Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Powershift posted:

That's not entirely unreasonable in the realm of current electric cars.

The first gen smart electric got 68 miles to an 8 hour charge.

Even the most modern smarts and 500es get about 90 miles to a 6 hour charge, and they weren't built in a shed.

It's bad when you consider he decided to out his car on display in such close proximity to a couple Tesla Models. You can't see them well but they're in the background of the first pic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

drukqs posted:

Turns out this was trolling thank God.

I was new to the group and... I mean... these are the same people who would pay thousands for ratty economy cars with no racing pedigree other than the fact that this model was featured in Initial D so it caught me off guard.

Several years ago there was a guy on a local car forum importing and trying to sell JDM fleshlights. I think he sold a few.

I also had a coworker that was importing and selling some air fresheners from Japan. He always kept one in his car, and it made my eyes tear up every time.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That Mustang was converted a long time ago and has been on the current battery pack for about 5 years. :dealwithit:
Speaking of Japanese air fresheners though, i seem to recall that cabs in Tokyo have some kind of air freshener built into them on the rear deck, about the size of a box of tissues.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
An automotive-biased raid of a few 100 yen shops seems like it could be profitable...

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

WTS: JDM squash air fresheners $60 shipped.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
I was at an autocross and a fellow WRXer gave me one of those JDM air fresheners because he bought a bunch and his girlfriend didn't like them. They smelled...interesting. Not like anything particular. Lasted a long time too.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

anonumos posted:

Me? I want a Saturn SC2 with an AMC straight six shoehorned into it. I don't care if it's possible, I just know that my lottery winnings will make it happen.*

* I'll never win, so it's moot.

One in each end with transaxles, hand throttles for each, two seperate gearshifts.

Also, you could probably pull this off for like 3k in parts so start buying lotto tickets. SC2s and AMC straight sixes are both solidly in "give me 200 dollars and a case of beer and get this thing off my lawn" territory.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

drukqs posted:

Turns out this was trolling thank God.

I was new to the group and... I mean... these are the same people who would pay thousands for ratty economy cars with no racing pedigree other than the fact that this model was featured in Initial D so it caught me off guard.

The biggest shame is that they do. People were racing AE86s from the showroom basically, but it most certainly doesn't justify someone pricing their Corolla SR5 with 400,000km and severe rot for $3500.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

CharlesM posted:

Speaking of Japanese air fresheners though, i seem to recall that cabs in Tokyo have some kind of air freshener built into them on the rear deck, about the size of a box of tissues.

This is exactly what my coworker had in his car. About the size of a box of tissue, not particular smell-- maybe like dryer sheets. But it made my eyes burn like crazy.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I just washed this the day before. I don't know, maybe I'm impressed? Both sides of the car. I don't know what kind of massive bird diarrhea this is, but it happened to my neighbor's car about a year ago.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

^-
Do you live near the sea? I used to see things like this sometimes with seagulls + bad squally weather - they'd be retreating inland and unleash some unholy mess on some poor dudes car, mixed in with rain etc.

Not my photo since I was overtaking it on a busy motorway, but I saw one of these this weekend - definitely gets my vote for worst way to spend $600 (unpainted & unfitted) on a huge bit of trim for your lovely PT cruiser.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cynic fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 10, 2014

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I actually like the way it looks (continentals suit the PT, no surprises there), but $600 plus paint and it's not even a functional spare? Yeah, eff that noise.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

FogHelmut posted:

I just washed this the day before. I don't know, maybe I'm impressed? Both sides of the car. I don't know what kind of massive bird diarrhea this is, but it happened to my neighbor's car about a year ago.

This would just ruin my day. I get a kick out of a single quarter-sized dooklet right after washing, but this? This is more than a 15-second Quikwax wipe.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

MetaJew posted:

This is exactly what my coworker had in his car. About the size of a box of tissue, not particular smell-- maybe like dryer sheets. But it made my eyes burn like crazy.

maybe it's because Japanese people tend to be big smokers? Are cabs no smoking in Japan?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

rscott posted:

maybe it's because Japanese people tend to be big smokers? Are cabs no smoking in Japan?

I've seen plenty of cars with these deodorizer things - a bunch of my ricer friends like the "squash" smell and know where to pick them up in town. It seems to work better than a tree but definitely gives the car a funk that says, "I am lowered resale value."

I've seen some JDM cars with active deodorizers built into the car with a charcoal filter - must've been some kind of dealer option.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

cynic posted:

^-
Do you live near the sea? I used to see things like this sometimes with seagulls + bad squally weather - they'd be retreating inland and unleash some unholy mess on some poor dudes car, mixed in with rain etc.

About less than an hours drive from the ocean.

Found the pic of the neighbor's car last year -

My step dad seems to think it is a Great Blue Heron. Wouldn't surprise me.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Leaving the bird poo poo discussion and moving onto the batshit crazy discussion, I found this thread over on the Veloster Turbo forums. Apparently owners are falling for this magical pixie oil treatment left right and centre as there are 146 pages in that thread, with a surprisingly positive reception. Ticks all the boxes for bullshit treatment, "nano" particles, improves power and mileage, liquid jesus in a bottle engine healing properties, "It's not like all the other snake oils I promise.", Proven testing(all done by owner/inventor of it) Crazy how many people fall for it.

http://www.velosterturbo.org/forum/veloster-maintenance/5282-good-order.html

I'm curious though, will I get to enjoy the schadenfreude when these guys blow motors in their new cars and get denied warranty, or is this snake oil more of the lighten-your-wallet and doesn't actually do anything variety?

For those who don't want to click links and whatnot, this particular brand of snake oil is called CERMA

Any good stories of people falling for snake-oil that destroyed their cars/trucks?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The mazdas247 forum is pretty similar. It's unfortunate that Andy Hollis posted there, but it was nothing but mouth breathing morons who couldn't stop buying bolt ons for their subcompact commuter car.

I'm talking about people with like 15k+ of bolt ons in a car that costs 15k and makes 100hp.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Bajaha posted:

Leaving the bird poo poo discussion and moving onto the batshit crazy discussion, I found this thread over on the Veloster Turbo forums. Apparently owners are falling for this magical pixie oil treatment left right and centre as there are 146 pages in that thread, with a surprisingly positive reception. Ticks all the boxes for bullshit treatment, "nano" particles, improves power and mileage, liquid jesus in a bottle engine healing properties, "It's not like all the other snake oils I promise.", Proven testing(all done by owner/inventor of it) Crazy how many people fall for it.

http://www.velosterturbo.org/forum/veloster-maintenance/5282-good-order.html

I'm curious though, will I get to enjoy the schadenfreude when these guys blow motors in their new cars and get denied warranty, or is this snake oil more of the lighten-your-wallet and doesn't actually do anything variety?

For those who don't want to click links and whatnot, this particular brand of snake oil is called CERMA

Any good stories of people falling for snake-oil that destroyed their cars/trucks?

One guy in there claimed it made his BOV louder. :iiam:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bajaha posted:

Probably the latter. It seems to be endemic to car forums in general. Same thing with high-octane gas in everyday cars, people get suckered into "more=better" and subconsciously make the prophecy of better mileage come true by subtle changing their driving style.

Most additives are nothing more than expensive naphtha with a bit of coloring for the fancy versions.

The nano bullshit additives usually go in the oil, and they're really nothing more than cheap SAE20 oil with various poo poo in them. Most of them probably won't do any harm, any particulate matter will get stuck in the filter.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I've seen plenty of cars with these deodorizer things - a bunch of my ricer friends like the "squash" smell and know where to pick them up in town. It seems to work better than a tree but definitely gives the car a funk that says, "I am lowered resale value."

I've seen some JDM cars with active deodorizers built into the car with a charcoal filter - must've been some kind of dealer option.

It's quite common, some NZ new cars have this as well (Toyota, can't speak for other brands), presumably because we get what are essentially just slightly localised JDM corollas.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.

My dad says this is not completely useless and I believe him. He has been building engines since the 70's. Now don't get me wrong, he doesn't put it in every oil change and fill up in his modern cars, but it can help out an old filthy engine.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Citycop posted:

My dad says this is not completely useless and I believe him. He has been building engines since the 70's. Now don't get me wrong, he doesn't put it in every oil change and fill up in his modern cars, but it can help out an old filthy engine.

That absolutely had it's place. In ancient diesel motors.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Also works a treat for decarbonizing/reviving stubborn Wankels, if you are too good to just use plain ATF.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
Also smells like wintergreen so it makes the shop smell nice.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Terrible Robot posted:

Also works a treat for decarbonizing/reviving stubborn Wankels, if you are too good to just use plain ATF.

Plus MMO has methyl salicylate (wintergreen oil) so it makes your oil smell like christmas.

E: :argh:

beanofan69
Mar 26, 2005

by Ralp

razorscooter posted:

My stupid dream idea for a Prius was to just put a turbo on it like Blitz did with theirs or like this person did.

Content:

So I'm pretty sure I saw this same van a few months ago, only with some different words on it now.

I'm bad at taking pictures.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KozmoNaut posted:

Probably the latter. It seems to be endemic to car forums in general. Same thing with high-octane gas in everyday cars, people get suckered into "more=better" and subconsciously make the prophecy of better mileage come true by subtle changing their driving style.

Most additives are nothing more than expensive naphtha with a bit of coloring for the fancy versions.

The nano bullshit additives usually go in the oil, and they're really nothing more than cheap SAE20 oil with various poo poo in them. Most of them probably won't do any harm, any particulate matter will get stuck in the filter.

Do car guys run U4.4 or MR12 or anything like that? It's legit worth 6-10hp on the little 600cc bikes making 120whp after a tune (130hp+ 600cc bikes with U4.4+tune). Mmm... 160whp GSXR750.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 11, 2014

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Phone posted:

The mazdas247 forum is pretty similar. It's unfortunate that Andy Hollis posted there, but it was nothing but mouth breathing morons who couldn't stop buying bolt ons for their subcompact commuter car.

I'm talking about people with like 15k+ of bolt ons in a car that costs 15k and makes 100hp.

I see a lot of irony in this post.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Larrymer posted:

I see a lot of irony in this post.

Don't say things you can't take back.

In my defense, I was probably 1 out of maybe 3 people on the entire site who had driven a Mazda2 on track. My extensive mod list on the 2 was: "Rear sway bar" and Dunlop Star Specs.

The Miata doesn't count because it's right wheel drive and actually handles well. Also because of NASA PT*.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Do car guys run U4.4 or MR12 or anything like that? It's legit worth 6-10hp on the little 600cc bikes making 120whp after a tune (130hp+ 600cc bikes with U4.4+tune). Mmm... 160whp GSXR750.

I picture rods fighting for their freedom from their compression ratio oppressors.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Phone posted:

I like Proteges and even modded mine (suspension, etc.) and even later did a turbo swap (which I've come to think was kinda silly) but what addons can you get that cost $15k?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CharlesM posted:

I like Proteges and even modded mine (suspension, etc.) and even later did a turbo swap (which I've come to think was kinda silly) but what addons can you get that cost $15k?

If you pay full, brand-name price for CARB-approved parts they can add up pretty quick, especially considering how low volume Mazdas are, so economies of scale don't come into play.

$1,100 exhaust here, $1,500 CAI there, coilovers, racecar springs, adjustable suspension links, thicker swaybars, RIMMZZZZZ... $15k may be hyperbole, but only just.

I used to have big plans for the MSP, nowadays I'm thinking just A) get it running again, and B) build it enough to safely max out the stock turbo and enjoy until the wheels fall off.

E: Also don't forget mechanical snake oil like vortex intakes/electric "superchargers", freer-flowing intake manifolds with stock MAF and stock head ports, HIGH ENERGY IGNITION, Walboro fuel pumps on cars that don't need them, piggyback ecus (ignore that my car has one, it actually makes a difference on the MSPs)...

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 11, 2014

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

beanofan69 posted:

So I'm pretty sure I saw this same van a few months ago, only with some different words on it now.

I'm bad at taking pictures.

"My dogs vote?" :confused:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

CharlesM posted:

I don't even think there is a decent coil over out there, but the K Sport is over a grand. A full exhaust is about a grand, more if you replace the header. Do some sweet intake modz for 500. Send your ECU off to some guy who promises sweet gains while posting nothing? Another $1500. You also need to replace a dogbone shaped motor mount. So for power and handling you're looking at close to $5k.

But then you gotta ride in style, so you buy JDM Demio tail lights for $250 a piece. You gotta have gaudy rims, $1000. Falken Azenis RT-615s are $500... And then body kits. Sweet diffusers and splitters, etc.

Basically go look at Corksport and be horrified that people have the entire catalog on their car that has never seen the track and if it's heavily modified, maybe makes a dozen or two more HP than stock.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Previa_fun posted:

Can you imagine being that addicted to loving cigarettes of all things? Jesus.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Previa_fun posted:

I actually dug around to try and find some large images of that thing, just to read all the stupid that's stuck to it. But it seems like nothing has made it to the internet but small gifs or low res camera phone shots.

I can't decide if that lady is legitimately crazy or she's just trolling the poo poo out of everyone for attention.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Posted to a local auto sale/trade group on facebook... description "For sale 7500 obo. 89 300zx non turbo. One of a kind body kit and customs costed me 10k alone my lose your gain"

A few quotes from the seller:

"U guys shood c my civic"

"Its a 350z clone"

"Its got a fast motor"

"7000 obo need gone got a new projekt"

someone else: "Do not let this man start another project lol"

"Im building a mustang with a bmw front and another car"

I am 99% sure it's a troll, but a well done one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It looks like something you'd have in a GTA game after spending five minutes slamming it into buildings.

And why is it a screenshot of a photo? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Because the mentally challenged people on the local facebook auto pages can't figure out how to upload pictures to more than one page. I have literally seen a phone screenshot of a phone picture of a phone screenshot with fingerpainted-on notes/price added using snapchat. And then another screenshot taken so they could post it.

It's basically what you get when you give rednecks technology and let them try and sell their camero on blocks on the internet. Think the worst of craigslist, but you can just click their name and see that they look and act on facebook exactly how you would expect... it's glorious for people-watching.

edit: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1435088150044459/ (join and watch the horrible poo poo flood your screen)

It's rather telling that the group admin confuses big words, the rules include the phrase "implicating a zero tolerance policy."

kastein fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 11, 2014