Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
This is probably going to make me look like a massive amateur/stupid, but lenses are still magic and fairy dust to me sometimes, despite me having done filming and editing for 5 years or so. Sometimes I just do what works, and it'd be nice to start thinking specifically about things in order to get the shot that I need. Our cameras have fixed lenses so we're limited to whatever they can do, hence I don't get a chance to learn :(

Wide depth of fields, specifically in stuff like live sports on the wide shot of the field/ring/court/whatever. Is that just down to lots of light, narrow aperture, and short focal length? Or is there something else about the large TV Cameras with box lenses that gives the shot the look it has?

Obviously when they cut to a mid shot/close up camera following a particular player, they're zoomed in a lot, and you can see the depth of field moving while they hunt focus, but that wide shot always looks absolutely sharp no matter what the distance to the camera is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

thehustler posted:

This is probably going to make me look like a massive amateur/stupid, but lenses are still magic and fairy dust to me sometimes, despite me having done filming and editing for 5 years or so. Sometimes I just do what works, and it'd be nice to start thinking specifically about things in order to get the shot that I need. Our cameras have fixed lenses so we're limited to whatever they can do, hence I don't get a chance to learn :(

Wide depth of fields, specifically in stuff like live sports on the wide shot of the field/ring/court/whatever. Is that just down to lots of light, narrow aperture, and short focal length? Or is there something else about the large TV Cameras with box lenses that gives the shot the look it has?

Obviously when they cut to a mid shot/close up camera following a particular player, they're zoomed in a lot, and you can see the depth of field moving while they hunt focus, but that wide shot always looks absolutely sharp no matter what the distance to the camera is.

I don't know what cameras they're using, but smaller sensors also increase depth of field so that could be a factor as well.

A smug sociopath
Feb 13, 2012

Unironically alpha.
TV cameras have very small image sensors so they always have deep focus when wide.

That's one of the huge reliefs for people who have mostly used digital when the move to HDSLR's came. Back when shooting with XH-A1's or XM2/PD-170 etc older digital camcorders it was a huge pain in the rear end to get any kind of shallow focus on the wide end so often I'd end up shooting everything zoomed in to get even some kind of object separation. The larger the sensor the shallower the dof.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Thanks both, wondered about the sensors too.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

A smug sociopath posted:

That's one of the huge reliefs for people who have mostly used digital when the move to HDSLR's came. Back when shooting with XH-A1's or XM2/PD-170 etc older digital camcorders it was a huge pain in the rear end to get any kind of shallow focus on the wide end so often I'd end up shooting everything zoomed in to get even some kind of object separation. The larger the sensor the shallower the dof.

As someone that also pulls focus, gently caress full frame cameras. Wide open used to be an actual aesthetic choice instead of ..whatever you want to call it now. A cliche? A trope? Really annoying?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

zer0spunk posted:

As someone that also pulls focus, gently caress full frame cameras. Wide open used to be an actual aesthetic choice instead of ..whatever you want to call it now. A cliche? A trope? Really annoying?

Call it what it is -- what people who don't know anything about cameras shoot.

A smug sociopath
Feb 13, 2012

Unironically alpha.

zer0spunk posted:

It's a relief to have the option. I find the vimeo-shoot everything open wide handheld-style as gross as anyone - but having spent so much time with small chip cameras, I have no love for them or their aesthetic.

Except when I'm doing talkshow work, in which case I welcome the option to not touch the focus handle.

A smug sociopath fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Mar 4, 2014

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
What surprises me most is people using large sensor cameras wide open for ENG style interviews and documentary shooting. First time I saw that happen, with the poor operator pulling his own focus on a 70mm EF lens, I honestly thought that maybe he knew something that I didn't about focusing it because I couldn't imagine it being a good idea for a news-style interview. But sure enough, watching the finished item on tv it was out of focus constantly. Not just a little soft, completely out of focus! It was horrible to watch this huge close up where everytime the subject as much as breathed he would go out of focus. The operator obviously tried desperately to keep up but was always lagging far behind and his constant jerking of the lens was making the shot even more shaky than normal. I don't understand how anyone could possibly think that was a good idea. It could work in a wide shot with a 5.6 or up but this obsession with shallow DOF (because it's more cinematic I guess?) fucks that up so back to long lenses on 1.8 we go! Or 3.5 if they don't want to spring for a good lens, still wide open.

The idea of 4K broadcasts fills me with dread now because that problem will only get worse (unless they start booking ACs for multicam shoots, but somehow I doubt people will be willing to pay for that since budgets are still shrinking). The idea of television cameramen having to pull their own focus on 4K with long lenses...it's terrifying!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Great points, I find it hard enough with a full 1080p ENG camera sometimes to do focus without a better monitor connected. Which then rather removes the point of it being pick-up-and-go ENG. Peaking on the viewfinder helps but it isn't perfect.

And yes, those cliched film-look pieces are getting irritating now. The BBC used them during the Winter Olympics for short films around the camp, and seeing the constant quick zooms and focusing was irritating. You expect the shoddy bits to have cutaways over them but nope. Sometimes you see cameras like that used for extreme close-up second angle in a multicam setting and that's great but to use it as your main camera is just bad bad bad

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Shooting very shallow on full frame has an advantage for the small budget filmmaker - you don't need to spend money on set dressing if it's all gonna be blurry anyways :downs:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

1st AD posted:

Shooting very shallow on full frame has an advantage for the small budget filmmaker - you don't need to spend money on set dressing if it's all gonna be blurry anyways :downs:

natural light is so organic, man

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
It's just got that feel

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Nice meeting you on Monday, EnsGDT! You guys destroyed us on tuesday wrapping out your stages. That had to one of the most chaotic days Ive had here.

The l&d list is uh.....impressive.

Perhaps Ill see you next year!

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Great to meet you too! I can imagine that it was probably a little nuts over there. I was in a flight back to LA by the time our G+E was called to come wrap out.

I hope that L&D wasn't too much stuff from out stage. Hopefully it was just the other ones :)

I hope I'm there again soon man!

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
Hey guys, I have a poorly constructed question

If I wanted to get into making videos, what's more important?

A good camera (like a Canon 5D MKIII) with like the standard Canon 24-105mm lens, or a entry level camera (Canon T3i) with a good lens? Was looking at this http://www.sigmaphoto.com/product/18-35mm-f18-dc-hsm-a

Let's say the stuff I'd be shooting would vary from night time urban scenery, to darker indoor stuff, to bright outdoorsy stuff.

It isn't a that large of a stretch to get the 5D body only + that sigma lens, but I already have a T3i so I don't know if getting a 5D is worth it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

It takes a lot to properly put video together, a camera and lens is only but one piece of the puzzle.

Post examples of the videos you would like to make and that would give a better idea of the equipment you'd need.

Also that Sigma lens is crop only, so while it works with your Rebel it won't on any full frame camera.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why wouldn't you start with what you have? Depending on what you want to do, the camera and lens might wind up being the last things you'd want to spend money on.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

A smug sociopath posted:

I find the vimeo-shoot everything open wide handheld-style as gross as anyone
I'm counting the days until journalists just shoot everything themselves with a clip-on GoPro :)

Politicians will have to invent a way to look approachable and friendly when distorted by a fisheye.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

A lot of places are starting to issue journo's iPhones and expecting them to do stories with that, so you'll be waxing nostalgic for DSLR videos in the news media.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

powderific posted:

Why wouldn't you start with what you have? Depending on what you want to do, the camera and lens might wind up being the last things you'd want to spend money on.

Well I have started but I'm extremely new and uneducated when it comes to cameras. Since I work around them all the time and have always been into audio equipment I'm pretty knowledgeable as to all the other things I need.

As for videos that I'd like to make, it really varies. The only video I've ever done was from my first semester in uni with the kit T3i lens, a lightbulb, and a lovely $20 lav. I'll share, but with some reticence since the audio and videography is bad and there are some embarrassing edits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZAuez8eLEQ

What do you guys think I could have done better video quality wise?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

You need more motion in your shots (tripod pans, tilts, or dollies) because your shots are completely locked down in a lot of spots. It doesn't match the vibe of your music choice which is this beautiful sweeping piano piece.

Also this is way too long. The old guy isn't saying that much that is all that interesting. This could be like a minute and a half long and it would say the same things.

A new camera and/or a new lens wouldn't have helped you here.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

1st AD posted:

You need more motion in your shots (tripod pans, tilts, or dollies) because your shots are completely locked down in a lot of spots. It doesn't match the vibe of your music choice which is this beautiful sweeping piano piece.

Also this is way too long. The old guy isn't saying that much that is all that interesting. This could be like a minute and a half long and it would say the same things.

A new camera and/or a new lens wouldn't have helped you here.

I appreciate your critiques but I wasn't really looking for a critique on the content itself since I already know it's not filmed or edited well. I'm more wondering if the captured video quality alone would have benefited more from a better camera or lens, or is the T3i capable, and I just wasn't utilizing it well enough?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

In what ways do you think that quality could have been improved that are solely attributed to your body and lens?

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

1st AD posted:

In what ways do you think that quality could have been improved that are solely attributed to your body and lens?

Well when I look at the raw footage it's fairly grainy and just not that good looking. I don't know if that's the camera itself or me doing something wrong in the settings.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Is grainy footage affecting your ability to tell the story of a coffee roaster?

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

1st AD posted:

It affects my ability to have not grainy footage mainly

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
You're not going to be happy with any DSLR. DSLRs shoot grainy, lovely footage. There is no way around it. If you don't like the image quality in what you just linked, don't buy another DSLR. I've put my Zeiss glass on my 5D for some small things and the image still sucks, because it's a DSLR. It's an image that people have come to accept because of the convenience, and its look has become teeth-gratingly popular because it's accessible to everyone on every budget.

1st AD posted:

This is exactly what I mean – grainy footage sucks, and people are so used to lovely DSLR work that nobody even cares any more how noisy something is. I applaud your desire to have a better quality image but you're not going to get it on a DSLR budget.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Slim Killington posted:

You're not going to be happy with any DSLR. DSLRs shoot grainy, lovely footage. There is no way around it. If you don't like the image quality in what you just linked, don't buy another DSLR. I've put my Zeiss glass on my 5D for some small things and the image still sucks, because it's a DSLR. It's an image that people have come to accept because of the convenience, and its look has become teeth-gratingly popular because it's accessible to everyone on every budget.

This is exactly what I mean – grainy footage sucks, and people are so used to lovely DSLR work that nobody even cares any more how noisy something is. I applaud your desire to have a better quality image but you're not going to get it on a DSLR budget.

This is the kind of answer I was seeking, thank you.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I've posted as such earlier in the thread, but it bears repeating. I'd recommend renting equipment before you make any big purchases.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly

Shogunner posted:

This is the kind of answer I was seeking, thank you.

I think that using a T3i is perfectly adequate for a camera to own. Anything more expensive should be rented and not bought. You could improve your lighting technique. Increasing light would alleviate noise issues. And/or perhaps better Canon lenses. And try to shoot with a 1/50 shutter, it'll do wonders for cinematic visual quality.

DO NOT believe anyone when they say you need to buy a more expensive camera. T3i is perfectly fine to low budget stuff, don't throw away your money. If anything buy better lenses that are faster, like any of the L series f/2.8 zoom lenses.

Again if it's not cutting it for a particular job then you should just rent better cameras.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I'd add that you shouldn't buy gear beyond a cheapo body and a couple primes if you're not making any money from this.

Like, image quality on a DSLR isn't a show stopper unless you are doing paid work. And even then it might not be.

Shot this on a hacked 5Dmk3. I probably wouldn't ever do this again since I had to rent it and the cards needed and work with a janky raw workflow, but it got the job done. The most important thing in this piece was really the lighting and the motion graphics anyways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2CFgzqPzvM

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

1st AD posted:

A lot of places are starting to issue journo's iPhones and expecting them to do stories with that, so you'll be waxing nostalgic for DSLR videos in the news media.

I love my Facebook feed.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens

1st AD posted:

I love my Facebook feed.

Jesus... I can't stop laughing at this. What a ridiculous setup, there's so many things wrong here not even counting his utility belt. Also those lights are literally just wasting battery on a bright trade show floor like that. They're not even providing the slightest fill at that distance. So silly.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

When making the Battle of Algiers cinematographer Marcello Gatti bought pretty much the cheapest film stock he could find to make the film as grainy as possible. Because back in those days graininess was considered realistic. Newsreels were grainy black and white while colour was mostly for musicals and epics. When it gets remade it's probably going to be found footage shot on a phone because that's realistic now.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens

FreudianSlippers posted:

When making the Battle of Algiers cinematographer Marcello Gatti bought pretty much the cheapest film stock he could find to make the film as grainy as possible. Because back in those days graininess was considered realistic. Newsreels were grainy black and white while colour was mostly for musicals and epics. When it gets remade it's probably going to be found footage shot on a phone because that's realistic now.
I think it's more about being recognizable than realism. It's another level of immersion to an audience because they associate a certain look with certain types of situations. In your example most of the audiences of the time were very familiar with newsreels from warzones and how they looked so Gatti emulated that. Nowadays a phone would indeed be a great choice for found footage films because the audience instantly connects with it on that level, i.e. it's a look that is instantly recognizable. Hell, one of the segments in V/H/S was done using Skype (which I thought was very cleverly done). Although I do find that most people that do this tend to go for a facsimile of the look, so rather than using an actual phone they'll still use a proper camera and lighting and then downgrade that later so they have more control over the image in post. It's a very good way of getting a lot of ideas conveyed to the audience very quickly within the story.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Speaking of DSLRs...

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/nikon-cameras-used-to-film-london-live-24139

quote:

Nikon UK today announces that London Live, the first 24 hour entertainment channel devoted to London, will be using Nikon digital SLR cameras in their new London-based studio.

Working with Nikon and Mark Roberts Motion Control (MRMC), London Live has helped develop a new state-of-the-art robotic system, featuring a nine axis robotic arm at the heart of the automated studio. The channel will be broadcasting live using Nikon D800 and D4 series cameras for a full-frame 35mm cinematic effect.

Jeremy Gilbert, Group Marketing Manager, Nikon UK says: "This exciting new solution combines the stunning image quality that Nikon is famed for, with the precision that comes from MRMC robotics to offer a state of the art automated work flow for London Live.

By working with the 24/7 TV channel we’ve been able to develop a cost-effective solution that allows broadcasters to operate in niche demographic markets, catering for regional broadcast requirements."

Bryn Balcombe, Technology Director, London Live says: "Building a television channel from scratch has given us an exciting opportunity to source the most innovative new technology and find less traditional and more cost-effective ways of doing things. Nikon’s digital SLR cameras will be perfect for our new London-based studio, allowing us to provide fast-paced, 24 hour broadcasting without compromising the image quality for our viewers".

London Live launches on 31st March 2014. More details about the innovative technology will be available following the launch of the channel.

This is mad, right? Progressive output would look crap on a news show, and I'm going to imagine that very few live broadcasts are produced in progressive and not interlaced. If we were at 50fps broadcast framerates for 1080HD we'd be ok, but otherwise this is just going to be weird.

Worth noting that these local TV stations like London Live are a brand new thing that's just starting in the UK so obviously they don't want to spend £££ on broadcast camera heads and CCUs.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It sounds like a publicity thing for Nikon and the robotics company. I love my D800 in general but can't imagine it being a great choice for this kind of thing, and the D4 is terrible if it's not shooting in crop mode.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I imagine the real expense here is the lenses, but nobody's piping up about supplying them because they're embarrassed.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Also lets hope they don't overheat. I know DSLRs sometimes have a cut off so you don't record for long periods of time, but do they overheat when not actually recording?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

thehustler posted:

Also lets hope they don't overheat. I know DSLRs sometimes have a cut off so you don't record for long periods of time, but do they overheat when not actually recording?

I've never had a D600 or D800 overheat.

The recording cutoff has a lot more to do with certain taxes applied to cameras that function as video recording devices; the recording limits allow manufacturers to bypass this.