Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I can't tell you how true to style this is, but I had it recently at their brewpub and it is very tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
That Hunahpu day looks dreadful. I think it's a huge facepalm to offer free beer as a consolation. I can't understand that logic at all, you over sell an event which makes it awful, so you offer free beer which is going to cause huge amounts of people to show up and even more lines. I don't get it.

Oh well. I just had my first shower beer with Troegenator. Not only that but it was my first time drinking it from the can. I drat near shotgunned it. What a perfect beer. I've really taken a liking to putting the Berkshire/Troegs Troegenator bourbon collab in the beer too. It's great, 1 ounce of the bourbon per 16 ounces of beer.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 9, 2014

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Midorka posted:

That Hunahpu day looks dreadful. I think it's a huge facepalm to offer free beer as a consolation. I can't understand that logic at all, you over sell an event which makes it awful, so you offer free beer which is going to cause huge amounts of people to show up and even more lines. I don't get it.

Oh well. I just had my first shower beer with Troegenator. Not only that but it was my first time drinking it from the can. I drat near shotgunned it. What a perfect beer. I've really taken a liking to putting the Berkshire/Troegs Troegenator bourbon collab in the beer too. It's great, 1 ounce of the bourbon per 16 ounces of beer.

My favourite shower beers are Berliners and IPAs; don't think I've ever done a doppelbock shower beer. Still bitter about losing "Rodenbach bottle in the shampoo rack" as a thread title a while ago.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Midorka posted:

I'm at CCB drinking free beer right now, I'm tipping four bucks a cup and lines are non existent, there's nothing to worry about here.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
I posted about wanting to gift a Sam Adams Utopias to a friend a few days ago and saw some helpful replies (thanks, everyone). But I also noticed the Utopias are apparently on limited release and hard to find... Anyone know where I can get one?

Or if it's too hard to get or unavailable, does anyone have any recommendations for a fancy six pack of different sorts of beer for the friend to try? I'm think like $150 worth... quality, not quantity.

Hand of the King fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 9, 2014

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Hand of the King posted:

I posted about wanting to gift a Sam Adams Utopias to a friend a few days ago and saw some helpful replies (thanks, everyone). But I also noticed the Utopias are apparently on limited release and hard to find... Anyone know where I can get one?

Or if it's too hard to get or unavailable, does anyone have any recommendations for a fancy six pack of different sorts of beer for the friend to try? I'm think like $150 worth... quality, not quantity.

Really, most beers that are that expensive are generally special release, brewery only, or extremely limited and thus hard to find. Beer isn't that expensive on the whole. I can't think of six $25+ bottles of beer that a) you can find on the shelf and b) are worth the money.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012

cryme posted:

Really, most beers that are that expensive are generally special release, brewery only, or extremely limited and thus hard to find. Beer isn't that expensive on the whole. I can't think of six $25+ bottles of beer that a) you can find on the shelf and b) are worth the money.

Bloody hell. I was really hoping there's an easy way to throw $150 of gifts at someone who loves beer. I guess money can't fix everything.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Hand of the King posted:

Bloody hell. I was really hoping there's an easy way to throw $150 of gifts at someone who loves beer. I guess money can't fix everything.

If you're in NJ I can direct you to 2-3 stores with it. It's usually kept behind the counter in my experiences.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Hand of the King posted:

Utopias isn't a bad choice in that range because I can speak for a lot of beer nerds when I say Utopias ranks as a "worth trying but will never pay for this" kind of thing (plus it remains good for months, even after opening).

If you are not a beer person, it's going to be really hard to spend that much money on beer and make a gift of beer meaningful to a beer nerd in a way that isn't "hey, now I've got a lot more beer". Instead of tying yourself to a price range, tell us what area you're from and, if you know the answer, whether or not you get Shelton Bros distribution. If your friend is into sours, you could spend a heap of money on an array of shelf gueuzes...

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Hand of the King posted:

Maybe this was answered before but where are you located?

And more importantly, what types of beer does your friend like? With $150 you should be able to get 10 or so really solid 22 oz or 750 ml bottles. At that price point, you're likely to be getting stouts and sours and saisons and Belgians.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
Just drank my Straightjacket from BIF and that is delicious. The barrel isn't quite as prevalent as with BCBW but it is still nearly perfect in balance. Loved every minute of it.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

the yellow dart posted:

Just drank my Straightjacket from BIF and that is delicious. The barrel isn't quite as prevalent as with BCBW but it is still nearly perfect in balance. Loved every minute of it.

I find it amazing that I can literally walk into the brewery and buy a half case of this on the release date without any fuss, because it seriously competes on the Sucaba/King Henry/Great god tier of BA barleywines.

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 9, 2014

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

crazyfish posted:

My favourite shower beers are Berliners and IPAs; don't think I've ever done a doppelbock shower beer. Still bitter about losing "Rodenbach bottle in the shampoo rack" as a thread title a while ago.

In school we had bathrooms shared between two rooms, and I blew the guy in the other room's mind when I left an empty bottle in the shower. Freshman, he'd never heard of it before. It's seriously the next best thing to hot tub beer.

Last time I went skiing I completely wiped out on the last run of the day (of course). Landed so hard I actually split the front of my pants. Not the crotch, not a seam, but the front. hosed my shoulder up pretty good, too. Wound up drinking two big bottles of Hoptimus Prime (Legacy, not Ruckus) in the hot tub at the lodge. Felt amazing. Never underestimate the healing power of beer. Or alcoholism, I guess.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
My dad was just talking about how he discovered barleywines and loves them. I said "Straight Jacket?", "...whaa?" Yup. Bought him some immediately.
Its so tasty.

E: Even better like crazyfish said because its STILL available. Elite barelywine.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

Sucaba/King Henry/Great god tier of BA barleywines.

The first one yes. The other two are another level. Great is worth the hype and KH is simply one of the best beers ever brewed.

But while I think Rev's BA'd series isn't their strong suit, I think it's only a matter of time before Straight Jacket does start getting some well-deserved national love.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
Had some pretty ridiculous beers last night that I probably will never see again.

The standouts were:

Bottle Works IX from RR
Bottle Works XII from Bruery
A blood orange berliner growler from Tin Barrels in OR
Loak Bean from De Garde in OR
Upland Raspberry Lambic
Eclipse 20 (21?) Elijah Craig
Batch 9000
Biere De Mars

The worst: Batch 7000. Tasted like soy sauce.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

A 9 year old imperial stout tasted like soy sauce?!!??!

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

air- posted:

Ah thanks for clarifying, I was under a different impression since paying for an allotment in a reserve society implies exclusivity (I admit I have no clue what you get for joining Catador). In that case, yeah, the arguments don't hold up.

Crooked Stave RS functions like Catador as well. If you're in RS, you are guaranteed 2x10 releases throughout the year (plus a sign and a shirt and like $1 off pours during happy hour or something, I forget) but unclaimed RS bottles make it to the general public fridge sometimes. And get poured on tap at fests or if it snows/rains, we get 38.2 sunshine hours in five consecutive days, they feel like it, etc.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012

crazyfish posted:

Utopias isn't a bad choice in that range because I can speak for a lot of beer nerds when I say Utopias ranks as a "worth trying but will never pay for this" kind of thing (plus it remains good for months, even after opening).

If you are not a beer person, it's going to be really hard to spend that much money on beer and make a gift of beer meaningful to a beer nerd in a way that isn't "hey, now I've got a lot more beer". Instead of tying yourself to a price range, tell us what area you're from and, if you know the answer, whether or not you get Shelton Bros distribution. If your friend is into sours, you could spend a heap of money on an array of shelf gueuzes...

I'm in Santa Barbara, CA. I have no idea what Shelton Bros is. All I know is that there are a couple of BevMos around here.

danbanana posted:

Maybe this was answered before but where are you located?

And more importantly, what types of beer does your friend like? With $150 you should be able to get 10 or so really solid 22 oz or 750 ml bottles. At that price point, you're likely to be getting stouts and sours and saisons and Belgians.

I'm in Santa Barbara, CA. Bah, I really don't know what type of beer he's into. And, even if I did, I wouldn't even know too much of it because I'm really clueless with beer. That's why I was hoping for a one-hit wonder Utopias.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Hand of the King posted:

I'm in Santa Barbara, CA. I have no idea what Shelton Bros is. All I know is that there are a couple of BevMos around here.

I'm in Santa Barbara, CA. Bah, I really don't know what type of beer he's into. And, even if I did, I wouldn't even know too much of it because I'm really clueless with beer. That's why I was hoping for a one-hit wonder Utopias.

Go to Firestone Walker Barrelworks in Buellton and the Firestone Walker Brewery in Paso Robles; buy as much Feral One and Lil Opal as they will allow at each place (3 per at each place so 12, IIRC). If your friend lives in CA, you could also buy some Parabola and Sucaba but if he's outside the state, chances are he'll have a harder time of finding it so you could spend the rest of your budget on those alone. Also some of the older vintages of Firestone Walker's Anniversary beers are on sale at both places and are priced fairly high.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Furious Lobster posted:

Go to Firestone Walker Barrelworks in Buellton and the Firestone Walker Brewery in Paso Robles; buy as much Feral One and Lil Opal as they will allow at each place (3 per at each place so 12, IIRC). If your friend lives in CA, you could also buy some Parabola and Sucaba but if he's outside the state, chances are he'll have a harder time of finding it so you could spend the rest of your budget on those alone. Also some of the older vintages of Firestone Walker's Anniversary beers are on sale at both places and are priced fairly high.

This. You're close to one of the best breweries on the planet that has numerous great beers in tons of different styles. I'd do sick things to try Feral One...

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

crazyfish posted:

NEVER FORGET

In my many years of shower beer, I've taken some strange things in there. Ultimately, low ABV is the winner for obvious reasons.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

If you haven't drank a 12+% BA Stout out of a snifter in the shower you haven't truly lived.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

ChickenArise posted:

NEVER FORGET

we picked up some more Rodenbach while out of town a little while back and i was really hoping to get some photo evidence this time, but no dice.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

I poo poo-talk Evil Twin a lot these days (mostly when Jeppe's a oval office on Twitter), but ET Bikini Beer is one of the best showerbeers I've ever had. Especially after 14 hours in a brewery. In general, light-bodied and low-gravity is the way to go on a showerbeer. Save the snifter beers for a long bath with candles.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Me in Reverse posted:

If you haven't drank a 12+% BA Stout out of a snifter in the shower you haven't truly lived.

I showerbeered one of the mikkeller (or evil twin?) christmas beers a couple of weeks ago. It was not a pleasant experience. After many hours of testing, I have concluded that the optimal showerbeers are SNPA and Newcastle.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Ubik posted:

I poo poo-talk Evil Twin a lot these days (mostly when Jeppe's a oval office on Twitter), but ET Bikini Beer is one of the best showerbeers I've ever had. Especially after 14 hours in a brewery. In general, light-bodied and low-gravity is the way to go on a showerbeer. Save the snifter beers for a long bath with candles.

I'm not sure whose the bigger oval office on Twitter, Jeppe or your boss.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
So I just finished up a weekend in San Diego. Got a chance to tour Lost Abbey/Port Brewing, Stone's Bistro (Escondido), and AleSmith. Additionally, made it over to Poor House Brewing, Amplified Ale Works, and PB Ale House Brewing.

Of all the above, enjoyed Lost Abbey the most. The tour there is fantastic and was able to pick up Red Poppy (Flemish Red by Lost Abbey). Poor House Brewing had a really great neighborhood feel and if I lived nearby, I'd be there all the time. Stone's Bistro was really relaxing and quite enjoyable. AleSmith was a poo poo show when we got there but they had some great special editions, Jamaican Blue Mountain Speedway Stout and Bourbon Soaked Wee Heavy.

All in all, highly recommend San Diego. Would buy again.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

rufius posted:

Of all the above, enjoyed Lost Abbey the most. The tour there is fantastic and was able to pick up Red Poppy

Who's doing the tours these days? I haven't taken one since Sage was giving them. ("This is our keg lifter, it attaches like fuckin' R2D2!")

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.
Oh man apparently of all the times I am out of the central coast, barrelworks releases their first bottled sour? Anyone had a chance to try Feral one yet?

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

Undercover Investigation Shut-down Ale is loving awesome, and was a nice treat to see at Trader Joe's while grocery shopping because I forgot that it comes out around now. Really great balance between the hops and malt, and one of my favorite Lagunitas seasonals.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Welp that's probably the last Hunahpu's Day.

Welp, it's official:

http://thefullpint.com/beer-news/exclusive-rip-hunahpus-day-will-go-distribution-next-year/

Dear FL Beer Geeks: I'm sure some Midwest folks will be able to give truck chasing strategies.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Why are beer geeks obsessed with the same five hop strains?

Tired Hands posted a poll on Facebook today asking what hop they should use in their first beer of a single-hop series they're doing.

loving everyone wants to see Citra, Chinook, Galaxy, Simcoe, Amarillo...

Why does nobody want to try something different? The other options included Falconer's Flight, Zythos, Columbus...

[/whine]

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
In line for Monk's Mad Monday - annual charity beer event at Monk's Cafe in Philly. Line's probably 50-75 deep with two hours to go. But hey, I'll get to try PtY today!

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

danbanana posted:

Welp, it's official:

http://thefullpint.com/beer-news/exclusive-rip-hunahpus-day-will-go-distribution-next-year/

Dear FL Beer Geeks: I'm sure some Midwest folks will be able to give truck chasing strategies.

Hunahpu's day seeemed like less of a clusterfuck compared to Dark Lord Day and I had thought about going for years, but that's a shame to hear.

Jester King's special releases have all gone very smoothly outside of the effort of mashing F5 to sign up for bottles online. I was talking with Scott Metzger from Freetail about this, and he pointed out that we mostly hear negative feedback. What are other breweries who have done a good job handling these types of releases?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

air- posted:

What are other breweries who have done a good job handling these types of releases?

Upland. Internet lottery. Mixing a bottle release with a tasting event is a horrible clusterfuck as history shows. Do one or the other.

Or hell, do the event with X guaranteed bottles for each attendee, and internet lottery the tickets.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Podima posted:

In line for Monk's Mad Monday - annual charity beer event at Monk's Cafe in Philly. Line's probably 50-75 deep with two hours to go. But hey, I'll get to try PtY today!

Drink the Broken Elevator if you haven't had it. It's an experience.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Me in Reverse posted:

Upland. Internet lottery. Mixing a bottle release with a tasting event is a horrible clusterfuck as history shows. Do one or the other.

Except Upland is absolutely AWFUL at properly informing it's customer's of process. Literally seconds before I bought tix to last year's Sour Fest, they made it known that- unlike previous years- bottles wouldn't be able to be purchased. Or random announcements on which pick up location is open which day. Or general ineptness is sending out emails as to who won what. It's not a bad concept but they have a lot of trouble in execution.

I've only been to one DLD (last year's) and it was remarkably well run. Granted, it was the first year with their expanded layout, which from all accounts was light years better than the previous couple. The line to pick up bottles was stupid long but it went as efficiently as you could expect with thousands of people in line.

But as I stated earlier: this shouldn't be an issue for people who run businesses and it's kind of shameful to the industry that it continues to be. When I explained the Huna Day thing to my girlfriend Saturday night, her first response was "don't they hire a planner for something like that?" If you're expecting more than a few hundred people to show up to your fest, you probably should. And if you are and stuff like this is still happening? Then you're not properly accounting for the consumers you're supplying.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Alesmith's online no-proxy ticketed bottle releases have, by all accounts, gone remarkably smoothly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasHangman
Feb 27, 2011

I'm the captain of the gravy train!

Podima posted:

I may be right in front of you.

I intend on getting Younger today, but I'm not sure what else to get.