Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Coxswain Balls posted:

Everything's exactly the way it came from the factory, other than the trace free setting which I set from 60 to 40, as per the TFT Central review, and the brightness is at 0%. I've only noticed it so far with bright white pages, such as SA or the Windows icon on the bottom left of both screens. It's not so bad that I can clearly read burned in text, but you can make out larger logos, scrollbars and the like.

Here's an example after reading SA for about an hour (Dead pixel is the camera, not the panel):

Normal? Faulty batch? It's not so bad now, but I don't want it to get any worse over time.

What you see there is not what I'm seeing. I just tried to replicate it today (~2 hours with a Chrome window on SA around the center of the monitor), and I'm seeing zero image persistence.

It's not normal for the PA248Q (otherwise the TFT Central review would have likely noted that, it's pretty thorough), but obviously it's not totally isolated. I'm not sure if something like that will get worse over time.

Sorry I'm not more help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
So uhm, I finally tried overclocking my qnix and holy crap, after tightening up the blanking interval just a bit it can do 120Hz with no artifacts, default blanking interval is fine up to 100Hz or so. The screen is noticeably darker at super high refresh rates, though, and I don't really feel like messing around with it much more when there might be a simpler answer... anyone know if you can compensate for the darkening with brightness/gamma (without loving up other balance), and/or whether there's an optimal overclocked refresh rate? i.e. does the darkening increase dramatically past a certain point, or is it linear above 60Hz?

Either way this is pretty amazing, flawless 27" 120Hz PLS for $280? G-sync et al are already dead in the water...

edit: no frame skipping either, of course

Straker fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Mar 8, 2014

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
I run mine at 96hz I havent tried tightening up the graphics on it yet though

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
Yeah, 120Hz is kind of excessive imho if I can just set it and forget it at 96 or 100, but if the darkening is proportionate (ie if 100 is nearly as bad) then that's not such an easy fix... just curious what others' experiences have been.

Then again if I can make 120 work well enough, being able to vsync at either 40 or 60Hz would be pretty nice as well.

edit: 96hz is pretty dark too now that I'm actually looking for it :( wonder how other people have dealt with this.

Straker fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 8, 2014

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I have a different color profile for 96hz

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

There are colour profiles online you can download. They'll fix the darkening.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

BrettRobb posted:

I run mine at 96hz I havent tried tightening up the graphics on it yet though

This is what I hear when people say tighten up regarding technology without a qualitative value.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRWvfMLl4ho

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Wasabi the J posted:

This is what I hear when people say tighten up regarding technology without a qualitative value.

I just assumed that was the reference he was making.

This one is still one of my favorites: http://tightengraphics.ytmnd.com/

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
in case "blanking interval" wasn't "qualitative" enough I meant I dropped the front and back porch by like 20-30ms each to cut down on bandwidth just a bit and that was enough to get rid of the sparkly shooting star artifacts v:shobon:v

El Scotch posted:

There are colour profiles online you can download. They'll fix the darkening.
thanks!

edit: Oh my god, took some effort since rapidshare etc. delete files after a year or so but finally found some good profiles, even the Windows desktop looks amazing at 120Hz :flashfap:

Straker fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 9, 2014

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
I've been looking for a 120Hz monitor that is 1080p and around 24". I can't seem to find one. Am I looking in the wrong places? I see lots of them at 26" and above, but that is just a little too big for my desk I think, unless it has almost no bezel. Suggestions?

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Wasabi the J posted:

:thejoke:

Also, in other news. Instead of being productive today, this happened. No more bezel. Feels good.

I regret nothing

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

BrettRobb posted:

I regret nothing

Nor should you. My mind is blown.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

shymog posted:

What you see there is not what I'm seeing. I just tried to replicate it today (~2 hours with a Chrome window on SA around the center of the monitor), and I'm seeing zero image persistence.

It's not normal for the PA248Q (otherwise the TFT Central review would have likely noted that, it's pretty thorough), but obviously it's not totally isolated. I'm not sure if something like that will get worse over time.

Sorry I'm not more help.

Nah, the more info the better, so thanks for that. I turned down the colour temperature to 5500K and it's much less noticeable, so I'll give it another few days to see how it goes.

BrettRobb posted:

Also, in other news. Instead of being productive today, this happened. No more bezel. Feels good.

I regret nothing

That looks amazing. I almost wish I didn't have a glass desk so I can use a stand like that.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Anyone have an idea on the ETA for IPS G-Sync monitors? 1080p and 60Hz preferred. Can't find anything on it, except maybe late 2014. I really want G-Sync but I need an IPS/PLS for artwork, and I don't have room on my desk for two screens. It'll be a shame to replace the nice NEC MultiSync I got last year, but gaming comes first I suppose.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
The solution is to get a bigger desk.

Anyhow, we don't even have 'proper' G-sync monitors yet, and the first ones will be gaming-geared TNs, so it'll be a while still.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

BrettRobb posted:

I regret nothing
What mount are you using?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

MondayHotDog posted:

Anyone have an idea on the ETA for IPS G-Sync monitors? 1080p and 60Hz preferred. Can't find anything on it, except maybe late 2014. I really want G-Sync but I need an IPS/PLS for artwork, and I don't have room on my desk for two screens. It'll be a shame to replace the nice NEC MultiSync I got last year, but gaming comes first I suppose.

Nvidia has pretty much come out and said that no one has found a way to make it work with IPS yet; technical reasons mostly involving response times. I'm sure it'll make headlines once someone figures it out.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 10, 2014

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tennis Ball posted:

I've been looking for a 120Hz monitor that is 1080p and around 24". I can't seem to find one. Am I looking in the wrong places? I see lots of them at 26" and above, but that is just a little too big for my desk I think, unless it has almost no bezel. Suggestions?

I second this request. I probably could get away with a 27" but the 24"s are significantly cheaper and I don't play any games or do any image editing. This would be a supplement to my rMBP screen when I want to edit my resume or browse the web on a bigger screen, i.e. rarely used.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Zero VGS posted:

Nvidia has pretty much come out and said that no one has found a way to make it work with IPS yet; technical reasons mostly involving response times. I'm sure it'll make headlines once someone figures it out.
G-Sync works fine with IPS monitors, there just aren't any that support 120Hz due to the higher response time. They are pushing 120Hz TN panels with G-Sync for the best possible smoothness, even though you'd get the most significant improvement and overall experience with 60Hz on an IPS panel.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Alereon posted:

G-Sync works fine with IPS monitors, there just aren't any that support 120Hz due to the higher response time. They are pushing 120Hz TN panels with G-Sync for the best possible smoothness, even though you'd get the most significant improvement and overall experience with 60Hz on an IPS panel.

Nah, I know Anand said "oh yeah it's fine", but when people complained that all nine or so current and announced panels were TN, an Nvidia rep made a semi-official post saying they haven't worked it out yet because of the panel's limitations. I don't have the time to find the post but I promise I didn't imagine it.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Zero VGS posted:

Nah, I know Anand said "oh yeah it's fine", but when people complained that all nine or so current and announced panels were TN, an Nvidia rep made a semi-official post saying they haven't worked it out yet because of the panel's limitations. I don't have the time to find the post but I promise I didn't imagine it.
The quotes on this page indicate nVidia was talking about why IPS panels can't do 120Hz. For marketing reasons nVidia may require partners to pair G-Sync modules with 120Hz+ LightBoost-enabled monitors, but that's not because it wouldn't work at 60Hz on IPS panels.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Was the 4k monitor they demoed it on IPS or TN? I want to say it was one of those 3 grand IPS ones.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

What mount are you using?

The $50 dual arm mount on amazon. Think the brand is "mount it" but I've seen at least 3 that are the exact same mount under different brands

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005UE3C24/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1394475605&sr=8-3

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

BrettRobb posted:

The $50 dual arm mount on amazon. Think the brand is "mount it" but I've seen at least 3 that are the exact same mount under different brands

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005UE3C24/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1394475605&sr=8-3
Ooh I have the same one at work but it's for smaller monitors. Do you think I could fit a couple of 30"s on the one you linked?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Alereon posted:

The quotes on this page indicate nVidia was talking about why IPS panels can't do 120Hz. For marketing reasons nVidia may require partners to pair G-Sync modules with 120Hz+ LightBoost-enabled monitors, but that's not because it wouldn't work at 60Hz on IPS panels.

This doesn't make sense to me because G-Sync comes packaged with an new, improved version of LightBoost for those types of gaming situations. There's no need to hawk both at the same time anymore.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

This doesn't make sense to me because G-Sync comes packaged with an new, improved version of LightBoost for those types of gaming situations. There's no need to hawk both at the same time anymore.
There does if the image you want to portray with the new technology is that your company is bleeding-edge super-high-ultra-fast gaming performance! That it would also work for us more pedestrian gamers is irrelevant to the marketing line they're using right now. Let's be honest: nVidia hasn't really spent a lot of marketing dollars on "the colors are better and crisper!" in the last few years, but a lot of dollars on "our top-end GPU gives you more FPS!" To launch a new tech and go "It makes your 120Hz even SMOOTHER!" makes more dick-waving sense than "It helps you scrubs with your sub-60FPS setups."

You're more likely to see IPS panels supporting something like AMD's "FreeSync" alternative in the near future, in all likelihood. No doubt G-Sync will catch up at some point, though, or at least be available as an add-in kit or something.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 10, 2014

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

tesilential posted:

I second this request. I probably could get away with a 27" but the 24"s are significantly cheaper and I don't play any games or do any image editing. This would be a supplement to my rMBP screen when I want to edit my resume or browse the web on a bigger screen, i.e. rarely used.

I am not so much concerned about cost. I just can't seem to find one anywhere.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

DrDork posted:

There does if the image you want to portray with the new technology is that your company is bleeding-edge super-high-ultra-fast gaming performance! That it would also work for us more pedestrian gamers is irrelevant to the marketing line they're using right now. Let's be honest: nVidia hasn't really spent a lot of marketing dollars on "the colors are better and crisper!" in the last few years, but a lot of dollars on "our top-end GPU gives you more FPS!" To launch a new tech and go "It makes your 120Hz even SMOOTHER!" makes more dick-waving sense than "It helps you scrubs with your sub-60FPS setups."

You're more likely to see IPS panels supporting something like AMD's "FreeSync" alternative in the near future, in all likelihood. No doubt G-Sync will catch up at some point, though, or at least be available as an add-in kit or something.

well, i guess i never thought of it that way. i do so enjoy having monitor dicks waved at me

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Follow up on "randomly turning off for a second every so often" Dell P2414H: replacement arrived this morning, no dead pixels, negiglible backlight bleed. I'm very happy.

IPS glow is rather annoying, though, so I think i'd be trying a BenQ VA panel next. Do PLS panels have less IPS glow?

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
I am quite soon getting a new office space at home, so I'm going to splurge (a bit) for a multi-monitor setup. I want to get some thin bezel displays and make one larger display out of them. The biggest wants out of this setup for me are to have enough screen real estate to have my RAdmin session to work (which runs at 3840x1200, or two 1920x1200 monitors) full size so I don't have to scroll the window while still having room for other windows, maybe play some light and medium weight games, and to also have one big rear end monitor because it would be cool.

My initial idea was 4 Dell 2414H 24" monitors in a 2x2 grid because they have 6mm bezels on the top and sides. The issue with this, though, is that the top pair of monitors would need to be turned upside down so that the thinnest edges are touching (due to the bottom bezel being significantly thicker than the other 3 sides). Unfortunately, based on my research, I think there's no way to have 2 monitors in one orientation (standard) and two monitors in a different orientation (flipped) and have them be a part of the same Eyefinity group (thus making them one display). Another option is to run them 4x1 in portrait mode with a left pair and a right pair with the tops of each monitor touching.

Is this correct? Would it be better to just have one pair in one orientation and one pair in another? Can I have two Eyefinity groups? That's an option I haven't yet investigated. It wouldn't be ideal, but at least it would work.

My current backup plan is to run 2 29" ultra widescreen monitors (probably Asus PB298Qs) on top of each other, but again, I think I'm going to have to have the top monitor upside down to keep the thinnest edges next to each other which just leads to the same problem as with the 4 24". The biggest problem with ultra widescreens is that I can't find one that runs higher than 1080 vertically, which fails one of my requirements to run an RAdmin screen without scrolling inside of it (even if it is only 120 pixels worth). The upside to two of these instead of 4 24" ones is that it is half the number of monitors (and thus video connections and cables) but I also then wouldn't have any bezel along the horizontal visual path, only vertical.

And since I want to keep it under (or very close to) $1000 for the whole monitor configuration and mount, those two seem like my best options right now. Anyone else have a better idea?

Also, does anyone know why the Dell U2412H is so cheap? Even the "deal" Dell offers when you add one to your cart costs $18 more than the list price on the site right now. Not that I am surprised that Dell has something potentially mispriced, mind.

Edit: Well poo poo, I just realized the Dell 2414H is not, in fact, x1200 as the Dell site listing claims. It is actually loving 1080 which explains why it is listed as 16:9 not 16:10. Goddamnit.

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 11, 2014

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

well, i guess i never thought of it that way. i do so enjoy having monitor dicks waved at me
yeah exactly. ironically enough, g-sync is best for broke rear end scrubs who can't afford decent setups and should just go back to xbone in the first place. I already have a good 1440p PLS monitor and hardware to run it at >60fps, I'm not going to spend another $50 on some dumb poo poo that can make it not look quite as bad when it stutters.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

These lg ultrawide monitors are set to come out soon:
http://www.lg.com/id/monitor/lg-34UM95
http://www.lg.com/id/monitor/lg-29UM65

And apparently the 34" one will go for around $1500

I want one!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

KinkyJohn posted:

I want one!

It's about $600 too much for me consider upgrading from my 29" 21:9. I really hope the Dell one ends up being under $1k.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

KinkyJohn posted:

I want one!

Goddamn for that price you can get 3 of those Seiki's 39" 4k monitors.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

KinkyJohn posted:

I want one!

Nice. I wonder how wide monitors will get before manufacturers will have to start curving their surfaces towards the viewer.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

GreatGreen posted:

Nice. I wonder how wide monitors will get before manufacturers will have to start curving their surfaces towards the viewer.

They're already doing it with OLED screens because of reasons.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

KinkyJohn posted:

I want one!

If only the 34" had g-sync.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I cheaped out when building my last computer, and am currently using two HP W2371d monitors (23"). I rarely use the second monitor anymore though, maybe only 10% of the time for my few remaining grad projects, so I've been thinking about getting one nicer 27" or 29" monitor instead. Has anyone switched from two smaller to one larger monitor? How traumatic was it (it was really nice having both when I had a use for them)? Any suggestions for an inexpensive, yet quality 27-29" monitor? I'm not doing any color sensitive work, and don't play twitchy FPSs that much anymore.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

IuniusBrutus posted:

I cheaped out when building my last computer, and am currently using two HP W2371d monitors (23"). I rarely use the second monitor anymore though, maybe only 10% of the time for my few remaining grad projects, so I've been thinking about getting one nicer 27" or 29" monitor instead. Has anyone switched from two smaller to one larger monitor? How traumatic was it (it was really nice having both when I had a use for them)? Any suggestions for an inexpensive, yet quality 27-29" monitor? I'm not doing any color sensitive work, and don't play twitchy FPSs that much anymore.

You lose so much desktop realstate I couldn't live with myself. But then it sounds here like you're underutilizing your current setup - are you the kind of person that only uses one maximized window at a time (ie making the browser take up the entire screen)? If so, what are you, 60? Stop doing that and take advantage of the multitasking capabilities of being able to see more things at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

IuniusBrutus posted:

Since I travel, I go back and forth all the time: I have two monitors at home (an aging 24" HP w2408h and the laptop itself); and one on the road (the laptop). I'm used the adjustment, but really find the second monitor helpful. One monitor usually has whatever it is I'm working on; the secondary has communication tools up (Skype, Jabber, Lync, etc.). I'm hoping to splurge on a 3-monitor setup in a year or so so that I can have email, content, and collaboration up on separate monitors.