Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

boom boom boom posted:

Thunderbolt takes place in the wreckage of a destroyed colony. The giant gun is so Zekes hiding in the wreckage can snipe passing ships, the cloth coverings and movable shields are put on the GMs so they can go after they snipers without getting completely wrecked by debris instantly.

I was wondering what the deal was with those kits too. I guess that explains the extra shields mounted on manipulator arms as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
It does bug me a little that the Thunderbolt GM model doesn't have a coreblock, considering how prominently that's featured in the manga.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I really love this site.

Also I'm surprised at how well that looks. I love thick Mobile Suits.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Seravee is an awesome design, and it makes too much sense to combine with a Guncannon.

Now Bandai needs to give the not-Exia/00 MSes the MG (or RG) treatment like they did with SEED. I need an MG Dynames, the part separation on the 1/100 kit is awful.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 9, 2014

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I too like the heavier armored suits. Its why I started to buy more Frame Arms kits.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Those remind me, I wish we got an actual kit of the Cheridum SAGA. :swoon:

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Fauxtool posted:

I too like the heavier armored suits. Its why I started to buy more Frame Arms kits.

I had never seen these, but a brief look-see on Amazon shows a bunch of awesome looking robots. How's the quality on the Frame Arts line?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CaptainRat posted:

I had never seen these, but a brief look-see on Amazon shows a bunch of awesome looking robots. How's the quality on the Frame Arts line?

Really good. They are a head shorter than a MG. They all use the same inner frame so all the parts are freely interchangeable. They seem to make a point of not using stickers or paint by using many plastic colors.

I bought this kit

You can see the mounting holes on the hips and legs where the armor used to be

It looks like this with no paint or stickers. Havent panel lined yet

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 9, 2014

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Fauxtool posted:

Really good. They are a head shorter than a MG. They all use the same inner frame so all the parts are freely interchangeable. They seem to make a point of not using stickers or paint by using many plastic colors.

I bought this kit

You can see the mounting holes on the hips and legs where the armor used to be

It looks like this with no paint or stickers. Havent panel lined yet

What kit is this? I want one.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I really like that Guncannon Seravee thing. I've been thinking about getting some Frame Arms kits because I love that sort of armour swapping customization thing. They are also all compatible with all the Kotobukiya MSG Weapon sets and stuff. I never knew they were almost as large as an MG though. I love the big chunky guys and I'm definitely going to grab something when I get my airbrush. A lot of them feel like weird SRW Originals type stuff too.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Frame Arms are cool, but be sure to disassemble and denub the inner skeleton they give you.

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

It's the Baselard.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

Baselard
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/de...0%24pagecnt%3D1
+
Expansion Parts

Also this kit that has a lot of the same parts and a different color scheme.

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=TOY-SCL2-22413

The kits are so uniformly good i wish they would make a tv show or game for them to get some more exposure. Armored Core with Frame Arms please.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
During an awkward step in the process for my Gouf 2.0, one of the little pistons shot out across the room somewhere, and now I'll surely never find it (the lighting is bad in here and it's a tiny grey piece on a grey carpet). Now the leg won't work :smith:

Edit: False alarm, seems the piston part was cosmetic- articulation range remains the same with or without it, comparing the legs.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 10, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

March 20th will see the announcement of a new Gundam project for the 35th anniversary. A while back Kazunori Ueno (the president of Bandai) confirmed that we'd be seeing two new projects this year, one for gunpla and the other for the franchise in general. Which one this is is unknown, and the tagline (Rise! The World in Motion!) could really be either one.

Unless we're talking motion pictures. :unsmigghh:

May as well repost this here. I'm hoping it's an anime announcement or something because all that tagline makes me think of is animatronics and god drat it I just want them to buckle down on the 2.0 train already. :negative:

Caros
May 14, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

May as well repost this here. I'm hoping it's an anime announcement or something because all that tagline makes me think of is animatronics and god drat it I just want them to buckle down on the 2.0 train already. :negative:

They're going to announce that Build Fighters is getting a second, third, fourth and fifth season. :colbert:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
A remake of Turn A where Build Fighters is included in the Black History and the Moonlight Butterfly covered everything in Plavsky particles.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

During an awkward step in the process for my Gouf 2.0, one of the little pistons shot out across the room somewhere, and now I'll surely never find it (the lighting is bad in here and it's a tiny grey piece on a grey carpet). Now the leg won't work :smith:

Edit: False alarm, seems the piston part was cosmetic- articulation range remains the same with or without it, comparing the legs.

Put a flashlight on the floor, pointing the beam parallel to the carpet. This makes the shadows of things on the floor much larger than they are with overhead lighting. You may have to change position and direction of the light a few times before you find it.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
MG Sengoku Astray arrived today and the boxart is soooo good goddamn. It also comes with a lil' adaptor thing to put the shield/backpack onto the Build Strike and I guess by extension that means any of the BF MGs?

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Midjack posted:

Put a flashlight on the floor, pointing the beam parallel to the carpet. This makes the shadows of things on the floor much larger than they are with overhead lighting. You may have to change position and direction of the light a few times before you find it.

This doesn't work too well for small clear pieces unfortunately. I managed to find one of the side panels for the HG 00 Gundam's head by putting a sock on a hoover/vacuum cleaner pipe.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

EthanSteele posted:

MG Sengoku Astray arrived today and the boxart is soooo good goddamn. It also comes with a lil' adaptor thing to put the shield/backpack onto the Build Strike and I guess by extension that means any of the BF MGs?

Hey let me know how the legs on yours are. When I got mine the two joints that connect the leggs to the wait were wobbly as all get out. I had to glue them together for stability.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I won't be building it for at least a month, but I'll make sure to check. I'll be surprised if it is though, the regular Red Frame MG is super good so I'd hope they haven't messed it up.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

EthanSteele posted:

I won't be building it for at least a month, but I'll make sure to check. I'll be surprised if it is though, the regular Red Frame MG is super good so I'd hope they haven't messed it up.

Yeah that's what got me. Also if yours comes with a poo poo ton of extra parts and trees that I pray is just conversion material. I swear I had parts to stuff the Sengoku just does not have. Such as the hilt to the tactical arms system.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

That's normal. All of the BF MGs come with parts from the original MG it's based on.

Is this your first time building a variant?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

That's normal. All of the BF MGs come with parts from the original MG it's based on.

Is this your first time building a variant?

Sans something like the the Strike Rouge, yes it was.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's more cost-efficient to just make pieces you won't use than to redesign the runners to not include parts, so all variants have a lot of "junk" parts. The BF MGs in general will all let you build the original model, sans a couple details that were their own runners (Aile Striker, Tactical Arms).

This also means that the Sengoku Astray uses the exact same engineering as the Red Frame Kai, so if you were having troubles with one and not the other it honestly sounds like you just built it wrong.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

It's more cost-efficient to just make pieces you won't use than to redesign the runners to not include parts, so all variants have a lot of "junk" parts. The BF MGs in general will all let you build the original model, sans a couple details that were their own runners (Aile Striker, Tactical Arms).

This also means that the Sengoku Astray uses the exact same engineering as the Red Frame Kai, so if you were having troubles with one and not the other it honestly sounds like you just built it wrong.

Yeah I've taken that into account to be honest. I took the parts apart and checked all of them, and if it does turn out I hosed up building a section with 3 parts I may just pack it up because clearly Im incompetent.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Nowadays they really plan around the slightest chances of future variations, the older the kit the more parts you will have left over.

One notable example is the (likely somewhat intentional) MG Age2 Double Bullet.
Here are the parts left over, and here is the MG original gimmick compared to the original designs

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Is there a comparison somewhere of the same model in HG and MG form? I've been building HGs but I hear better things about the stability and posability of MGs.

Particularly, my HG Wing has somewhat loose joints around the hand and shoulders.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Thanks to this thread I'm looking into getting a Frame Arms, anyone know which is considered the best one to start out on?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

TARDISman posted:

Thanks to this thread I'm looking into getting a Frame Arms, anyone know which is considered the best one to start out on?

I'm doing the same and this is the one I'm looking into.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

unpurposed posted:

Is there a comparison somewhere of the same model in HG and MG form? I've been building HGs but I hear better things about the stability and posability of MGs.

Just look at dalong.

That should totally be the name of the next thread by the way.

TARDISman posted:

They're all based around the same few frames, so theoretically any of them should be fine. The only one I have any knowledge of is the Baselard though, and it's pretty solid.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

I'm doing the same and this is the one I'm looking into.

Same here, looks basic, has an expansion set. Also love the colors, reminds me of Jehuty from Zone of the Enders.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TARDISman posted:

not the older ones, you get less value and they usually need an add on kit to make them "complete"
the build quality hasnt changed so if you like it, buy it.
anything from the first page
http://slist.amiami.com/top/search/list?s_keywords=frame+arms&pagemax=20&getcnt=0&pagecnt=1

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I have a couple of flash marks left over on my kit that I've already evened out as much as I can with the hobby knife; it's more the discoloration/rough patch than the actual nub. I don't plan on painting this, so is sanding it down just going to make things worse?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Anonymous Robot posted:

I have a couple of flash marks left over on my kit that I've already evened out as much as I can with the hobby knife; it's more the discoloration/rough patch than the actual nub. I don't plan on painting this, so is sanding it down just going to make things worse?

My trick to fixing that is to get an appropriately colored marker, dab the spot, and then rub off the excess with a paper towel. You'll never get rid of it entirely, but it does cover it up a significant amount.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yes, sanding that will make it many mucho times worse. Follow TaurusOxford's advice.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You can't really fix that discoloration with anything but paint. You can try scratching it, I guess. The friction from your finger nail will sort of help.

Gihon
Jan 9, 2014

I just ordered an MG Sinanju Stein Ver. Ka and an MG ReZEL Type-C Defenser. I'm so loving stoked. Anyone have any advice for either of these kits?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Be careful with the Sinanju Stein's hands, I don't think they nailed the fully articulated hands down quite yet at that point. Also get a tiny screwdriver ready for the ReZEL, it uses a screw to stabilize the transformation. Get it an action base too, its balance is probably not that great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gihon
Jan 9, 2014

BlitzBlast posted:

Be careful with the Sinanju Stein's hands, I don't think they nailed the fully articulated hands down quite yet at that point. Also get a tiny screwdriver ready for the ReZEL, it uses a screw to stabilize the transformation. Get it an action base too, its balance is probably not that great.

Thanks. Should I bite the bullet and buy airbrushing stuff too, or can I get away with just decals and topcoat on these kits?

• Locked thread