Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Which version of DQ4 would you guys suggest playing?

iastudent fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

iastudent posted:

DS. I just played through it and it's charming as hell.

fake edit: I still have my NES carts of DW1-4 from my childhood to present for credibility.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

iastudent posted:

DS. The Nes is nigh-unplayable these days.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I've been playing the DS one recently and it's super fun. But count me as one of the wierdos that likes the transcribed accents for each region.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

BabyRyoga posted:

7 on the 3DS is too fresh in my head to remember how the original was. Basic jobs level up like 3 times as fast in the remake, which makes the grinding much more tolerable. Also, it means you can do all your basic jobs first then just do 3 or 4 advanced ones in a row.

Yeah but the way classes work has changed completely.

You don't keep skills between advanced classes anymore, except monster classes, so this forces you to hit monsters classes hard if you want to be anywhere near as powerful as in the original version. It's definitely easier to level up jobs, but if you lose all your Sage spells when you switch to a Superstar (to get the advanced tier next), then what's the point?

I found myself grinding monster hearts so I could get everyone "HealUs" that would actually stick around through class changes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Potsticker posted:

You're going to have to explain this one a bit more, because looking at it, 6 seems to be pretty endemic of the types of things that put me off of DQ until 9.
The short version is:

DQ3's class system was a basic "generics can switch classes at lvl 20, keeping skills/spells but taking a hit to stats. One class gets a special upgrade." (goofoff-->sage without needing the book) There were basic classes and 1 advanced class, sage.

DQ6 took the groundwork of generic classes and added a second layer to it, while letting them detach a bit from your actual level/stats which reduced the grind-back-to-useful factor if nothing else. You could now level classes and unlock advanced ones through different combinations, rather than the unique goof-off to sage setup in DQ3. You now had your core of basic classes, plus several advanced ones. Also the standalone monster class types.

DQ7, being the complex beast it was, added yet another layer to all the classes. You had 3 tiers for the player clases now instead of two, plus the clusterfuck of monster class types, which were still rare and a pain to deal with getting.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Arcaeris posted:

Yeah but the way classes work has changed completely.

You don't keep skills between advanced classes anymore, except monster classes, so this forces you to hit monsters classes hard if you want to be anywhere near as powerful as in the original version. It's definitely easier to level up jobs, but if you lose all your Sage spells when you switch to a Superstar (to get the advanced tier next), then what's the point?

I found myself grinding monster hearts so I could get everyone "HealUs" that would actually stick around through class changes.

The super-advanced classes (Hero, God-hand, Tenchiraimeishi) had you re-learn most of the stuff you learned on the way up once again. You could keep Hustle Dance that way, which was almost as good. The heart grinding was pretty much post-game content.

On an unrelated note, the official guide for DQM2 is out now, and after my assessment of the info inside, I estimate it would take at least 2000+ hours to 'platinum' the game, making it the most ridiculous DQ series game ever (Not sure about X, haven't played it). Some of the more difficult titles include stuff like win 9999 battles, breed 1000 monsters, and scout 1000 monsters. The bullshit impossible ones include stuff like Ranking high in both weekly GP tournaments (there are several for each of these, which is stupid. IE, 1st place, 2nd place, and 8th place), winning 9999 street pass battles, getting 9999 points in the Ranked Wi-fi battles, Upgrading a weapon 1000 times (I have 200 hours played and still double digits only in upgrades), and getting 100 members + 9999 battles in a community you yourself created.

I don't know if anyone will ever 100% this.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Guys, I've hit a wtf moment in Dragon Quest IV and have no idea where to go. I'm about 14 hours in and I have to find my wife, I think. I am at a castle on the south east continent that looks a bit like South America on the map. Someone said to me he thinks the chancellor is dodgy. Someone else asked if I'm going to embark on a quest to find my wife like my father did.

I just have no clue as to where I'm meant to be going...

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

Guys, I've hit a wtf moment in Dragon Quest IV and have no idea where to go. I'm about 14 hours in and I have to find my wife, I think. I am at a castle on the south east continent that looks a bit like South America on the map. Someone said to me he thinks the chancellor is dodgy. Someone else asked if I'm going to embark on a quest to find my wife like my father did.

If you are where I think you are...

If you are in chapter 5 check the spoilers. If not, ignore.

Do you have the magic key? A slime in a village let's you know where it is.

Its in the western cave in a lab.

In order to find the staircase for the lab, you need to search the chest that held the lamp of darkness for a button.

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 24, 2014

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I meant V, not IV! Fool, I am. But thanks for responding.

I finished IV already... Now stuck where I described in Dragon Quest V on DS!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

Have you tried poking around in the chancellor's room?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

BadAstronaut posted:

If I remember right, you check the chancellors room and there some odd item you find in his closet.

When you use the item outside it will warp you to a new location.

I remember being stuck on this part since there's so many stupid knick-knacks that you wouldn't normally pay attention to the item.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Hah - that was the exact thing I needed to do! Thanks guys. I wasted hours roving around the countryside fighting random enemies and searching in vain for somewhere to progress the story. Can finally progress again :)

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Now that I think about it, wife should have been a dead giveaway for V, but an area that looks like south america with a corrupt chancellor made me think of IV's chapter 4 area. :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I thought he was just really confused about who Alena and Cristo were. :shrug:

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Why am I so bad at this decades old JRPG godaamit Aaaaand the tower right after finding those things in the Chancellor's room is a horrible bitch to navigate and not die and grrrrrrrrrrrrrr :argh:

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Cross-posting from the PYF Cute, Adorable, Uplifting megathread:

Cat vs. Liquid Metal Slime

Now I really want a Liquid Metal Slime figurine. :kimchi:

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Now I really want a Liquid Metal Slime figurine. :kimchi:

Must have!

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I've got a Slime, Metal Slime, and Dragonlord (dragon form) toys but nothing like that. I need it.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Crimson Harvest posted:

I've got a Slime, Metal Slime, and Dragonlord (dragon form) toys but nothing like that. I need it.

I know a place in Tokyo...

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
I have this guy. He goes well with the bow-ties I wear to work.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Any chance that Bravely Default's success in the West will encourage a localization for DQVII 3DS? Or am I living in a 90's fantasy land where Square Enix is a good company that doesn't hate fun?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Maybe, BD sold really well in the West and surprised SE. They were expecting Lightning Returns to sell gang busters (it didn't), which BD outsold.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
I'm fairly certain that acidic resentment against the fact that people still like dragon quest games while the final fantasy series is becoming a bad joke plays a large part in why we don't get DQ titles overseas any more.

But we'll get all the Lightning anyone could ever want! :jerkbag:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

We got DQ9 and I don't think we're really losing out by not getting DQ10. Lack of the DQ7 DS remake is annoying though.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

And terry's wonderland, which looks super fun.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Azubah posted:

Maybe, BD sold really well in the West and surprised SE. They were expecting Lightning Returns to sell gang busters (it didn't), which BD outsold.

Square Enix is really dumb and out of touch so they'll probably focus on FFXIII-3 before they even consider making DQ11.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Bigass Moth posted:

Square Enix is really dumb and out of touch so they'll probably focus on FFXIII-3 before they even consider making DQ11.

I think what happened is that- somewhere in the 00s- they saw how much money blockbuster-type action games were making in the West and wanted a piece of the pie. But as it turns out, they weren't good at making pie. There are fifty billion companies out there making those kinds of games, but only a few that are making good old fashioned JRPGs and porting them over and they were the number one company doing that for a while.

Aside from a spotty second half, I loved Bravely Default more than any other game they've churned out in the past six years or so. That's pretty sad, that a simple little turn-based RPG fills me with more excitement than a big-budget AAA game in their flagship, best-selling series. One can only hope they take a message from this.

I guess a good comparison would be if Nintendo suddenly decided to make Mario into the an M-rated Terminator-style FPS shooter hero with blood and guts and immediately dropped everything else that people love about the "Mario" games. I mean yeah, I guess those games sell well, but it isn't what they're known for at all and it'd be pretty lovely.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 5, 2014

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Bigass Moth posted:

Lightning Returns is FFXIII-3, and moreover, LR basically ends the sub-series anyway.

Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy isn't a mutually exclusive choice. S-E develops both.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The fact that people still think there's some sort of Squaresoft vs. Enix internal struggle ten years after they became a single company is kind of funny.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Square Enix may be dumb, but they're not completely dumb. Bravely Default's western success has forced them to confront the possibility that taste is not a function of geography. That doesn't necessarily mean they'll do anything with titles that were released over a year ago, but hope springs eternal.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I'm sure I'm just dumb as poo poo but I'd definitely break my rule against MMOs in a heartbeat to play DQX, even though I know it's a complete ripoff.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Bongo Bill posted:

Square Enix may be dumb, but they're not completely dumb. Bravely Default's western success has forced them to confront the possibility that taste is not a function of geography. That doesn't necessarily mean they'll do anything with titles that were released over a year ago, but hope springs eternal.

They want a Dragon Quest game in English? Okay, we can do that!

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 7, 2014

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

That would be awesome, although I'd love a port on the Vita, or at least have it emulated on the PS3 or PS4.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Vita or 3DS version please. I don't own a smartphone or a HDTV :(

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

It's just the Iphone game. If it was being ported anywhere, it would come out first in Japan and we would already know about it before them starting registering trademarks elsewhere. It's Dragon Quest -- Japan is and will always be the main market for this series.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Dragon Quest 8 mobile in Japan came out in December, so it's the iphone game coming over here I guess.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

I'm unashamedly excited about that.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Who wants to hold an iPhone for 100 hours? I don't understand why someone with sufficient decision making authority thought DQ8 on a mobile device would be a good experience.

DQ8 should have gotten an HD remake on a console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

It's just the Iphone game. If it was being ported anywhere, it would come out first in Japan and we would already know about it before them starting registering trademarks elsewhere. It's Dragon Quest -- Japan is and will always be the main market for this series.

Does "United States Patent and Trademark Office" mean anything to you?