Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

ive been sperging the gently caress out on git lately its amazing once you get into the spergery

http://rogerdudler.github.io/git-guide/ is pretty great

ugh gently caress this sort of web page layout so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Bloody posted:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Bloody posted:

why?? it works gr8 on phone and tablet and it works you know it's totally not that bad on desktop

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
pretty sure i didnt get a job because i said 'i dont think that using the same layout for mobile and desktop or even just using a collapsible layout is really the best solution in all cases'

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

pretty sure i didnt get a job because i said 'i dont think that using the same layout for mobile and desktop or even just using a collapsible layout is really the best solution in all cases'

way off topic, but who's the guy in ur avatar?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Doc Block posted:

way off topic, but who's the guy in ur avatar?

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/my-phone/2013/03/dave-morin-path-facebook-apple

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
ah yes, the "my phone has no ringtone, that way i'm always on the offensive" douche bag.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
what's the best way to read XML in java

dom4j seems a lil dated

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

isnt there builtin support

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
you're going about it the wrong way. you convert your java to javascript and then use json

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

Bloody posted:

isnt there builtin support

there's jaxb but that seems to be for serializing java objects in particular, not reading arbitrary xml

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah I generally use jaxb but jaxp is probably what u want. theres a couple different parsing models so u can read up and pick the one u want.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

fff, missed jaxp completely in the mess of 2005-era google results. ty

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if u have a schema jaxb is totally the way to go and even if you don't if you have an example of a complete document u could build an xsd from it and then use jaxb.

the laziest way is to just use the XPath class I would think.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
hey shags if i wrote a java thing i wanted served on my vps what is the most lightweight, painless way for me to do that

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

applets.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

coffeetable posted:

what's the best way to read XML in java

dom4j seems a lil dated

if u just need to do something real simple or have cpu/ram constraints then sax or possibly stax. the jaxp dom api really sucks dick though, like NodeLists don't even implement Iterable

Morkai
May 2, 2004

aaag babbys

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

congratulations you know something about adaptive design. adaptive > responsive. sorry the interviewer didn't know that.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

horse mans posted:

hey shags if i wrote a java thing i wanted served on my vps what is the most lightweight, painless way for me to do that

idk of any vps hosts so I cant really help u there, but if its a war you can just throw it up in tomcat or maybe jetty.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i use runit for jars. actually on my centos vps the tomcat instance is under runit also

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Shaggar posted:

if u have a schema jaxb is totally the way to go and even if you don't if you have an example of a complete document u could build an xsd from it and then use jaxb.

found a schema, built a model, discovered jaxb owns.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i don't understand cross compilation. if i'm trying to build something targeting armv6 or w/e shouldn't it work if i'm running make on the actual device itself w/all the source, why do i need to get this tool chain poo poo

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

uncurable mlady posted:

i don't understand cross compilation. if i'm trying to build something targeting armv6 or w/e shouldn't it work if i'm running make on the actual device itself w/all the source, why do i need to get this tool chain poo poo

compiling a program on a mobile device would be pretty slow

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

coffeetable posted:

what if you made a mobile-device vm and gave it a ridiculous amount of power and resources?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

coffeetable posted:

found a schema, built a model, discovered jaxb owns.

ya. if the schema isn't updated often u can just use xjc once to build the model, but if you need to rebuild it often u can use either cxf-xjc-plugin or cxf-codegen-plugin to have maven create the model classes during the generate sources phase (or w/e phase u want really). I usually keep it in a separate project from the final client/model project. both plugins are wrappers around xjc that just makes it easier to generate than using the command line like a joker.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

coffeetable posted:

pretty much this. my thesis targeted arm and i compiled it on the device once and looool it took a good day and it wasnt even very complex. lotta embedded platforms probably can't compile for themselves at all, either.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Bloody posted:

pretty much this. my thesis targeted arm and i compiled it on the device once and looool it took a good day and it wasnt even very complex. lotta embedded platforms probably can't compile for themselves at all, either.

my general feeling is that it can't compile for itself for some dumb reason.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Bloody posted:

exactly right, tons of stuff doesn't run an underlying os so its impossible to compile on the hardware

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

what if the device is running a lunix tho

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

then ya you can install gcc or whatever and compile locally but lol don't

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

i can not figure out all this android stuff, idk if its the java build process or the android infrastructure or ??? but drat I'm floundering

old dog new tricks etc

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

fritz posted:

i can not figure out all this android stuff, idk if its the java build process or the android infrastructure or ??? but drat I'm floundering

old dog new tricks etc

are you the guy that I was just talking to on fb about this? complaining about java's enums

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

AlsoD posted:

are you the guy that I was just talking to on fb about this? complaining about java's enums

not me, i got no beef w/ anybody's enums

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
if you look long enough
enum kinda looks like anus

Morkai
May 2, 2004

aaag babbys
if you look long enough anything looks like anus.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

prefect posted:

what if you made a mobile-device vm and gave it a ridiculous amount of power and resources?

the fast android VMs run an x86 version of android

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i think android was the only of the phone os's that tried to do arm emulation. ios always did just compile and run an x86 version afaik, wp always ran x86 version of the os in hyperv

but, cross-compilation is only something that matters if your dev tools suck (e.g. you try to manage a cross-compiling setup by hand with random gcc binaries tossed together)

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i discovered that java has non-short-circuiting boolean AND and OR. I've never seen them used. gonna use every chance i get

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

why would you want that? i love abusing short-circuit AND/OR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
my code is loaded w/ if(thing!=null && thing.<the real test goes here>)

• Locked thread