Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It's going to take that guy forever to fill out forms now.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

paragon1 posted:

It's going to take that guy forever to fill out forms now.
It's okay, he can just go by FMHMSNITSAATSCWF.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

There's a pharmacist near my office named Jyldyz. Not a terrible name, more like a common name from somewhere else (Жылдыз, apparently) Romanized in a confusing way.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

flakeloaf posted:

There's a pharmacist near my office named Jyldyz. Not a terrible name, more like a common name from somewhere else (Жылдыз, apparently) Romanized in a confusing way.

Is it related to the Turkish name Yıldız?

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Is it related to the Turkish name Yıldız?

Quite possibly. The Russian pronunciation sounds very similar, though the J is much harsher. Djeeldeez is a little easier for me as a latinization, but honestly there's no good way to approximate "bl" in latin characters.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

VogeGandire posted:

I work with a guy named Steven.

Not unusual at all. He prefers Stevie. Again, not unusual.

His surname is Revie (pronounced Ree-vay).

Last page, but this reminds me of a kid I went to school with. His name was Stevie Beebe (BEE-bee). I've never forgotten that.

On the note of 'could have been', my parents were on the way to going with 'Summer Sky', 'Summer Rain', or 'Summer Rainbow' for me. Then my great-grandmother passed, and they gave me her first name as my middle name. :3: Much nicer, and now my brothers and I all have family names for middle names.

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!

Of course it's New Zealand. We have some real corkers here. My boyfriend just started a job teaching music at a local high school and he told me one of the boys he's teaching is named Quipid.

Quipid.

Pronounced "cupid". I just don't understand why :negative:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Aristophanes posted:

Of course it's New Zealand. We have some real corkers here. My boyfriend just started a job teaching music at a local high school and he told me one of the boys he's teaching is named Quipid.

Quipid.

Apparently Full Metal Frostnova changed his name due to a lost bet.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11217129

And a contribution.

Chief Dick Pickles.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Aristophanes posted:

Quipid.

There's a brand of shoes called Qupid.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

I do informal education with kids so I see all sorts of 'special snowflake' names on a daily basis. The ones I remember are Ribbon, a boy called Archimedes (his dad called him Archie but his mum insisted on the full name), Marseilles (pronounced Marcy??), Sabre and a kid called Raphael, which would've been cool except he was short, chubby and wore nerd specs.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Octolady posted:

Marseilles (pronounced Marcy??)

Do those question marks indicate incredulity or uncertainty ?

Was it pronounced mar-say ? Because if so, that's how you pronounce it.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Incredulity, it was definitely pronounced Mar-see, but the kid was with a nursery group and had a name tag, which is why I was confused. I assumed the parents wanted a common name but gave it a fancy spelling (like Fyonah or something). Even if it was Mar-say, that's still a pretty standout name where I'm from. :shobon:

This name isn't terrible, but I did also work with a Hungarian dude called Zoltan :black101:

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Say Nothing posted:

Chief Dick Pickles.
Ah this reminds me of a man my father used to work with named Dick Wart :gonk:
For some other bad ones I have encountered a Mr Ben Dover during high school and at the local church I have met an Amanda Love and the Coxhead family:dong:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Full Metal Frostnova is changing his name back to what it was, saying it was a 'stupid, drunken mistake'.
http://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/294720/man-99-character-name-regrets-stupid-drunken-mistake

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Went to McDonald's drive through, the guy at the window had a name tag that said Cutean.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have now hosted a table for a man named Deeaan. Like, Dean, but with two e's and two a's for no loving reason at all.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

GabrielAisling posted:

Quite possibly. The Russian pronunciation sounds very similar, though the J is much harsher. Djeeldeez is a little easier for me as a latinization, but honestly there's no good way to approximate "bl" in latin characters.

Actually, Y is pretty much the standard transliteration for the Russian letter Ы. Ж is usually written as ZH, and pronounced like the S in pleasure. It's hard to explain how Ы sounds, but it's kinda like a long "e" (like meet) or short "i" sound (like sit), depending on the word, but pronounced in the back of your mouth.

Like I said, hard to explain.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Actually, Y is pretty much the standard transliteration for the Russian letter Ы. Ж is usually written as ZH, and pronounced like the S in pleasure. It's hard to explain how Ы sounds, but it's kinda like a long "e" (like meet) or short "i" sound (like sit), depending on the word, but pronounced in the back of your mouth.

Like I said, hard to explain.

It's the close central unrounded vowel :eng101: (at least, some of the time)

(Which is, admittedly, something that only really has meaning to linguists and other people who've studied phonetics)

In terms of content: I recently ran into a woman named Gay, which surprised me at first, as a name.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Octolady posted:

I do informal education with kids so I see all sorts of 'special snowflake' names on a daily basis. The ones I remember are Ribbon, a boy called Archimedes (his dad called him Archie but his mum insisted on the full name), Marseilles (pronounced Marcy??), Sabre and a kid called Raphael, which would've been cool except he was short, chubby and wore nerd specs.

Archimedes is a fantastic name. I wish I was named Archimedes.

Macaronic
Dec 31, 2010
Sisters named Paisley Blue and Prairie Raine. Their mom got ~~spiritual~~ after high school.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Axiem posted:

It's the close central unrounded vowel :eng101: (at least, some of the time)

(Which is, admittedly, something that only really has meaning to linguists and other people who've studied phonetics)

In terms of content: I recently ran into a woman named Gay, which surprised me at first, as a name.

My aunt goes by Gay, it's short for Gabriel. She also has a grandson named Nixon. Oh New Zealand.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009
The school I work at has some...not really TERRIBLE names, just ones that can easily trip you up and are probably a pain to explain all the time. Usually what makes them difficult is that they're pronounced way differently than you would imagine they would be. For example, we have a Jaime ('himey'), a Coefy ('Sofie'), and an Undra ('andre'). Those aren't too bad, though, and it's not so hard to remember if you've been corrected once.

The one kid who does have a terrible name, though, is a girl named Sailor Moon [lastname]. I feel kind of bad for her too, she's amazingly smart and is on a lot of school teams and such, but people always laugh at her when her name is announced.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

of bees posted:

Jaime ('himey')

That's the standard pronunciation in Spanish-speaking countries.

e: Also, I went to school with a boy called Andreas (pronounced Andre-us). Every single teacher we ever had seemed to pronounce it like Andrea's. It's not that uncommon a name, really.

Lady Disdain has a new favorite as of 11:57 on Mar 12, 2014

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Istari posted:

That's the standard pronunciation in Spanish-speaking countries.

And is a super common name, too. Heck, the current Blue Beetle in the comics is named Jaime, and yes it's supposed to be pronounced that way.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
While reading a book on Salem, I ran into a family name that could be horrible or badass: Crowninshield

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

SO CLOSE to being Comisario de la Explosion

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Friend that I haven't seen since grade school found me on Facebook. She has a daughter now. A daughter named "Jayd".

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Axiem posted:

I recently ran into a woman named Gay, which surprised me at first, as a name.

"Gay" is actually not that uncommon a name. One of my friend's cousins is named Gay Israel [lastname]. I wish I could say his last name because it's pretty great combined with the two that come before it. Suffice to say he must have been teased a lot in school.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Blast Fantasto posted:

Friend that I haven't seen since grade school found me on Facebook. She has a daughter now. A daughter named "Jayd".

I went to high school with a boy called Jayd. He's in a death metal band now.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
There was a client we had at my old job named Man Lee. He was a tiny little man who joked about his "big muscles". He was so cute...always smiling. His wife said she married him for his name.

Another we had was a lady named Kim Chee. We always tried not to laugh when she would come in.

I went to school with a girl named Gay Lisa (last name). She only went by Lisa...big surprise there!

Junius
May 14, 2006

Thank you, entertainment committee.

princecoo posted:

I visited my mother over the weekend and met one of her friends, who was looking after her 10 year old grand-daughter, who I also met.

The girls name was Deajah-Mai. Pronounced like Deja-vu but with "May" instead of the "vu" part.

Similarly, a birth announcement popped up in my Facebook feed for the arrival of "... our darling Deja (pronounced like déjà vu but without the weird bit)."

Weird bit. Uh-huh.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
My mother swears she went to school with a girl named Theresa Green.

Also, wmy parents owned a boat hire and apparently there was a detective Chris Kross who would go hire a boat to go fishing every once in a while.

A friend of mine is a primry school teacher, and she has a running (and apparently totally correct so far) theory that any boys name that ends with "en" is terrible because those kids are automatically little bastards. ie Jayden, Kayden, Hayden, Raiden, Aiden, Broden, Bryden, Corben etc

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

princecoo posted:

My mother swears she went to school with a girl named Theresa Green.

Also, wmy parents owned a boat hire and apparently there was a detective Chris Kross who would go hire a boat to go fishing every once in a while.

A friend of mine is a primry school teacher, and she has a running (and apparently totally correct so far) theory that any boys name that ends with "en" is terrible because those kids are automatically little bastards. ie Jayden, Kayden, Hayden, Raiden, Aiden, Broden, Bryden, Corben etc

I know a guy who named his kid Raiden, specifically after the dude from Mortal Kombat :negative:

...What's wrong with Theresa Green?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

deadly_pudding posted:

...What's wrong with Theresa Green?

Trees are green.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

In a part of the world where "a" is pronounced "err" I can see that being a problem.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Yeah, it's an accent thing. Some people will pronounce the name similar to "Treeza" (hence the joke) and in other parts of the world it would be "teh-reese-ah".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Im not sure if it would it be better or worse to be named after MGS Raiden or MK raiden.