Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Armyman25 posted:

The effect of NAFTA on the textile industry was huge.

For about 5 years, maybe. After that both Mexico and the US lost textile jobs to China. Without NAFTA the jobs would have gone straight to China, so NAFTA effectively accelerated what was going to happen anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

So my state, Tennessee, is one of 22 states calling for a constitutional amendment requiring a balanced budget. There's no way this bullshit passes, right, even if a Republican wins in 2016?

We have one in Minnesota. A couple of years ago the state had to shut down to meet budget goals. It's been that way for a long time.

Edit: You mean for the national budget? I thought you were talking about state level stuff.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm pretty sure that a majority of states have BBAs or, at least, laws. I'm pretty sure he was talking national.

National BBA (except during time or war or national emergency) wouldn't be such a bad idea if we could get defense spending down to a reasonable level. We can't though and we're never really at peace these days so whoever would want to violate it basically could with impunity.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 8, 2014

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

National balanced budgets would be an outright disaster, imagine the debt ceiling standoff stomping on a human face...forever.

Even ignoring that the budget doesnt need to be balanced every FY to "balance" the budget now would be such a contraction it'd throw us back into true recession.

I'm mixed on state level balanced budgets. I want to say 2/3 of the state's have them. On the one hand, states have little control over macro level fiscal, monetary, and economic forces. When I was getting my MPA I was often butting heads with people over the issue. The system as is works about okay during "normal" times but so much pain at the local level is because states and municipalities have had to impose austerity due to a drying up of stimulus (and then GOP reaction).

Another issue is the credit agencies, who will pounce on any state or city because they're inherently based against governmental institutions.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah, balanced budget states tend to end up doing just ok during good years, and massively hosed over during bad years. While the non-balanced budget states have a lot more leeway both to react during bad years, and to stockpile improvements during good years.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Balanced budget states can just cook the books via TIFS, municipal corporations, etc...

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

notthegoatseguy posted:

Balanced budget states can just cook the books via TIFS, municipal corporations, etc...

How is a TIF "cooking the books", at least with regards to a budget balance? The outlays of a TIF can't exceed the increment captured. It's not like it's a sneaky kind of borrowing mechanism.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Doesn't Colorado's balanced budget law totally gently caress their schools and infrastructure?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Swan Oat posted:

Doesn't Colorado's balanced budget law totally gently caress their schools and infrastructure?

Yep! Also the "taxpayer bill of rights" bullshit that further requires that you can't raise taxes or spending above the rate of inflation without passing a (possibly 2/3?) majority ballot referendum. Luckily for Colorado at least some of its road infrastructure gets more federal spending then usual like the major mountain pass roads and tunnels.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Swan Oat posted:

Is there a balance budget law that doesn't totally gently caress schools and infrastructure?

Just can't afford to train future workers or maintain the things keeping us from returning to candles and ox carts. Not and push through these vital tax cuts, that's for sure.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Swan Oat posted:

It totally does, TABOR doesn't help. In Colorado's case education is getting a kind of half super liberal half libertarian boost by pouring money into education from legalized weed taxes. It's not enough, but its a good start that finds a middle ground to raise funding between the conservative mountain folk and more liberal people who claim not to mind taxes until they have to pay them.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

pig slut lisa posted:

How is a TIF "cooking the books", at least with regards to a budget balance? The outlays of a TIF can't exceed the increment captured. It's not like it's a sneaky kind of borrowing mechanism.

It is if you use wildly optimistic math to "estimate" (make up a huge loving number) the future intake and then make outlays based on those pie-in-the-sky figures. It operates on a similar principle to the :laffo: curve - instead of a flat tax cut, it's a portion being given back (as totally-not-quid-pro-quo to job creators RE development magnates who totally coincidentally made big campaign donations), but the idea of it magically creating shitloads of new revenue is a huff from the same fart.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

FAUXTON posted:

It is if you use wildly optimistic math to "estimate" (make up a huge loving number) the future intake and then make outlays based on those pie-in-the-sky figures. It operates on a similar principle to the :laffo: curve - instead of a flat tax cut, it's a portion being given back (as totally-not-quid-pro-quo to job creators RE development magnates who totally coincidentally made big campaign donations), but the idea of it magically creating shitloads of new revenue is a huff from the same fart.

TIF outlays don't come from estimated future revenues. Sure the administrative body can overassess the property within the TIF, but that's a separate question from whether it can capture the anticipated revenue before reassessment actually occurs (which: it can't).

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

pig slut lisa posted:

TIF outlays don't come from estimated future revenues. Sure the administrative body can overassess the property within the TIF, but that's a separate question from whether it can capture the anticipated revenue before reassessment actually occurs (which: it can't).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax-increment_financing posted:

TIF creates funding for public or private projects by borrowing against the future increase in these property-tax revenues.

Which is why California stopped pulling that poo poo - there's a bunch of places underwater on this scam because it turns out those revenues weren't the unicorn glitter and rainbows they were planned to be.

Also in that article: specific, named examples where this poo poo basically funnels tax revenue into developer bank accounts while leaving the municipality scrambling to find room in the budget for services needed/rendered as a result of the development, I.e. an apartment block or housing subdivision.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 9, 2014

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cliff Racer posted:

I'm pretty sure that a majority of states have BBAs or, at least, laws. I'm pretty sure he was talking national.

National BBA (except during time or war or national emergency) wouldn't be such a bad idea if we could get defense spending down to a reasonable level. We can't though and we're never really at peace these days so whoever would want to violate it basically could with impunity.

It really would be a bad idea. Even ignoring the need for peacetime counter-cyclical spending, you want an average deficit that's approximately equal to economic growth, and even larger than that if the debt to GDP ratio has room to grow. Running no deficit would pay off the debt relative to GDP over time.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The only way a balanced budget for a government can actually work, is if we open the balancing timescale to something on the order of 20-25 years. However, we have no way to meaningfully do that.

Worse then balanced budget in itself though, is thing's like Oregon's "kicker" which makes building up long term surpluses impossible, since when there's a surplus over 2% the excess money must be immediately returned as tax refunds.

Math Debater
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Winkie01 posted:

Bernie Sanders "I Am Prepared to Run for President of the United States"

http://www.thenation.com/blog/178717/bernie-sanders-i-am-prepared-run-president-united-states

:circlefap:

I really, really hope Bernie Sanders runs for president in 2016. I also hope that he will run as an independent or 3rd-party candidate and not as a Democrat. As a sitting member of the United States Senate, he is in a perfect position to challenge the legitimacy of the 2-party system. An independent or third party presidential campaign by United States Senator Bernie Sanders could not possibly be ignored by the major media outlets, right? And United States Senator Bernie Sanders would have to be included in the general election presidential debates, right? The exclusion of a sitting United States Senator from the general election presidential debates would be far more of an outrage than the exclusion of Ralph Nader!

There is so much potential for a Bernie Sanders presidential campaign to serve as a cornerstone for the development of a viable and lasting leftist challenge to the 2-party system! I think it would be great if Sanders could convince some of the most progressive members of the United States Congress to split from the Democrats and join him in forming a new leftist political party. I would hope that such an endeavor would be supported by some of the existing leftist groups in the United States and by parts of the organized labor movement.

The chance that a Sanders independent or 3rd-party presidential campaign could function as a launching point for a major long-term leftist political movement that challenges the 2-party system seems to me like it could be worth the risk of indirectly bringing about some victories for the Republicans in 2016.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Third parties are not stable in the American system, and Sanders has no chance of being taken seriously as a candidate. Don't get your hopes up.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Math Debater posted:

I really, really hope Bernie Sanders runs for president in 2016. I also hope that he will run as an independent or 3rd-party candidate and not as a Democrat. As a sitting member of the United States Senate, he is in a perfect position to challenge the legitimacy of the 2-party system. An independent or third party presidential campaign by United States Senator Bernie Sanders could not possibly be ignored by the major media outlets, right? And United States Senator Bernie Sanders would have to be included in the general election presidential debates, right? The exclusion of a sitting United States Senator from the general election presidential debates would be far more of an outrage than the exclusion of Ralph Nader!

There is so much potential for a Bernie Sanders presidential campaign to serve as a cornerstone for the development of a viable and lasting leftist challenge to the 2-party system! I think it would be great if Sanders could convince some of the most progressive members of the United States Congress to split from the Democrats and join him in forming a new leftist political party. I would hope that such an endeavor would be supported by some of the existing leftist groups in the United States and by parts of the organized labor movement.

The chance that a Sanders independent or 3rd-party presidential campaign could function as a launching point for a major long-term leftist political movement that challenges the 2-party system seems to me like it could be worth the risk of indirectly bringing about some victories for the Republicans in 2016.

Wrong - being the junior Senator from Vermont does not make you any more viable either in the media's eyes or in reality, nor any more entertaining, and therefore the major impetuses to cover an independent Sanders campaign or allow him into the general election debates simply aren't present. Plus, didn't Sanders say he would run as a Democrat?

Math Debater
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

The Warszawa posted:

Plus, didn't Sanders say he would run as a Democrat?

Doesn't Sanders say in that article in The Nation that he hasn't decided whether he would prefer to run as a Democrat or as an independent?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Math Debater posted:

Hahaha, what site did you get that from?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Math Debater posted:

Doesn't Sanders say in that article in The Nation that he hasn't decided whether he would prefer to run as a Democrat or as an independent?

He waffles, but he's really down on the hurdles that come with running as an indpendent. If he runs as a Democrat, he's at least going to get in the primary debates. It's basically all upside for him running as a Democrat.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Math Debater posted:

And United States Senator Bernie Sanders would have to be included in the general election presidential debates, right?
The Democrats and Republicans don't have to do any such thing and they run the Commission on Presidential Debates as a joint venture, it's in both of their long term interests to exclude third parties. The only way to get in is to a) already be polling a healthy 15-20% nationally AND b) for one of the two major party candidates to see an advantage (for themself) in letting you into the debate.

Bernie will get a lot more bang for his buck running in the Democratic Primary, he's not any more likely to become President but it will give him a full year to be the pre-eminent gadfly (at least intellectually) to Hillary while the media desperately tries to turn a landslide into a contest. In the general he'll just be drowned out by the traditional blue vs. red narrative.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

He's basically a Democrat at this point anyway - he even fundraises for DSCC.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Since I want the Democrats to win, I really hope Sarah Palin runs for president as a third-party candidate. Unfortunately the American electoral system means that a candidate who wants to effect change has to go through the primaries or just create a spoiler effect.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Since I want the Democrats to win, I really hope Sarah Palin runs for president as a third-party candidate. Unfortunately the American electoral system means that a candidate who wants to effect change has to go through the primaries or just create a spoiler effect.

Or run for a powerful position that isn't POTUS. You know, like a Senate seat.

Math Debater
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
Okay, well Sanders suggests in that Nation article that the United States may be in need of a "political revolution." Are these the words of a Democrat? Is Sanders just posturing?

I really am unsure of where Sanders truly stands on the political spectrum. But I am so vehemently opposed to the political status quo in the U.S. and to both major American parties that I would like for Sanders to burn his bridges with the Democrats completely and become more of a George Galloway-esque combative leftist firebrand.

Anyone who's really serious about wanting to have a "political revolution" in the United States should not be phased by "spoiler" rhetoric and shouldn't wring their hands about the possibility of the lesser-evil party being defeated by the greater-evil party.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Cease to Hope posted:

Or run for a powerful position that isn't POTUS. You know, like a Senate seat.

Right, good point.

Math Debater posted:

Anyone who's really serious about wanting to have a "political revolution" in the United States should not be phased by "spoiler" rhetoric and shouldn't wring their hands about the possibility of the lesser-evil party being defeated by the greater-evil party.

100,000 dead Iraqis would be inclined to disagree with this logic.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Math Debater posted:

Okay, well Sanders suggests in that Nation article that the United States may be in need of a "political revolution." Are these the words of a Democrat? Is Sanders just posturing?

I really am unsure of where Sanders truly stands on the political spectrum. But I am so vehemently opposed to the political status quo in the U.S. and to both major American parties that I would like for Sanders to burn his bridges with the Democrats completely and become more of a George Galloway-esque combative leftist firebrand.

Perhaps if he tries hard enough he can become as influential in American politics as Ron Paul!

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Math Debater posted:

Your interpretation of Sanders's politics based on one phrase is wildly incongruous with his actual behavior as a federal elected official.

Math Debater
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Yeah, well I may be inclined to believe that the advancement of a revolutionary movement to defeat capitalism in the United States and throughout the world would be worth risking the deaths of millions of people for.

Edit: So, uh, yeah, I really hope Sanders chooses the more radical option of running as an independent or third party candidate instead of running as a Democrat! If he insists on running as a Democrat, I would at least like for him to continue his campaign as an independent or 3rd party candidate after he inevitably is not nominated as the Democratic presidential candidate.

Math Debater fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 10, 2014

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Math Debater posted:

Yeah, well I may be inclined to believe that the advancement of a revolutionary movement to defeat capitalism in the United States and throughout the world would be worth risking the deaths of millions of people for.

When you put it like that, who wouldn't be with you? Other than the millions of dead, of course.

quote:

Edit: So, uh, yeah, I really hope Sanders chooses the more radical option of running as an independent or third party candidate instead of running as a Democrat! If he insists on running as a Democrat, I would at least like for him to continue his campaign as an independent or 3rd party candidate after he inevitably is not nominated as the Democratic presidential candidate.

If you want a crazy amazing show as Bernie fights the power live at the debates, you want him to run as a Republican. If you want to bring down the two party system then you've got to build a new part from the local positions up, finally capping your decades long struggle off with a presidential win. Of course then there will be a party realignment with one of the existing parties going the way of the Wigs and you being a proud member of half the viable US political parties.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_Resolution#Passage

40% of house democrats and nearly 60% of senate democrats voted to kill those 100,000 Iraqis.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
A third party is a pipe dream. Sanders, if he runs, will run as a democrat as the whole point of his candidacy is moving the democrats to the left.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Since I want the Democrats to win, I really hope Sarah Palin runs for president as a third-party candidate.

In the long term there is a lot more money to be made as a poo poo-stirrer but still a member of a major party. A third party run could alienate some people who might otherwise buy your merchandise or pay to hear you speak and wouldn't really get you any new fans. Screw up a third-party run badly enough and you might have to get a real job afterwards.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

mcmagic posted:

A third party is a pipe dream. Sanders, if he runs, will run as a democrat as the whole point of his candidacy is moving the democrats to the left.

I don't know a lot about Bernie, but I do know that if he runs as a third party candidate any eventual loss by the Democrats will have him crucified by most of the poster in this very thread.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

I don't know a lot about Bernie, but I do know that if he runs as a third party candidate any eventual loss by the Democrats will have him crucified by most of the poster in this very thread.

Rightly so, helping the Republican candidate win is a bad thing (tm).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Demiurge4 posted:

I don't think he would want to do that which is the reason his impact would be in the primary, not the general.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

mcmagic posted:

I don't think he would want to do that which is the reason his impact would be in the primary, not the general.
Math Debater certainly seems to want him to. If he runs in the primary he will by default run as a Democrat, because there's no primary for third party candidates :v: I understand why people would want him to be President, but he's not going to pull off a coup on Hillary like Obama did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Math Debater posted:

I would like for Sanders to burn his bridges with the Democrats completely and become more of a George Galloway-esque combative leftist firebrand.

So he should become a crackpot that defends murderous dictators?

• Locked thread