Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

darealkooky posted:

Another good rationalization for the jailcell is that the listed range is simply "range stand can punch good at and their specific powers can effect" and not "max range period"

That doesn't explain how Jotaro got a goddamn treadmill through prison bars, but oh well.

Star Platinum has a lesser known ability to materialize treadmills. Just treadmills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

WickedHate posted:

Star Platinum has a lesser known ability to materialize treadmills. Just treadmills.

It's like Bites The Dust, it's a secondary ability that manifests itself in workout equipment. It's called Let's Get Physical.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

WickedHate posted:

Star Platinum's hobby is to disassemble then assemble stuff. He's very precise.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

WickedHate posted:

It's not like any other JoJo has such similar stands though. Platinum Star and The World are basically palette swaps.

There was no point in Jonathan having a stand at all really. It'd have been better if Dio's spying was just vampire magic.

Hey now, there's no such thing as magic in JJBA. Vampirism is a highly technical application of such sciences as mesmerism and vitalism. Also a bit of recapitulation theory when Kars manages to become the Ultimate Being.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

HitTheTargets posted:

Hey now, there's no such thing as magic in JJBA. Vampirism is a highly technical application of such sciences as mesmerism and vitalism. Also a bit of recapitulation theory when Kars manages to become the Ultimate Being.

Yeah, when Mackey Mause and Ronald Ruck come to life is due to the orgone energy assimilated by the stands.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

WickedHate posted:

The ever-increasing specificity of JJBA powers will reach a head when the next JoJo's stand's sole power will be to create comically-oversized bath tub drains on any surface.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

mr. stefan posted:

The ever-increasing specificity of JJBA powers will reach a head when the next JoJo's stand's sole power will be to create comically-oversized bath tub drains on any surface.

Part 8 has super goofy stands right now but none of them are as stupid as Tubular Bells.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

mr. stefan posted:

It can drain things from the enemy, as well as combining a bunch of drains into a cylindrical figure for oraora-ing. It can be called 「Splish Splash」

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Part 8 has super goofy stands right now but none of them are as stupid as Tubular Bells.

Tubular Bells owns though. Every one of Part 7's stands were loving great.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Tubular Bells is the one that made attack dog balloon animals out of nails, right? Because if so that's basically brilliant.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

mr. stefan posted:

You laugh, but you can't deny how handy that kind of ability would be.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

a cartoon duck posted:

Tubular Bells is the one that made attack dog balloon animals out of nails, right? Because if so that's basically brilliant.

Yup. It turned metal into balloons, and if you made a balloon animal it came to life.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FirstAidKite posted:

It can drain things from the enemy, as well as combining a bunch of drains into a cylindrical figure for oraora-ing. It can be called 「Splish Splash」

Can it's battle cry be RUBADUBADUBADUBADUBADUBADUB THREE MEN IN A TUB?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

trucutru posted:

Star Platinum's hobby is to disassemble then assemble stuff. He's very precise.

You have a lot of free time in prison.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

At this point, I'm trying to think of something that wouldn't work as a JoJo stand.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

CodfishCartographer posted:

At this point, I'm trying to think of something that wouldn't work as a JoJo stand.
A few months ago I dreamed that I had a stand called Color Me Badd, but it was a weak piece of poo poo with D's and E's in every stat and its only ability was to change the color of objects, and only for a limited time. It sounded useless at first but I told an internet friend about it and we started brainstorming possible uses for it: disguises, camouflage, turning everything in a room the same color for near-invisibility, loving with an enemies' eyes, turning air molecules to solid black to create blind spots, changing traffic lights to cause a wreck, and turning an area totally white and a victim totally black on a hot day to make them pass out from heat exhaustion. If "transparent" counts as a color, there's even more possibilities. Plus you can do standard stand stuff with your extra pair of hands and eyes, which could be useful even if the range was crap.

Then it hit me that this is the kind of stuff Araki thinks of every day. No matter how lovely the power, Araki would find a way to make it deadly.

Soulcleaver fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Mar 10, 2014

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
If Araki can make a guy with zippers able to go toe-to-toe with time erasers, flesh-eating-mold spreaders, and rapid agers, he can make any power work.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

If Araki can make a guy with zippers able to go toe-to-toe with time erasers, flesh-eating-mold spreaders, and rapid agers, he can make any power work.
I suddenly imagine an Iron Chef style contest at the Jump offices where they pit him, Oda and Togashi against each other to find the most creative uses for mundane sounding abilities.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I still don't get how the dude in part 5 who can turn your blood into razor blades didn't just instantly murder anyone he fought with.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Not even the deepest blade can cut plot armor.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

a cartoon duck posted:

I still don't get how the dude in part 5 who can turn your blood into razor blades didn't just instantly murder anyone he fought with.

I remember reading somewhere that the amount of metal in someone's blood is so miniscule that it wouldn't even be able to form into a single razor, so he should feel lucky he managed to accomplish anything at all.

I'm legit trying to think of a stand power that would be completely useless, but I honestly can't.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

I remember reading somewhere that the amount of metal in someone's blood is so miniscule that it wouldn't even be able to form into a single razor, so he should feel lucky he managed to accomplish anything at all.

I'm legit trying to think of a stand power that would be completely useless, but I honestly can't.

Survivor

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Survivor is great though. "Let's you and him fight" is a cool power.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Uh yeah, Survivor was used in the best way that kind of stand could. Encouraging a terrifying guard with the powers to summon meteors into fighting the people you're trying to kill.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Nukesaku. I like to imagine his Stand is named Dude Looks Like A Lady, just so that it's that much less able to trick people.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I just figured he developed the Sweet Vamprire Power to have a girls face on the back of his head.

Like how Dio made dog people.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

HitTheTargets posted:

Nukesaku. I like to imagine his Stand is named Dude Looks Like A Lady, just so that it's that much less able to trick people.

That was not a stand.

Anyway Cheap Trick was pretty useless. For the User anyway.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

That was not a stand.

Anyway Cheap Trick was pretty useless. For the User anyway.

Must've sucked to be Carne when he discovered what Notorious B.I.G.'s stand power was.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How would he even know its power anyway? Is there a Stand who's power is to know what other Stands do?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

RatHat posted:

How would he even know its power anyway? Is there a Stand who's power is to know what other Stands do?

This would actually be pretty interesting, the user would always know everyone's exact strengths, weaknesses, and most importantly their limitation.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think you just kinda know what your Stand can do. I mean, it is basically an extension of the self.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Waffleman_ posted:

I think you just kinda know what your Stand can do. I mean, it is basically an extension of the self.

I dunno, both versions of Koichi seem to be having trouble with their stands.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Maremidon posted:

His stand also told him what it could do.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Maremidon posted:

And you're assuming that Araki is a consistent writer.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Waffleman_ posted:

Honestly the willingness to straight up throw stuff out keeps the series fresh.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Everyone just reads this to watch fabulous men pose anyway.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Waffleman_ posted:

Despite the crossovers, every part is actually an alternate universe.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

a cartoon duck posted:

Everyone just reads this to watch fabulous men pose anyway.

Aha! That's the one useless stand, the one that forces you to make fabulous poses all the time. I call it, Beat It.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
drat double posting phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Broseph Brostar posted:

Aha! That's the one useless stand, the one that forces you to make fabulous poses all the time. I call it, Beat It.
This stand appears (slightly off-screen, unmentioned by anybody) in every page of every chapter.

• Locked thread