Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
A Yes slapfight is so :shobon:. Saw them live last year first time ever and Steve Howe is still amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Rust Martialis posted:

A Yes slapfight is so :shobon:. Saw them live last year first time ever and Steve Howe is still amazing.

He might well be, but what good is Yes without Jon :colbert:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Nobody Interesting posted:

He might well be, but what good is Yes without Jon :colbert:

New guy sounded fine to me. vOv

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Rust Martialis posted:

A Yes slapfight is so :shobon:.

I also do King Crimson, Gentle Giant, VDGG, and Genesis slapfights.

I will fight anyone over the internet about Nursery Cryme

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Pro- or anti- Nursery Cryme? I'm very much pro- and slapfights are what being a progressive rock fan is all about, after all.

Edit: In other news, Gazpacho have a new album out in a week, and it sounds really promising from the trailer. IMO, they've yet to have a truly great album besides Night, but I'm feeling optimistic about this one.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 10, 2014

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

whaaaaaaat

Are there people out there who actually think Nursery Cryme is a bad album?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Seventh Arrow posted:

whaaaaaaat

Are there people out there who actually think Nursery Cryme is a bad album?

Dave Kerman (president of ReR USA, in lots of great prog bands) doesn't think highly of it, I know that much. At one of the NEARfests I heard him comparing The Fountain of Salmacis to the Mickey Mouse march. But the guy also loves The Missing Piece the most of any Gentle Giant album and is very much on the avant garde side of prog, so I don't quite know what to make of that.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 10, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

^^The Missing Piece? Ewww

Firmly pro but I know lots of people who hate it (keyboard washes on Fountain of Salmacis are cheesy, what is going on with Harold the Barrel, Giant Hogweed is repetitive, etc.)

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Declan MacManus posted:

Tales from Topographic Oceans is kind of garbage. It's everything that people hate about progressive rock (well, 70's progressive rock) blown up into a double LP. It's so weird to hear people defend it, even in the prog thread.

That's why Tales is so great though! It's everything wrong with prog in a handy double LP.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
I quite enjoyed listening to Tales after I started to forget its critical reputation

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

^^The Missing Piece? Ewww

Firmly pro but I know lots of people who hate it (keyboard washes on Fountain of Salmacis are cheesy, what is going on with Harold the Barrel, Giant Hogweed is repetitive, etc.)

Nursery Cryme is my favorite Genesis album. Steve Hackett is at his best on it.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Nursery Cryme is my favorite Genesis album. Steve Hackett is at his best on it.

Yeah, that phrygian motif he uses on "The Musical Box" is really cool. Also, his tone throughout the album is awesome.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Rust Martialis posted:

New guy sounded fine to me. vOv

Jon Anderson's voice cannot be matched and it defines Yes :colbert:

It might be slightly acceptable if Jon's expulsion from the band was a bit more amicable. He was basically dying and the band hired a tribute band singer to replace him without really even consulting him. When said tribute band singer fell ill as well, they basically did the same thing. I don't know if I really want to see Yes live now.

Would love it if Jon and Rick did another acoustic bit, though. My dad saw them a few years ago. Have a picture of him and Jon, smile on dad's face might be bigger than the one in his wedding photos.

Can't replace Jon Anderson :reject:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Yes is a business and they will fire you and replace you with your son because they don't give a gently caress, man

E: Incidentally, their lead single from their new album was rejected from Drama.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Jon Anderson's voice cannot be matched and it defines Yes :colbert:

It might be slightly acceptable if Jon's expulsion from the band was a bit more amicable. He was basically dying and the band hired a tribute band singer to replace him without really even consulting him. When said tribute band singer fell ill as well, they basically did the same thing. I don't know if I really want to see Yes live now.

Would love it if Jon and Rick did another acoustic bit, though. My dad saw them a few years ago. Have a picture of him and Jon, smile on dad's face might be bigger than the one in his wedding photos.

Can't replace Jon Anderson :reject:

Aren't they all basically dying? I think Yes was going to come tour in my country a fair while ago until Rick Wakeman (or maybe it was Jon Anderson) fell ill and they cancelled. I rarely go to live music concerts because most of my favourite bands disbanded in the 70s or half their original members are dead, so it was very disappointing.

EDIT - They didn't cancel, but it looks like both of them got sick. Maybe I just had no money for the concert.

Octy fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 10, 2014

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Octy posted:

Aren't they all basically dying? I think Yes was going to come tour in my country a fair while ago until Rick Wakeman (or maybe it was Jon Anderson) fell ill and they cancelled. I rarely go to live music concerts because most of my favourite bands disbanded in the 70s or half their original members are dead, so it was very disappointing.

EDIT - They didn't cancel, but it was Rick Wakeman who had to leave and was replaced by his son back in 2008. Maybe I just had no money for the concert.

A lot of these old bands are surprisingly non-cadaverous. Jon himself is actually fairly healthy these days, but was booted out because he had a severe asthma attack.

Hell, Hawkwind are still going sounding as good as they did day one with Dave Brock pushing 73. Absolute privilege seeing them last December (alright so they're not really prog, but point still stands). Actually - are they prog? Are Hawkwind prog? Assault & Battery is prog, right?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Hell, Hawkwind are still going sounding as good as they did day one with Dave Brock pushing 73. Absolute privilege seeing them last December (alright so they're not really prog, but point still stands). Actually - are they prog? Are Hawkwind prog? Assault & Battery is prog, right?

Well, they have a page at prog archves, but that site seems somewhat liberal about what they consider prog. I mean, even Triumph has a page there.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Whoa whoa whoa. Who de-progged triumph?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Seriously? Are you saying that albums like Allied Forces and Thunder Seven sound like prog?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Full disclosure: I haven't listened to triumph since I was 12. My copy of thunder seven looks like a taco shell. Otherwise id give it a spin. I always in my head lumped triumph in with progressive hard rock bands like Savatage though.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 11, 2014

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Awaken is a bit more than just a diamond in the rough, buddy.

Awaken's on GFTO though so it makes the cutoff.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Rollersnake posted:

Pro- or anti- Nursery Cryme? I'm very much pro- and slapfights are what being a progressive rock fan is all about, after all.

Edit: In other news, Gazpacho have a new album out in a week, and it sounds really promising from the trailer. IMO, they've yet to have a truly great album besides Night, but I'm feeling optimistic about this one.

Nursery Cryme is my favorite Genesis album.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Gianthogweed posted:

Nursery Cryme is my favorite Genesis album.

Truly shocking.

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005
Speaking of stuff that's not Prog. I've been listening a lot to Brian Eno's early albums, that poo poo is awesome. "Taking Tiger Mountain (by Strategy)" and "Before an After Science" especially. But apparently it's "Art Rock"!
"King's Lead Hat" (with Robert Fripp on guitar) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp0k_o8gfQI

Super strict genre definitions are stupid anyway... I just like listening to music that's creative and different and the label Prog has pointed me to lots of interesting bands but using it only for classic Prog like Yes, King Crimson, Genesis, etc. seems weird and not very ... progressive :haw:

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Gianthogweed posted:

Awaken's on GFTO though so it makes the cutoff.

To be honest I haven't heard all of GFTO and I only heard Awaken from the Yes 35th anniversary compilation CD. It's a pretty awful CD because it has Owner of a Lonely Heart on it.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

loose-fish posted:

Speaking of stuff that's not Prog. I've been listening a lot to Brian Eno's early albums, that poo poo is awesome. "Taking Tiger Mountain (by Strategy)" and "Before an After Science" especially. But apparently it's "Art Rock"!
"King's Lead Hat" (with Robert Fripp on guitar) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp0k_o8gfQI

Super strict genre definitions are stupid anyway... I just like listening to music that's creative and different and the label Prog has pointed me to lots of interesting bands but using it only for classic Prog like Yes, King Crimson, Genesis, etc. seems weird and not very ... progressive :haw:

Well, there's always been sort-of "halfway prog" bands like Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, Blue Oyster Cult, etc. I like to refer to it as "gateway prog." You know, you can play it to kids in your neighbourhood, just to give them a little taste, then BAM! They're ready for a hit of the big stuff. Before you know it, they're scouring some back-alley second hand record store for their next fix (some obscure Canterbury scene album). Sometimes you just look in their eyes and you know it's been a long time since they last heard a 12-minute song about wizards.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

To be honest I haven't heard all of GFTO and I only heard Awaken from the Yes 35th anniversary compilation CD. It's a pretty awful CD because it has Owner of a Lonely Heart on it.

Owner of a Lonely Heart is a pretty catchy song. You just can't get caught up in the fact that it's Yes.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

loose-fish posted:

Of "gateway prog," early Eno is pretty close to the real thing IMO. I mean, I could imagine some normie enjoying almost anything by Renaissance (whom I've usually heard referred to as prog) long before I'd imagine them liking Baby's On Fire or Driving Me Backwards.

And I agree about not having super strict genre definitions, I mean I think you'd be right to discuss here anything from early Brian Eno to even the song Flying by the Beatles.

On the other hand, a lot of great bands pushed boundaries (making them somewhat "progressive") but it would just seem...subjectively weird to call them progressive rock.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

GFTO is a great album, although I never much liked the title track. As for Owner of a Lonely Heart, I've grown to like it. It's a very catchy song and a great example of neo-prog likely inspired by 80s Genesis. Actually that whole album, 90125, is pretty drat good and heads above most of anything they've done since. I like parts of Big Generator, most of ABWH, I really dig a few tracks off of Union (which gets a bad rap, it's not THAT bad, definitely not the worst they've done), Talk was mostly pretty solid, KTA had Mind Drive, which was great, and parts of That That Is (which starts out great but goes on too long and wears out its welcome), Open Your Eyes was pretty drat bad, but there were a few catchy and fun songs on there, The Ladder had the title track and a couple other decent songs, Magnification had Dreamtime, and Fly From Here was okay I guess. Like I said, a few diamonds in the rough, but mostly embarrassing to listen to, although I admit that a lot of it is a guilty pleasure.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 11, 2014

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Declan MacManus posted:

Owner of a Lonely Heart is a pretty catchy song. You just can't get caught up in the fact that it's Yes.
They were formed as a different band (Cinema) and renamed Yes under label pressure. You can't fault Cinema for taking a different direction than a completely different band.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Misogynist posted:

They were formed as a different band (Cinema) and renamed Yes under label pressure. You can't fault Cinema for taking a different direction than a completely different band.

I'm just trying to think of the coked out executive that's like "you gotta bring the marketing power and cultural legacy of a band that hasn't had a top album in like eight years, you owe it to people"

And I hate most of 90125 and all of Big Generator, but I really really dislike neo-prog anyways so :shobon:

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Those albums have a big more in common with Huey Lewis & the News I think :)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I sincerely hope the unstated subtext there is "because they're all rad as gently caress."

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

JAMOOOL posted:

Those albums have a big more in common with Huey Lewis & the News I think :)

I like Huey Lewis and the News though (or at least have an appreciation for the craft or whatever). It's just not very good Huey Lewis music.

And I probably come across as a weird dadrock fetishist; I like a lot of post-hardcore, most of which heavily dips its toes into prog (Dance Gavin Dance, Tides of Man, A Lot Like Birds, Secret Band) and lots of other weird mixes with prog, I just really dislike that particular brand of prog revival. I have ~*~*~strong opinions about prog~*~*~

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Declan MacManus posted:

I like a lot of post-hardcore, most of which heavily dips its toes into prog (Dance Gavin Dance, Tides of Man, A Lot Like Birds, Secret Band) and lots of other weird mixes with prog, I just really dislike that particular brand of prog revival. I have ~*~*~strong opinions about prog~*~*~

Have you listened to Gospel - The Moon is a Dead World? Amazing album.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Gamma Nerd posted:

Have you listened to Gospel - The Moon is a Dead World? Amazing album.

It reminds me a lot of King Crimson in parts which is a surefire path straight to my heart :h:

E: Other modern albums I dig that are "arguably prog" (but might fall into math rock or post-hardcore or w/e):

Tera Melos - Patagonian Rats
Emarosa - Emarosa
Tides of Man - Dreamhouse
Gatsbys American Dream - Gatsbys American Dream

Declan MacManus fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 15, 2014

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

One modern prog album that I've been digging a lot is "The Garden" by Unitopia. I'm not even sure what makes it so rewarding to listen to, it's just very melodic throughout I guess. Oblivion Sun's album of the same name is also quite good.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

It reminds me a lot of King Crimson in parts which is a surefire path straight to my heart :h:

E: Other modern albums I dig that are "arguably prog" (but might fall into math rock or post-hardcore or w/e):

Tera Melos - Patagonian Rats
Emarosa - Emarosa
Tides of Man - Dreamhouse
Gatsbys American Dream - Gatsbys American Dream

Have you ever listened to BATS? They're a very strange math rock/post-hardcore outfit.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

All of Tick Tock is fantastic, and Mary Celeste in March of Ghosts easily makes up for the low points in the album. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
March of Ghosts I need to listen to again, but I remember being mostly unimpressed with it aside from What Did I Do?/Golem/The Dumb.

Tick Tock I've really tried with, but I honestly don't care for it aside from Winter is Never. Desert Flight is just them aping Muse, and the rest drags on and on.