Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Zeroisanumber posted:

I wouldn't even mock him, just point out over-and-over that his industry, job, and livelihood all depend on the government spending money. He'll come back with something like, "Well, we do useful stuff!" Then ask why he's so sure that everything else the government spends money on is useless.

You might try something close to that but a bit more visceral. The numbers in going to use here are from a few years ago. Google to get up to date numbers. I doubt the ratios have changed much.

The federal government employs 5 million people. 800,000 of them are the post office since it has to have offices everywhere. This is also revenue neutral since the post office pays for itself. Yes it takes out loans now and then. Then it raises stamp prices to pay them back.

3 million federal employees are military. That's all branches plus the DOD.

The remaining 1.2 million federal employees - less than one in four federal employees - do everything else. All of it. They are the CDC, the national institute of health, the FBI, the federal court system ( judges, attorneys, staff), the house and senate with their staffers. They are the people who maintain the federal highway system, manage the national parks, and monitor the cleanliness of your water. These people figure out where food poisoning originates and impound the contaminated food not yet consumed. They fight wildfires larger than entire towns. They secure our ports and stop things from being smuggled into or out of the country. They build and maintain our energy grid . The military invented the routing tech the Internet is based on - but the civilian side National Science Foundation laid the internet's backbone and footed the bill for it till it became profitable enough for private industry to step up. And they continue advancing the state of the art today. NASA. Aviation authority. The FDA. Running hydroelectric damns and the remaining nuclear power plants. And on and on and on.

When you look at just how physically big our nation is, its astounding that so few people can do so much. The military has over twice as many people ( even ignoring contractors ) and their list of accomplishments is far shorter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

Trouble is, how long do you go acting out that character five days a week before you become him/her?

That sort of happened to Limbaugh. He always wanted to be a football announcer. When he finally got a chance to do a football show, he blew it with some "because he's black" comment.

quote:

Pretty sure Levin is crazy enough to believe what he's saying, but I find it hard to believe that the rest of them actually do.

Levin is a true believer. The guy worked for the Reagan administration.

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012

McAlister posted:

When you look at just how physically big our nation is, its astounding that so few people can do so much. The military has over twice as many people ( even ignoring contractors ) and their list of accomplishments is far shorter.

A large part of the military sits idle until conflict arises, because they're just bodies to throw into the grinder. Ask anyone in GiP what they spend the majority of their time doing and you'll probably hear "picking up cigarette butts, cleaning vehicles and drinking". That's definitely what the majority of my time was spent doing, and I was in a fairly high-demand, intelligence-intensive job. These guys who sit idle are mostly idiots anyway and would be loving up McDonald's orders left and right.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

quote:

RUSH: Linda in Lake City, Michigan. Glad you called. You're up next. Hello.

CALLER: Hello, Mr. Limbaugh, quite a treat.

RUSH: Well. Well. Thank you.

CALLER: I was just thinking and wondering about this terminology that you used for the rest of the world watching what President Obama does, or, as you affectionately call him, Barack Hussein Obama, just to, you know, reinforce that imaginary Muslim thing --

RUSH: No, that's not me. I mean, little kids were singing songs to President Obama: "Barack Hussein Obama! Mmm! Mmm! Mmm!" Don't you remember?

CALLER: Well, I think it's you, too. I think maybe you do it for a different reason.

RUSH: When was the last time I mentioned Hussein?

CALLER: Yeah, you just did about five minutes ago.

RUSH: It is his name. Why is it my problem what his name is?

CALLER: Well, because, I mean, when they used to call Dan Quayle "Danforth" Quayle, the conservatives were saying that they were making fun of him, that they were --

RUSH: This is a dangerous thing you're doing.

CALLER: -- kind of an uppity rich guy, Danforth --

RUSH: You're engaging in projection. You are assuming to know what I'm thinking when I pronounce Barack Hussein Obama.

CALLER: Hussein. Well, like I say, it seems to me, anyway, that you're just, you know, feeding into this imaginary thing that some conservatives out there --

RUSH: I'm not even thinking about it. It's all in your mind. This is what's fascinating. It's in your mind that he's a Muslim, not mine.

CALLER: No, I don't think he's a Muslim. I think you're putting it out there every time you say that, Barack Hussein Obama.

RUSH: Is his middle name not Hussein?

CALLER: Say it again, sir?

RUSH: Is his middle name not Hussein?

CALLER: Yeah, it is.

RUSH: Okay, does he still have a brother living in a hut?

CALLER: I don't know. (laughing)

RUSH: He does.

CALLER: I don't know. What's your middle name?

RUSH: Hudson.

CALLER: I don't call you Rush George Limbaugh.

RUSH: No. But if you wanted to pronounce my name, it would be Rush Hudson Limbaugh III.

CALLER: Ooh, Hudson, very nice. But I just think that, you know, I have kind of a conservative coworker, and we talk politics every so often.

RUSH: You know one? You actually know a conservative?

CALLER: Yes, I do. I mean, I have conservative friends. That's not my measuring stick for whether a person is a fine person or a good neighbor or anything like that.

RUSH: What is wrong with Hussein as a name, by the way?

CALLER: Well, like I say, the way I believe you're using it is to imply that the president is this closet Muslim.

RUSH: No. Even if I thought that, I wouldn't go there. My point with this picture, Linda, was to point out media hypocrisy. I mean, Bush reads to kids, all presidents do. Bush did it on 9/11 and the media tagged him immediately as an idiot, deer-in-the-headlight eyes, doesn't know what he's doing, vacant, stupid, idiotic cowboy. And here's Obama reading to the kids while Ukraine's violating all kinds of agreements Obama signed, and not a ripple from the Drive-Bys. That's all I was pointing out with that. And as far as the name "Hussein" is concerned, I don't know what I can do. I'll ask him to change it.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: McCain fired Bill Cunningham. He was introducing him at rallies, Cunningham announced Barack Hussein Obama. (imitating McCain) "I'm not gonna have that kind of bigotry in my campaign. He's gone. Get rid of him. Not gonna have that." It was absurd, folks. It's his name.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/03/05/liberal_disturbed_by_obama_s_middle_name
A terrorist attack on American soil is absolutely the same thing as an incident happening independently overseas.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Um, excuse me? You're not a mind reader, you don't know what I'm thinking when I say Hussein. Now lets move on...*20 minute segment about Obama secretly plotting to destroy the nation based on how far he bowed one time*

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ah yes conservatives, known for their love of precision, are just being accurate by using the President's full name and reminding us his brother is a hut-dweller.

But racist liberals assume "Hussein" means Muslim or that living in a poor country is bad, so they constantly try to cover up and silence conservatives' non-judgmental descriptions.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
Well this is the first I'm hearing about Obama's hut-dwelling brother. This changes everything, obviously.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
I call him Hussein because his brother lives in a hut, you see. Also, not racist.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

What does "not a ripple from the drive-bys" mean? Is that some pundit industry term that I'm not familiar with, or is it exactly as racist as it sounds?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Ainsley McTree posted:

What does "not a ripple from the drive-bys" mean? Is that some pundit industry term that I'm not familiar with, or is it exactly as racist as it sounds?

It's a slang for "drive-by media" which is conservative slang for "media that isn't Fox News"

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm calling him Barack Hussein Obama, not Barack friend of the family Obama like I want to. Ugh these callers, where do they come up with this stuff?

Anyways, after the break (for Lifelock) I'm going to break down why black people are genetically inferior intelligence wise but genetically superior for blood sport.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ainsley McTree posted:

He's talking about major media sources. The idea being that they do shallow, biased reporting about the newest, shiniest, bloodiest thing going on and then never revisit it with substantive coverage.

I actually kind of agree with Rush on that matter, but from a different direction.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

You know how we call lawyers that do only cases involving tradagies "ambulance chasers"? Rush calls the mainstream media "drive-by media" because he thinks they don't do enough heavy conservative-leaning unbiased stories.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
I think the greatest thing with Limbaugh being all 'You can't know what's going on inside my head when I say Hussein!!!! :bahgawd:' was that he earlier today railed on Obama for misspelling RESPECT at the Women in Soul event at the White House last night.

quote:

RUSH: Hey, stop the music, stop the theme. Would you play audio sound bite number one for me? I have to hear this before I actually use it in the show.

OBAMA: When Aretha first told us what R-S-P-E-C-T (laughter) meant to her.
RUSH: Yeah, okay, that's good. Hit the music again. I just had to determine how much laughter there was on that. 'Cause I think the laughter goes on and on, and he doesn't know why. He doesn't know why people are laughing, because the guy was just reading it off the teleprompter. He probably never heard of the -- well, I don't want to go there, I really don't. Well, actually I'd love to go there, but I'm not gonna go there, folks.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/03/07/obama_can_t_spell_respect
Obama is just so stupid he doesn't know how to spell the word because it wasn't on his teleprompter! He didn't know what to do! But the lamestream media would rather jump on Dan Quayle than point out our Kenyan Muslim Usurper _resident can't spell a word without a teleprompter!!! :freep:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

beatlegs posted:

I don't know how any normal-thinking person could listen to Limbaugh on a frequent basis. For me it would be like listening to some horrible, cheesy song over and over and over. He becomes predictable very fast, you don't learn anything new. He and his listeners are terrible people with ugly, ignorant opinions. They're a personification of everything that's wrong with the current political culture. What's the point? Isn't it fairly easy to predict what Limbaugh's gonna say about any new development?

Like Stern, I think a lot of Limbaugh's ratings are driven by people who don't like him. Stern not so much anymore since he went to satellite, of course, so he only draws fans now who are willing to pay to hear it, but a lot of their audiences early on were generated by folks listening for the shock value and the rage.

Edit:

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

to some extent I'm scared of the real life repercussions of being someone with a strong opinion.

Like what?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 7, 2014

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

Like what?

It gets you fired pretty fast if someone above you hears that you think Limbaugh is a nut and he does not. At will employment is awesome for this.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/cpac-gay-marriage-ban-liberal-lie

quote:

Conservative radio host Michael Medved said Friday at the Conservative Political Action Conference that no state has ever banned gay marriage and any claim to the contrary is "a liberal lie."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

No see a gay man can marry a gay woman so....

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

What in the pale blue gently caress?

I had to read that 2-3 times just so it would register in my brain because out of every lie the right wing has said since I started paying attention to them, that lie was finally a bridge too far for my brain to simply go "bullshit" and keep reading.

I mean really, prop mother loving 8 literally banned every marriage but hetero ones in the most populous state in the union.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

A Winner is Jew posted:

I had to read that 2-3 times just so it would register in my brain because out of every lie the right wing has said since I started paying attention to them, that lie was finally a bridge too far for my brain to simply go "bullshit" and keep reading.

I mean really, prop mother loving 8 literally banned every marriage but hetero ones in the most populous state in the union.

Prop 8 didn't technically ban anything, though, it just restricted the legal definition of marriage. It's word wizardry bullshit brought to you by the party that is still making hay about the difference between the phrase "act of terror" and "terrorist attack."

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

A Winner is Jew posted:

A gay guy can still marry a lady, same as a straight guy

It's true that a gay guy can't marry another dude, but a straight guy can't marry another dude either.

So where's the discrimination? Hmmmmmmmmmmm? Looks to me like everybody plays by the same set of rules.

Check and mate, libtards.

:smug:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Prop 8 didn't technically ban anything, though, it just restricted the legal definition of marriage. It's word wizardry bullshit brought to you by the party that is still making hay about the difference between the phrase "act of terror" and "terrorist attack."

Law question: what is the legal difference between banning certain types of marriage and restricting marriage only to certain types? I know the effect is the same but what is it like on the books?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Grognan posted:

It gets you fired pretty fast if someone above you hears that you think Limbaugh is a nut and he does not. At will employment is awesome for this.

I've never seen that happen. Not saying it doesn't though. My former boss was the biggest right wing Ditohead around and I watched him fire lots of people but he never got around to me for some reason. He actually used to call me into his office to debate these sorts of things. I was the token liberal in the office but he seemed to have a grudging respect for me if only because I was pretty good at my job, not too bad at debating and wasn't scared of him beyond a "biting the hand that feeds me" sense.

I'd be interested to know what Jerry Menderbilt thinks though because, in my experience, having strong opinions mostly helps you unless you're the type that can't admit when they're wrong, can't change them and are just a dick about it constantly. To me, it always helped to weed out the assholes, false friends, shallow thinkers and generally folks who I'd rather not hang around. And those who'd rather not hang around me for that matter. Saves me a lot of time and trouble.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Radish posted:

Law question: what is the legal difference between banning certain types of marriage and restricting marriage only to certain types? I know the effect is the same but what is it like on the books?

A ban and restriction are the same thing. I think what you mean is the difference between a ban and a definition in regards to marriage, and I suppose a simple definition probably leaves legal room for a common law marriage.

But most states that define marriage either by statute or by constitutional amendment also add language saying that THIS marriage is the ONLY marriage permitted. So while technically they're only defining marriage, they're essentially prohibiting anything else from it.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

FMguru posted:

A gay guy can still marry a lady, same as a straight guy

It's true that a gay guy can't marry another dude, but a straight guy can't marry another dude either.

So where's the discrimination? Hmmmmmmmmmmm? Looks to me like everybody plays by the same set of rules.

Check and mate, libtards.

:smug:

I've seen people make this argument and then immediately turn around and say that allowing gay marriage gives gay people rights that straight people won't get. Don't look for logic with these people, you won't find it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
There's a lot of conservative dickhats who like to brag that they've fired people for being liberals/voting for Obama/badmouthing Rush/being a woman but unless you're running a business where people are lining up to do no-skill work for low pay they are, in effect, bragging about being incredibly lovely at staffing.

In reality it's bullshit and they are posting from a public library on a day trip with their retirement community.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Radish posted:

IANAL but I imagine it would be a lot easier to legally challenge a law saying "two men may not be legally married" than one saying "only one man and one woman may legally be married."

It also fits the asinine "tradition not bigotry" narrative better.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Eulogistics posted:

A large part of the military sits idle until conflict arises, because they're just bodies to throw into the grinder. Ask anyone in GiP what they spend the majority of their time doing and you'll probably hear "picking up cigarette butts, cleaning vehicles and drinking". That's definitely what the majority of my time was spent doing, and I was in a fairly high-demand, intelligence-intensive job. These guys who sit idle are mostly idiots anyway and would be loving up McDonald's orders left and right.

Oh absolute. But the goal is to break the guy out of his mental loop and since his livelyhood is military pork hitting that directly will send his brain into emergency shut down.

The goal is to get him to acknowledge that the rest of the government does really useful stuff too and there aren't actually that many of them. The size comparison is for a framing where he can't say the 1.2 million number is to high without also saying his 3 million is way to high. Since his 3 million isn't to big he can't point at the piddly 1.2 million and complain.

Its a baby step. But that's how you start journeys.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Notorious QIG posted:

I've seen people make this argument and then immediately turn around and say that allowing gay marriage gives gay people rights that straight people won't get. Don't look for logic with these people, you won't find it.

The people they're copying used this same argument about ending segregation. That's where the logic comes from.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Michael "slavery wasn't too bad for black people" Medved.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013
Hey let's talk about NewsBusters and Brent Bozell's laugh-tracked rip off of Weekend Update, "NewsBusted with Jodi Miller":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw_ZSpm5HrA

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/nb-staff/2014/03/07/newsbusted-what-ronan-farrow-barack-obama-share-common-no-its-not-frank-si

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I feel bad that people spend their time making that. :( So...terrible.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

The fake laughter (and applause at the end) had me actually laughing.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

The cheesy "Home Improvement"-type opening, the canned laughter and applause, the 3 obvious edits that were made because she probably hosed up her lines, the deadly unfunny "jokes", her smug smile after each as if to say "nailed it". I almost want to see more because it's oddly fascinating to watch someone so clueless be so horribly awful with such confidence.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

It's like something a woefully unpopular jr high kid would make by himself.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Is newsbusters still raging against every incident of the media not hating gays as evidence of the liberal conspiracy?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
:lol: the wave of laughter that sounds exactly the same everytime. This owns.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 10, 2014

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
NewsBusted owns

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.

pd187 posted:

Hey let's talk about NewsBusters and Brent Bozell's laugh-tracked rip off of Weekend Update, "NewsBusted with Jodi Miller":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw_ZSpm5HrA

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/nb-staff/2014/03/07/newsbusted-what-ronan-farrow-barack-obama-share-common-no-its-not-frank-si

So I ended up stumbling across this crap a couple years ago. My radio theatre group has performed a couple scripts this NYC-area writer submitted to our contests, and I ended up looking through his YouTube channel after he used our recording of one of his scripts to promote his book version. A lot of his videos were highlight reels of "jokes" he'd written for Newsbusted. They were all really bad and I'm half-convinced the dude was phoning it in for the money. According to his website, he stopped writing for the show some time in 2012.

It's nice that they've got two different awful canned laughter sounds now. Moving on up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Its has nearly 600 Likes for 16 Dislikes (?). The comments are full of conservatives unironically saying its hilarious.

quote:

"Rumors are surfacing that Hillary Clinton may be too sick to run for President. Oh, don’t worry, she'll be fine… it's not like she's enrolled In Obamacare." -Jodi Miller

Give it up for Jodi!

That "Give it up" is NOT sarcastic. These people are broken. I wonder how bad something has to be for them to hate it even though its conservative. I think I just answered by own question. If they don't like something it would cease to be conservative.