Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Bonobos posted:

Anyone that has a HP N40L have access to the latest up to date BIOS / drivers (if any are required for FREENAS)?

I just picked up a spare and this one is apparently out of warranty and apparently any access to download drivers / BIOS updates from HP now requires a service contract/registration. What the heck were HP thinking?

um, the lady from hp made a blog post explaining that this is actually normal for the industry and........yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

thebigcow posted:

um, the lady from hp made a blog post explaining that this is actually normal for the industry and........yeah

That does not mean it's not bullshit.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

thebigcow posted:

Yeah, it kinda amused me how hard they were trying to pretend like they weren't loving an enormous number of people right in the rear end in an attempt to convince some of them to fork over for contracts.

Sure, it's "normal" for the industry to eventually stop providing new updates and poo poo for older hardware/software that's EOL'ed, and past that point you have to enter into a service contract for them to bother making updates. But it's certainly not "normal" for a company to block you from downloading whatever the last publicly provided updates were once you pass out of warranty. Bullshit, indeed.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Bonobos posted:

Anyone that has a HP N40L have access to the latest up to date BIOS / drivers (if any are required for FREENAS)?

I just picked up a spare and this one is apparently out of warranty and apparently any access to download drivers / BIOS updates from HP now requires a service contract/registration. What the heck were HP thinking?

A lot of people run a modded version of the official bios, not the one provided by HP. It's the same, but unlocks a few features like the ability to run an extra HD in the optical slot.

I followed this guide. Worked well. http://homeservershow.com/hp-proliant-n40l-microserver-build-and-bios-modification-revisited.html

ghana rheya
Dec 26, 2013
Just had a power "blink." My NAS4free won't show any activity on the admin page, I believe it's best practice to power down, reboot and set the drives to scrub zfs?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
And get a UPS, yes.

ghana rheya
Dec 26, 2013

DrDork posted:

And get a UPS, yes.

Yeah. There's a replacement battery on the way. I'll just keep it offline until that arrives.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

DrDork posted:

And get a UPS, yes.
For a home setup? Half the beauty of ZFS is that it is very much resistant to trouble caused by a power outage.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

adorai posted:

For a home setup? Half the beauty of ZFS is that it is very much resistant to trouble caused by a power outage.
True, but you're talking like $50-$100 for a small UPS. A very reasonable expense considering that most people's NASs start at like $500 once you consider HDDs. ZFS will go a long way to protecting your data, but power surges and crap can still fry hardware and cause various other issues.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ninja Rope posted:

Do they actually ask you to provide a salt, or are you saying they always use a salt but it's chosen for you?
If I recall correctly you just have to specify your password, but the salting, hashing, and encryption is done client-side.
Typically how salting is done is by generating a one-time GUID (a 128-bit randomly generated 32 digit hexidecimal string, which uses among other things a epoch timestamp) that is added to your password before it gets encrypted.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

So these 4tb WD red drives still have problems? I thought they fixed the red line to be more reliable but the newegg reviews are still pretty damning.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

sellouts posted:

So these 4tb WD red drives still have problems? I thought they fixed the red line to be more reliable but the newegg reviews are still pretty damning.
3/5 with ~900 reviews on Newegg. 4.5/5 with ~900 reviews on Amazon. Newegg has been repeatedly criticized in this thread for the lovely manner in which they package their drives for shipping, while Amazon is frequently praised.

Come to your own conclusions.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah. I run 3tb seagate drives at work from amazon and their packaging was excellent.

Handling of drives aside, is the second revision of these Red drives improved, at least on paper? I guess it's probably too new for anyone in this thread to have much experience with. I was just more curious as to what has changed, the reviews I've googled were kind of vague about it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I switched from 3TB to 4TB Reds and aside from capacity, can't say that I notice a difference. I have 3 on my desk: 2 in a dual-bay DAS and the other in my iMac as the HDD portion of a DIY Fusion setup. The 4TB drives might be a smidge louder than the old 3TB during spinup due to the extra disk, but seeks are about the same.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 10, 2014

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Synology DSM version 5 is out today, and out of beta. I installed it on my DS412+ and have been very impressed so far. The interface is this strange mixture of iOS7 and Windows 8.1, with quite a bit of reorganization. It's still very usable, though, and lots of new features to play with. I'm pretty sure their video app either supports chromecast, or will soon, which I'm looking forward to trying.

During the upgrade, I got a status email that said one of the drives in the unit (Toshiba 3TB) has 8 bad sectors. This is reason to panic and RMA the drive, right? I looked online, and no one says how many bad sectors you should see before becoming concerned.

I have 2 reds and 2 of these toshiba drives in the unit. The reds have performed flawlessly, of course.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, I'd RMA that drive. A few bad sectors inevitably turns into more - I've never had a drive work reliably for more than a few months after it first showing bad sectors.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

You'll be lucky if they'll accept it. Bad sectors - on a disk that hasn't been running for under half a year yet - aren't necessarily an indicator of a failing drive (anecdoally, I'm still using a 6 year old drive that got a few bad sectors after a few months), but there's no way to tell if you aren't graphing all pre-fail S.M.A.R.T attributes, which you really should be tracking with collectd. A worrying symptom would be a steady increase in any of those attributes.

Posting this has finally given me a use for my rpi: to run nagios, which gathers snmp from collectd and native MIBs on all my machines, and graphs it all.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 10, 2014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Civil posted:

Synology DSM version 5 is out today, and out of beta.
During the upgrade, I got a status email that said one of the drives in the unit (Toshiba 3TB) has 8 bad sectors. This is reason to panic and RMA the drive, right? I looked online, and no one says how many bad sectors you should see before becoming concerned.

My 5.0 update went smoothly but now I'm getting that Disk 1 has smart errors. Have you had any errors with the quick SMART checks? Mine never get past 90% on any disk and I'll let them run for 15+ minutes (with 1 minute as estimated time to completion).

When the tests are running on Disk 1 the System Health is marked as Good. Stops the test and it goes back to requiring attention.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

sellouts posted:

My 5.0 update went smoothly but now I'm getting that Disk 1 has smart errors. Have you had any errors with the quick SMART checks? Mine never get past 90% on any disk and I'll let them run for 15+ minutes (with 1 minute as estimated time to completion).

When the tests are running on Disk 1 the System Health is marked as Good. Stops the test and it goes back to requiring attention.

Quick test completed in a few minutes and was fine.

I'm currently running the extended test, which said it would take 255 minutes (who knows).

In the mean time, I ordered another red from amazon. Google results on bad sectors are all over the board. I'll make a run at replacement, and see what Toshiba has to say about how many errors must be found before they'll do anything.

I'd try collectd, but I got the synology so I didn't have to resort to command line nerd poo poo.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

Civil posted:

see what Toshiba has to say about how many errors must be found before they'll do anything.

On the retail box 3TB drives (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149396), the only issue I have had with the return was finding how to actually submit the drat thing. The hard drive division said they just handle OEM drives and to talk to retail, retail said they just handle external drives and talk to hard drives. While on hold, the hold message gave a 3rd url (http://www.acclaim.toshiba.com) and that one actually took the serial numbers. Everything else was painless. I did have to do 2 separate RMAs - one for each drive.

They shipped new sealed retail boxes to me (not refurb!), I flipped them in and tested them to be good and sent the bad ones back. The only thing I said in the RMA request was that the "Drive is bad" and had no complaints. Actual problem on both of them was bad blocks (that I place the blame for squarely on newegg's lovely "throw these 4 drives in a giant box and let them bounce around half way across the country" shipping method).

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Do I need a particular port open on my router to update DSM from inside the gui? When I click check for updates, I get some sort of connection failed.

Or is it their servers getting hammered?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, I'd RMA that drive. A few bad sectors inevitably turns into more - I've never had a drive work reliably for more than a few months after it first showing bad sectors.

This. I have stopped doing repair sectors on drives completely. If you are getting bad sectors it usually means something is failing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Flipperwaldt posted:

Or is it their servers getting hammered?

That one. Took a few tries to get mine going.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Caged posted:

That one. Took a few tries to get mine going.
Ok, cool. I'm not in a particular hurry.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

D. Ebdrup posted:

You'll be lucky if they'll accept it. Bad sectors - on a disk that hasn't been running for under half a year yet - aren't necessarily an indicator of a failing drive (anecdoally, I'm still using a 6 year old drive that got a few bad sectors after a few months), but there's no way to tell if you aren't graphing all pre-fail S.M.A.R.T attributes, which you really should be tracking with collectd. A worrying symptom would be a steady increase in any of those attributes.

I always do an advance replacement, so I get the new drive before the old one is even sent back to them.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

UndyingShadow posted:

I always do an advance replacement, so I get the new drive before the old one is even sent back to them.

Always do this whenever getting a drive replaced, if for no other reason than you can send the bad drive back in the manufacturer-provided container. That way they're far less likely to deny your warranty claim due to insufficient packaging. It's worth the :10bux: advance replacement fee.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Civil posted:

Synology DSM version 5 is out today, and out of beta. I installed it on my DS412+ and have been very impressed so far.

Seamless install on my DS412+ also. The downsides are the inevitable loss of all my packages installed through ipkg. Crashplan currently isn't working, because I can't get java installed either. There's 3 packages marked for update (Download Station, Glacier Backup, Python), but they timeout when I try to install. Otherwise I can't report any disk errors or similar, so overall, it feels like a safe upgrade.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
Any suggestions for a file search tool for Windows that's suitable for large-capacity network storage, specifically a DS412+? I'm used to Everything but it only does local drives. Would prefer something that a) indexes the filenames on the volume for speed (don't care about content indexing at the moment), b) will search local drives and the NAS volume with the same query, and c) supports regex syntax. Running Win7x64 Ultimate, if it matters.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

You have a few options:
If you add your shared folders in Windows Media Center to your libraries, it'll accept them despite being UNC paths (which is what it complains about when you try to add them manually).
Alternately, you can make a symlink ("mklink /d c:\share\storage \\synology\storage") - and then add it manually to your indexed folders.
Finally, there are plenty of freeware tools such as this that claim to be able to do it (using the WMC library/symlink above but done in a GUI), but your milage may vary as to how they actually function.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 11, 2014

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

SamDabbers posted:

Always do this whenever getting a drive replaced, if for no other reason than you can send the bad drive back in the manufacturer-provided container. That way they're far less likely to deny your warranty claim due to insufficient packaging. It's worth the :10bux: advance replacement fee.

Last time I RMAed a bunch of drives, neither Seagate or Western Digital even charged me for advanced replacement, it was just the default option.

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Last time I RMAed a bunch of drives, neither Seagate or Western Digital even charged me for advanced replacement, it was just the default option.

On the other hand, HGST just refused my request for such when I called it in. Worked about 2 years ago, but the guy said the policy had changed.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

FISHMANPET posted:

How long ago was that?

http://websupport.wdc.com/rdsfdc.asp?linktype=rmacreate&portaltype=wd&custtype=end&fs=&ss=&lang=en

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
A credit card is required, but they don't charge it unless you don't return the drives.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

PPills posted:

So confident that my concern now lies by the unknown fact of how exactly the product is protected when it is shipped to the vendor from the manufacturer, as opposed to the consumer from the vendor.
Like this or similar.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

FISHMANPET posted:

A credit card is required, but they don't charge it unless you don't return the drives.

They've put a $200 or $300 charge on the card I used before.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Bob Morales posted:

They've put a $200 or $300 charge on the card I used before.

Are you sure it wasn't a hold? Would show up as a pending charge.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Seagate used to charge $10 for advanced replacement from their repair depot, but it looks like they now want you to get a replacement drive from the vendor.

Don Lapre posted:

Always use a credit card, not a debit card, for these "collateral" holds so your personal funds aren't tied up until the merchant releases the hold.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Right, that's what I meant. I mean it's not a big deal but they do it.

wang souffle
Apr 26, 2002
Is there a way to see what smartd (from smartmontools) sees in the SMART data instead of a separate call from smartctl? I have no clue if the service is actually working properly from system logs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
So baby's first Synology DS214se arrived.

I'm using a mac, chucking 2x4TB WD reds in it. I've read a little bit, but is there a good do/don't list for using a NAS?

Mainly, it's just to protect my important family photos etc.