Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Is there a 'best' Fiesta ST board? I am use to cars having a single definitive message board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

LtDansMagkLegs posted:

Crosspost from the 500 thread but I bought the Bizarro version of Kill-9's

Very close. You need to get white mirrors and we'll be inverted Abarth buddies.

Kill-9 fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 2, 2014

Dakotaboy88
Apr 28, 2007

I prefer a 3 door because I can look out the side windows without out a huge B-pillar being in the way, and it's easier to get in and out. The only thing that ever ends up on my back seats is occasional cargo, so I don't really need the extra doors. If Ford offers a 3 door Focus ST or RS in the US, I'd seriously consider trading in my 2013 Focus ST.

Dakotaboy88
Apr 28, 2007

Folderol posted:

Folks with Focus STs, how's the reliability of your car so far. The ST is one of a few cars I'm looking at, but I've heard there may be issues, and if there are still significant bugs to be worked out, I may wait or go in another direction.

Mine runs great, but the rattles in the headliner around the sunroof drive me crazy. I stuff a glove between the liner and the roof until it warms up enough to properly fix it, and this has mostly shut up the rattles. Recently the dash has also started rattling a little on the left side of the My Ford Tough display panel. A little push on the plastic surround shuts it up for awhile.

The other minor thing that bugs me is the lack of playlist support for playing MP3s on the stereo. It just plays in alphabetical order, regardless of original album track listing. This makes playing stuff like Pink Floyd, which really needs to stay in order, a real pain in the rear end. I suppose I could rename every song on my phone or USB drive with a sequential number at the beginning to designate when it should play, but that seems like a lot of work to workaround a crappy interface. Aside from that though, the upgraded Sony audio sounds pretty nice, and has a little bump.

Currently around 17k miles, and love the car enough to not be too bothered with the annoyances.

Dakotaboy88 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 2, 2014

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Dakotaboy88 posted:

Mine runs great, but the rattles in the headliner around the sunroof drive me crazy. I stuff a glove between the liner and the roof until it warms up enough to properly fix it, and this has mostly shut up the rattles. Recently the dash has also started rattling a little on the left side of the My Ford Tough display panel. A little push on the plastic surround shuts it up for awhile.

I've been getting this too in my instrument cluster, a push usually solves it as well. It's happened only the past few months as its gotten bitterly cold here in Illinois, in the summer it's quiet, I'm assuming its from the plastics shrinking a bit. When I'm bringing it into service for the handle sensors I'm going to point this out big time that it is driving me nuts and would like it to be addressed ASAP.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Dakotaboy88 posted:

I prefer a 3 door because I can look out the side windows without out a huge B-pillar being in the way, and it's easier to get in and out. The only thing that ever ends up on my back seats is occasional cargo, so I don't really need the extra doors. If Ford offers a 3 door Focus ST or RS in the US, I'd seriously consider trading in my 2013 Focus ST.

Ford has not made a 3 door Focus for the current model.

LtDansMagkLegs
Jul 23, 2013

Kill-9 posted:

Very close. You need to get white mirrors and we'll be inverted Abarth buddies.

It's funny because my window sticker actually lists the white mirrors as an installed option on the car, they are supposed to be included to match the stripe package. Someone working at the dealership must have swapped them out at one point. They offered to swap them back to the correct ones but I didn't mind, I kinda like the look of the black ones with the tinted windows. Only thing I wish were that the Abarth's came with the smoked headlights/signals from the 500T. They look so much better especially on the darker colored cars IMO.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

LtDansMagkLegs posted:

It's funny because my window sticker actually lists the white mirrors as an installed option on the car, they are supposed to be included to match the stripe package. Someone working at the dealership must have swapped them out at one point.

That happens when someone says 'I'll buy that car and drive it away today but only if it has white mirrors'. Cue a mechanic frantically stealing and swapping mirror caps. I think the black looks good, personally. I think white mirrors up there might look unbalanced.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Finally got my :rice: wheels mounted:

Hard to tell there but the barrel/inside face is painted blue. Hey it matches my interior accent color :colbert:, and other set of mirrors which I've been working on repainting a better blue. The black on the ones here is actually chalkboard paint, I wanted to maybe draw stuff or do other random colors but couldn't commit to anything. Unfortunately I couldn't find appropriate chalk in stores the other day (just sidewalk chalk which apparently fucks it up) so now I'm just waiting for the mail.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Nice ones! I honestly think white spoked rims are the best, those will most likely be on my ST sometime in the future.

taketheshot
Sep 18, 2002
I bought a Focus ST back in January 2013 and I got a letter today from Ford offering a free trackday "ST Octane Academy" out at Miller Motorsports Park. I went ahead and signed up for a session in May. Anyone else attending or has attended this thing?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ringo Star Get posted:

Nice ones! I honestly think white spoked rims are the best, those will most likely be on my ST sometime in the future.
Thanks, it's been something I've been wanting to do for years but finally got it done. I put opticoat on them so hopefully they won't be a nightmare to clean later.

White chalk came in, a few seconds later :haw:

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

taketheshot posted:

I bought a Focus ST back in January 2013 and I got a letter today from Ford offering a free trackday "ST Octane Academy" out at Miller Motorsports Park. I went ahead and signed up for a session in May. Anyone else attending or has attended this thing?

I'm going in early April. Pretty excited

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Laranzu posted:

I'm going in early April. Pretty excited

October for me. Yeah. This is a once in a lifetime thing for me. Pretty stoked.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I saw that advertised as a benefit of buying an ST. Too bad I'm in Ohio! You would have thought they would have secured a couple tracks throughout the US to really take advantage of this

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Yeah I got the same thing, not happy it's in Utah, there's a nice raceway out here in Illinois. Oh well.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Utah is JUST barely close enough for me to go to for something like that, but I didn't get an invitation :(

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Dakotaboy88 posted:

The other minor thing that bugs me is the lack of playlist support for playing MP3s on the stereo. It just plays in alphabetical order, regardless of original album track listing. This makes playing stuff like Pink Floyd, which really needs to stay in order, a real pain in the rear end. I suppose I could rename every song on my phone or USB drive with a sequential number at the beginning to designate when it should play, but that seems like a lot of work to workaround a crappy interface. Aside from that though, the upgraded Sony audio sounds pretty nice, and has a little bump.

Sync supports play list files that you can create with WMP and other programs.

The sync Ipod interface also works pretty well and will resolve this issue. I have my 7 year old nano velcroed behind my glove box. The fiesta only has 1 usb port but the sync system has two. If you reach around the back of the unit you can plug a mini usb adapter into it, and access it by saying "usb 2". Got my tunes, no wires to worry about and nothing sitting in my car for anyone to steal.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Atmus posted:

Utah is JUST barely close enough for me to go to for something like that, but I didn't get an invitation :(

You don't need an invite, I believe if you bought a '14 ST you are entitled to it.

http://www.stoctaneacademy.com/

e; Yep

ST academy FAQ posted:

Who is eligible to attend?
Anyone who purchased and took delivery of a 2013 or 2014 model year Ford Focus ST or Ford Fiesta ST prior to April 1, 2014 will have one year from the date of the first available class in 2014 to register and attend an ST Octane Academy program. Anyone purchasing and taking delivery of a 2013 or 2014 model year Ford Focus St or Ford Fiesta ST after April 1, 2014 will have one calendar year from your delivery date to register and attend an ST Octane Academy program

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Even though I'm already signed up, they sent the invite anyway. With a little Ford Racing pamphlet.

M-FR1-FST is the Tune/Plugs/CAI/Catback for like $1500 bux. Quite a deal. Keeps the warranty if you let the dealer install it and gently caress you with labor charges.

12345random
Mar 24, 2013

Laranzu posted:

Even though I'm already signed up, they sent the invite anyway. With a little Ford Racing pamphlet.

M-FR1-FST is the Tune/Plugs/CAI/Catback for like $1500 bux. Quite a deal. Keeps the warranty if you let the dealer install it and gently caress you with labor charges.

It can be had even cheaper through a few websites. The plugs are unnecessary per some knowledgeable individuals though.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Laranzu posted:

Does that mean it keeps the engine/drivetrain warranty intact, or just that the parts package is covered by warranty? I can't find anything definitive either way.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

This is the most definitive thing I've found online.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-maintenance/18533-official-ford-racing-warranty-thread.html

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

In case anyone missed my hot hatch woe's in other threads, here I am, bitching about the new car again.

This is not how I wanted to spend a saturday:

This was supposed to be the reliable daily driver :argh:, the whole point of taking the initial depreciation hit on a brand new car was to take advantage of the low financing and have a trouble free car :suicide:

Quick summary of the events that have occured:

We purchased a brand new Veloster and took deliver on Friday afternoon Feb. 21.
Dropped it off at the dealer on Wednesday morning Feb. 26, for the no-start issue, was given a base Elentra as a courtesy car (200km on ODO for the Elentra)
Picked up Veloster on Friday afternoon Feb. 28, gave in the Elantra with ~400km on the ODO. Total driven in Elentra: ~200km
Towed (via roadside assistance) Veloster to dealer on Saturday morning Mar. 1, after another no-start. Picked up another Elantra, this time with ~190km on ODO.
Almost picked up Veloster yesterday Mar. 6, but it faulted right before pickup so left for another day at the dealer.
Picked up Veloster today, Mar. 7. Final ODO in this Elantra: 1043km
They replaced the starter and starter relay under warranty.

Total driven with Veloster: ~500km
Total days with Veloster: 5

Total driven with Elantras: ~1050km
Total days with Elantras: 10

I have owned an Elantra for twice as long as the Veloster we've bought.

During this process we discussed with the dealer some form of compensation for the trouble and inconvenience that was caused by our brand new car not starting (missing work, not being to plan our day, etc) and we've come to an agreement that they're installing the Hyundai Performance Axle-back Exhausttm (Really overpriced fancy muffler, dealer would normally charge $650 +tax +installation) free of charge and to my understanding we're also getting a $100 gift card to a restaurant of our choice.

Crossing my fingers that we'll have a trouble free experience from here on out. knock on wood.
If there are any more issues like the above, we'll push for them to replace this one with another Veloster or for an outright return. With Canada's lack of proper Lemon laws I'd rather have a longer history of trouble before I commit to dealing with the hassle of getting the dealer to take this car back. So far the ownership experience has been ...rough.

Only picture from Hyundai's website:

"Add a deeper exhaust tone to your Hyundai with this high flow axle-back exhaust system. Designed as a bolt on application which requires no cutting, this exhaust system will look and sound great for years to come." From the one person who I found online that actually bought this exhaust, he says it reminds him of the STI rumble :rolleyes:, I guess I'll see when it comes in.

And here, have another picture of the non-starting lemon from when we picked it up, contrast set all the way to 11:smuggo:

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Wish something would go wrong with my ST to get a sweet axle-back exhaust system! Glad to see they helped you out.

12345random
Mar 24, 2013
I just got back from the shop with my Focus ST.

I had the stock resonator and muffler removed and replaced with a Flowmaster DBX and Flowmaster 4" tips. I've also got a COBB air filter, and a Boomba Racing BOV.

The video makes it sound a bit higher in tone then it really is. It doesn't drone, and is nice and quiet until 3K rpm+. For $300 all-in (all parts) it was a great purchase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoQuWx9pFRA

PS: Bajaha, I hope things work out!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

1791apparel posted:

I had the stock resonator and muffler removed and replaced with a Flowmaster DBX and Flowmaster 4" tips. I've also got a COBB air filter, and a Boomba Racing BOV.

The video makes it sound a bit higher in tone then it really is. It doesn't drone, and is nice and quiet until 3K rpm+. For $300 all-in (all parts) it was a great purchase.

I got rid of stock muffler and resonator and put an MRT one on, similar price I think with similar sound. That filter/BOV sound pretty neat too.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

1791apparel posted:

Won't switching from a BPV to BOV throw all kinds of things off? What is the benefit of switching (besides sound, I guess)?

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 11, 2014

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Ringo Star Get posted:

Wish something would go wrong with my ST to get a sweet axle-back exhaust system! Glad to see they helped you out.

Haha, it's nice I'm getting some compensation for the hassle, but it probably would have been nicer if I didn't have any issues. Was looking at Focus ST's but it was out of our budget and the Fiesta ST was pushing it too, plus there weren't any on dealer lots when we were looking so we would have had to order one.

1791apparel posted:

That sounds nice! The blow off valve sounds cool, are the ST's ok with a BOV vs. a BPV? Guessing they're MAP based metering? I'm used to Subaru's where a BPV can make it run like crap between shifts.

And I hope everything works out too, so far it's been starting reliably and no other issues have come up so fingers crossed.

12345random
Mar 24, 2013
Thanks!

You both asked the same question :)

Nope no issues switching to a BOV from a BPV. You're correct, it's MAP.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007
Anyone gotten the Ford Racing cat back yet? I really want to do their FR1 package, but I still haven't found a decent video of how it sounds.

For anyone who hasn't seen it:
http://fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=24026

It's not cheap, but keeping the full warranty is worth it to me. (Also 350+ lb-ft sounds awesome)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Buying a 2006 Audi A3. Can't loving wait till it's ready. Two more days. Makes my 21 year old BMW feel like a box truck.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Congrats! I've always loved the body on those, what colour did you end up buying?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Its a black A3 with the sport package. Service records and all the things you want out of an Audi of any age. Car friends keep chanting STAGE 1 BRO but I think I'm going to keep it stock for a while and just enjoy it. Its an amazingly balanced and fun car. I can't help but smile at how power band on the engine. All the power at ~2000 rpm and a six speed so you can just keep rowing. They really did a turbo well in this.

8ender fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 11, 2014

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Poisonlizard posted:

Anyone gotten the Ford Racing cat back yet? I really want to do their FR1 package, but I still haven't found a decent video of how it sounds.

For anyone who hasn't seen it:
http://fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=24026

It's not cheap, but keeping the full warranty is worth it to me. (Also 350+ lb-ft sounds awesome)

I'm interested in it, but I want to see what it does with 91 octane since that's as high as it goes here. I also wonder what the deal is with the exhaust tips and if it's possible to leave the old one on. I assume not since there isn't anything straight between them and the muffler, but for all I know the weird looking tip that's on there now is just a cover and my question is just stupid.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

8ender posted:

Its a black A3 with the sport package.

Post lots of pics when you get it, Audi does the best sport packs, they really know how to do subtle changes to improve the looks. Keeping it stock is probably best for now, once you're down the modification rabbit hole it just keeps getting deeper. If you're happy with the stock power then enjoy it till you start wanting more, no need to jump the gun and start throwing mods on it.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Welp, down the rabbit hole I go. I ordered a Cobb AP & a drop in air filter (package deal) shipped for $490. Hopefully it gets here next week.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Dr.Caligari posted:

Welp, down the rabbit hole I go. I ordered a Cobb AP & a drop in air filter (package deal) shipped for $490. Hopefully it gets here next week.

I'll be watching your updates closely. I loved the Cobb AP on my STI and might want to get one for my Fiesta too.

In other news, the Fiesta does just fine carrying around car parts.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

japtor posted:

Finally got my :rice: wheels mounted:

Hard to tell there but the barrel/inside face is painted blue. Hey it matches my interior accent color :colbert:, and other set of mirrors which I've been working on repainting a better blue. The black on the ones here is actually chalkboard paint, I wanted to maybe draw stuff or do other random colors but couldn't commit to anything. Unfortunately I couldn't find appropriate chalk in stores the other day (just sidewalk chalk which apparently fucks it up) so now I'm just waiting for the mail.

S'up Cooper S bro?

You can't really see it in the above pic, but what I really love about my car is the interior.

As I'm far too poor and inexperienced to have a new one, I got this one used about 5 weeks ago. Its a 2007 petrol model in exceptional condition, 1.6l turbocharged engine which I believe delivers 181hp and can do 0-60mph in about 7 seconds. Unfortunately while the car might be capable of going that quickly, I am not. All that is left to do really is add some bonnet stripes and a checkered flag roof in time for the London to Brighton Mini rally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Atmus posted:

I'm interested in it, but I want to see what it does with 91 octane since that's as high as it goes here. I also wonder what the deal is with the exhaust tips and if it's possible to leave the old one on. I assume not since there isn't anything straight between them and the muffler, but for all I know the weird looking tip that's on there now is just a cover and my question is just stupid.

Those are the exact two things (other than the cash) holding me back too. I really like the looks of the stock tips.