Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Mister Speaker posted:

Surprised I haven't seen talk of this yet: Reloop Tape USB Mixtape Recorder

Thoughts? I think it's a pretty cool little invention for those of us who tend to avoid a laptop - if you've got one, though, it's kind of redundant. I'm also wondering how good the phono preamp is...

See my last post in this thread - I was looking for something similar recently and grabbed the Zoom H1 which works great. It's about 30 dollars cheaper than this and has the ability to record wav files at different qualities, so while it doesn't look as cool it has more functionality, in addition to built in mics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

cname posted:

For $200 extra, the DDJ-SX does so much more.

-Dual deck function which allows you to control both decks on the same platter, at once.
-Needle search
-8 Button pad with hot cue, roll, slicer and sampler.
-Master Cue

That's just the important stuff off the top of my head.

As far as I know, once you go Traktor, you're stuck with Traktor. Serato supports multiple brands. On the flip side, I don't think Serato has anything for iPad, but I'm not sure how important that is, to you.

I'm not sure how used to the S4 you are, or how much you prefer the layout, but to me, the extra $200 for a DDJ-SX goes an extremely long way.

The S4 does indeed have master cue. Anyway, the DDJ-SX does look sick. I'm not locked into Traktor by any means, I just thought it would be cool to use the iPad app for true 4-deck control since I already own it. I'm gonna see if I can find an SX locally to play around with.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Surprised I haven't seen talk of this yet: Reloop Tape USB Mixtape Recorder

Thoughts? I think it's a pretty cool little invention for those of us who tend to avoid a laptop - if you've got one, though, it's kind of redundant. I'm also wondering how good the phono preamp is...

I couldnt possibly imagine a fake cassette recorder that only records mp3 through an 1/8th inch input would be worth buying.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Yeah why record straight to mp3? If you want to normalize/compress you have to convert it to wav anyway, what a pain in the rear end. Nowadays 16 gig flash drives can be found for $5 - that's like 20 hours of 16-bit wav, no dj is going to need more than that. It's like a device out of the 00's where storage actually cost money.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

xpander posted:

The S4 does indeed have master cue. Anyway, the DDJ-SX does look sick. I'm not locked into Traktor by any means, I just thought it would be cool to use the iPad app for true 4-deck control since I already own it. I'm gonna see if I can find an SX locally to play around with.

Didn't know it had a master cue. I thought you had to adjust each deck manually, or something. Good to know.

I'd probably have gotten an S4 over an SX if I could find a gently used S4 for $400 - $600 but like I said, $800 for a new one seems relatively pointless.

I feel as though everyone on Craigslist is looking to sell whatever they have for an SX, so you might be able to get a killer deal on an S4 especially if you have some time to hustle.

In my experience, DJ gear is the easiest stuff to haggle down. Everyone and their mother is a DJ, so when it comes time to pay the rent in a tough economy, the DJ gear is first to be sold.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
I wish there was something like the DDJ-SX (which looks amazing, even as a Traktor user) or S4, but without enormous platters taking up about a third of the control surface area.

The DDJ-SX at least has those neat circular lights in the platters to let you know a deck is running, but in the end, I just need a touchstrip for nudge, I don't do scratching. (I am very proud of my ability to beatmatch by ear more than half the time now, though!)

I want to be able to control four decks; really I want three track decks and a remix deck. I use the crossfader and the channel faders, though, so that four-deck "pick which side of the crossfader you want each deck to be on" interface would be great.

It doesn't seem like anything will easily give me this setup without going super modular, though. I want to replace my S2 already because the cue buttons on it are losing most of their sensitivity and it really destroys my flow to be pressing buttons and go "ok, and now I want to cue... *press harder* wtf!!!" every couple minutes.

Now that I know what the hell I'm doing, there are too many options. It was easier when I didn't have specific needs from my gear and could just grab the entry-level all in one.

Oh, and of course my S2 fits perfectly in my current gig bag so anything larger necessitates a new one of those too. :sigh:

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
What's the go-to mixer that isn't a Rane 62 or DJM-900 or Z2 for those who play open format stuff? I need to start figuring out what mixer to buy because my Mackie D.2 sucks. I would go for the 62 since I'm a Serato guy but it's a lot of money for a two channel mixer.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

keevo posted:

What's the go-to mixer that isn't a Rane 62 or DJM-900 or Z2 for those who play open format stuff? I need to start figuring out what mixer to buy because my Mackie D.2 sucks. I would go for the 62 since I'm a Serato guy but it's a lot of money for a two channel mixer.

My DJM T1 was the poo poo. Until it broke.

So who knows. The z2 doesnt seem very quality to me. The t1 feels super amazing and great, but ill be damned the left side went out.

They only cost $600 so theres that too.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Dessert Rose posted:

I wish there was something like the DDJ-SX (which looks amazing, even as a Traktor user) or S4, but without enormous platters taking up about a third of the control surface area.

The DDJ-SX at least has those neat circular lights in the platters to let you know a deck is running, but in the end, I just need a touchstrip for nudge, I don't do scratching. (I am very proud of my ability to beatmatch by ear more than half the time now, though!)

I came to an SX from a set of CDJ350s and the larger, much higher quality jogwheels are the best thing about the SX... They're the smoothest jogs I've ever touched and a friend of mine who has a set of CDJ2000s remarked at how nice they felt. Bigger platters = more control which is why the ones on the 2000 are loving enormous.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Dessert Rose posted:

Do you beatmatch without setting hot cue buttons? If you do use hot cue buttons, can you actually time it perfectly, %100 of the time to cue right before the beat? If so, that's impressive.

If not, some sort of wheel is required (or else you're gonna be clicking around) for those times you need to stop the track to find the perfect spot to set the cue. I dunno, I'm spoiled by new DJ technology, so I have to stop the platter and inch around, pixel by pixel to find the perfect place to set the cue.

Can't say I blame you though, I kinda liked the tiny little jog wheels on my really old CD controllers.

One thing that does really annoy me is how all controller platters are raised. They're always an inch taller than the case and I have to lean over them when loving with the knobs/buttons on top. I've accidentally tapped the platters and thrown off the beats, on multiple occasions.

cname fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 11, 2014

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

cname posted:

Do you beatmatch without setting hot cue buttons? If you do use hot cue buttons, can you actually time it perfectly, %100 of the time to cue right before the beat? If so, that's impressive.
Note that I sync button DJ 95% of the time; I don't have the mental space to do that and everything else. I only manually beatmatch when I'm taking over from someone else.

I usually hit cue on the downbeat, tap out the rhythm (counting in, basically - 1, 2, 3, 4) and hold on the downbeat to see how close I am. If I'm pretty close I'll drop a loop and start nudging.

I never try to do this with a song I haven't marked as adequately beatgridded; that's just a recipe for awful.

quote:

If not, some sort of wheel is required (or else you're gonna be clicking around) for those times you need to stop the track to find the perfect spot to set the cue.

You don't actually need a wheel. The X1 MK2 has a touchstrip that allows for nudge in a fraction of the real estate of a wheel. I can't imagine it's great if you're trying to keep things synchronized constantly, but like I said, I rely on sync to keep things together most of the time.

quote:

I dunno, I'm spoiled by new DJ technology, so I have to stop the platter and inch around, pixel by pixel to find the perfect place to set the cue.

Can't say I blame you though, I kinda liked the tiny little jog wheels on my really old CD controllers.
See, that's where I'm even more spoiled, because I barely ever touch the things. I could do just fine with needle search and a nudge touchstrip.

I have loop transport controls that take me 8/16/32 beats into the future with a twist of an encoder; to me that's much more precise than jogwheels which take me off the grid.

quote:

One thing that does really annoy me is how all controller platters are raised. They're always an inch taller than the case and I have to lean over them when loving with the knobs/buttons on top. I've accidentally tapped the platters and thrown off the beats, on multiple occasions.

Never done that, but my sleeves often nudge them, or sometimes if the bass is really loud they'll drift. Another reason to go solid state.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
The first DJ controller I bought was a Novation Twitch. It had a lot of features and a bunch of trigger pads which I wanted in a controller. I also didn't see the necessity of the jog wheels and figured the touchstrip control would do whatever I needed it to do. All these DJs with their controllers just use sync anyway, right?

Wrong! I ended up really hating the Twitch because of how sensitive and inexact the touchstrip felt to me. I could never get things exactly right when beat matching or I'd otherwise get thrown wildly off beat by an errant grazing of the control. Desert Rose is technically right, you don't *need* a jog wheel to mix 2 tracks, but you're sure as hell going to want a jog wheel once you realize just what mixing is all about. Being able to have precise control over the position of your track is essential once you take the sync training-wheels off your sets.

Hell, even when synced I'll very often notice something being off beat and want to nudge it the slightest bit. For a beginner I would really recommend something typical like a standard 2 platter controller. Just my 2 cents.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Set cue point. Mash cue button, press play, adjust jog wheel... I'm well aware I have it easier than any vinyl DJ and for that they have my utmost respect but starting with sync seems a little backwards to me. To be fair though I did start out beatmatching by using the tempo fader...

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
/\ Your doing it right. "Natural" beat matching is exactly as nebulous as it seems. It's honestly more hunting around and listening than it is actually timing the beats to match. Just try it, get a perfect match once, celebrate then realize how it's fairly impractical in today's music industry.

gently caress all that vinyl, no-synch button, go big or go home bullshit. Yea, I respect a DJ who doesn't need the sync button and/or spins vinyl. Yea, it's annoying that top 40s DJs are getting paid tons of money and depend on the sync button.

The grim reality is there's too much music and people want a massive variety of songs. Times were more simple, before the sync button. You actually had to buy your music. :aaa: People didn't expect you to have everything. You could get away with having a 200 track library, a 50 song set list and a 20 song list of top-of-the-top hits. You could literally memorize your entire set and play entire songs.

I dunno about others here, but the people who book me wanna hear every hit since 1990 plus some poo poo they've never heard before, in a 3.5 hour span. I can't remember the last time I actually played a song from beginning to end, aside from when the event first starts, nobody is dancing and everyone is too sober to act enthusiastic.

When everyone is on the dance floor and there's energy, I really can't play more than two and a half minutes of a song. I wish it was possible, but people really do have that short of an attention span, when it comes to music.

That being said, sure, I could master a 50 song set. I could learn the BPM to every track. I could memorize every beat change/drop in the song and when to fade in/transition. I could practice real DJ skillz and be considered a good DJ by other DJ and internet standards. Fact is, I don't work for other DJs and/or the internet, so gently caress all that. I know how to beat match without the sync button. I have that ability, I just rarely get to use it, because nobody gives a poo poo about my talent. They didn't come to hear Cname, they came to hear some Lady Gaga, Kanye West, Avicii, Skrillex, Ke$ha, etc.

I guarantee if I did a "critic-approved" set, the critics would be the only ones satisfied. The "customers" would probably be looking for another club/party/etc.

If you are an elitest, no sync, beatmatcher, all the more power to you. I have a full time job (that isn't DJing) and 2 terabytes of music.

cname fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 12, 2014

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

cname posted:

2 terabytes of music.

Is this the DJ equivalent of an e-penis?

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Alfajor posted:

Is this the DJ equivalent of an e-penis?

I said "2 terabytes of music" not "2 terabytes of good music."

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

quote:

I know how to beat match without the sync button. I have that ability, I just rarely get to use it, because nobody gives a poo poo about my talent
Sorry but something that takes an hour to learn isn't "talent". Not trying to nitpick your post because you have a lot of good points.

I'm kinda surprised we're getting into this whole sync button thing again. Yes, new people should learn how to do it manually (really, it takes an hour to learn, two if you're musically :downs:). No, there is no reason to do it on the regular. It's 2014 now, folks.

The real skill and talent in DJing does not come from beatmatching. Not even close, it's not even on the radar. That said, if you don't learn it, you're setting yourself up to fail, which WILL happen.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

cname posted:

I said "2 terabytes of music" not "2 terabytes of good music."

:golfclap:

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

I don't know about you, but my DJ library contains a maximum of 500 songs at any given point in time, and I am intimately familiar with them all at least enough to compose a 50-song set on the fly, without "memorizing an entire set" (I really don't even come up with a set list most of the time now) and without having single songs in for more than 60 seconds.

But that's me. I really enjoy doing all the stuff that causes me to be considered a "good DJ by internet standards". (Except manual beatmatching and vinyl because gently caress those people.) I really like playing music in a way that people don't expect; I really like mashing things together in interesting ways and just kind of running with it.

I figure, if they wanted to hear a bunch of songs played in sequence with nothing added, they'd just listen to their music collection at home. And if someone asks me for a specific song, that's kind of my attitude. If you want to hear a specific song, go buy it off iTunes.

I don't understand how this

quote:

I have a full time job (that isn't DJing)

translates to

quote:

I have that ability, I just rarely get to use it, because nobody gives a poo poo about my talent. They didn't come to hear Cname, they came to hear some Lady Gaga, Kanye West, Avicii, Skrillex, Ke$ha, etc.

You don't need the job, so why are you doing it that way? Is it fun for you to play that way?

I recently lost a residency in part because I wouldn't kowtow to the promoter's insistence that I play the music he wanted to be played there - despite the fact that the crowd loved what I was doing. Because I don't need the job. I'm there because it's fun, and if you're going to tell me to do something that isn't fun for me, I'm not going to drag myself down to your club at 3:30am on a Saturday night to play sleepytime crap that no one, including me, is enjoying.

I mean, if you want to make DJing a career, I can understand this attitude. But why limit yourself this way when you don't need the money?...

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I'm having an existential mixing crisis. Do a lot of you find you start mixing in a new track from 0:00 or do you drop it in at a different point where the track has already progressed? I do a little of each but I'm finding more and more I'm doing the former (bringing in a track from the very beginning). It mixes in well due to the intro drums and whatever else but I feel like I should be pushing my boundaries more.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

tehschulman posted:

I'm having an existential mixing crisis. Do a lot of you find you start mixing in a new track from 0:00 or do you drop it in at a different point where the track has already progressed? I do a little of each but I'm finding more and more I'm doing the former (bringing in a track from the very beginning). It mixes in well due to the intro drums and whatever else but I feel like I should be pushing my boundaries more.

Start your mixes earlier (e.g. bring the track in earlier over the previous track). This is where you can make things interesting, playing with the more sparse elements early in the new track (drums, vocal hooks, melodies, etc) while the previous track is still going strong

Setting loops helps immensely with this

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's
I have a Macbook, and I'm looking at picking up a NuMark Mixtrack Pro as my first controller. I've been told it's a good and relatively inexpensive place to start. I'm most likely just going to be playing for myself in my bedroom, if it goes beyond that it would be fun, but I don't know how many folks in my town want to listen to my house music. Any opinions on the NuMark Mixtrack Pro? I don't see it in the OP, but I see a few mentions of it throughout the thread. What about the NuMark Mixtrack pro 2? I'm having a hard time discerning reviews on equipment because, well, I have no idea about anything beyond that I will be playing high quality MP3s out of my lovely laptop speakers and pretending I'm good at something.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

OniKun posted:

I have a Macbook, and I'm looking at picking up a NuMark Mixtrack Pro as my first controller. I've been told it's a good and relatively inexpensive place to start. I'm most likely just going to be playing for myself in my bedroom, if it goes beyond that it would be fun, but I don't know how many folks in my town want to listen to my house music. Any opinions on the NuMark Mixtrack Pro? I don't see it in the OP, but I see a few mentions of it throughout the thread. What about the NuMark Mixtrack pro 2? I'm having a hard time discerning reviews on equipment because, well, I have no idea about anything beyond that I will be playing high quality MP3s out of my lovely laptop speakers and pretending I'm good at something.

Get the DDJ-SB if you can, the numark mixtracks I've played with are plastic pieces of poo poo with bad features. That said if its all that is in your price range it is better than nothing.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
I found a mixtrack Pro for $100 2 years ago on Craigslist, and that's how I got into all this. It's decent for starting up, and the v2 is a bit better even, so I'd say if you find a good deal, go for it.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Dessert Rose posted:

You don't need the job, so why are you doing it that way? Is it fun for you to play that way?

I recently lost a residency in part because I wouldn't kowtow to the promoter's insistence that I play the music he wanted to be played there - despite the fact that the crowd loved what I was doing. Because I don't need the job. I'm there because it's fun, and if you're going to tell me to do something that isn't fun for me, I'm not going to drag myself down to your club at 3:30am on a Saturday night to play sleepytime crap that no one, including me, is enjoying.

I mean, if you want to make DJing a career, I can understand this attitude. But why limit yourself this way when you don't need the money?...

Yea, I make it fun for myself. Every 2013-14 top 40s song gets followed up with a hit from the last two or three decades. I have a pre-recorded track which plays "Love More" by Chris Brown ft. Nikki Minaj. Right after Nikki Minaj says "He don't know me, but he settin' up to blow me, uh!" it abruptly cuts to "Only You" by Biggie/Puff when Biggie goes "She don't know but she settin up to blow me, yes!" every now and then I'll get one or two people who's eyes light up with an "Ahh HAH!" moment. "Only you" will go into something like "Love More" by Chris Brown, which gets an "I'll dance to it, but I won't really like it." reaction. "Love more" goes into "Gotta man" by EVE, which gets a huge, positive reaction.

I enjoy making progressions like that...

Typical top 40 > old school song that has some recognition > another typical top 40 > aged hit that everyone forgot about but totally remembers, now that they hear it.

I've had pretty good success in sandwiching together the latest top 40s in with throwbacks and throwback hits. Basically, I want the money and I aim to please. I'm getting close to having my DDJ-SX pay for itself. I take pride when people approach me after the set and ask me to DJ whatever they have coming up, in the future.

tehschulman posted:

I've never cued at (literally) 0:00

House music/~120BPM dance music, I'll typically set a hot cue at the start of a basic beat, in the beginning of the song.
Rap/trap/bass/dubstep I'll hunt around the song and find a beat, sound effect, drop or other fun spot to cue up.

OniKun posted:

Just don't spend $250 (retail price) on a Mixtrack Pro 2. The two posts above me are spot on. A $100 MixTrack Pro off craigslist is logical. A $250 DDJ-SB is also logical. A $250 Mixtrack Pro 2 isn't worth it, IMO. If you can find a Mixtrack Pro 2 between $100-$200 it would probably be worth the bargain. Otherwise haggle more/find a better bargain.

cname fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 13, 2014

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I've just picked up Pitch 'n Time for Serato DJ. Farkin' 'ell it's good! I dunno how it does it but man you can whack the tempo adjuster to some silly degrees and have the track still sound great, I've got a Barry White track (I'm gonna love you just a little more) playing and it's 25% slower and it's holding together really nicely which is.......... insane.

Anyone else picked it up?

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

88h88 posted:

I've just picked up Pitch 'n Time for Serato DJ. Farkin' 'ell it's good! I dunno how it does it but man you can whack the tempo adjuster to some silly degrees and have the track still sound great, I've got a Barry White track (I'm gonna love you just a little more) playing and it's 25% slower and it's holding together really nicely which is.......... insane.

Anyone else picked it up?

Nope but I probably will now that I can pretend to be shlohmo on the fly

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing what tracks I can now ram into others with gay abandon. :dance:

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

88h88 posted:

I've just picked up Pitch 'n Time for Serato DJ.

How does registration work for Serato and other various plugins such as Pitch 'n Time? There's a button that says "Authorize 30 day trial license." If you've registered Serato, does it detect the registration key and just not prompt you to upgrade? or will I have to pay for it?

cname fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 14, 2014

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

cname posted:

How does registration work for Serato and other various plugins such as Pitch 'n Time? There's a button that says "Authorize 30 day trial license." If you've registered Serato, does it detect the registration key and just not prompt you to upgrade? or will I have to pay for it?

It's $29. The $800 version is for Pro Tools and has a billion options, this is basically just a plug-in for Serato DJ that does some sort of magic to your files which enables you to get silly with the tempo adjustment.

http://serato.com/dj/expansion-packs/pitchntime-dj

I got my version of Serato DJ with my DDJ SX, it auto-registered when I plugged in the controller so I'm not sure what the deal is if you haven't authorized it via payment or controller. I paid for the plug-in and it auto-enabled itself within seconds.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 14, 2014

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

88h88 posted:

It's $29. The $800 version is for Pro Tools and has a billion options, this is basically just a plug-in for Serato DJ that does some sort of magic to your files which enables you to get silly with the tempo adjustment.

http://serato.com/dj/expansion-packs/pitchntime-dj

I got my version of Serato DJ with my DDJ SX, it auto-registered when I plugged in the controller so I'm not sure what the deal is if you haven't authorized it via payment or controller. I paid for the plug-in and it auto-enabled itself within seconds.

Reading up on Pitch n Time, I can't in good conscience buy into the Traktor ecosystem. Is NI's timestretching anywhere near Serato's?

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

xpander posted:

Reading up on Pitch n Time, I can't in good conscience buy into the Traktor ecosystem. Is NI's timestretching anywhere near Serato's?

It's good, but as a Traktor user Pitch 'n Time makes me jealous. I know a DJ in this area that uses Serato, he played a set where he frequently bent things down more than 50%, with vocals, and they sounded great. I don't think I ever try to bend past 20% in Traktor.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I'm having an issue with Traktor iOS and haven't gotten any kind of reply on their support forums.

There are two specific tracks I purchased on the iTunes Store that simply stop mid-song. You can't manually scroll past the part where the tracks stop either. Both tracks play fine in Music.app, and the behavior persists even when I delete the songs and re-download them. I have a ton of other songs purchased from the iTunes Store that play just fine, and the same two tracks play fine on Traktor on my iPhone. Any ideas on any other actions I can take to get these two tracks to play all the way?

Alternately, is there any way to contact Traktor via email or some kind of web form to see what they suggest?

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
/\/\ Sorry I use traktor and have never encountered that.

So a couple of weeks ago we put together a charity event (it's going to be a series of events, the next March 29th) and recorded all our sets boiler room style. It was a super fun night especially cause of the tracks I got to play in this set and have people enjoy it (I refuse to dj parties or anywhere where they want top 40, but I don't really want to be a DJ so it's cool!).

I went second from like 11-12 so I was semi-opener, our tunes kinda ramped up in energy each set. First dude with some techno and what I refer to as real house (house that's basically the same forever, luh dat poo poo), then I did some deep stuff and my two friends followed with some Brenmar sounding stuff then Hiphop / jams and whatever.

Can't wait for the next.

The video is not aligned with the audio for some parts but that doesn't matter. I made a couple of messups as well but really whatever it was tight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19dYA5cM-jk

The other vids are up on that channel as well.

e;
\/ if they're hipsters they'll probably like the deep house but if it's bros & bitties they likely won't (not positive though it depends!). Also I don't know how I'd go about that cause of the tempo change between the genres, if you can do delay outs and stuff and manage it it would be cool! I guess the main thing is try to keep the energy level changes not too drastic.

Blowdryer fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 21, 2014

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I DJ for a Ball for my <university business club> in a month. I plan on playing half fun deep-house stuff and half more mainstream rap/r&b. Is this a bad idea? Should I split them 50/50 or intermingle them? I was going to intermingle but I felt I should consult this thread first.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001
Nice one Swan. If you had told me that was a real boiler room set I would have believed you:).

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

an skeleton posted:

I DJ for a Ball for my <university business club> in a month. I plan on playing half fun deep-house stuff and half more mainstream rap/r&b. Is this a bad idea? Should I split them 50/50 or intermingle them? I was going to intermingle but I felt I should consult this thread first.

I tend to keep it mostly mainstream because that's what they want to hear. If this crowd is into the deep-house stuff then go ahead and play it, but I would just be cautious and have some more mainstream stuff prepared in case they don't like it.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

keevo posted:

I tend to keep it mostly mainstream because that's what they want to hear. If this crowd is into the deep-house stuff then go ahead and play it, but I would just be cautious and have some more mainstream stuff prepared in case they don't like it.

I feel you. When I was mixing trap before this was easy because there is a trap remix for every popular song anyway and it was easy to mix with regular rap/trap songs. When I say deep house I don't mean the really deep minimal stuff but more vocal stuff that is easy to dance/groove to, but I may revise my list to be more mainstream rap/pop. I was mainly interested if anyone has success stories of mixing deep/tech stuff with more mainstream style rap, i.e. stuff with completely different tempos. Not sure if it's possible but sounds fun.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I was playing a bunch of deep house (not my usual bag) at my last gig, and a girl came up all flirty and specifically asked for some "sexy hip-hop", so I searched through by tempo and found a Wiz Khalifa track that was somewhere around 122BPM, spun-back and mixed from there. So yeah, it's good to have a bag of stuff that's organized by tempo that you can use to switch out of your 'deep head' poo poo. Bonus points if you're on point with a looper/other DJ effects and can get right back into a steady mixing tempo while making the crowd go 'whoa'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

This is a crosspost but I thought it would be a good idea to ask you guys too!

So I just bought a macbook and I was wondering if there is a way to have a automatic folder sync through local wifi between my music folder on my pc and my music folder on the mac laptop. I intend to use the macbook solely for uni and djing but I still use my main computer to download music so I was looking to minimize the hassle of this. I've been scouring the internet for a few hours but I haven't really found anything that looks promising, just a whole lot of cloud services which I'm not interested in.
Thanks!