Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Waffles Inc. posted:

Can we all band together and collectively vote Science Cops out of the game because arghargharghagrharghargh

(I actually love them just not playing against them)

We had a 300 pt DC only game just for fun (Legion Flight Ring) and I played Lt. Gordon, Cop Car, a couple Soldiers and Rachel Dawes, which is a team of ENTIRELY free actions basically. Mon-El and two Science Cops on loving Bizarro World basically rendered me intert

die die dieeeeee

Just remember: the damage is only if they're given a free action AFTER being given a non-free action. Just have a piloted Cruiser carry Gordon and don't give him a free move action. Personally, I look forward to playing a 500-point Blight team of my now-7 Science Police Officers (I got another three last night and might get more) along with Ultra Boy, the Tank Turret, and either the Eye of Agamotto or Iron Man Briefcase Armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

ManiacClown posted:

Just remember: the damage is only if they're given a free action AFTER being given a non-free action. Just have a piloted Cruiser carry Gordon and don't give him a free move action. Personally, I look forward to playing a 500-point Blight team of my now-7 Science Police Officers (I got another three last night and might get more) along with Ultra Boy, the Tank Turret, and either the Eye of Agamotto or Iron Man Briefcase Armor.

Yeah, the biggest problem though was the soldier free attacks were basically completely negated :(

Captain Satire
May 3, 2005

Chris Cooley is my Life Coach.
What would be the best way to use Mon El?

As part of a turtle team with his 10 range? I could pair him with lightning lad and do some big damage.

Or as the tentpole and just surround him with supports?

I'm inclined to use him as a tentpole, but worry that I wouldn't have enough damage if he went down.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves

Captain Satire posted:

What would be the best way to use Mon El?

As part of a turtle team with his 10 range? I could pair him with lightning lad and do some big damage.

Or as the tentpole and just surround him with supports?

I'm inclined to use him as a tentpole, but worry that I wouldn't have enough damage if he went down.

Hey Satire, did either of you record the match you had with Morand?

Captain Satire
May 3, 2005

Seymour Butts posted:

Hey Satire, did either of you record the match you had with Morand?

Nah sorry. It was mostly me learning, so doubt it would have been very interesting for most. I strongly advise others to take him up next time he offers.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Sanschel posted:

100 Cyke
Iron Pharoah
AIM Renegade x2
Thunderbolt Ross (Airstrike)
Aldrich Killian
30 Loki

I used this for AvX 3 today and curbstomped everyone. I underestimated how many figures I'd see that share keywords with Pharaoh and he wound up routinely doing 6 damage to anybody he was shooting at from across the map. Round one a 1-2 punch from Pharaoh and Ross killed 200 Cap and put AVM Hawkeye and CW Mockingbird way down (thanks elevation!); round 2 the floor fell out from under my dice and I struggled against a Phoenix Five Cyclops before my rolls rebounded and his AvX counterpart hammered him down (Cyke also killed his AvX Emma, while an AE'd Red Hulk managed to KO Northstar and Hope Summers; you can't fight a retractable mustache, son!); round 3 I one hit KO'd AvX Thor and spent the rest of the match struggling with Fantomex, who fell just as time was called.

There was an ROC up north yesterday and apparently Pharaoh had a strong showing there; after using him today I totally can see why, the dude's a beast.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Am I understanding correctly or can the Falcon not be killed?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Waffles Inc. posted:

Am I understanding correctly or can the Falcon not be killed?

Correct, it isn't a bystander just a special terrain marker.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
So I played in my home venue's AvX 3, and played Thor at 100 with the Asgardian ATA, Scarlet Witch at 100, Spider-Man at 125, Dawnstar, a NOWHERE Soldier, a Science Police Officer, and the Batsignal. I wound up rolling everybody, even the local cheeselord, only losing the generics. Dawnstar makes this team terrifying, and pairing her with the Science Cop means that I essentially get to always get the first shot off, except for a guy in the last round who happily took four or five clicks of damage trying to kill people who weren't the cop.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

Captain Satire posted:

Nah sorry. It was mostly me learning, so doubt it would have been very interesting for most. I strongly advise others to take him up next time he offers.

Consider it an open offer to any newbies. I like teaching games. I get to whip out super casual teams.

Chumppell
Nov 9, 2007

Scott Free lived up to his name today. Having him as my last man standing was probably the best thing that could have happened. Just hopping through walls and ankle-biting, then spending a turn bouncing through walls while he recovered actions with sidestep. Also have some really big respect for the prohibitive power of even one Science Policier. Dealt at least 6 points of unavoidable damage in a free-for-all before he got dropped. Really like the utility and thorn-in-the-side nature of a lot of the commons and uncommons in SLoSH.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Fought in an AvX Month 3 today, with some unique rules: you have to play a themed team of your faction (Avengers, in my case), 400 points constructed, minimum 4 figures on your force, anything with a card is Modern Age, and the Phoenix Force is the only allowed resource.

I played full point AvX Spider-Man, 100 point Scarlet Witch, AvX Black Panther, Tony Stark, and the Phoenix Force with three fragments, assigning it to Panther and Spidey.

Right before Round 1 began I discovered another house rule: last month the judge had ruled that you couldn't leave fragments on the base of the Phoenix Force, you had to assign as many characters as you did fragments. I called him on that being incredibly wrong and he retreated, but said that since people had built thinking that was a rule, it wasn't fair to them to change it for this month. Not sure how it was fair to me for building things correctly only to get hit with that when I couldn't rebuild, especially since the key to my plans was leaving Colossus on the Phoenix Force to give Spidey and Panther invul down their dial and starting charge, which Panther in particular desperately needs. In rather ill graces I took the Namor fragment off my team.

Round 1 was against Dazzler, AvX Cyke and Emma, and 40 point Jean Grey, with everyone but Jean Phoenix Forced. It was a very close match (loving Emma and her loving uncounterable powers, she is so goddamn good it makes me sick) but I squeaked out a win 175-141, KOing Emma literally as last action was called.

Round 2 against AvX Wolverine and Spidey, Sharon Carter, and Dr. Voodoo, with only Voodoo using the Phoenix Force -- with the Cyclops fragment, no less. Dude didn't know what the gently caress he was doing. He kept splitting everyone up, I'd pounce on the most vulnerable one, and basically he fed his team to me one piece at a time. Won that 397-103.

Round 3 was against AvX Cyclops, 100 point Jean Grey, Polaris, and GSX Archangel. I alpha'd Archangel with a heavy to the face and the guy gave up right then and there, you could just see all the fight go out of him. He basically just stood his team in place and let me beat them to shreds, barely fighting back -- like, with Scarlet Witch and Black Panther standing literally next to each other, he focused his ranged attacks on Scarlet Witch, the harder target he'd have to roll more times to hit. Explain that to me. Clean sweep, 39-whatever to 0.

There's enough players at that venue that two people can go 3-0 and I had the lower point total, so I ended up in second. Counts as a win in my book. The overall skill at that venue is pretty low, which helped me out a great deal. That second guy had no idea how to play (seriously -- Dr. Voodoo? seriously?), the third one walked his biggest guns right up into my alpha strike range and then was surprised when Spidey took away his best attacker. First round dude knew what he was doing and made me work for it, at least.

Black Panther is an absolutely sick combination with Spidey and the Witch, though. Just keep on pumping out willpower so at least one of them is attacking every turn (Spidey in particular is devastating when he can keep on attacking instead of having to rest every other turn), plus you can immediately slap Willpower onto Scarlet Witch on turn 1 and No More Whatever without pushing her.

Month 4 is same rules except 500 points and the Phoenix Force will be ruled correctly. I'm a little sore about today and I want that Cyclops, I intend to bring the heat.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 10, 2014

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
Won my local AvsX month 3 event today with a very simple team:

Lex Luthor (SLoSH) 150
Bizarro (SLoSH) 150

Bizarro is just a fun piece, through and through, almost always either capable of 5 damage, or with shape change/Super senses. My local playgroup's opinion on him varied from, "Wow, that's weird," to "Wow, that's broken", to a slow nod, that not only can he be outwitted, but poisioned, or ganged up on with a 16 def.

Fun times.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Morand posted:

Consider it an open offer to any newbies. I like teaching games. I get to whip out super casual teams.

Hell consider it an open offer to all goons. If you want to try something casual or something hardcore, shoot me a PM. Skype games are fun.

I believe I'll have some time open tomorrow night.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

I just playtested a team for next weekend where Mon-El is the prize. The format is 300 Modern. At least one character has to either have "Green" in its character name or real name, be wearing primarily green, or have green skin. I tried the following against my friend's full-Gauntlet AVM202 Hulk.
pre:
SLSH051	Takion			175
AVM207B	Skrull Infiltrator	40
***ATA	Secret Invasion		2
BM006A	Hired Henchman		40
BM031	Alfred Pennyworth	42
-----------------------------------
			Total:	299
I think I'm going to run this. I won map roll and chose the post-cataclysm Amusement Park. I moved Takion andthe Henchman out so he couldn't special-Charge me for his full Speed, so he just moved out and tried to draw me in. I positioned Alfred for a better vantage point and Barriered with the Skrull, then rested Takion instead. He rested. I HSS/PWed him, hitting for 3, and moved as far back out as I could he charged me and hit for 5, healing 1. I took 2 after Invincible and did a Hypersonic breakaway, Pulse Waving as I did so. I hit him again and went back to the Henchman, who Supported Takion back to full. This went on a bit with him taking Alfred out on his next turn, but after that he didn't manage to KO anyone else, with the Skrull nailing a Skrulls roll and then crit-missing the turn after after quaking both him and the Henchman. I have learned that Takion is indeed a fearsome OMA in a 300-point game with solid support. I'd originally eBayed him cheap for trade fodder, but I think he may have a permanent home with me now.

Captain Satire
May 3, 2005

I know it's not the best move competitively, but am I a bad heroclix player if I only really want to run themed teams? Xmen with Xmen, Avengers with Avengers. Mixing up DC and Marvel clicks seems especially heinous.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
No, that's a perfectly serviceable way to build teams, and a good way to start out. I usually try to build to theme, because otherwise I get choicelock and have trouble actually building anything, not to mention that theme probs can really save you. I'll definitely cross properties if I'm building a generic theme, though, since that opens up some interesting combinations.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I think theme-headed players are great and I wish there was a way to have a venue that was exclusively that in a way that didn't seem like a big F-U to other players who aren't theme-heads. Just know going in that, as you said, you'll be sacrificing a bit of potential competitiveness. But I'm totally fine with that. I just like running the U-Foes or the Metal Men or figures that are supposed to go together, and all I really want to do is play against other comic theme teams.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Captain Satire posted:

I know it's not the best move competitively, but am I a bad heroclix player if I only really want to run themed teams? Xmen with Xmen, Avengers with Avengers. Mixing up DC and Marvel clicks seems especially heinous.

If it's more fun for you, I see no problem with having fun while playing a game.

Who doesn't prefer playing their favorites? I roll out my Frost Giant, Ares, and Junkpile as much as I can.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I usually play theme teams, just to avoid choice-lock if nothing else.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?

Morand posted:

Hell consider it an open offer to all goons. If you want to try something casual or something hardcore, shoot me a PM. Skype games are fun.

I believe I'll have some time open tomorrow night.

I may have to take you up on this sometime. I kinda suck at the game.

Captain Satire
May 3, 2005

Ok so I'm tossing up between three 400-point Legion teams.

Mon El 175
Glorith 83
Timber Wolf 97
Science Police Officer 45
400 points total - This team would have Mon El making use of his range and defend ability to keep both the Police Officer and Glorith up. Timber Wolf would be there to help when the other team got close.

or

Mon El 175
Sensor Girl 75
Shrinking Violet 75
Phantom Girl 72

397 points - This team would mostly support Mon El. It has Prob, Perplex, Incapacitate and Outwit.

or

Mon El 175
Sensor Girl 75
Lightning Lad 104
Science Police Officer 45
399 points total - Some long range hitting awesomeness.

Any thoughts?

Captain Satire fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 10, 2014

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Captain Satire posted:

Mon El 175
Sensor Girl 75
Shrinking Violet 75
Phantom Girl 72

397 points - This team would mostly support Mon El. It has Prob, Perplex, Incapacitate and Outwit.

Any thoughts?

Drop Phantom Girl for the Gravity Feed Cosmic boy, you gain TK and perplex.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

SublimeDelusions posted:

I may have to take you up on this sometime. I kinda suck at the game.

My night tonight just went from "I will be home at 7pm and tired" to "I will be home at 4pm and bored"

More then happy to play a quick game for fun tonight.

Captain Satire
May 3, 2005

Morand posted:

Drop Phantom Girl for the Gravity Feed Cosmic boy, you gain TK and perplex.

Oh, good idea. I forgot the GF Cosmic Boy was only 70 points. I also forgot Sensor Girl has Incapacitate so I'm not losing that either.

Edit: Can the police team ability stack? If I have Mon El shooting with both Lightning Lad and the Police Officer adjacent, will that reduce the target's defense by two instead of one? I guess I'd actually put Lightning Lad in the middle so he can easily hit with two extra damage from Ranged Combat Expert. Coupled with Mon El's Superman Ally team ability this team's ranged attack drat nice.

Also I just realized I couldn't use psychic blast and ranged combat expert for the same shot, as they both add tokens. I think my friends have been doing that.

Captain Satire fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 10, 2014

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer
My venue is doing an event called "Purple Reign" where any figure with a purple power showing on their dial gets +2 to any one dial stat until their next turn. 400 points silver age.

This is the team I'm planning on running:

Nerkkod (215)
Oracle (the watx shiar, not babs) (49)
Extremis Solider x3 (30x3)
Splitlip (20)
Book o'Skulls with 6 hammers (24)

Nerkkod has force blast on his top three clicks, which gives the opportunity for a possible 6 damage pulsewave if I can hit a single target after giving the +2 bonus to his damage, or 7 if I am lucky enough to shoot from some water.

Oracle has smoke cloud printed to boost up her move or damage, along with offering hindering terrain for the soldiers to hide in. She will also be used to carry around Nerkkod, give prob support, and can grab Nul's hammer for willpower.

The soldiers have printed willpower on all 4 clicks, and traited combat reflexes. Giving a +2 to hit from a hammer and +2 to another stat and the Hydra team ability for an addition bonus to hit, these guys are a steal at 30 points each. I plan on using these guys to sneak around and snipe at opportune targets while people focus on trying to kill Nerkkod. In addition, they all have improved movement to ignore hindering terrain, which will be great if I'm lucky enough to win map roll and pick Drowned Wakanda or Pacific Ocean map.

Any advice would be welcome, I'll post a report in a few days of how it went.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

For you newer players, I've finished the first draft of the guide to powers, their use, and activation. Text is copy/pasted from the Player's Guide. I checked it against the PAC because in the latest revision there were numerous errors, such as a couple ATAs having text chopped off. Ranged Combat Expert had a superfluous semicolon, for example, so in such cases I noted the discrepancy. Look it over and let me know what you think before I take it public on the Realms.

Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3KfJYyYkERAT2ZhS1ZkSGhPUkk/edit?usp=sharing

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Captain Satire posted:

Edit: Can the police team ability stack? If I have Mon El shooting with both Lightning Lad and the Police Officer adjacent, will that reduce the target's defense by two instead of one? I guess I'd actually put Lightning Lad in the middle so he can easily hit with two extra damage from Ranged Combat Expert. Coupled with Mon El's Superman Ally team ability this team's ranged attack drat nice.

The Police TA does stack, so long as all the figures using it are adjacent and have line of fire to the target. That is what makes cop swarms so dangerous (well, that and Police Cruisers)... people they're shooting at will have a -2 or -3 to their defenses, so, even if they aren't hitting hard, they're usually hitting.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Since this thread (hopefully) stockpiles all kinds of useful stuff, here's some junk about buying Heroclix:

- Strike Zone Online is a good seller. I've bought singles from them several times (from Amazon), and shipping time/packing/item condition were all top notch. I prefer their Amazon storefront, because everything ships for one fee. However, the selection on Amazon isn't as expansive as their website. If you use their website, you pay by # of figures, it appears. Use the code BUYDIRECT to get 10% off ordering from their site.

- I fully plan on ordering some junk from https://clixaccessories.com.

- Both Toys R Us and Big Lots have tons of Tab App Heroclix on sale. I just picked up the Batman: TDKR 3-pack for $2.50 at Big Lots, and the X-Men 3-pack at TRU for $2.98. For those of you just starting out, that's really helpful to build your collection. Some TRUs may also have the giant figures (Nemesis, Frost Giant, etc.).

- Target used to carry tons of Gravity Feed packs, and while they're likely mostly gone, whatever packs you can find are all one dollar.

- Sports card binder pages are cheap ($4.99) at Target. Use these to store/protect/organize character cards and whatnot.

- I'm excited about the upcoming Heroclix DoFP set. I wantneed that new Nimrod, so I called my local shop to reserve a pile of booster packs. This is never a bad idea, and effectively tells your local shop to keep clix coming in.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?

Morand posted:

My night tonight just went from "I will be home at 7pm and tired" to "I will be home at 4pm and bored"

More then happy to play a quick game for fun tonight.

I would but I have avx 3 tonight. But I would definitely take you up on it next time we are both open.

Captain Satire
May 3, 2005

Here's two damage power ability questions:

Who exactly has to be within range for Probability Control? If somebody is shooting at one my of heroes who happens to be within range of my Prob-casting hero, but the enemy shooter is outside of my Prob hero's range, can I still force a reroll?

Can one of my heroes target themselves with Perplex?

Thanks!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

The guy making the roll you want to re-roll has to be in range and LoF of the PCer. So in your example, no, you can't make them re-roll the attack.

Yes, characters can Perplex themselves.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Captain Satire posted:

Here's two damage power ability questions:

Who exactly has to be within range for Probability Control? If somebody is shooting at one my of heroes who happens to be within range of my Prob-casting hero, but the enemy shooter is outside of my Prob hero's range, can I still force a reroll?

Your PC figure needs range and line of fire to the character making the roll.

Captain Satire posted:

Can one of my heroes target themselves with Perplex?

Does that character have line of fire to itself? Is it within 6 squares of itself? Yes, they can!

Note that these questions actually used to be important... Stealth used to work during your turn, as well as your opponent's turn, so a figure would have to cancel its Stealth to draw a line of fire to itself. This rule made a lot of forgetful players with Stealth/PC figures very sad.

Fake edit: drat it, Andy!

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Check the HCRealms figure gallery. Spider-Man, Iceman, Firestar, and Ms. Lion are up. Their dials got spoiled thanks to HCO. We apparently still don't know how they'll be available physically.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

ManiacClown posted:

Check the HCRealms figure gallery. Spider-Man, Iceman, Firestar, and Ms. Lion are up. Their dials got spoiled thanks to HCO. We apparently still don't know how they'll be available physically.
I want Firestar to make a Hellions team with Mirage, AvX Emma Frost (100) and the ATA. 299. :allears:

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Some main set Winter Soldier dials have started getting spoiled: http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500654

Highlights include a Black Widow that can use your opponent's theme Probs, Maria Hill who can Outwit from an opponent's square, and Winter Soldier who gets to hop around the map to different sniper points and constantly remove tokens from himself :zaeed:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

That is one hell of a Widow. Also, I think I like Steve Rogers AEing into Cap better than full-point Cap, which is a first for me.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
That sniper nest power is something I always wanted for a Punisher Max Frank Castle. Actually not a bad dial at all for him really if you think of the regen representing him being incapacitated and stitching himself back together.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 11, 2014

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Sanschel posted:

Some main set Winter Soldier dials have started getting spoiled: http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500654

Highlights include a Black Widow that can use your opponent's theme Probs, Maria Hill who can Outwit from an opponent's square, and Winter Soldier who gets to hop around the map to different sniper points and constantly remove tokens from himself :zaeed:

I love love love the Cap AE, Winter Soldier and Black Widow

Winter Soldier especially. I love the way that nest power is worded; being able to move him at any time during the turn is pretty dope. He's basically impossible to lock down

(also some spoilers in there maybe--what's with Maria Hill? Colbie Smulders don't be a baddie :( )

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Batroc has the Pirate keyword? We have a Pirate keyword now? :yarr:

• Locked thread