Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Arglebargle III posted:

B-but my historicity! :qq:

That's why I like CK2+'s invasion randomizer, you never know when or if they're coming!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Node posted:

I leave rebels up as long as possible when I am a new ruler and have a short reign penalty to prevent revolts, or to easily push through a revolt. It's pretty much cheating and it really needs to be fixed. I understand they did that so if your entire realm is under threat, you can raise your full levy and defend it, since even the vassals that hate you know that if the realm is invaded, they're hosed.

But it should be some hidden mechanic that dampens people joining factions and raises your levy count, instead of a straight up 50 or 75 opinion modifier. And that mechanic should erode over time, so you can't keep the rebels alive and not have to worry about factions. It's so god drat abusive.

Maybe the "Defending against foreigners/infidels" should tick down every certain period of time until it reaches zero.

The whole levy/opinion/revolt/rebellion system is really not very well balanced anymore, to be honest. It was decently tuned pre-Old Gods, but there have been so many changes since then to this group of game mechanics and many of them do not work well together. Realms are so much more volatile than they used to be.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
It does seem that these days I get a succession war and a couple of peasant/religious revolts every time a king dies regardless of my military size or the stats of my king. Most of the time my retinue and personal levies are enough to clear out the rebels but it is becoming a bit of a pain in the arse.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

monster on a stick posted:

They're here! :staredog:
:smugdog:

You don't want to see the bill to replenish the cataphract legion though.

Ahahaha. I guess this invasion has been khanceled.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

Ahahaha. I guess this invasion has been khanceled.

I hate you so much. Did you ever manage to sneak puns into events? I've never noticed them (or otherwise I banished them from my mind).

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

AdjectiveNoun posted:

If you look at the Mongols' invasion of Southern China, they used largely infantry armies of conscripted Chinese and Korean soldiers because the terrain was likewise really unsuitable for their traditional cavalry, and China was obviously a shitton richer than Europe during that time period, making the expense of its conquest worth it.

Look I just can't let this go: the Mongols lucked out with the conquest of Jin China since they'd happened to arrive after Jin and Song spent 40 years on a series of incredibly violent and exhausting wars. The old capital of Kaifeng changed hands 3 times in a ten year period, to give you an idea of how violent the wars were. The Mongols conquered China because the Chinese had spent the 40 years prior to their arrival kicking the absolute poo poo out of each other.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

Look I just can't let this go: the Mongols lucked out with the conquest of Jin China since they'd happened to arrive after Jin and Song spent 40 years on a series of incredibly violent and exhausting wars. The old capital of Kaifeng changed hands 3 times in a ten year period, to give you an idea of how violent the wars were. The Mongols conquered China because the Chinese had spent the 40 years prior to their arrival kicking the absolute poo poo out of each other.

And (IIRC) as I recall the Chinese failed to use their standard strategy until it was already too late: pay steppe nomads to go after the one faction that threatens to become too powerful.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Because they were busy fighting a huge war, yeah.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
And a lot of there success in Europe and the middle east was down in no small part to knowledge gained from Chinese captured in those campaigns

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

I didn't know that, but it's a really interesting parallel to the Islamic conquest of Persia and a whole lot of what was Byzantine territory at the time - the Byzantines and Sassanids were busy kicking the living poo poo out of each other and as a consequence the Caliphate had a chance to hit the ground running - the alienation of some desert tribes by the Byzantines (at a time when they usually played various tribes off against one another) religiously gave Islam a much more fertile ground to grow in, as well.

I've also been working to stabilize my realm (despite losing Georgia and Anatolia, I've taken most of Spain and Italy, as well as Egypt and North Africa after the Shi'ites reemerged there), and I've found that if you're trying to stabilize a giant realm you really only have two options. The first is play semi-Islamic in the sense that you rigorously prune your family tree by forcing most of your sons to take the vows, getting them killed, nor marrying your daughters, and so on and so forth. That way there's literally only one dude with a claim on your throne in every generation and as such a lot of the more dangerous factions never form. The second is that elective law is bullshit powerful.

I'm not sure how the ai works vis-a-vis elective law, but what I've seen so far leads me to believe that your electors will vote roughly in the order of dynasty-culture-religion-a whole bunch of other factors (liking the guy, preferring a weak or strong king, so on and so forth). As a consequence, if under 50% of your electors are of your dynasty, they'll almost always line up behind whoever you choose rather than let some other douchebag get on the throne.

However, once your dynasty hits a certain critical mass they'll start backing other candidates from your dynasty and that's when the whole civil war thing starts to become an issue. Basically you can generally count on your entire dynasty to vote for your guy (provided there's some other guy who poses a threat) even if they loving loathe you and want you dead. Balancing your realm between people in your dynasty and people who aren't to the point where the two are reasonably matched means that the risk of losing the throne goes down to zero.

I had one Empress assassinated while the heir was an insane, infirm, lustful, cruel, deceitful, drunkard guy with 0 diplomacy and the family still lined up behind the guy he wanted as soon as he stumbled onto the throne and vomited on a courtier. (The other lesson here is keep an eye on your elective heir, holy poo poo)

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Does the Shi'a uprising always start in Arabia/Mesopotamia or can it spawn elsewhere? I've had it occur four times in my latest game and each time it's roughly around Mosul/Baghdad.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Concerning the Mongols and the new DLC, has any of the DD said anything about how the hordes will work in RoI? I assume that they have to chance it somehow since they cant simply appear from noting anymore.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

occipitallobe posted:

(The other lesson here is keep an eye on your elective heir, holy poo poo)

Words to live by. "Oh my, my heir is temperate, zealous, diligent, ambitious, humble, lustful? I'll press his claim on the throne of Denmark now rather than wait for my current guy to die, what could possibly go wrong?" *dies and discovers that the heir since taking said throne of Denmark has become gluttonous proud wrathful content arbitrary*.

:suicide:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

e X posted:

Concerning the Mongols and the new DLC, has any of the DD said anything about how the hordes will work in RoI? I assume that they have to chance it somehow since they cant simply appear from noting anymore.

Why not? Mongolia is not part of the expanded map.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Torrannor posted:

Why not? Mongolia is not part of the expanded map.

Huh, I figured that at least the Ilkhanate and the Timurids appear far enough to the South for this to be a problem.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Late game "war to install [Claimant] in [Title]" wars get really stupid. Had one as the Empire of Italia, the Duke of Lombardia declared on me to install the King of Egypt (my dynasty but not my vassal) on the throne, with the King of Egypt himself not joining the rebellion but instead answering MY call of arms. The duke was obviously not happy about this and 65k "rebels flocking to the banner" spawned, which is 10x his regular levies.

And when I win, with the king of Egypt's help, he gets imprisoned. "Thanks for helping me against yourself, now go to prison, traitor"

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

canepazzo posted:

Late game "war to install [Claimant] in [Title]" wars get really stupid. Had one as the Empire of Italia, the Duke of Lombardia declared on me to install the King of Egypt (my dynasty but not my vassal) on the throne, with the King of Egypt himself not joining the rebellion but instead answering MY call of arms. The duke was obviously not happy about this and 65k "rebels flocking to the banner" spawned, which is 10x his regular levies.

And when I win, with the king of Egypt's help, he gets imprisoned. "Thanks for helping me against yourself, now go to prison, traitor"

:allears: that's amazing. The really annoying bit though is seeing adventurers invading countries that have elective succession.
* Invades, succesfully takes over.
* dies
* Next one elected is the son of original king, revokes all of the titles taken by the conquerer

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

canepazzo posted:

600+ hours in and I still can't figure out how to join in someone else's war against my liege to install me for that title.

Also, a few amusing observations from playing my first republic game (Amalfi) in ages:

1) I'm guessing that this is due to the huge opinion maluses that patrician families have against each other, but even with characters that aren't focused on intrigue (like say, 8-10 intrigue) I've been able to more or less plotstab other patricians at will, which is making winning elections trivial.
2) I thought that if I wiped out an entire family when I'm the doge, I'd get their trade posts in the same way that I get all of their titles/gold, but apparently not. And since I have way more trade posts than everyone else, I can't figure out a way to steal those few here and there that are combo breakering my chains.
3) Since I've had a lot of bad luck with eugenics (something like a 30/70% ratio of male births to female births and never getting a single genius male but usually at least one genius female per generation), I've just been marrying off my random male dynasty members to lustful women with additional fertility bonuses to increase the adult male count. This has had the hilarious side effect of giving nonstop tumbling events due to the dozens of lustful women in court, which in turn give events which increase the chance of my character becoming lustful, and so on.
4) Of course that also means to always have a nice chunk of change in the election fund to be safe because I've had the sex heart attack death multiple times now.
5) I'm trying for the 20k gold achievement, and I've found that I'm probably going to get it not from my monthly gains, but because of the huge family shares that each character gets combined with then passing down that inheritance to the next doge combined with constantly asking each new pope for money (about 2.5k each time, and sometimes I can ask twice per lifetime.)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

jpmeyer posted:

[...]3) Since I've had a lot of bad luck with eugenics (something like a 30/70% ratio of male births to female births and never getting a single genius male but usually at least one genius female per generation), I've just been marrying off my random male dynasty members to lustful women with additional fertility bonuses to increase the adult male count. This has had the hilarious side effect of giving nonstop tumbling events due to the dozens of lustful women in court, which in turn give events which increase the chance of my character becoming lustful, and so on.
[...]
*makes mental note to get more lustful women*

As for the stealing trade posts problem, lose an election, then plot to take over the trade posts?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Sheep posted:

Does the Shi'a uprising always start in Arabia/Mesopotamia or can it spawn elsewhere? I've had it occur four times in my latest game and each time it's roughly around Mosul/Baghdad.

I've had them hit eastern Persia once. This was several months ago, though, so maybe it's changed since then.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

double nine posted:

Words to live by. "Oh my, my heir is temperate, zealous, diligent, ambitious, humble, lustful? I'll press his claim on the throne of Denmark now rather than wait for my current guy to die, what could possibly go wrong?" *dies and discovers that the heir since taking said throne of Denmark has become gluttonous proud wrathful content arbitrary*.

:suicide:

Exactly. My heir belongs in MY COURT DAMNIT!

In my current game as England I turned on the Norse after making the Britanian Empire because payback's a bitch. I was happily bringing death and Christianity to Scandinavia when my heir moved to the court of the queen of Castille. Here I was, armies on the other side of the world, and with no interest in the Iberian Penninsula at all, but as soon as she took my heir she just had to go. I invited a claimant to court, gave them a county, and set sail for Castille. A few years later I owned 50% of Hispania and was both a tyrant and a truce breaker. I got my heir back but HIS heir was made Dutch somehow so I stabbed the dirty little foreigner, gaining kinslayer in the process, and told him to make me another Anglo-Saxon grandson.

My Emperor's title? The Pious.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

e X posted:

Huh, I figured that at least the Ilkhanate and the Timurids appear far enough to the South for this to be a problem.

In the stream it was said that Timur and Seljuk at least show up as special courtiers. I'm not entirely sure what mechanics they use, probably something like unlanded adventurers do, but you can now theoretically assassinate them before hand.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Mantis42 posted:

In the stream it was said that Timur and Seljuk at least show up as special courtiers. I'm not entirely sure what mechanics they use, probably something like unlanded adventurers do, but you can now theoretically assassinate them before hand.

You can assassinate them but the hordes still come anyway (I tried this with both the Golden Horde and Ilkhanate.) A benefit is that you get to wipe out their strongest military commander which helps.

One question: what should you spend money on once you've rolled in enough dough to upgrade your personal holdings? Should I try upgrading vassal holdings (cities, baronies, temples) besides the technology-centric ones?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

You can assassinate them but the hordes still come anyway (I tried this with both the Golden Horde and Ilkhanate.) A benefit is that you get to wipe out their strongest military commander which helps.

One question: what should you spend money on once you've rolled in enough dough to upgrade your personal holdings? Should I try upgrading vassal holdings (cities, baronies, temples) besides the technology-centric ones?

Depends on your playstyle. If you've got high taxes, building income-increasing buildings can help; if you're relying heavily on levies, building troop-increasing buildings can help. Either way, you only get a fraction of the effects from upgrading your vassal holdings so I'd only do it if you really have money to blow. A good way to burn through a cash surplus is with assassinations; even a king-tier vassal doesn't last long when you've got a spymaster parked on their capital and you've got a couple thousand gold to blow on diplo-stabs.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

They'll probably have the diplomatic immunity flag so you can't stab them.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Upgrading the money-making buildings of your baron-level vassals makes a lot of sense. While you will only get a fraction of that investment back as taxes, barons/mayors/bishops usually have nothing to spend the money they retain on, except to upgrade their holdings.

Improving universities, monastic schools and churches (the building itself, not the holding) has obvious benefits (tech points and faster tech growth for the first two buildings, piety to the liege, i.e. you, for churches). If you need more ships it can be helpful to invest in the ship-providing buildings.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

SeaTard posted:

They'll probably have the diplomatic immunity flag so you can't stab them.

I'm pretty sure the stream specifically mentioned the ability to kill them preemptively.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

TaurusTorus posted:

I'm pretty sure the stream specifically mentioned the ability to kill them preemptively.

That's kind of dumb. Normally I'm not one to bitch about historical immersion* or whatever, but this is an instance where a player has perfect foreknowledge of what is to come, when realistically you wouldn't. I at least hope they make it so that stabbing them is limited by range, so you have to have your demesne be in India/Persia/Russia to do so.

* I've been having a monstrous amount of fun as a Roman cultured Norse Pagan in Ireland, with a few extra tweaks to make Roman a semi-viable culture. So far from historical plausibility, but drat is it fun.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Sheep posted:

In my most recent game it popped up in North Africa. I have no idea what the rules for it are though.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

SeaTard posted:

That's kind of dumb. Normally I'm not one to bitch about historical immersion* or whatever, but this is an instance where a player has perfect foreknowledge of what is to come, when realistically you wouldn't. I at least hope they make it so that stabbing them is limited by range, so you have to have your demesne be in India/Persia/Russia to do so.

* I've been having a monstrous amount of fun as a Roman cultured Norse Pagan in Ireland, with a few extra tweaks to make Roman a semi-viable culture. So far from historical plausibility, but drat is it fun.

There should be a random event where if you stab them it triggers a revenge invasion even worse than the original. Or something. Granted I like the ability to try and neuter the Hordes before they come, despite them serving as the 'final' boss of the game. I just hate event spawn troops. Make the bastards suffer attrition and it would be more fair.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Playing ironman stresses me out so much. But everything you do feels so much more rewarding when you're not savescumming.

I started a new CK2+ ironman as Alexios Komnenos at the Alexiad start. I was putzing along just fine after retaking Nikaea when I got a Jihad for Nicaea called against me thanks to an early Crusade for Jerusalem. I was struggling but winning when I got this event:

Which turned into a "Joan of Arc" style arc with a bunch of events giving me a choice to support the woman and take relations hits from my vassals or imprison/censure her. I supported her most of the time until it started loving with my vassals too much, and I had to tone it down. Still, it was a really awesome and flavorful event chain I'd never seen before. She went on to kick a bunch of Fatimid rear end in the Jihad and later in a holy war for Alexandria. Is the "Joan of Arc" chain a Sons of Abraham addition?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah it was added in Sons of Abraham. Since the real Joan of Arc is after the game takes place it's a pretty good nod to it, since religion is a lot more important in CK2 than EU4.

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."
Google tells me it's a legitimate Greek woman's name, but "Garyphallia" sounds like a Greek word meaning "Gary's junk."

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

RagnarokAngel posted:

the real Joan of Arc is after the game takes place

Joan of Arc is (just barely) in the CK2 timeframe.

quote:

Joan of Arc (French: Jeanne d'Arc,[4] IPA: [ʒan daʁk]; ca. 1412[5] – 30 May 1431), nicknamed "The Maid of Orléans" (French: La Pucelle d'Orléans), is a heroine of France and a Roman Catholic saint.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_of_Arc

Non Sequitur
Apr 22, 2007
A queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah it was added in Sons of Abraham. Since the real Joan of Arc is after the game takes place it's a pretty good nod to it, since religion is a lot more important in CK2 than EU4.

Joan was active in the 1420s. CK2 lasts until 1453

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

That event chain is definitely one of my favorites. I got it as the Byz too ("Rodanthe the Maid," in my game) within like five minutes since you start at war in the start I picked, which was a nice surprise.

Are there any limits on it? Like, is it restricted to Christians or can a Persian girl decide to kick rear end in Ahura Mazda's name?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Is the Alexiad start before Robert Guiscard's invasion or after?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Non Sequitur posted:

Joan was active in the 1420s. CK2 lasts until 1453

Sorry, I was thinking that when the game was practically over but got mixed up.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

YouTuber posted:

Is the Alexiad start before Robert Guiscard's invasion or after?

Before. Official start date is when Alexios took over in April 1081, and I think Guiscard invaded like a month after that. They don't start at war, but I believe Robert has a claim on the duchy of Dyrrakhion.

FWIW I've never actually seen a Norman-Byzantine war break out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Had some Seljuk weirdness. They came in, took a little bit of land from a small Zoroastrian break-away state. Just before they arrived, the Sunni Caliph called a Jihad for North Africa against the Shiite Caliph (no crusades yet). A bit later I get a message that the Seljuks won the Jihad, and now had a little tiny bit of the far east of the map, and a strip of North Africa. I just took one last look and they have two counties in Spain (the Muslims there suddenly became Catholic), and all of what used to be the Kingdom of Sicily, but was basically Italy.

• Locked thread