Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

Daimo posted:

Obviously.

Is that the Langoliers?
Poor Bronson Pinchot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
The plane & passengers are in 1960s America, they have to pretend to be a negro teen-ager and solve his problem before their next leap, which will hopefully be the leap home.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Bolivar posted:

No idea what the original source for this is (read it from a Finnish tabloid news) but apparently there were five people who were checked-in for the flight but didn't board the plane (and also had their luggage removed from the plane as is customary).

If true, those people need to be kept under close guard and watch, if the Final Destination movies are to be believed...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think it's actually pretty frequent to have a certain number of people dodge fate by missing a flight that ends up crashing. I don't think 5 people missing the flight out of over 200 is abnormal (which is why overbooking exists). I'd be more concerned about the number of people said to be travelling on false passports. Does anyone know what the average for that is?

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

ooh, i've been a bad little poster!
Why don't planes have parachutes. Boeing has a lot of work to do.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

PT6A posted:

I think it's actually pretty frequent to have a certain number of people dodge fate by missing a flight that ends up crashing. I don't think 5 people missing the flight out of over 200 is abnormal (which is why overbooking exists). I'd be more concerned about the number of people said to be travelling on false passports. Does anyone know what the average for that is?

If plane crashes can be seen as a random sampling then it must be pretty rare because I don't think I've ever heard of this happening before.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Those people who missed the flight were actually the terrorists. It's just by sheer dumb luck that the plane crashed anyway. Allah Ackbar.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
The last time I flew with Malaysia it was on a rickety as gently caress old jet through a lightning storm and I was convinced I was going to die. No idea why so many people are saying they're so great because compared to an airline like Singapore they're awful.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
These guys now have a jet and can load it with a nuclear bomb and fly it into whatever they want

Knight Corgi
Jan 5, 2014

Rad Russian posted:

That was not necessarily their objective. By having tickets to Europe meant they would not need Chinese visas. China gives you something like 3 days for free if you have tickets out of there booked. So China would let them through if they arrived. Getting a long term visa for a fake passport is extremely hard and they would have been caught. Their plan could have been getting into China with fake European passports by simply getting a quick temp transfer visa at the airport. Having tickets to Europe allowed them an opportunity to do that.

That's what I thought. As I go to China every year, that wouldn't be my primary pick if I was an illegal immigrant. drat, I'd even say that Chinese are even pretty good to pluck out illegal immigrants if they ever saw one. Unless it's effectively cheaper to do that way.
They're going to soon regret this 3 days visa. :eng101:

AKA Pseudonym posted:

If plane crashes can be seen as a random sampling then it must be pretty rare because I don't think I've ever heard of this happening before.

Or simply maybe nobody cared, especially in South-East Asia. No idea about Malaysia's airport security though.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I think it's about time we bomb china as a show of strength

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
what if....

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

The last time I flew with Malaysia it was on a rickety as gently caress old jet through a lightning storm and I was convinced I was going to die. No idea why so many people are saying they're so great because compared to an airline like Singapore they're awful.

They wiki'd the company and found there was only a few accidents in their operational history and based their opinion on that

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

One of the news reports I read mentioned in another crash somewhere in Asia there was something like 20 fake identities

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Apparently Mario Balotelli and his identical twin blew up the plane.

Thread closed.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Vertical Lime posted:

malaysa airlines stock dropped 10% so far today

i thought it would be more

they have a decent safety track record

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Turns out Malaysia blew up the plane and they're involved in trolling the worldd with 23x deaths too

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Seth McFarlane missed his flight, which later ended up bringing down the South Tower.

Prof.Snugglesworth
Feb 9, 2009

Ooo...you make me live now honey.

Lady Galaga posted:

They wiki'd the company and found there was only a few accidents in their operational history and based their opinion on that

I've flown on Malaysia several times before and the worst thing I can say about them is that the last time I flew with them, I ended up having to eat nasi lemak on two consecutive flights.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

genesplicer posted:

Seth McFarlane missed his flight, which later ended up bringing down the South Tower.

If only he had made it. Those 'terrorists' would have been loving heroes.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Good run down of the current facts from the BBC. Including the revalation that they're looking for the plane by just standing on the beach and listening really closely.

quote:

At a time as yet undisclosed, a relative reportedly managed to call one of the passengers, who was carrying a Singapore phone. Malaysia Airlines has repeatedly tried to call the same number but no ringtone has been heard.

I think they just mean they're not getting through to the phone but that's a weird way of putting it.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Maybe it got hit by an asteroid

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Good run down of the current facts from the BBC. Including the revalation that they're looking for the plane by just standing on the beach and listening really closely.

I think they just mean they're not getting through to the phone but that's a weird way of putting it.

They're puttering around the ocean, calling a cellphone number over and over their ears straining to hear something other than waves.

"You hear anything yet?"

"Nothing... What if it's on vibrate?"

"poo poo, you're right. Let's look for bubbles or something, too."

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Prof.Snugglesworth posted:

I ended up having to eat nasi lemak on two consecutive flights.

i don't watch animes, what is that?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

myshl0ng posted:

Why don't planes have parachutes. Boeing has a lot of work to do.

WastedJoker posted:

Apparently Mario Balotelli and his identical twin blew up the plane.

Thread closed.

Read this as "Mario Batali". Laughed.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Big Beef City posted:

Read this as "Mario Batali". Laughed.

I hear he makes some bomb-rear end Italian.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Sounds like a cool X Files episode

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

mitztronic posted:

i don't watch animes, what is that?

rice

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

why can't an airplane just up and turn into a blimp if there is trouble? Don't tell me the answer is physics.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

why can't an airplane just up and turn into a blimp if there is trouble? Don't tell me the answer is physics.

Particle physics

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

AKA Pseudonym posted:

They must be pretty desperate trying to call some random phone because a griefstricken relative claims they managed to get through to it.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Some country's military screwed up and shot it down just like with KAL 007 and it went nose-in, there's nothing left but a few scraps of metal on the seafloor

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

The Something Awful Forums > Main > GBS 1.4 > Another 777 crashed you probably knew someone on it (but it turns out their passport was stolen)

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

Zeno-25 posted:

Some country's military screwed up and shot it down just like with KAL 007 and it went nose-in, there's nothing left but a few scraps of metal on the seafloor lot of poo poo that leaves a floating debris trail, there may even be a nautical name for such floating debris

Fixed

texasmed
May 27, 2004
bush did MH370

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
This plane was either vaporized by a meteoroid or they are just more victims of HAARP. Wake up white people!

freakspeak
Dec 20, 2004

Of course if wishes were horses we'd all be eating steak.
loving wormholes are now stealing our airplanes!

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

Skipjack posted:

favin that poo poo to retweet a hundred times when it turns out it was a structural failure

hope you've got your rt-ing finger ready: Stolen jet passport 'no terror link'

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Lady Galaga posted:

uhhhh that seems reasonable to me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
News just in: In a stunning development that will send ripples of shock around the belly tires of Middle America, it has just been revealed that the suspect brown person is not a terrorist, repeat: not terrorist.

http://news.sky.com/story/1223813/missing-malaysia-jet-suspect-not-terrorist

e: f,b.

• Locked thread