Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

OH MY GOD I WANT IT

And yes, Indalecio is a chump once you've done the Cave of Trials, but not until. That was my point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

It's not Magitek Armor. :colbert:

It's pretty amazing though. Maybe the CE will go on sale again in the next month, we'll see.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Holy poo poo, the gysahl greens on a string

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's not Magitek Armor. :colbert:

It's pretty amazing though. Maybe the CE will go on sale again in the next month, we'll see.

Is this sufficient?

No? How about this?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Still pissed I didn't get the CE when I bought the game. I want that drat Fat Chocobo.

And the game seems to be on sale on Amazon every other month or so. There will probably be another sale later this month or so once Patch 2.2 comes out.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
My favourite character moment in Final Fantasy 8 was when Fuijin drops the speech pattern. That was surprisingly poignant as she never deviated from SPEECH. WEIRD. ANGRY., then suddenly, when the going gets really rough and she is just about to see Seifer destroy himself she drops her tough gal gimmick and just wholeheartedly implores him. I never even knew she could speak normally until that point.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It was a good moment. It helped that it had "The Oath" playing as well.

I used to love watching that final confrontation with Seifer over and over again because of how he he destroyed Odin. Didn't see that one coming.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Everyone, mark your calendars. Final Fantasy Type-0's fan translation will be out on August 8th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAV7CzVCIL4

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's a surprise considering the tone of their last news update about Type-0's translation, but if they think they need to do that, good luck to them.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Krad posted:

Everyone, mark your calendars. Final Fantasy Type-0's fan translation will be out on August 8th.

Why didn't they localize this?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Excels posted:

Because it's a PSP game and the system's dead as dogshit in the west

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Fungah! posted:

Because it's a PSP game and the system's dead as dogshit in the west

it was pretty dead in japan too, the vita isn't doing much better either.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Excels posted:

Because they didn't think there would be a return on the investment that a translation represents.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Excels posted:

it was pretty dead in japan too, the vita isn't doing much better either.

The PSP had a pretty good install base in Japan and new releases were still trickling out when Type-0 was released. The system never really took off in a big way in the west (which is a shame, by the way, there were a bunch of pretty good games for it by the time the vita launched) and by the time the localization would have come out the Vita was on the horizon. S-E actually considered localizing it, incidentally, there's some mention of it in the Ultimania guide for I think XIII, but at some point someone must have decided it wasn't worth the relatively decent risk of just flopping due to a poor install base.

e: or yeah what he said

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Releasing Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker on the PSP was a pretty stupid idea considering how much of a success the series is internationally, when the only people who still used a PSP outside of Japan in 2010 had custom firmware, emulators, and pirated games.

The problem with Square Enix is that they make games exclusive for no reason, which leads to series like Kingdom Hearts being splintered across Sony and Nintendo systems. They could have released Type-0 on the 3DS and Vita, both of which could support online co-op and wouldn't have to split it across two discs.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That loving Sned posted:

Releasing Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker on the PSP was a pretty stupid idea considering how much of a success the series is internationally, when the only people who still used a PSP outside of Japan in 2010 had custom firmware, emulators, and pirated games.

The problem with Square Enix is that they make games exclusive for no reason, which leads to series like Kingdom Hearts being splintered across Sony and Nintendo systems. They could have released Type-0 on the 3DS and Vita, both of which could support online co-op and wouldn't have to split it across two discs.

Square-Enix still doing things the way they were commonly done15 years ago? What a surprise.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Krad posted:

At 45 seconds in is that a list of party members? :stare:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

That loving Sned posted:

I think this is more of a case of unfortunate timing rather than Square being stupid about multiplatform games. That being said their deciding to suddenl change the game from a phone game to a PSP game and work from the ground up is. They ended up releasing Agito anyways, so this whole thing has been weird.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

At 45 seconds in is that a list of party members? :stare:

Yep.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

I don't think that it's necessarily no reason. If you look at their games the ones that make sense as multiplatform usually are and the ones that aren't, aren't. Type-0 was made in the wake of the post-Monster Hunter PSP explosion in Japan where the DS had died down and the PSP was consistently the best selling console week after week. I imagine they started development on the PSP version that arose out of the ashes of the failed mobile Agito XIII before the PSP really started being abandoned in the west.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I hope to get a PSP in the next month or two and while my first priority is JRPGs, I was wondering if you guys would recommend Dissidia? How hard is it as a fighting game? I'm mainly of the Tekken school of fighting games ie. barely adequate.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

So I hope to get a PSP in the next month or two and while my first priority is JRPGs, I was wondering if you guys would recommend Dissidia? How hard is it as a fighting game? I'm mainly of the Tekken school of fighting games ie. barely adequate.

It's not that hard until you're going up against the bullshit superbosses. Get the sequel, it's better and has the first game in it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Seconding Duodecim:Dissidia, or whatever order the title is in. As Hellioning said, it's not exactly difficult unless you're doing optional bullshit bits, has customisation and the story is bad, but it has novelty by its nature.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Don't go into it thinking "fighting game". It's more of a versus Action RPG.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Have you played Kingdom Hearts? It's a little bit like Kingdom Hearts, combat wise. Sans talking ducks, which is a point against it.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Orgia Carnaval posted:

I think this is more of a case of unfortunate timing rather than Square being stupid about multiplatform games. That being said their deciding to suddenl change the game from a phone game to a PSP game and work from the ground up is. They ended up releasing Agito anyways, so this whole thing has been weird.

SE is still retarded for not even considering an HD console release of the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Krad posted:

SE is still retarded for not even considering an HD console release of the game.

Honestly, I don't think so.

Type-0 is a Monster Hunter style game. Those are not unpopular but not hugely popular either and especially in Japan they're more likely to want it on a handheld instead of a console because of the culture there. So you'd effectively be devoting the resources to an HD version (including dubbing it for the first time) for a game that is unlikely to fly off the shelves.

Most of the handheld-to-HD ports you see are updates of games that are already in English, already have dubs, and are usually sold for $20 because they already exist on other platforms. Spending their time porting KH:BBS or porting a game to iOS whatever is more likely to turn a profit for them.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 9, 2014

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Should I get the old FF Tactics or the updated (well not updated that recently) War of Lions one? Played the hell out of the old one back in the day, but not sure if I'll like the changes (read them, but hard to tell if I like them without playing it) enough to balance out being a crotchety old man who liked the other one just fine, thank you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KDdidit posted:

Should I get the old FF Tactics or the updated (well not updated that recently) War of Lions one? Played the hell out of the old one back in the day, but not sure if I'll like the changes (read them, but hard to tell if I like them without playing it) enough to balance out being a crotchety old man who liked the other one just fine, thank you.

The script is much better and more coherent and it has extra content but the gameplay has slowdown. If you're just playing for the gameplay, the original is probably the way to go. If you're playing for the story too then get the PSP version.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Type-0 is a Monster Hunter style game. Those are not unpopular but not hugely popular either and especially in Japan they're more likely to want it on a handheld instead of a console because of the culture there. So you'd effectively be devoting the resources to an HD version (including dubbing it for the first time) for a game that is unlikely to fly off the shelves.

At least now I know I'm not missing anything. Monster Hunter's BORING

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Squallege posted:

At least now I know I'm not missing anything. Monster Hunter's BORING

It's not 100% monster hunter, I don't mean to imply that. It plays a lot more like Crisis Core than it does MH. and it has more RPG elements but it's clearly designed in the same sort of "group mission co-op play" style and there are a lot of obviously MH-inspired design elements.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

ImpAtom posted:

Most of the handheld-to-HD ports you see are updates of games that are already in English, already have dubs, and are usually sold for $20 because they already exist on other platforms. Spending their time porting KH:BBS or porting a game to iOS whatever is more likely to turn a profit for them.

Look, it worked for Peace Walker, I don't see why Type-0 would do any worse than that. The FF brand alone would've done wonders for it, but maybe not now after the whole XIII crapfest we had to endure for the last couple of years.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

The script is much better and more coherent and it has extra content but the gameplay has slowdown. If you're just playing for the gameplay, the original is probably the way to go. If you're playing for the story too then get the PSP version.

The slowdown was fixed a year or so back by a fan patch. You need custom firmware to install it, but it makes the PSP version the best version.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Krad posted:

Look, it worked for Peace Walker, I don't see why Type-0 would do any worse than that. The FF brand alone would've done wonders for it, but maybe not now after the whole XIII crapfest we had to endure for the last couple of years.

Peace Walker already had a full English script and dub, basically. That kind of stuff is more expensive than a lot of people give it credit for.

And it is a FFXIII game. It has l'cie and fal'cie and Etro and everything. It references Pulse and Lindzei and all that stuff. The lead scenario writer is the same guy who did Lightning Returns. If the idea is that people won't buy FFXIII games, Type-0 is unlikely to change that because you can't discuss the plot without bringing up L'cie.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 10, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Type-0 is a Monster Hunter style game. Those are not unpopular but not hugely popular either and especially in Japan they're more likely to want it on a handheld instead of a console because of the culture there.

You might be the first person I've heard say Monster Hunter isn't huge, especially in Japan.

Ragequit posted:

The slowdown was fixed a year or so back by a fan patch. You need custom firmware to install it, but it makes the PSP version the best version.

The slowdown was fixed last summer/fall in the iOS builds as well. The animations are a little too fast now but that's fine because after you've seen a skill/spell a few dozen times the speedup is welcome.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Krad posted:

It's a dumb idea, but they could rename it to tie in with Final Fantasy XV. The original idea was that XIII, Versus XIII, and Agito XIII would all share the same mythology, attempting to create an overarching storyline that could be followed across multiple games.

However, XIII got its own direct sequels and the other two games were delayed, so anything using the XIII name would be assumed to be another sequel to that horrible story. Besides, only the first game really does anything with the mythology that links them.

They could call it Final Fantasy Agito XV or Final Fantasy XV: Type-0. In any case, it plays a lot more like XV than it does XIII, giving your direct control of your character, not using a separate battle screen, and being able to switch between other characters on the fly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

You might be the first person I've heard say Monster Hunter isn't huge, especially in Japan.

In the US, which is what we were talking about. Japan obviously got Type-0. An HD remake for consoles is almost universally something done for a US audience because handhelds/mobile games are currently dominant in Japan.

That loving Sned posted:

However, XIII got its own direct sequels and the other two games were delayed, so anything using the XIII name would be assumed to be another sequel to that horrible story. Besides, only the first game really does anything with the mythology that links them.

The mythology that FF-T0 references is actually a lot more prevalent in XIII-2 than in XIII. v:shobon:v And as far as we know XV is more Etro Bullshit which is all XIII-2.

It's really really hard to disguise XIII and Type-0's connection. XV (at least as far as they've mentioned) doesn't seem to use fal'cie and l'cie and while it is using Etro we haven't heard anything about Pulse or Lindzei or any of that poo poo. All those things are mentioned in Type-0 and you can't really hide them since even a simple story trailer is going to mention it. And what does it matter if they do rebrand it? It's a FFXIII game and has a stupid story that is stupid in a lot of the same ways Lightning Returns is stupid because the same guy did the scenario for both.

If people are expecting Type-0 to be more like Bravely Default, they're going to be really disappointed. It has a lot more in common with modern Final Fantasy games.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 10, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So sorry if I'm like swerving things off in another direction but I brought up some srs businss talk in the DmC LP thread and it reminded me of a topic from a couple years ago on here. Some of you might remember it, it was called something like "Positive Portrayals of Women in Video Gaming."

One of the chief examples I had (besides Olga in MGS2) was Ashe from Final Fantasy XII. She and some other FF females were dismissed because of their designs. I'm sure anyone here for more than five seconds has heard people in this thread complain about the misfortune of her attire.

Also that posem which is just so...bizarre and makes her seem weak to my eyes.

But anyway, what I wanted to get at is, do you think a well-written female (which I think Ashe is but if you disagree, just substitute your own favorite FF lady) can still be respectable even if she's designed like this?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

NikkolasKing posted:

But anyway, what I wanted to get at is, do you think a well-written female (which I think Ashe is but if you disagree, just substitute your own favorite FF lady) can still be respectable even if she's designed like this?

Who wasn't showing flesh in that game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

sassassin posted:

Who wasn't showing flesh in that game?

The Judges are the most clothed people in the game and they had no other choice than to be.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot there was a female judge.

Squallege fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 10, 2014