Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Sure, lets try. Favourite political ad for me has to be the Obamacare Sharknado.

Edit: Whoops, new page. Sorry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Favorite political ad: How can you go wrong with this beauty?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
As an Australian, gently caress Australia. They stole our Meteor :argh:

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
This isn't exactly a political ad, but it's still going to be my campaign front:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XTiI1e-wVc

Ignore the video's title: the Deputy Prime Minister gets his own back.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
From here on out whenever the team is in some difficulty my answer will be to throw money at Meteor. From non-entities to stunning the top team in the league at home in the Olympic loving Stadium is all the evidence that I need.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Good recovery these few weeks although Metero will be missed dearly in our campaign especially for sich a silly tournament.

As for a political ad I got this beauty, which could be considered NSFW, although I doubt it but I'd rather warn just in case.

http://www.ariva.de/rep_a631239

Translation for those that don't speak german: The Slogan reads " Which rear end are you going to vote for this September?", with the asses colored in the color of the strongest parties in Germany: Black for CDU, Red for SPD, Green for Die Grünen and Yellow for the FDP.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

CVE posted:

Translation for those that don't speak german: The Slogan reads " Which rear end are you going to vote for this September?", with the asses colored in the color of the strongest parties in Germany: Black for CDU, Red for SPD, Green for Die Grünen and Yellow for the FDP.

They don't like the Greens, huh?

And yeah, I'd call that NSFW, or not work friendly, at least for the US. It's nothing prurient, but it is nearly naked butts.

Cityinthesea posted:

How can you go wrong with this beauty?

Mike Gravel, before he was a joke of a Presidential candidate after being out of public life for almost thirty years, actually has some impressive history as a Senator. He's the one who read the Pentagon Papers* into the congressional record. All speech is allowed on the Senate floor, regardless of topic, and no Senator can be charged with a crime for what they say. The Senate record is a public record. So by reading the Pentagon Papers into the record, Gravel made them officially public and thus dispelled any risk of prosecution for disclosing state secrets for those covering the story.

* Which revealed that the military knew Vietnam was a quagmire, no win situation years before it would admit it, and that the US had launched secret military invasions of Laos and Cambodia. When it was published by the NY Times in 1971 the Nixon administration tried to arrest and convict the reporter who published the leak, and committed a whole bunch of crimes to try and discredit the author. Those crimes later turned up during the Watergate investigation.

TL;DR, Mike Gravel wasn't always a joke, Nixon is such an rear end in a top hat, and yes, that ad was awesome.

Obliterati posted:

This isn't exactly a political ad, but it's still going to be my campaign front:

You're going to egg Sky Shadowing from point blank range? That's a bold move, Cotton.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 10, 2014

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

habeasdorkus posted:

eta: Oh god, is that a TPP avatar, Sky Shadowing? Ok, my finest compliments to whoever unseats this monster from our club presidency!

Nuh uh, I put my old avatar back. :colbert:

That avatar was a good idea when I was thinking of it, but in practice, I wasn't that happy with it.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

This isn't exactly a political ad, but it gives a reasonable representation of the candidates in the 2008 Canadian election.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hfGy_b87gI

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Right then. Someone from Monty Python, try to convince people to vote!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gv4Abt3sZU

sulovilen
May 6, 2013
I'm gonna go with the Best Party of Iceland with their 10-point plan which had 13 points, including such gems as:

Best Party posted:

Free bus rides for students and cripples: We can offer more free things than any other party because we aren’t going to follow through with it. We could say whatever we want. For example, free flights for women or free cars for people who live in rural areas. It’s all the same.

Free access to swimming pools for everyone and free towels: This is something that everyone should fall for, and it’s the election promise we’re most proud of.

In the end they got this guy elected as the mayor of Reykjavik: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cTAJNxwur0

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

AJ_Impy posted:

Right then. Someone from Monty Python, try to convince people to vote!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gv4Abt3sZU

I am a huge sucker for the Alternative Vote/Instant Runoff Voting system. You know how to push my political science wonk buttons. I'm sad but unsurprised it got beaten massively in the UK, and disappointed that the Lib Dems sold their soul for it. Did make for another great season of The Thick of It, though.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

habeasdorkus posted:

Forgot to look this up earlier. RNK Split has won the past two years, before that Hajduk won back to back, then Split again. Dinamo hasn't won since the game started, which is a little surprising. I have the Croatian league turned on, we're going to have a feeder team there at some point in the next several years so I can gets me some easy EU citizenship for non-EU players. If you have a favorite in the league let me know and I'll see if we can make an agreement with them.

Thanks, but let me just say I wish the Czech Republic had access to the Adriatic Sea :ssh:

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
The Official Monster Raving Loony Party campaigning in the last general election.

I really do love British Politics!

habeasdorkus posted:

I am a huge sucker for the Alternative Vote/Instant Runoff Voting system. You know how to push my political science wonk buttons. I'm sad but unsurprised it got beaten massively in the UK, and disappointed that the Lib Dems sold their soul for it. Did make for another great season of The Thick of It, though.

British people do not vote for change, that is pretty much an eternal rule of British Politics.

In fact, the only thing we would ever vote to change is to roll back certain stuff like EU membership!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

habeasdorkus posted:

It was perhaps naive to put it so far up the agenda at a time when there was so much else that was a higher priority to get resolved, especially given the usual problems with voter apathy. Still, it will be interesting to see if we go from one coalition to another in 2015, although the worst case scenario would be someone giving UKIP a place in government.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

AJ_Impy posted:

It was perhaps naive to put it so far up the agenda at a time when there was so much else that was a higher priority to get resolved, especially given the usual problems with voter apathy. Still, it will be interesting to see if we go from one coalition to another in 2015, although the worst case scenario would be someone giving UKIP a place in government.

I wouldn't consider that a *bad* scenario, lets face it, they get a lot of the vote and do deserve at least some theoretical say in government to represent the views of those who vote for them (even if those people are more bonkers than the OMRLP).

I think we all know, unless Scotland votes for Independence (pretty much not going to happen) that we will have a small Labour majority after the next election unless Millipede really fucks it up.

Anyway, enough derailing!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Haha, yeah, I certainly increased the risk of derailments when I asked for best political stuff.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
My favorite political ad is a mailing:

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Mad Wack posted:

That reminds me of an ad I just can't find a picture off. Here in Germany we got a politician (who always wears a bowtie) who wants to to cut doctors's pay so the doctors themselves put up an ad titled "Stoppt die Fliege" picturing a fly swatter smashing a bow tie since the german word "Fliege" can mean both fly and bowtie.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Mad Wack posted:

Is it wrong that my first reaction to reading this is "it's damage per second you assholes"

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Mad Wack posted:

She won that election, too.

There's a few recent classic political ads that I'm waiting to see if they pop up. I might post a few if they don't get mentioned by the time of the next update. Bad/clever political ads are fun.

JT Jag posted:

Is it wrong that my first reaction to reading this is "it's damage per second you assholes"

I KNOW! Geez. They're never going to get a raiding slot with a progression guild like that.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

While this isn't an ad, it pretty much evolved into an anti-CDU ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWoya3u6vAM

You don't really need to know German to understand this - all you need to know that the clip in the beginning is that politician stating that English is very important in today's world, and if you want to work, you need English. What follows is a speech from this politician in English. I think I need to reiterate that that is in fact English he's speaking.

This guy is an EU commissioner for energy.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

JT Jag posted:

No you are not alone. "Deaths per second", way to show that you don't understand the game.

I have to say I am a big supporter of Sky Shadowing and hope the magic duo Brown/Shadowing can continue to lead Wrexham to ever bigger success.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

TheMcD posted:

While this isn't an ad, it pretty much evolved into an anti-CDU ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWoya3u6vAM

You don't really need to know German to understand this - all you need to know that the clip in the beginning is that politician stating that English is very important in today's world, and if you want to work, you need English. What follows is a speech from this politician in English. I think I need to reiterate that that is in fact English he's speaking.

This guy is an EU commissioner for energy.

Oh God I remember that. That was so hilarious. Always reminds me of the "Deutsche Bahn".

Reminds of this satire pic

Obviously it was before Fukushima as afterwards she let her promises to the industry drop as fast as hot potatoes.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
drat, I thought of the Gravel ad immediately but it's already taken.

Ok, how about some demon sheep?

Tetrodo
Oct 21, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

They don't like the Greens, huh?

Well, the add is for the extreme right-wing scumback party "Die Republikaner".
Choice of butts notwithstanding, they don't like any democratic party.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Tetrodo posted:

Well, the add is for the extreme right-wing scumback party "Die Republikaner".
Choice of butts notwithstanding, they don't like any democratic party.

Yeah there are also tons of NPD (e.g. the Nazi Party) ads I could post which are hilarious in how incredibly dumb they are but I don't really wanna cross that line even for comedy.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Shieldhill posted:

drat, I thought of the Gravel ad immediately but it's already taken.

Ok, how about some demon sheep?

Yeeeeees. I was waiting for this one.

CVE posted:

Yeah there are also tons of NPD (e.g. the Nazi Party) ads I could post which are hilarious in how incredibly dumb they are but I don't really wanna cross that line even for comedy.

I appreciate your discretion.

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!
I want in on the running, and I'm going to stick to Gnarr, the mayor of Reykjavík as well, with his party's cover of Tina Turner's Simply the Best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxBW4mPzv6E

Also in this video:
Einar Örn Benediktsson from the Sugarcubes and Ghostigital. Runs music label Bad Taste (Smekkleysa)
Ágústa Eva Erlendsdóttir who played Sylvia Night that performed at Eurovision in 2006.
Óttar Proppé was a member of HAM (the Icelandic punk rock band) and currently vocalist of Dr. Spock. Jón Gnarr's #2. Also he's currently a member of the Icelandic congress as well as being a member of Reykjavík's city council. Also posed nude to advertise the bookstore where he worked.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The 'Dancing Cossacks' 1975 ad for the National Party (The largest political party in NZ) is almost certainly our most infamous and is a sort of local byword for terrible political ads. It was successful too! Rob Muldoon was probably New Zealand's most divisive prime minister, but he stayed in the driver's seat for almost ten years.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

I hate our conservative party but even I have to admit that this is one of the finest pieces of political advertising ever produced. Especially seeing as how it was the same party that a few years before had produced this.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

And then you have their opposition...the ever esteemed Labour party. :sigh:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Here's another Conservative one, because scaremongering with glowing red eyes is so effective:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVUrXu3Y9Kg

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

AJ_Impy posted:

Here's another Conservative one, because scaremongering with glowing red eyes is so effective:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVUrXu3Y9Kg

I am so loving old :(

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Canada's most "infamous" attack ad. (Edit: Chretien talks out of the side of his mouth due to Bell's palsy.)

What passes for a Canadian attack ad today.

I really feel like I'm missing out... :sigh:

McGavin fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 10, 2014

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

For those of you not wanting to watch the first ad, the conservatives made fun of Liberal Leader (and PM after this ad came out) Jean Chretien for having facial paralysis from Bell's Palsy.

Also, the second one is Justin Trudeau mock stripping for a liver cancer fundraiser. (Fun fact: After the ad, the foundation raised several thousands of dollars from people pissed off about the ad)

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
You want a no holds barred attack ad? Here's Lyndon Johnson's ad from the 1964 presidential election that promises that if Goldwater gets elected little girls will literally be nuked in a field:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDTBnsqxZ3k

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!
Just when we lock down Meteor for a long-term contract we get potentially screwed over not by freak injury, but loving international play. I never wished ill will for any team(really don't care how well they do-as long as mine is better), but gently caress the Australian National Team. Hope they get embarassed by some third world team.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Zeroisanumber posted:

You want a no holds barred attack ad? Here's Lyndon Johnson's ad from the 1964 presidential election that promises that if Goldwater gets elected little girls will literally be nuked in a field:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDTBnsqxZ3k

You rear end in a top hat, I was going to throw that one down :argh:

How does a professional wrestler get elected? By running this just before the election:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSACk65D3pk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"
Throwing my hat in for the election!

While not an 'actual' political ad, here's the movement to End Women's Suffrage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_L5YH9Qlr4

• Locked thread