a looong time killed the game for a lot of people, but it didn't catch on big in the first place around where I live.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Swagger Dagger posted:

I think no cards coming out for a looong time killed the game for a lot of people, but it didn't catch on big in the first place around where I live.

Isn't the six-on-six-off cycle pretty standard for FFG's LCGs? Or did I misunderstand the guy at my FLGS? I raised the same concern and he basically said "Yeah, FFG's games are like that. Once a couple full cycles are out it'll start to have legs"

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The 6 on, 6 off with a deluxe in between is fine and dandy, but the deluxe Star Wars got only introduced 6 new objective sets for the game. What competitive scene there was stagnated since September with essentially the exact same meta and cards available. Compare that to the first deluxe Netrunner got, which while containing many duds shook the scene up considerably.

Edit: it also seems that one of the major downsides to Star Wars is the deck construction rules make it so that each pack has a lesser impact on the game than any of the other competitive LCGS out there. This latest pack introduced 5 objective sets. Thankfully, we wont have long to wait for new cards for a while.

Carteret fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 30, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I'm of two minds on pod-based deck building. I like that it makes things a bit simpler for those of us that don't have copious free time to devote to theorycrafting decks from whole cloth, but it does make it feel like it's taking a lot longer to get enough new building options.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Almost positive that the pod based deckbuilding ended this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

It's sad, really. I'm keeping the faith. I adore the art and the gameplay :allears:

• Locked thread